Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McClaren gone - official 10:59 - Apr 1 with 30714 viewsAntti_Heinola

Haven't got a subscription to Murdoch's rag, but... https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mcclaren-at-risk-of-sack-after-bolton-defeat-

The club want ANSWERS, damnit!

I think he might get Saturday if only because it would be unfair on the new guy to be in charge of an inevitable absolute humiliation live on sky.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Bare bones.

Times saying SM could go this week... on 13:27 - Apr 1 with 2590 viewsE15Hoop

Times saying SM could go this week... on 13:16 - Apr 1 by SimonJames

...off the record, a senior director at a top 3 premiership club told me last year that they were surprised that someone would give LF a DoF job.

Thanks, Simon - so I'm not totally losing the plot then!
Of course he's a legend and I love chatting to him after games as we all do, but how can he have any credibility left now (like "Good Ol' Uncle Tony")?!
Hopefully, this mess might actually start getting everyone putting individual egos aside and actually working like a team - a revolutionary concept for a football club!!
McClaren gone - official on 13:28 - Apr 1 with 2586 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Up until 1970, the year of my birth, QPR had only 14 managers.

Including caretakers, we've had 44 in the 48 years since!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

McClaren gone - official on 13:29 - Apr 1 with 2573 viewsQPR_John

McClaren gone - official on 13:06 - Apr 1 by Juzzie

How long before the new Manager gets given an infantile nickname and how long before people call for him to go if results aren't good?

Mclaren was not sacked because results were not good, results were appalling.
McClaren gone - official on 13:29 - Apr 1 with 2569 viewsA40Bosh

Will Cardiff hang on to Warnock when they drop back down again?
Will Cardiff hang on to Warnock if they scrape staying up?

8 league promotions as a manager and still bringing home the bacon to Sharon and the kids

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

McClaren gone - official on 13:29 - Apr 1 with 2560 viewsBrianMcCarthy

We had 28 before Ray Wilkins and 27 since.

Ray Wilkins is the midpoint.....Christ...

McClaren gone - official on 13:30 - Apr 1 with 2536 views2Thomas2Bowles

McClaren gone - official on 13:28 - Apr 1 by BrianMcCarthy

So now we know where to lay the blame

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

McClaren gone - official on 13:32 - Apr 1 with 2493 viewslave16

McClaren gone - official on 13:30 - Apr 1 by 2Thomas2Bowles

So now we know where to lay the blame

Tiger Tim 'Roooooarrr'

Poll: Are we gonna make the play offs?

McClaren gone - official on 13:32 - Apr 1 with 2487 viewsYorkRanger

This may be unpopular to some, but personally I'd let Les call it and if that is a Sherwood/Ramsey combination then lets go with that. Different circumstances admittedly but it wasn't bad at Spurs and you have to ask could it be any worse.

I also am keen not to see another Rangers legend get destroyed by coming back as a Manager - it has happened on too many occasions - Holloway, Wilkins, Francis, Bircham, Waddock (all to a greater or lesser extent), so Ainsworth should stay away for me.

Overall though hard to shift that sinking feeling of despair....
Login to get fewer ads

Times saying SM could go this week... on 13:32 - Apr 1 with 2476 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Times saying SM could go this week... on 13:27 - Apr 1 by E15Hoop

Thanks, Simon - so I'm not totally losing the plot then!
Of course he's a legend and I love chatting to him after games as we all do, but how can he have any credibility left now (like "Good Ol' Uncle Tony")?!
Hopefully, this mess might actually start getting everyone putting individual egos aside and actually working like a team - a revolutionary concept for a football club!!

I think Ferdinand is doing a fine job in almost every aspect of his remit. I couldn't be happier with him.

The only question mark is the appointment of managers, and that's a question mark because we don't know how involved he is or whether the owners consider it part of his responsibility.

McClaren gone - official on 13:33 - Apr 1 with 2455 viewsThGrimRanger

We sacked him too soon. He was undone by a succession of injuries and some key players losing form.

I feel sorry for Les if his choices are always being overridden which looks to be the strong rumour on this board. On the plus side at least it means that our director of football is in no way accountable for the last 4 years of unmitigated dirge.

we actually deserve Sherwood

TheGrimRanger

McClaren gone - official on 13:36 - Apr 1 with 2405 viewsCamberleyR

McClaren gone - official on 13:28 - Apr 1 by BrianMcCarthy

And worse than that,only five managers (Jago, Venables, Smith, Francis and Holloway) account for about 23 of those years!

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

McClaren gone - official on 13:47 - Apr 1 with 2288 viewsJuzzie

McClaren gone - official on 13:18 - Apr 1 by davman

LBlock, pen at the ready - how quick can you turn a nickname around???

I am soooooo passed caring this time, hopefully it'll be a proper sort us out from the back merchant ahead of the Millwall game who does what Warnock did when he came back briefly - a 0-0 followed by a 1-0 win would do great thanks...

