Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Danny Baker 11:42 - May 9 with 31131 viewsToast_R

Sacked from his BBC job, oh dear.

Stay off Twitter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48212693

Danny Baker on 10:21 - May 10 with 2689 views2Thomas2Bowles

Nothing at all racist about those ads

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Danny Baker on 11:09 - May 10 with 2583 viewsQPR_Jim

Danny Baker on 08:59 - May 10 by PunteR

Its been taken out of context though hasnt it. ? The problem with your argument now is your saying allowing posting pics of little monkeys dressed up gives racists cart Blanche to use the same images to promote their racist views. ?
Well lets just ban all images of monkeys dressed up in human clothes just in case they get used for racism.
Banning monkey pics, or even banning Twitter wont stop racist opinions. Maybe it did cross Bakers mind that it could be viewed the wrong way but then maybe he reasoned with himself that he posts pics all the time of chimpanzees so why would this be any different? Thats not an unreasonable thought process is it?
The bbc could have handled this better. Yes someone got offended and took the tweet the wrong way but Baker should have been allowed to apologise and move on.

Stop this world, i want to get off.

Has it? There's not really a context for the image, you can't use his past history of posting photos of chimp's as context for that individual photo.

I'm also clearly not saying that you can't post any photos of monkeys or anything of the sort just that a long history of posting photos of monkeys doesn't make you immune from criticism if you then link that photo to a baby with mixed race parents.

I think you said it was offensive then changed your mind based on his past posts. I had a similar reaction but the way I see it is that it doesn't make what he posted any less offensive, it just makes it more believable that his intentions were innocent.
Danny Baker on 11:58 - May 10 with 2509 viewsrobith

Though great that the BBC sacked Baker for this, but then had virulent US racist Ben Shapiro on Politics Live today, sends a great message
Danny Baker on 12:07 - May 10 with 2465 viewstraininvain

Danny Baker on 11:58 - May 10 by robith

Though great that the BBC sacked Baker for this, but then had virulent US racist Ben Shapiro on Politics Live today, sends a great message

And happy to continue paying Sugar millions despite his quite blatantly racist tweet during the World Cup last year.

Interesting use of the word 'great' btw. Not sure I'd describe anything about this situation as 'great'. Someone made a very stupid mistake and lost their job as a result.

Not exactly 'great' for anyone involved, except maybe the self righteous tw@ts charging around on twitter 'cancelling' people.
Danny Baker on 12:16 - May 10 with 2431 viewsPunteR

Danny Baker on 11:09 - May 10 by QPR_Jim

Has it? There's not really a context for the image, you can't use his past history of posting photos of chimp's as context for that individual photo.

I'm also clearly not saying that you can't post any photos of monkeys or anything of the sort just that a long history of posting photos of monkeys doesn't make you immune from criticism if you then link that photo to a baby with mixed race parents.

I think you said it was offensive then changed your mind based on his past posts. I had a similar reaction but the way I see it is that it doesn't make what he posted any less offensive, it just makes it more believable that his intentions were innocent.

I didn't find it offensive i just thought it was a daft to post photo of a baby chimp in this current environment where everything gets analized. I do think its been blown out of proportion and hearing he's made posts before using images of chimps makes me think that the race thing that's been thrown at Baker is slightly unfair.
Someone somewhere is always going to be offended but if you can't stand up and apologise or defend yourself then what on earth are you supposed to do. We are all human and say and do the wrong thing and i feel we are painting ourselves into a corner with so much PC.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Danny Baker on 12:28 - May 10 with 2382 viewsrsonist

He can have done it in all his newly born mooncalf naivety. Should still have lost his job.

He can offer his most profuse apologies. Should still have lost his job.

Hypocrisy and double standards are rife throughout the media not least in the BBC. Cool whataboutery bro but doesn't change the fact that he should still have lost his job, and that others should follow suit.

It's really not that difficult if you take the slightest moment to consider other people in a civilised society.
Danny Baker on 12:29 - May 10 with 2371 viewsrsonist

Danny Baker on 07:45 - May 10 by Bluce_Ree

I’d debate this further but there’s no point. You’re wrong and that’s that.

