Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England v Belgium 14:31 - Jun 27 with 13170 viewsElHoop

So who do we pick?

Lose the game to get an easier quarter final? I'd love to see us thrash them. I couldn't care less who we end up playing. Let's just do a proper job and give a few guys a rest, but make everyone else worry about playing us. I'd like to see Kane and Alli start the game. Give Sterling, Lingard and Loftus-Cheek a break, and change the two wing backs. But I've no idea what he'll do. I just want us to win the game, regardless of the consequences.
England v Belgium on 20:02 - Jun 28 with 2157 viewsjohncharles

England v Belgium on 13:02 - Jun 28 by FDC

There would be the small matter of the last 16 first comrade!

Frightfully sorry, I’m Welsh. That’ll teach me to say nice things about England.

Strong and stable my arse.

England v Belgium on 20:10 - Jun 28 with 2137 views2Thomas2Bowles

So the punters said Belgium don't want to win they are happy with second

Belgium 1-0

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

England v Belgium on 20:24 - Jun 28 with 2082 viewsCiderwithRsie

Need to score those if you're a striker, Mr Rashford.
England v Belgium on 20:40 - Jun 28 with 2043 viewshubble

Good result if we lose, I reckon. Easier path to the final.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

England v Belgium on 20:52 - Jun 28 with 2015 viewsCamberleyR

Poxy ITV. We never win an important/semi-important game when they cover it exclusively.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

England v Belgium on 20:55 - Jun 28 with 1998 viewsStanisgod

One man team. 😍😍Can anyone tell me what Dier actually does?

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

England v Belgium on 20:55 - Jun 28 with 1996 viewsCiderwithRsie

England v Belgium on 20:40 - Jun 28 by hubble

Good result if we lose, I reckon. Easier path to the final.

Don't really buy that; don't think we're going to the final and I think if Colombia turn up they'll be a lot harder to get past in the RO16 than Japan would have been.

Put in our place a bit by a very good Belgian side even without Lukaku, E Hazard etc. But not humiliated either and played the game in the right spirit.

Almost literally a case of men against boys and despite what I said about Rashford upthread I don't hold it against the kid.
England v Belgium on 21:11 - Jun 28 with 1933 viewsstevec

Perfect result, against the big names and we always get a spanking.

Colombia/Swiss/Sweden, no excuses, semi final is beckoning
Login to get fewer ads

England v Belgium on 21:13 - Jun 28 with 1929 viewsactonman

Playing games of football not caring if we lose so we might have an easier time ahead smacks of bonus games syndrome !!

Play to win ffs ! that was a bit of a pathetic showing by both teams , makes the competition a bit of a farce tbh
England v Belgium on 21:14 - Jun 28 with 1924 viewshubble

England v Belgium on 20:55 - Jun 28 by CiderwithRsie

Don't really buy that; don't think we're going to the final and I think if Colombia turn up they'll be a lot harder to get past in the RO16 than Japan would have been.

Put in our place a bit by a very good Belgian side even without Lukaku, E Hazard etc. But not humiliated either and played the game in the right spirit.

Almost literally a case of men against boys and despite what I said about Rashford upthread I don't hold it against the kid.

We were never going to win with the B team playing, so I'd say Southgate wanted this result, despite what he said. Not fazed at that we lost, we didn't have our best players on the pitch.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

England v Belgium on 21:20 - Jun 28 with 1897 viewsBrianMcCarthy

A neutral (though sympathetic) view, for what it's worth.

England's reserves mostly played to the same plan as the first team which shows fine coaching and management - played it out well from the back, pace on the wings, solid in centrefield. The only change I noticed was that England started the game by going long over the top for Vardy. That soon stopped.

I would as that England had as many chances as Belgium, but were beaten by a good goal that should have been closed down better (can't make my mind up if Courtouis would have kept it out...).

England's set pieces were too close to Courtouis, but generally showed invention again. I thought the spirit, tempo and workrate were very good and there were many positives. probably unlucky not to draw.

