Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England v Belgium 14:31 - Jun 27 with 13168 viewsElHoop

So who do we pick?

Lose the game to get an easier quarter final? I'd love to see us thrash them. I couldn't care less who we end up playing. Let's just do a proper job and give a few guys a rest, but make everyone else worry about playing us. I'd like to see Kane and Alli start the game. Give Sterling, Lingard and Loftus-Cheek a break, and change the two wing backs. But I've no idea what he'll do. I just want us to win the game, regardless of the consequences.
England v Belgium on 09:07 - Jun 28 with 2540 viewsToast_R

You know what? I've really started to take a disliking to Brazil. They were absolutely running scared of facing Germany again so yesterday the whole country went into over drive when the Germans failed to qualify for the next round. They haven't exactly been impressive themselves and it's evident the days of their breathtaking samba football are long gone. As it's replacement, they've resorted to cheap dark arts and arrogance. Neymar seems to believe he's up there with Cristiano Ronaldo but he isn't half as good and in my opinion, would struggle to get anywhere near the World Cup winning teams Brazil have had in the past and even the teams that failed to win it. I can't stand the bloke if I'm honest.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2018 9:12]
England v Belgium on 09:08 - Jun 28 with 2536 viewsTheChef

England v Belgium on 08:56 - Jun 28 by CiderwithRsie

Not necessarily. Could easily be Japan or Senegal - not mugs, but not "a far far bigger test" than Tunisia. Colombia could be seen as a big test but it's not an accident that they're 3rd in the group.

On paper whoever we get in the next round should be easier to beat than Belgium.

Remember also that playing Germany would have been seen as the tough choice a couple of days ago - anyone still think so after yesterday, and their game v Mexico, and their first half v Sweden? On current form Argentina and Brazil aren't that scary either, I'd probably take either of them rather than Croatia unless the Croats have peaked too early.

I think you're underestimating a lot of the so-called 'smaller' teams in this World Cup. We've already seen them match and even beat the bigger teams.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

England v Belgium on 09:25 - Jun 28 with 2507 viewsTonto

Play the best team minus anyone who has a knock (Trippier and Alli) or on a yellow to avoid a potetnial suspension (Walker and Loftus Cheek).

Having said that Loftus Cheek is Alli's replacment, so perhaps thats a risk you take? Depends on whether they think Alli is going to be fit for the R16.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

England v Belgium on 09:36 - Jun 28 with 2494 viewsElHoop

England v Belgium on 09:25 - Jun 28 by Tonto

Play the best team minus anyone who has a knock (Trippier and Alli) or on a yellow to avoid a potetnial suspension (Walker and Loftus Cheek).

Having said that Loftus Cheek is Alli's replacment, so perhaps thats a risk you take? Depends on whether they think Alli is going to be fit for the R16.

Loftus-Cheek had an earlyish booking against Panama and he coped with that pretty well against a pretty shite bunch of individuals, although he did seem slightly restrained. I wouldn't leave him out on that basis. He needs games as he's played so few at senior level, but if he needs a rest then leave him out. Our discipline has been pretty good so far, touch wood, way better than the idiot rugby team for nistance. I feel as if the football team has something going for it that our other teams don't possess. Hopefully when all is said and done that will still be the case.
England v Belgium on 10:34 - Jun 28 with 2429 viewsNortholt_Rs

England v Belgium on 18:23 - Jun 27 by Bluce_Ree

We need to make a statement. I say we go all out. It matters.

This.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

England v Belgium on 10:36 - Jun 28 with 2421 viewsCiderwithRsie

England v Belgium on 09:08 - Jun 28 by TheChef

I think you're underestimating a lot of the so-called 'smaller' teams in this World Cup. We've already seen them match and even beat the bigger teams.

No, I'm not. That's exactly my point. Losing tonight is supposed to be a smart move for either England or Belgium because it puts us into an "easier" draw. But that's based on assuming that the "bigger" teams are tougher. As you say, that ain't necessarily so.

One thing about this WC is that England are now a "smaller" team. We've a bunch of young players many of whom play in PL sides alongside much bigger (foreign) names. Belgium have - on paper - a better PL side than we have. That's why we're all so pleased to see wins over Panama and Tunisia - because those weren't a given.

You can't say that Japan or Senegal will be a big challenge and then dismiss Tunisia as rubbish. Panama I'll give you. They're all going to be a challenge but that levelling out benefits England too.
England v Belgium on 10:46 - Jun 28 with 2414 viewsElHoop

Kane should definitely start. He only played an hour the other day, he only needs to play an hour today. If we're winning by then he can go off, and if we're losing then he can go off as it's not a total disaster if we do lose.

I'm happy to be playing Belgium now actually, because it presumably means that we can't play them again until the final. Imagine that - we meet again on July 15th. The impossible dream obviously.
England v Belgium on 11:31 - Jun 28 with 2347 viewsFDC

Watching Brazil start to click into gear last night did set me to wondering whether we should actually try to avoid them in a possible QF... but then as others have said, they have been no given results in this world cup really, and I think I'd much rather England go into the last 16 unbeaten and with the goodwill they've generated so far intact. I'd also like to know whether England really are surprisingly that good and capable of sticking a couple past Belgium, or whether the last two results can be put down to weak opposition.
Login to get fewer ads

England v Belgium on 11:35 - Jun 28 with 2338 viewsTheChef

England v Belgium on 11:31 - Jun 28 by FDC

Watching Brazil start to click into gear last night did set me to wondering whether we should actually try to avoid them in a possible QF... but then as others have said, they have been no given results in this world cup really, and I think I'd much rather England go into the last 16 unbeaten and with the goodwill they've generated so far intact. I'd also like to know whether England really are surprisingly that good and capable of sticking a couple past Belgium, or whether the last two results can be put down to weak opposition.

