Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Post-match comments (Blackpool) 22:43 - Sep 25 with 14646 viewsphilosopher

Disgraceful. Seems to be blaming young players for not being up to it, and after the way he has treated them.
Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 08:54 - Sep 26 with 2457 viewsmakaveli1882

Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 08:51 - Sep 26 by stevec

Aside of Grant Hall and Scowen which of last nights team do you think are fit to wear a first team shirt?

Forget last nights result, who else in that side is good enough for the Championship?

Are they fit to wear the Hoops??

Hall is never fit that's the issue and let's be honest a bit of a myth.

Scowen didn't he have to be subbed after 25 minutes to stop him being sent off?
Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 09:08 - Sep 26 with 2423 viewsHunterhoop

Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 08:47 - Sep 26 by Northernr

Sixth clean sheet of the season for Blackpool with Tilt at the back. Tilt who Penrice had picked out for Holloway to sign this summer but McClaren didn't want because he didn't want lower league players.

God, that’s depressing.
Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 09:09 - Sep 26 with 2423 viewsNorthernr

Aside of Grant Hall and Scowen which of last nights team do you think are fit to wear a first team shirt?

Forget last nights result, who else in that side is good enough for the Championship?

I think Bright is potentially useful to us at the moment, playing without wingers and often struggling to break teams down, playing with no pace at all. Certainly the last 30 minutes when we were wasting time against a crap Birmingham side at 0-0 I would like to have seen him, and much earlier during that boring load of old crap against Norwich. By not even using him occasionally from the bench after he tore into Bristol Rovers sends a terrible message which came home to roost last night which is, play however you like in these cup games, even if you tear the place apart you're not getting picked in the next game.

I thought Smyth looked great in games last season, driving to the byline and delivering quality service, also posing a goal threat. Now completely bombed out and totally demoralised.

This placing of the senior players, lots of whom are on loan, on a pedestal above the younger and fringe players, all of whom are signed permanently, won't end well for him. It looks and sounds terrible, it's uber short term and it'll make for a fractured dressing room.

And if you're right and they're not good enough, then they shouldn't have been fcking playing last night either. That was a big chance for us to actually inject a bit of excitement into things with a cup run, a big tie at home in the next round. For a club that's whinging about money all the time (justifiably) they don't half seem keen to pass up the opportunity to get 18,000 people in for Spurs or Arsenal at home or something like that.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 09:12 - Sep 26 with 2413 viewsLblock

ARe you judging it solely on last night though? If you are then nobody but I think the wider picture needs looking at.

I’ve seen the following perform very, very well in a first team shirt:-
Pav
BOS
Chair
Manning
Smyth
Kakay
They all now seem to be on the very edgesof the periphery and I just can’t get my head around why.
Pav’s decline seemed to start under Ollie and he went from probably our best player to a sack of shite very quickly.
BOS should be a first team regular but we seem intent on shoehorning certain players in ahead of him even though he offers genuine pace and attacking threat. Smyth likewise.

It’s been mentioned here before, we lack identity and a plan and nobody seems to know where they stand unless you’re one of the expensive loans recently added. I think that might explain Scowen’s spolit brat attitude last night - another who was Mr Reliable but now seems mentall to have lost it.

Schteveee needs to sit down with the gang and have a long hard look at where we go from here because I can see Bentford in November being his nadir if he’s not careful

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 09:24 - Sep 26 with 2378 viewsDesertBoot

Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 09:12 - Sep 26 by Lblock

ARe you judging it solely on last night though? If you are then nobody but I think the wider picture needs looking at.

Pav
BOS
Chair
Manning
Smyth
Kakay
They all now seem to be on the very edgesof the periphery and I just can’t get my head around why.
Pav’s decline seemed to start under Ollie and he went from probably our best player to a sack of shite very quickly.
BOS should be a first team regular but we seem intent on shoehorning certain players in ahead of him even though he offers genuine pace and attacking threat. Smyth likewise.