We really are screwed, aren't we? We know that the manager is not the single problem here, so who else needs to go? If Les and Hoos have not been allowed to do the job they were asked to do because they have been undermined from above, you can't sack them off, so what's left? Can Amit put his cash where his mouth is and pay Tony to pop off?

It is a royal mess, isn't it...

"We really are screwed, aren't we? We know that the manager is not the single problem here, so who else needs to go? If Les and Hoos have not been allowed to do the job they were asked to do because they have been undermined from above, you can't sack them off, so what's left? Can Amit put his cash where his mouth is and pay Tony to pop off? "

It's definitely a group responsibilty but, as ever in football, players are the only ones unsackable as a result of poor performances yet they are just as culpable as any Manager, coach, DoF, owner etc.
McClaren gone - official on 13:49 - Apr 1 with 2266 viewsPBLOCK

I don’t think SM can have too many complaints since the turn of the year it’s been beyond dire.

I think the next appointment will be key (the last four or five have but look how they’ve turned out!)

I’d let Eustace Ramsey, Furlong and Hall pick up the slack until the end of the season. At the moment the current potential successors is fairly depressing reading. As bad as it’s been I think we can probably just about stay up if that gives us the time to take stock and get the appointment right then I would be all in favour. Sherwood, Rowett and some of the others concern me greatly. Conduct a proper process and interview them properly with some due diligence. Get the appointment right even with the further financial restrictions then we could be fine. Giving it to the first person available then we could be in another situation like this by Christmas.

Personally I’d like to see us go for a Manager that sees the job as a big gig and something they can undertake with Gusto as opposed to someone who thinks they’re doing us a favour.

COYRs
McClaren gone - official on 13:50 - Apr 1 with 2260 viewsRangersDave

If our DoF was atall unhappy with whats been going on it brings 2 questions into view....

1) if he mentioned he was unhappy, did he get told to go away and shut up, and meekly did and continued to keep his head down and continue drawing a wedge a week?

2) if he said nothing, aware of whats going on and didnt like it, why didnt he resign on principal, instead of keeping his head down and drawing a wedge each week?

Either way shows to me that he's not the right fella for the job, and hasnt been since day 1.
I'm still not sure what he actually does?

Legend yeah, damn right! Legens as a DoF, to answer that you have to simply look at what we do know of his record.

I'd be cutting most of the back room jonnys loose right now, and to use a phrase oft used nowadays..... conduct a 'root and branch' culling...... team, back room boys and girls, all those who sit on the front row of the bench and seemingly do nothing week in and week out.

Press the reset button but with half the wage bill!
if we go down, so be it, but then build with a proper wage structure, no expensive loans, get the players loaned out back, give them a chance for matches in the hoops , then release if they dont cut the mustard.

Next season will be harder with more FFP and no parachute payments, so start now!

To think we had high hopes after Florist and Lids! Oh the humanity!

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

McClaren gone - official on 14:01 - Apr 1 with 2147 viewsridethewave

McClaren gone - official on 13:49 - Apr 1 by PBLOCK

I don’t think SM can have too many complaints since the turn of the year it’s been beyond dire.

I think the next appointment will be key (the last four or five have but look how they’ve turned out!)

I’d let Eustace Ramsey, Furlong and Hall pick up the slack until the end of the season. At the moment the current potential successors is fairly depressing reading. As bad as it’s been I think we can probably just about stay up if that gives us the time to take stock and get the appointment right then I would be all in favour. Sherwood, Rowett and some of the others concern me greatly. Conduct a proper process and interview them properly with some due diligence. Get the appointment right even with the further financial restrictions then we could be fine. Giving it to the first person available then we could be in another situation like this by Christmas.

Personally I’d like to see us go for a Manager that sees the job as a big gig and something they can undertake with Gusto as opposed to someone who thinks they’re doing us a favour.

COYRs

"...Furlong and Hall..."????

"Conduct a proper process and interview them properly with some due diligence. Get the appointment right even with the further financial restrictions then we could be fine.

Personally I’d like to see us go for a Manager that sees the job as a big gig and something they can undertake with Gusto as opposed to someone who thinks they’re doing us a favour. "

Exactly what we did with JFH you mean? We can't even get that right.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2019 14:02]
McClaren gone - official on 14:01 - Apr 1 with 2139 viewsrichranger

Interesting interview with Ollie on TalkSport. It seems Les wanted Holloway him to stay but decision was taken out of his hands. Ollie was full of praise for Les, but not for the board.

Anyway you can listen to the interview here https://talksport.com/football/efl/520627/steve-mcclaren-sacked-ian-holloway-qpr
McClaren gone - official on 14:06 - Apr 1 with 2074 viewsPBLOCK

McClaren gone - official on 14:01 - Apr 1 by ridethewave

"...Furlong and Hall..."????

"Conduct a proper process and interview them properly with some due diligence. Get the appointment right even with the further financial restrictions then we could be fine.

Personally I’d like to see us go for a Manager that sees the job as a big gig and something they can undertake with Gusto as opposed to someone who thinks they’re doing us a favour. "

Exactly what we did with JFH you mean? We can't even get that right.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2019 14:02]

Paul Furlong and Paul Hall both been coaching for a good few years know our youth set up so yeah.