Lol stay owned.
(No subject) (n/t) (n/t) on 12:35 - May 10 with 2336 viewsCamberleyR

[Post edited 10 May 2019 12:39]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Login to get fewer ads

Danny Baker on 12:41 - May 10 with 2309 viewsFDC

Fair play to him for this. I think part of the problem was that he doubled down on it immediately afterwards, insisting that people who saw the racism in it were themselves the problem, and that they must have 'diseased minds' etc (that in itself is a classic trope of the racist -- "you're the one with the problem, it never would have occurred to _me_ that this is racist" etc).

Having people have to come out and say "um yeah portraying a mixed raced baby as a monkey is quite racist -- but you know that right?" was very damaging.

It's all made more complicated by the striking double standards of the BBC and their obvious vendetta against Baker.

Very sad episode anyway, whatever way you see the actual tweet.

Danny Baker on 12:43 - May 10 with 2289 viewsrsonist

Took him a day but he got there in the end. Hope his blindingly white knights out there can do the same.
Danny Baker on 12:43 - May 10 with 2280 viewsrobith

Danny Baker on 12:07 - May 10 by traininvain

And happy to continue paying Sugar millions despite his quite blatantly racist tweet during the World Cup last year.

Interesting use of the word 'great' btw. Not sure I'd describe anything about this situation as 'great'. Someone made a very stupid mistake and lost their job as a result.

Not exactly 'great' for anyone involved, except maybe the self righteous tw@ts charging around on twitter 'cancelling' people.

Then clearly I have failed to convey the meaning as my message was sarcastic, and I worry that I'm very misleading if you actually thought I was saying something here was great.

If you sack someone for sharing an image with racist connotations, even if accidental, but then invite on a full blown mad bastard racist to a TV show, kinda shows you don't really care about racism
Danny Baker on 12:46 - May 10 with 2263 viewsrobith

Danny Baker on 12:41 - May 10 by FDC

Fair play to him for this. I think part of the problem was that he doubled down on it immediately afterwards, insisting that people who saw the racism in it were themselves the problem, and that they must have 'diseased minds' etc (that in itself is a classic trope of the racist -- "you're the one with the problem, it never would have occurred to _me_ that this is racist" etc).

Having people have to come out and say "um yeah portraying a mixed raced baby as a monkey is quite racist -- but you know that right?" was very damaging.

It's all made more complicated by the striking double standards of the BBC and their obvious vendetta against Baker.

Astonishingly rare to see someone actually apologise and understand what they got wrong. Concur, fair play to him
Danny Baker on 12:52 - May 10 with 2229 viewstraininvain

Danny Baker on 12:43 - May 10 by robith

Then clearly I have failed to convey the meaning as my message was sarcastic, and I worry that I'm very misleading if you actually thought I was saying something here was great.

If you sack someone for sharing an image with racist connotations, even if accidental, but then invite on a full blown mad bastard racist to a TV show, kinda shows you don't really care about racism

Fair play. Sometimes difficult to detect sarcasm online, particularly given your previous posts in this thread.

Of course the BBC don't really care, they were just reacting to the latest twitter pitchfork mob.
Danny Baker (n/t) on 12:55 - May 10 with 2198 viewstraininvain

Danny Baker on 12:43 - May 10 by rsonist

Took him a day but he got there in the end. Hope his blindingly white knights out there can do the same.

[Post edited 10 May 2019 12:56]
Danny Baker on 12:56 - May 10 with 2192 viewsYorkRanger

I like Danny Baker and enjoy his shows.

My take is he made a foolish mistake, tried to make a point about class and in doing so presented an image that many will have viewed as racist. I genuinely don't believe that was his intent and he has done his best to apologise and put the record straight.

Inevitable that people would have a field day with it and no surprise the BBC acted in the way they did, particularly as it affected the Royal family,

A sad day all round.
Danny Baker on 13:21 - May 10 with 2137 viewsMrSheen

To be fair (charitable?), I took his “diseased mind” comment to mean that he didn’t have the diseased mind of a racist, not that his critics had diseased minds for thinking he was one. Obviously, people he had infuriated with his original comment didn’t see it that way. Again, a surprisingly misguided statement from someone usually so skilful with words, but neither impossible nor unforgivable.
Danny Baker on 13:33 - May 10 with 2093 viewsPunteR

Is it safe to come out now..? is the world a better place now he's apologised ..?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Danny Baker on 13:47 - May 10 with 2053 viewspaulparker