It’s been mentioned here before, we lack identity and a plan and nobody seems to know where they stand unless you’re one of the expensive loans recently added. I think that might explain Scowen’s spolit brat attitude last night - another who was Mr Reliable but now seems mentall to have lost it.

Schteveee needs to sit down with the gang and have a long hard look at where we go from here because I can see Bentford in November being his nadir if he’s not careful

It could be earlier than that when "Frank Lampard's Derby" roll into town on October 6. Dogs abuse from all corners of the ground beckons.

Wish I could be like David Watts

Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 09:28 - Sep 26 with 2360 viewspaulparker

Sixth clean sheet of the season for Blackpool with Tilt at the back. Tilt who Penrice had picked out for Holloway to sign this summer but McClaren didn't want because he didn't want lower league players.

yeah but we have Baptiste and the BFG (cringe)

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 09:56 - Sep 26 with 2287 viewssmegma

McLaren didn't want lower league players ?? Then we sign the kid Ali Omar from Premier League Stevenage FC under 18s. A player who has only played in 1 home game at Loftus Rd for our under 23s, his other 2 appearances were away games and I'm 100% Steve wouldn't belittle himself to travel to an away reserve game. So on the basis of a ropey performance in the reserves he puts him into the first team squad?!!!
Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 10:02 - Sep 26 with 2275 viewsCiderwithRsie

Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 08:33 - Sep 26 by Northernr

Basically Redknapp mark 2 this.

- Comes in, takes one look at the squad, demands the signing of a clutch of expensive, senior players.

- Sticks out nonsense teams in the cup competitions and no matter how well the fringe players play in them, they've no chance of making the league team.

- When said nonsense cup team loses a game, he says "well they can't knock on my door asking for first team chances now can they?" - as if being slung together like that in a scratchy team of players that haven't played for a month is any kind of chance.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but it's almost worse than Redknapp.

At least Redknapp had a clear aim- give me enough of your money and I'll get you promoted. He was crap at it because it screwed us financially and we got up by the skin of our teeth (and he hadn't a clue how to keep us up anyway) but I could at least see the idea.

What's McClaren's idea? What would he call success?
Login to get fewer ads

Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 10:03 - Sep 26 with 2269 viewssmegma

Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 09:24 - Sep 26 by DesertBoot

It could be earlier than that when "Frank Lampard's Derby" roll into town on October 6. Dogs abuse from all corners of the ground beckons.

Abuse for Steve or Frank ?????
Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 10:05 - Sep 26 with 2257 viewsqprd

Most of the players have proven records in the Championship- Wzolek, Cousins, Smith, Baptiste. Others have shown flashes, namely Bright. Kakay, Hamalainen, Ingram and Chair still need to prove themselves at this level.

But its unfair to judge a team which is arbitrarily flung together and which has not played together. And to throw away so many bench spots on guys who have never even played in the first team.... its not justifiable.

I'm not sure if Hemed and Wells are cup-tied, but our five best players (Wells, Hemed, Luongo, Freeman, Eze) didn't even travel with the team. Meanwhile, look at the teams United and City put out there against crappy opposition.
Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 10:29 - Sep 26 with 2184 viewsdaveB

Bright Samuel, Kakay, Cousins, Pawel and Smith all capable of playing in the Championship and have shown they can do a good job for us
Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 10:34 - Sep 26 with 2165 viewsdaveB

Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 10:02 - Sep 26 by CiderwithRsie

Can't believe I'm saying this, but it's almost worse than Redknapp.

At least Redknapp had a clear aim- give me enough of your money and I'll get you promoted. He was crap at it because it screwed us financially and we got up by the skin of our teeth (and he hadn't a clue how to keep us up anyway) but I could at least see the idea.

What's McClaren's idea? What would he call success?

We knew what we were getting with redknapp, said it when he was here but the moans about him not building a team and always wanting more players was pointless, thats what you've get when you appoint Redknapp he was never going to change. If we wanted someone to build a team over time he was never the right man.