I'd say they only clicked into gear once they were 2-0 up and Serbia had stopped bothering.

Even at 1-0, Serbia had chances to equalise but didn't take them. Brazil look more solid than they were in 2014 without Luiz at the back, but they have Neymar like the kid in the playground who wants to score every time he gets the ball.

No team looks infallible, so far arguably Uruguay and Croatia look like the most robust sides.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

England v Belgium on 11:42 - Jun 28 with 2327 viewsFDC

England v Belgium on 11:35 - Jun 28 by TheChef

I'd say they only clicked into gear once they were 2-0 up and Serbia had stopped bothering.

Even at 1-0, Serbia had chances to equalise but didn't take them. Brazil look more solid than they were in 2014 without Luiz at the back, but they have Neymar like the kid in the playground who wants to score every time he gets the ball.

No team looks infallible, so far arguably Uruguay and Croatia look like the most robust sides.

Yeah fair point, they are flat-track bullies really -- should England end up playing them i'd suggest the best approach would be to fly at them and get them on the back-foot, they're definitely fallible at the back.

Also agree on Croatia, could definitely see them going the distance.
England v Belgium on 12:26 - Jun 28 with 2284 viewsjohncharles

Let the Belgians field a weakened team and smash them 6 - 0 . Go into the Brazil match full of goals and confidence.

Strong and stable my arse.

England v Belgium on 13:02 - Jun 28 with 2239 viewsFDC

England v Belgium on 12:26 - Jun 28 by johncharles

Let the Belgians field a weakened team and smash them 6 - 0 . Go into the Brazil match full of goals and confidence.

There would be the small matter of the last 16 first comrade!
England v Belgium on 13:02 - Jun 28 with 2240 viewsdaveB

I'm in the worry about the 2nd round before the quarter final camp but coming 2nd does seem to have a better route to the semi final
England v Belgium on 13:07 - Jun 28 with 2236 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

My missus tells me I need to come second more often.
England v Belgium on 13:25 - Jun 28 with 2212 viewstimcocking

Changes? Huh?? Rest? Two matches? No changes required other than the tempo.
England v Belgium on 13:29 - Jun 28 with 2204 viewsElHoop

Sounds like Vardy is starting the game anyway. The Telegraph was right about Sterling the other day.
England v Belgium on 13:49 - Jun 28 with 2181 viewssimmo

This 'which side of the draw' discussion is valid, except based on what we've actually seen from the world cup so far (rather than judging a team on reputation), who do we think will be automatically easier games? Croatia have probably looked the best team so far, with Uruguay not far behind. But wouldn't you fancy us to beat this disjointed Argentina team over say Sweden, a team that has looked solid and won a group containing Germany and Mexico?

First or 2nd in the group, I don't think it matters quite as much except we'll be playing some big names in one and some in-form teams in the other.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

England v Belgium on 16:25 - Jun 28 with 2110 viewsToast_R

I'm fully expecting us to lose heroically to the first big hitter we come up against in the knock outs. So therefore we should try and win the group and reach the quarter finals which I think given the circumstances, is a good effort.

On the other hand.............

This could be like Tim Henman's 2001 Wimbledon semi final moment, never will there be a better opportunity to win the bloody thing or at least reach the final.
England v Belgium on 17:03 - Jun 28 with 2072 viewshopphoops

England v Belgium on 13:07 - Jun 28 by BazzaInTheLoft

My missus tells me I need to come second more often.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

England v Belgium on 17:23 - Jun 28 with 2053 viewsJigsore

there we go then, win this and we get Japan in the RO16

Belgium are welcome to Colombia... they look a bit good

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

England v Belgium on 17:49 - Jun 28 with 2026 viewsDorse

Give them a damn good thrashing. We have the momentum (not the Corby kind) - for once in my accursed existence as an England fan, can we please just give it a go?

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

England v Belgium on 19:02 - Jun 28 with 1980 viewsBlameMcLintock

Sir Les is in Oslo and is guesting the NRK studio to talk England. The presenter failed to mention QPR when he was presented
Made up for this blunder later. I guess some norwegian R's made the effort and phoned in a complaint.
Some interesting info about Kane's development from his Tottenham days.

England v Belgium on 19:29 - Jun 28 with 1955 viewsCamberleyR

Can anyone explain to me how the holy fúck Marouane Fellani has had the career he's had playing at the clubs he has and at international level? Can't pass, isn't quick and has no great talent it seems except being a dirty, awkward fúcker who's okay in the air. He is absolute dogshit.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

England v Belgium on 19:30 - Jun 28 with 1954 viewsaston_hoop

England v Belgium on 19:02 - Jun 28 by BlameMcLintock

Sir Les is in Oslo and is guesting the NRK studio to talk England. The presenter failed to mention QPR when he was presented
Made up for this blunder later. I guess some norwegian R's made the effort and phoned in a complaint.
Some interesting info about Kane's development from his Tottenham days.

Excellent! will switch over to that at half time then! a huge improvement. Is there anyone duller than Gary Neville and Lee Dixon? oh yes, Ryan Giggs!

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

England v Belgium on 19:45 - Jun 28 with 1920 viewsTacticalR

Looks like England are a bit caught between playing through the midfield and playing Vardyball.

Air hostess clique

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024