Negatives - didn't find any invention among the subs. The bench looks weak.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

England v Belgium on 21:26 - Jun 28 with 1878 viewsElHoop

We've burned a load of reserves tonight. Was it worth it? Maybe if nobody in the first XI gets injured, but if we lose anybody to injury/suspension then those coming in won't have much confidence. I'm not convinced that we got it right in resting so many, but hopefully I'm wrong.
England v Belgium on 21:27 - Jun 28 with 1877 viewsPunteR

Play your best team.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

England v Belgium on 21:46 - Jun 28 with 1822 viewsCiderwithRsie

England v Belgium on 21:14 - Jun 28 by hubble

We were never going to win with the B team playing, so I'd say Southgate wanted this result, despite what he said. Not fazed at that we lost, we didn't have our best players on the pitch.

Agree with that, though not a full Belgian side either.

I'm not fazed either, partly because I have low expectations, but I don't think England looked anything like inventive enough to make chances from open play against a good side. And the A team would probably be Sterling, Alli, Lingard and Henderson, but at least two of those haven't sparked yet either.

I think this "easy route" thing could bite us in the arse. QF or SF would be beyond expectations pre-tournament for me and I'd back us to get to the QF past Japan any day; not so sure about Colombia, could go either way easily. QF v Sweden or Switzerland is supposed to be easier than v Brazil or Mexico but Sweden stuffed Mexico and Switzerland drew with Brazil, I think it's a bit disrespectful to the Swissyswedes (and overly cowardly about a pretty uninspiring Brazil this WC).
England v Belgium on 21:51 - Jun 28 with 1801 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England v Belgium on 21:46 - Jun 28 by CiderwithRsie

I'm not fazed either, partly because I have low expectations, but I don't think England looked anything like inventive enough to make chances from open play against a good side. And the A team would probably be Sterling, Alli, Lingard and Henderson, but at least two of those haven't sparked yet either.

I think this "easy route" thing could bite us in the arse. QF or SF would be beyond expectations pre-tournament for me and I'd back us to get to the QF past Japan any day; not so sure about Colombia, could go either way easily. QF v Sweden or Switzerland is supposed to be easier than v Brazil or Mexico but Sweden stuffed Mexico and Switzerland drew with Brazil, I think it's a bit disrespectful to the Swissyswedes (and overly cowardly about a pretty uninspiring Brazil this WC).

Can’t agree with this more.

One thing I have learned is there is no easy team in the WC.
England v Belgium on 21:57 - Jun 28 with 1781 viewsCamberleyR

England v Belgium on 21:46 - Jun 28 by CiderwithRsie

Not forgetting our woeful record against Sweden over the years. Until we beat them in a friendly in late 2011, we hadn't beaten them since the late 60s a run that stretched to 12 games.

I wouldn't have worried about facing Brazil neither. Bar Coutinho they are a very average side.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2018 22:01]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

England v Belgium on 22:04 - Jun 28 with 1753 viewsElHoop

I understand the need to give reserves some game time to keep them interested, but when that game time exposes them as substandard as a group, then what was the point? Surely it would have been better to keep a better balance between the two different 'sides'? We could have rested some against Panama as well.
England v Belgium on 22:43 - Jun 28 with 1674 viewsozexile

Agree with the sentiment on here. Plus we still don't know if we're any good?
The players still don't know how they rate cause they haven't been tested.
England v Belgium on 22:44 - Jun 28 with 1669 viewsTacticalR

England v Belgium on 21:51 - Jun 28 by BazzaInTheLoft

Can’t agree with this more.

One thing I have learned is there is no easy team in the WC.

What about Germany?

Air hostess clique

England v Belgium on 22:47 - Jun 28 with 1665 viewsCiderwithRsie

England v Belgium on 22:44 - Jun 28 by TacticalR

What about Germany?

Teehee.

We'll always have Neuer's walkabout.
England v Belgium on 23:12 - Jun 28 with 1633 viewsingeminate

England v Belgium on 22:04 - Jun 28 by ElHoop

I understand the need to give reserves some game time to keep them interested, but when that game time exposes them as substandard as a group, then what was the point? Surely it would have been better to keep a better balance between the two different 'sides'? We could have rested some against Panama as well.