McClaren though was painted as a coach to settle things down, improve the kids, nothing erratic and play wonderful football, not quite what has happened. He's emperors new clothes, saying how great his suit looks whilst his tackle is hanging out
Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 10:46 - Sep 26 with 2140 views2Thomas2Bowles

He's a kunt, that's why there is a bush on his forehead.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Post-match comments (Blackpool) (n/t) on 10:50 - Sep 26 with 2121 viewsMick_S

Love Island.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2018 10:51]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 10:54 - Sep 26 with 2101 viewsMytch_QPR

Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 09:24 - Sep 26 by DesertBoot

What a difference a week makes.

After Millwall, I thought we may continue a reasonable run but I'm now fearing the worst over the next 3 fixtures. Swansea away was always going to be tough, Reading have suddenly woken up and started scoring 3 a game and Frank's boys will still be on a high after their exploits.

Before we know it, Ipswich will have improved as well before we get to play them...

Let's hope that Herr Island and the team prove me wrong.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 10:57 - Sep 26 with 2083 viewsstevec

Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 09:12 - Sep 26 by Lblock

Pav
BOS
Chair
Manning
Smyth
Kakay

Take yours and Clive's points.

As you say, we've seen the players you mention putting in good performances but with this level of player for every good week you'll get far too many bad weeks, that I feel is why they were predominantly lower league players and won't do a long term job for us.

Pav is a mystery, he has got ability, but seems averse to crossing the ball which is his best attribute. BOS hasn't done anything apart from the odd cameo role, certainly not in league games, Chair looked comfortable (no pun intended) in meaningless end of season games and whilst I like Kakay the fact that EVERY opposition target him tells it's own story.

Manning should still be here, far better than any of last nights midfielders.

The plus points this season have been Wells, Rangel and Hemed. Cameron will almost certainly do a job too. But despite that I get a perception from some on here that these better players are somehow holding back predominantly younger players. Surely the aim is to have a competitive first eleven and not sure why that should be questioned on the basis of age or wage, certainly not by supporters.

Again a perception, but it feels like supporters who put their faith in youth and lower league players have backed themselves so far into a corner that they are no longer able to get themselves out of it without admitting that whole policy has proved a failure.
Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 11:03 - Sep 26 with 2054 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 10:29 - Sep 26 by daveB

Bright Samuel, Kakay, Cousins, Pawel and Smith all capable of playing in the Championship and have shown they can do a good job for us

Not sure about this. Pawel, Smyth, Scowen and Manning have shown that they can compete at championship level. However the jury's out on Bright Samuel, Kakay, Cousins and Goss.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2018 11:10]
Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 11:20 - Sep 26 with 1988 viewsqprd

Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 10:57 - Sep 26 by stevec

Take yours and Clive's points.

As you say, we've seen the players you mention putting in good performances but with this level of player for every good week you'll get far too many bad weeks, that I feel is why they were predominantly lower league players and won't do a long term job for us.

Pav is a mystery, he has got ability, but seems averse to crossing the ball which is his best attribute. BOS hasn't done anything apart from the odd cameo role, certainly not in league games, Chair looked comfortable (no pun intended) in meaningless end of season games and whilst I like Kakay the fact that EVERY opposition target him tells it's own story.

Manning should still be here, far better than any of last nights midfielders.

The plus points this season have been Wells, Rangel and Hemed. Cameron will almost certainly do a job too. But despite that I get a perception from some on here that these better players are somehow holding back predominantly younger players. Surely the aim is to have a competitive first eleven and not sure why that should be questioned on the basis of age or wage, certainly not by supporters.

Again a perception, but it feels like supporters who put their faith in youth and lower league players have backed themselves so far into a corner that they are no longer able to get themselves out of it without admitting that whole policy has proved a failure.