Agree JFH didn’t work out but ‘big names’ have hardly blown the fcuking house down have they???
McClaren gone - official on 14:07 - Apr 1 with 2063 viewsTheChef

Warburton anyone?

Could probably do at lot worse.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

McClaren gone - official on 14:07 - Apr 1 with 2047 viewsDavieQPR

I think the thing that cost MacLaren his job was the Pav substitution fiasco. The crowd turned, almost to a man, with the chant"You don't know what you're doing" but in such a voracious manner.
McClaren gone - official on 14:08 - Apr 1 with 2036 viewssimmo

McClaren gone - official on 13:04 - Apr 1 by BrianMcCarthy

The right decision that brings no joy to anyone. we would all have preferred if the hugely enjoyable pre-Christmas form had continued, and we must also remember that McClaren's team was incredibly unlucky with a spate of penalty decisions which put us on this miserable run. However, there's just no arguing with recent results.

A shame. He seems an honourable man. Best of luck to him.

It's less the results I think Brian, more the manner in which we lost. Results I can take, we're used to being shite, but persistence with underachievers, a generally negative way of playing and constant uncertainty as to our best system, formation, 11, etc done for him I think.

The Bolton and Rotherham games were the tipping points but it's the way we played in those games that hurt more than the narrow losses.

I personally think the players were bang up for the cup and doing something, but once that was done they didn't have much to play for and/or wouldn't be here next season anyway. The apathy from the likes of Lynch and Hemed is indicative of that and McClaren showed he cared more about trying to get the result and sticking to 'what he knows' than thinking of the longer term view. I mean playing an entire back 4 of players out of contract next season is MENTAL when you think about it, where's the logic there for a man who's supposed to be employed for the long term?

The biggest shame is that once again, we've wasted time and wages on a failure, and now have to compensate him and potentially his army of staff too. More self-inflicted costs we can't afford.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

McClaren gone - official (n/t) (n/t) on 14:12 - Apr 1 with 1960 viewsaston_hoop

Next QPR manager:

Tim Sherwood — 4/6
Karl Robinson — 5/2
Steve Cotterill — 6/1
Nigel Pearson — 12/1
Steve Evans — 16/1
Sam Allardyce — 20/1

Great...
[Post edited 1 Apr 2019 14:15]

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

McClaren gone - official on 14:17 - Apr 1 with 1884 viewsBrianMcCarthy

McClaren gone - official on 14:08 - Apr 1 by simmo

It's less the results I think Brian, more the manner in which we lost. Results I can take, we're used to being shite, but persistence with underachievers, a generally negative way of playing and constant uncertainty as to our best system, formation, 11, etc done for him I think.

The Bolton and Rotherham games were the tipping points but it's the way we played in those games that hurt more than the narrow losses.

I personally think the players were bang up for the cup and doing something, but once that was done they didn't have much to play for and/or wouldn't be here next season anyway. The apathy from the likes of Lynch and Hemed is indicative of that and McClaren showed he cared more about trying to get the result and sticking to 'what he knows' than thinking of the longer term view. I mean playing an entire back 4 of players out of contract next season is MENTAL when you think about it, where's the logic there for a man who's supposed to be employed for the long term?

The biggest shame is that once again, we've wasted time and wages on a failure, and now have to compensate him and potentially his army of staff too. More self-inflicted costs we can't afford.

That's a very fair post, Simmo, and I don't think anyone could argue with it.

I can see how his seasons have often gone south on him in his career as his reaction to a setback is to become even more entrenched in his selections and more negative in his tactics.

As Melchet would say "doing precisely what we've done eighteen times before is exactly the last thing they'll expect".

His future, and ours while we were tied to him, seemed irreversibly doomed as a result. Personally, I just couldn't see any way out of it but for him to go.

Never nice to see someone's career take a knock, but it clearly had to be done in this case.

McClaren gone - official on 14:20 - Apr 1 with 1841 viewsCamberleyR

McClaren gone - official on 14:07 - Apr 1 by TheChef

Warburton anyone?

Could probably do at lot worse.

Already suggested him on another thread and got a typically arrogant response from that patronising git rsonist.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

McClaren gone - official (n/t) (n/t) on 14:21 - Apr 1 with 1823 viewsTheChef

McClaren gone - official (n/t) (n/t) on 14:12 - Apr 1 by aston_hoop

Next QPR manager:

Tim Sherwood — 4/6
Karl Robinson — 5/2
Steve Cotterill — 6/1
Nigel Pearson — 12/1
Steve Evans — 16/1
Sam Allardyce — 20/1

Great...
[Post edited 1 Apr 2019 14:15]

How do betting companies approach this, do they just ask the intern to write down the first five managers they can think of?

Steve Evans?? Jesus wept.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

McClaren gone - official on 14:21 - Apr 1 with 1822 viewsrobith

Holloway's response is shy and graceful

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/qpr-holloway-mcclaren-sacked-225881
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024