Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes thread 17:11 - Jul 15 with 95570 viewsjohnhoop

Now that the World Cup’s done and dusted we can turn our attention to the next major event.
For me the most interesting questions about team selection are;
1) Do we open with Jason Roy? For me it’s a no brainer. I know all the arguments against- he doesn’t even open for Surrey, he struggles against the moving ball etc- but I feel that he’s in such good form and the alternatives are so mediocre that it would be silly not to. If he does come off he could give us control of the game in the first couple of hours. Him and Rory Burns for me.
2) Now that Jofra Archer has to have a place in the side, who are the other two quick bowlers going to be. If fit I guess Anderson has to play and I would give the third spot to Woakes but this means no place for Stuart Broad and the 90 mph+ Mark Wood.
3) Which spinner to go with - Ali or Rashid? Ali’s batting form seems to have dipped but it’s still not an easy decision to make.
Any thoughts?
Ashes thread on 21:19 - Sep 13 with 2284 viewsthame_hoops

Ashes thread on 15:12 - Sep 9 by thame_hoops

why isn't curran being given a go, he was excellent against india

Bump

Left arm fast is so difficult to play against, seems England wanted as many of the one day team in the test team
Ashes thread on 03:01 - Sep 14 with 2201 viewstimcocking

Great stuff...
Ashes thread on 03:23 - Sep 14 with 2207 viewsjohnhoop

Ashes thread on 21:19 - Sep 13 by thame_hoops

Bump

Left arm fast is so difficult to play against, seems England wanted as many of the one day team in the test team

I actually really rate Sam Curran, although I wish he’d moderate his “biff every ball” attitude a bit when it comes to Tests. But to describe him as “left-arm fast” is surely stretching it a bit?
Ashes thread on 08:26 - Sep 14 with 2163 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes thread on 20:29 - Sep 13 by BlackCrowe

Just back. And off to bed.

Good day today at the Oval.Only frustration was the extra 35 runs for the 9th wicket.
I’ll be there again today in the front row of the peter may stand with my qpr shirt on.
I might stay all day or leave at the lunch break and go to see us beat Loseton,or I might be there all day.
Decisions,decisions.
Ashes thread on 10:13 - Sep 14 with 2117 viewsthame_hoops

Ashes thread on 03:23 - Sep 14 by johnhoop

I actually really rate Sam Curran, although I wish he’d moderate his “biff every ball” attitude a bit when it comes to Tests. But to describe him as “left-arm fast” is surely stretching it a bit?

Medium fast? 😜
Ashes thread on 19:56 - Sep 14 with 2029 viewsBlackCrowe

Just back and need to go to bed again.

Stow - was it you in the Rangers shirt waving a mask at weaselface Lyon when he came to field in front of PM stand?

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Ashes thread on 22:55 - Sep 14 with 1991 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes thread on 19:56 - Sep 14 by BlackCrowe

Just back and need to go to bed again.

Stow - was it you in the Rangers shirt waving a mask at weaselface Lyon when he came to field in front of PM stand?

That was me mate.I left at lunch and went to the football and managed to get back about 5.45.
I wanted him to sign my steve Smith mask but he wasn’t listening.
Ashes thread on 23:27 - Sep 14 with 1961 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ashes thread on 22:55 - Sep 14 by stowmarketrange

That was me mate.I left at lunch and went to the football and managed to get back about 5.45.

And he wouldn't sign it? Bastard!

At least you had two pretty good days in one.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Login to get fewer ads

Ashes thread on 23:34 - Sep 14 with 1960 viewsthame_hoops

I’m all for banter and winding players up, and I don’t like Lyon BUT my dad was at headingley and said the abuse Lyon got from a corner of the ground was shocking. Whilst fielding close to the boundary, England fans Singing about his wife being a Sl*g and him being a Pae*do, what’s wrong with people?
Ashes thread on 23:52 - Sep 14 with 1935 viewsnix

Ashes thread on 22:55 - Sep 14 by stowmarketrange

I went in the morning, left at lunch, saw the first half of QPR match with my son and then he went back to the test match at 60 minutes. We felt we'd got good value out of our ticket.