In response to the above, I think fans are annoyed by the clear change in long-term vision. McLaren and the club pushed a strategy of playing, coaching and developing youth. This was clearly our strategy, as we basically only signed Leistner, despite losing a lot of valuable, experienced heads like Ned, Robinson, Smithies, Perch, Mackie. We were ready to live and die by our youth players, as proven by our lack of business right before the transfer window closed.

We got smashed in the first four matches and panicked; hence, singing Cameron, Wells and Hemed on loan, and Rangel on a short-term deal. The three loanees will demand minutes and inevitably suppress the development of Eze (whose forced to play out of position), Oteh (who is now further down the pecking order) and Smyth/BOS/Chair (who struggle to fit into the system)

In hindsight, we should have been realistic at the start of the season. There's no way a 16th place team can lose three of its top players and a lot of experience without adequately replacing them. But signing loanees who will be gone in a year is not a long-term solution.

And as to your point about fielding the best 11: this is relevant if you're either trying to make the playoffs or escape relegation. This team is not good enough to go up, but probably not bad enough to go down. We're going to finish somewhere between 11th and 19th. I would rather field a lesser team with youth players and finish 18th then trot out loanees and finish 15th.

At the end of the day, the final position in the league table is irrelevant if we finish mid-table. But if we can develop players like BOS and Smyth, we're better off in the long term, both on the pitch where they'll perform better and financially, where we can sell them for a higher profit.
Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 11:35 - Sep 26 with 1942 viewsstevec

Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 11:20 - Sep 26 by qprd

In response to the above, I think fans are annoyed by the clear change in long-term vision. McLaren and the club pushed a strategy of playing, coaching and developing youth. This was clearly our strategy, as we basically only signed Leistner, despite losing a lot of valuable, experienced heads like Ned, Robinson, Smithies, Perch, Mackie. We were ready to live and die by our youth players, as proven by our lack of business right before the transfer window closed.

We got smashed in the first four matches and panicked; hence, singing Cameron, Wells and Hemed on loan, and Rangel on a short-term deal. The three loanees will demand minutes and inevitably suppress the development of Eze (whose forced to play out of position), Oteh (who is now further down the pecking order) and Smyth/BOS/Chair (who struggle to fit into the system)

In hindsight, we should have been realistic at the start of the season. There's no way a 16th place team can lose three of its top players and a lot of experience without adequately replacing them. But signing loanees who will be gone in a year is not a long-term solution.

And as to your point about fielding the best 11: this is relevant if you're either trying to make the playoffs or escape relegation. This team is not good enough to go up, but probably not bad enough to go down. We're going to finish somewhere between 11th and 19th. I would rather field a lesser team with youth players and finish 18th then trot out loanees and finish 15th.

At the end of the day, the final position in the league table is irrelevant if we finish mid-table. But if we can develop players like BOS and Smyth, we're better off in the long term, both on the pitch where they'll perform better and financially, where we can sell them for a higher profit.

Except we've been doing this for the last 3 seasons and are still floundering about at the wrong end of the Division.

Anyone who saw any of those first 4 games was looking at a team facing certain relegation, they simply couldn't compete.
Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 12:26 - Sep 26 with 1807 viewshopphoops

Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 09:09 - Sep 26 by Northernr

I think Bright is potentially useful to us at the moment, playing without wingers and often struggling to break teams down, playing with no pace at all. Certainly the last 30 minutes when we were wasting time against a crap Birmingham side at 0-0 I would like to have seen him, and much earlier during that boring load of old crap against Norwich. By not even using him occasionally from the bench after he tore into Bristol Rovers sends a terrible message which came home to roost last night which is, play however you like in these cup games, even if you tear the place apart you're not getting picked in the next game.

I thought Smyth looked great in games last season, driving to the byline and delivering quality service, also posing a goal threat. Now completely bombed out and totally demoralised.

This placing of the senior players, lots of whom are on loan, on a pedestal above the younger and fringe players, all of whom are signed permanently, won't end well for him. It looks and sounds terrible, it's uber short term and it'll make for a fractured dressing room.