I’m really happy we lost one nil.

We go in to the next game with rested players and no significant injuries with a route to the semi final that is the most achievable in years.

Does it mean we will beat Colombia? Course not, could well slip up, but it is clearly a much better half of the draw to be in than the upper half.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

England v Belgium on 00:34 - Jun 29 with 1574 viewsOnlyMe

Where would Portugal and Argentina be without their main man? And Brazil without Neymar would be a lot less difficult to deal with.

Most of the teams still in are based on all players being on form and contributing their maximum.

France and Belgium ae the only ones who seem to have a number of different individuals who can win them games on their own.

I'd say England were with Portugal and Argentina in that we need Kane to be at his effective best when looking at hopes of any kind of success. But even his performances would probably be improved by a fit Deli Ali.

And we do have the set-piece thing to fall back on (no other team has a Fellaini who has aerial power and a great knowledge of English football and footballers to draft in).
England v Belgium on 03:46 - Jun 29 with 1506 viewsjonno

England v Belgium on 00:34 - Jun 29 by OnlyMe

Where would Portugal and Argentina be without their main man? And Brazil without Neymar would be a lot less difficult to deal with.

Most of the teams still in are based on all players being on form and contributing their maximum.

France and Belgium ae the only ones who seem to have a number of different individuals who can win them games on their own.

I'd say England were with Portugal and Argentina in that we need Kane to be at his effective best when looking at hopes of any kind of success. But even his performances would probably be improved by a fit Deli Ali.

And we do have the set-piece thing to fall back on (no other team has a Fellaini who has aerial power and a great knowledge of English football and footballers to draft in).

I think the game showed that we are woefully weak in the striking department without Kane, Vardy is out of his depth at this level and Rashford's miss was poor and worrying. I'm not convinced by the keeper either. Personally, I can't see us beating either Colombia or Sweden even with the first choice eleven.
England v Belgium on 08:12 - Jun 29 with 1409 viewsElHoop

England v Belgium on 03:46 - Jun 29 by jonno

I think the game showed that we are woefully weak in the striking department without Kane, Vardy is out of his depth at this level and Rashford's miss was poor and worrying. I'm not convinced by the keeper either. Personally, I can't see us beating either Colombia or Sweden even with the first choice eleven.

It was disappointing, no question. If the idea was to keep up the morale of the group then surely that was a failure? It's not impossible to lift the side for the Colombia game, but we're looking very short of numbers in key areas now. The creativity of the side seems to revolve around Henderson, Alli, Sterling and Lingard and there's little or no cover for those guys. They will all play against Colombia, as will Kane, but I'm not sure that Harry would have had much luck last night without any creativity behind him. We can't afford any key injuries, so in that respect Southgate was right to play safe. If it's coming home then we need luck with injuries just for a start.
England v Belgium on 08:42 - Jun 29 with 1386 viewsingeminate

England v Belgium on 08:12 - Jun 29 by ElHoop

It was disappointing, no question. If the idea was to keep up the morale of the group then surely that was a failure? It's not impossible to lift the side for the Colombia game, but we're looking very short of numbers in key areas now. The creativity of the side seems to revolve around Henderson, Alli, Sterling and Lingard and there's little or no cover for those guys. They will all play against Colombia, as will Kane, but I'm not sure that Harry would have had much luck last night without any creativity behind him. We can't afford any key injuries, so in that respect Southgate was right to play safe. If it's coming home then we need luck with injuries just for a start.

Further positives to having a much better draw, no injuries and rested players is the performance backed up southgate’s decision making. Henderson over Dier, sterling over Rashford, young over rose all look solid decisions. Though Rashford remains a phenomenal impact sub. The only down side is Pickford has looked a bit dodgy.
There are so many reasons to be positive that I can’t help thinking that anyone bleating about lost momentum or missed opportunities must be a pretty half empty type person.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024