Really good atmosphere at the Oval and the best I've seen it at HQ for years in the first half. If only we'd capitalised on our good start, the roof would have come off.
Ashes thread on 05:16 - Sep 15 with 1890 viewsswisscottage

Agree with you, it was a shame.

I don't know what it is, but I find the Oval crowd severely lacking in imagination when compared to the likes of Old Trafford, Trent Bridge and especially Headingley.

Maybe its the Chav element from that area of London thinking its a fun day out to go hurling that sort of abuse without getting shivved as a consequence .... and that's coming from a Londoner.
Ashes thread on 05:40 - Sep 15 with 1871 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ashes thread on 05:16 - Sep 15 by swisscottage

I don't know what it is, but I find the Oval crowd severely lacking in imagination when compared to the likes of Old Trafford, Trent Bridge and especially Headingley.

Maybe its the Chav element from that area of London thinking its a fun day out to go hurling that sort of abuse without getting shivved as a consequence .... and that's coming from a Londoner.

Well then, as a Londoner, you'll be pleased that the report of ott banter from thame_hoop's dad was from Headingley.

But you heard similar at the Oval?

Ashes thread on 07:03 - Sep 15 with 1840 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes thread on 05:40 - Sep 15 by isawqpratwcity

Well then, as a Londoner, you'll be pleased that the report of ott banter from thame_hoop's dad was from Headingley.

But you heard similar at the Oval?

He did take a fair bit of stick last night but I never heard anything that could be described as offensive.
Most popular seemed to be a rendition of “in the jungle,the mighty jungle,the Lyon drops the ball.”
I was in Oz for the last ashes series and I heard a lot worse from the locals to our players,so it seems fair to be giving it back.But I don’t think it should cross the line into real personal abuse though.
But there is an awful lot of alcohol drunk during 7-8 hours of a day’s cricket and some people go way too far.

I did meet a few rangers fans in the ground yesterday and most didn’t leave for the football,which is fair enough if you’ve paid £100+ for your ticket.
Here’s to another good day today and a much needed victory.
Come on England.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2019 7:05]
Ashes thread on 07:24 - Sep 15 with 1819 viewsBlackCrowe

Ashes thread on 07:03 - Sep 15 by stowmarketrange

He did take a fair bit of stick last night but I never heard anything that could be described as offensive.
Most popular seemed to be a rendition of “in the jungle,the mighty jungle,the Lyon drops the ball.”
I was in Oz for the last ashes series and I heard a lot worse from the locals to our players,so it seems fair to be giving it back.But I don’t think it should cross the line into real personal abuse though.
But there is an awful lot of alcohol drunk during 7-8 hours of a day’s cricket and some people go way too far.

I did meet a few rangers fans in the ground yesterday and most didn’t leave for the football,which is fair enough if you’ve paid £100+ for your ticket.
Come on England.

We dabbled with the idea of hotfooting it over to W12 and back after the game. The weather and batting and refreshments put paid to that. Enjoy your day there today mate. 3 days on the trot and i feel very beaten up indeed.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Ashes thread on 09:23 - Sep 15 with 1771 viewsswisscottage

I have in the past .. but I stand to be corrected in this thread. I misread the original post.. thinking it was referring to the Oval.

Just plain disappointed it comes from anywhere over here as I tend to think this thing is more atypical of an Aussie crowd and I prefer to hold the English crowds to a higher standard than our colonial friends :).
Ashes thread on 09:25 - Sep 15 with 1766 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ashes thread on 07:03 - Sep 15 by stowmarketrange

Come on England.

Nah, you're right. The line between witty and ott can be blurred after a few bevvies in the hot sun.

I can't see anything but an England win here. I just heard today that the Aussies "got drunk, really drunk, just three days before the last [i.e. fifth] test" [Paul Kennedy, ABC Offsiders], so it sounds like the series has already been decided as far as some are concerned.

Not that I thought that the Aussies weren't trying yesterday, more that the slow progress wasn't bothering them that much.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2019 13:25]

Ashes thread on 09:31 - Sep 15 with 1759 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ashes thread on 09:23 - Sep 15 by swisscottage

I have in the past .. but I stand to be corrected in this thread. I misread the original post.. thinking it was referring to the Oval.