And if you're right and they're not good enough, then they shouldn't have been fcking playing last night either. That was a big chance for us to actually inject a bit of excitement into things with a cup run, a big tie at home in the next round. For a club that's whinging about money all the time (justifiably) they don't half seem keen to pass up the opportunity to get 18,000 people in for Spurs or Arsenal at home or something like that.

This post has been edited by an administrator

My precise thoughts, with actual knowledge added too. The club's attitude to the cups undoes so much other work in getting the fans onside, you wonder why they bother.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 12:57 - Sep 26 with 1740 viewsManinBlack

As Blackpool have only lost once in nine league games, unbeaten in their last seven, it was always going to be a difficult tie when they are on a good run and you factor in our away non performances even with a first choice team.

Year in, year out, we make wholesale changes in the cups so making nine changes was a recipe for defeat. Even though Blackpool made five changes it always seems to be the case that our lower league opponents are more motivated to perform. I am sure we would have lost in the first round to Peterborough had the game been played at London Road and last night wouldn't have happened.

The attitude of this club in this millennium to cup games has always prompted me to say to myself that we are out as soon as we get drawn away no matter who it is against. I think it is now 10 years since we last won a third round League cup tie, partly because we don't ever get that far!
Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 13:13 - Sep 26 with 1695 viewsSilverfoxqpr

Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 09:08 - Sep 26 by Hunterhoop

God, that’s depressing.

Not as depressing as this thread. Good grief what a shambles we are. Genuinely feel sorry for you poor sods who went.
Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 13:14 - Sep 26 with 1693 viewsBklynRanger

Yet another 'lucky to have me' titan of football making excuses. Smyth was excellent for us last season but now Schteve is 'opening our eyes' to him. I see....

Also Chair, Oteh and Kakay are decent emerging young players who deserve to be properly included in the squad and coached but nah, scrap 'em. Next interview he'll go full 'Arry on us: "Football's easy when you've got good players".
Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 13:39 - Sep 26 with 1598 viewsR_from_afar

It doesn't fit the narrative but this is not Redknapp mark 2, although perhaps working with Redknapp has in some way "contaminated" Steve.

Whatever we think of the strategy behind it, the loans coming in have all improved the team. Leistner has - mostly - been decent too. Although we lost on Saturday, he and Lynch looked OK together. A lot of Redknapp's additions contributed nothing and sunk without trace.

I was aghast when Manning was loaned out, though, and I am concerned about how Smyth has slid down the pecking order. Youth seems to have been deprioritised. It's impossible to know if that's all down to McClaren or if Les is also behind it. The balance appears to have tilted too far in favour of experience.

I don't think it's fair to say McClaren is *fully* to blame for undermining players' confidence. Some players have done that themselves by not performing. Undoubtedly, the pecking order thing has affected some players, though.

I wonder if the incredibly low attendance (1,910) affected some of our players' mindset last night, not that it should have. It must have felt like playing a pre-season friendly.

I thought McClaren was an obvious, though not necessarily the best, choice when he came in, although I was devastated that Ollie was dumped. After all, he (McClaren) is a very experienced coach and had clearly improved the team last time he was here. He has a lot of work to do but I think there is hope given that we have started looking more capable and solid in the league. Mercifully, we have been spared a Holloway style six game barren spell, so far. Long may that continue.

In any case, we must try to avoid becoming a club which ditches its manager after just a handful of games. If we go down that road, the only managers we will be able to attract in the future will be the mercenaries, the duff ones and those very few who have an affinity with the club.

Look, we're all jaded and dejected after two failed Premiership campaigns and all sorts of upheaval and uncertainty in the last few years, but let's get behind the team and be the 12th man. Let's roar the team on and intimidate the opposition. There's still a lot to play for this season. You Rs.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Post-match comments (Blackpool) on 14:10 - Sep 26 with 1545 viewsRangersw12

Every player from last season has regressed therefore he needs to be sacked
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024