Funny how I don’t recall you being so passionate about racists like Abbott & alibhai- brown appearing on BBC broadcasts , I think banning them would send a great message also, wouldn’t you agree

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Danny Baker on 14:06 - May 10 with 1989 viewsSnipper

Danny Baker on 13:47 - May 10 by paulparker

Funny how I don’t recall you being so passionate about racists like Abbott & alibhai- brown appearing on BBC broadcasts , I think banning them would send a great message also, wouldn’t you agree

Well said mate. 👏👏👏👏
Danny Baker on 14:14 - May 10 with 1952 viewsEastR

In fairness Andrew Neil tore that bloke a new one in that interview and he (BS - very apt that) ended up coming out of it looking like a right chump

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Danny Baker on 14:16 - May 10 with 1946 viewsrobith

Danny Baker on 14:14 - May 10 by EastR

In fairness Andrew Neil tore that bloke a new one in that interview and he (BS - very apt that) ended up coming out of it looking like a right chump

The thing is the far right don't care about logic, or being "torn apart" - they just want the legitimate platform to spout from. To invite them on in the first place is for them to win
Danny Baker on 14:18 - May 10 with 1926 viewsToast_R

I feel really sorry for old Danny Baker.

There's a video floating around on Youtube somewhere from the 80s when he was doing the Six O'Clock show. He's in my home town of West Molesey explaining the controversial divide between East and West Molesey and how it's marked by a stone on the Green there (still there to this day) One side East, the other West and how East Molsey residents believe their better than us West ones. True stuff even today. Very funny piece of TV by him.
Danny Baker on 14:27 - May 10 with 1895 viewsrobith

Danny Baker on 13:47 - May 10 by paulparker

I didn't realise I had to document my every thought on a QPR message board for your oversight PP!

For your ledger

1. Diane Abbott (I presume) isn't a racist. She is also a legitimately elected representative of this country. Shapiro is a guy who posts incessant racism on the internet all day. I think it's deeply disingenuous to try and equate the two because you dislike the former (your prerogative)

2. I genuinely had never heard of alibhai- brown, but after a cursory google shows that she worked for a New Labour think tank and then supported the Lib Dems, so I doubt I have much to agree on with her.

Mostly however I'm disappointed in myself for getting involved because no one on this board really cares for my opinion, and I worry that I just make things toxic by trying to put across an alternative view. Feel free to riposte, but I'll leave it there cos otherwise we'll just go round in pointless circles when we don't agree and are unlikely to ever to tbh
[Post edited 10 May 2019 14:27]
Danny Baker on 14:30 - May 10 with 1869 viewsEastR

Danny Baker on 14:16 - May 10 by robith

The thing is the far right don't care about logic, or being "torn apart" - they just want the legitimate platform to spout from. To invite them on in the first place is for them to win

I disagree. Give 'em enough rope and they'll do the job themselves.That guy was shown up to be the intellectual giant he believes himself to be in his own downstairs loo.

Didn't know who he was before lunchtime today but if anyone ever tried to hold him up in a serious conversation as a great thinker and champion of the right I don't think I'd be able to stop laughing.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Danny Baker on 15:34 - May 10 with 1764 viewspaulparker

Danny Baker on 14:27 - May 10 by robith

I didn't realise I had to document my every thought on a QPR message board for your oversight PP!

For your ledger

1. Diane Abbott (I presume) isn't a racist. She is also a legitimately elected representative of this country. Shapiro is a guy who posts incessant racism on the internet all day. I think it's deeply disingenuous to try and equate the two because you dislike the former (your prerogative)

2. I genuinely had never heard of alibhai- brown, but after a cursory google shows that she worked for a New Labour think tank and then supported the Lib Dems, so I doubt I have much to agree on with her.

Mostly however I'm disappointed in myself for getting involved because no one on this board really cares for my opinion, and I worry that I just make things toxic by trying to put across an alternative view. Feel free to riposte, but I'll leave it there cos otherwise we'll just go round in pointless circles when we don't agree and are unlikely to ever to tbh
[Post edited 10 May 2019 14:27]

Danny Baker isn’t a racist either but hasn’t stopped you from taking delight in him getting the tin tac
Abbott can be elected all she likes she has come out with racist comments that makes her a racist or does it not count when you racist towards white people ?
What she has said is worse than what Danny Baker has done , oh yeah and it was said on Twitter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16423278

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024