Just plain disappointed it comes from anywhere over here as I tend to think this thing is more atypical of an Aussie crowd and I prefer to hold the English crowds to a higher standard than our colonial friends :).

"...as I tend to think this thing is more atypical of an Aussie crowd..."

"atypical"? You're really not helping yourself, are you?

Ashes thread on 13:54 - Sep 15 with 1669 viewsswisscottage

Ashes thread on 09:31 - Sep 15 by isawqpratwcity

"...as I tend to think this thing is more atypical of an Aussie crowd..."

"atypical"? You're really not helping yourself, are you?

I claim no sleep and too much alcohol
Ashes thread on 14:29 - Sep 15 with 1641 viewsCamberleyR

FFS. Another 'wicket' off a no ball.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ashes thread on 18:19 - Sep 15 with 1575 viewsflynnbo

Well played England. First drawn home series against the Aussies since 1972 and Bob Massey. Well played Aussies too and it caps a fine summer's cricket.
A farewell to Gower and Botham from the Sky commentary box too.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2019 18:22]
Ashes thread on 20:33 - Sep 15 with 1530 viewsThe_Beast1976

Ashes thread on 18:19 - Sep 15 by flynnbo

Well played England. First drawn home series against the Aussies since 1972 and Bob Massey. Well played Aussies too and it caps a fine summer's cricket.
A farewell to Gower and Botham from the Sky commentary box too.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2019 18:22]

A fine summer's cricket it was too. Did at least 2 days at every Test Match, and in the World Cup managed 3 group games, the semi final and the final. That's on top of playing 25 odd matches too (our season is not over until 5th October, so still a few more to play). This summer has gone quicker than any summer I have known. Absolutely flown by. An absolute cricket fest. Heaven! Off to NZ and SA next for 6 Test Matches, so roll on the winter and the commencement of a rebuilding of the Test squad which will culminate in a win down under in 21/22

Come on England
[Post edited 15 Sep 2019 20:35]
Ashes thread on 22:31 - Sep 15 with 1477 viewsisawqpratwcity

Fantastic! The last three months have been an absolute hoot! Thrills and spills on a roller-coaster ride.

(Will I congratulate England for being every bit as good as, but not better than, first New Zealand and then Australia? Even though in the first case they got the prize and in the second they didn't? Better not. Let's just call it 'honours even'.)

Ashes thread on 23:28 - Sep 15 with 1457 viewsstowmarketrange

Brilliant 4 days of cricket,and a refund on tomorrow’s ticket.I thought we were going to throw it away at one point but we managed to come through in the end.
Well done to both sides for a good series.
Ashes thread on 00:08 - Sep 16 with 1444 viewsSydneyRs

Good series between two flawed teams that could have gone either way. The last two tests have shown that batting first on a good pitch is a real advantage and in terms of that Australia winning the toss in the last test and batting first was critical in them retaining the urn. Not sure why they put us in this time, stupid decision, but they certainly had the luck as far as the coin toss goes this series.

Congrats to Steve Smith on retaining the Ashes, can't be easy doing it while carrying the rest of the side on your back. Would have been a very ugly series for Australia without him. He is ridiculously good though. England sorely missed Jimmy Anderson and Smith would not have had it so easy if he was available. That said Anderson is close to the end of his career so we have to get used to life without him.

Positives. Warner having an absolute horror series, averaging less than 10. Couldn't happen to a nicer bloke! And of course Ben Stokes in the 3rd test, unbelievable match winning performance that we may never see the likes of again. I certainly haven't seen anything close to that before. Also the emergence of Jofra Archer as a world class fast bowler. Its very easy to forget this was his first ever test series because he looked so at home at this level.

Its worth noting that Australia will now pass 20 years without a series win in England and we can help them towards their silver jubilee on their next visit. Smith will be mid 30s by then so might even occasionally get out.

All in all not unhappy at all with a world cup and a Desmond from the summer.
Ashes thread on 11:41 - Sep 16 with 1312 viewsrobith

Ashes thread on 05:16 - Sep 15 by swisscottage

Given a test ticket costs 100 notes, I'm enthralled by the naievity that poor taste chanting is because of local scallies, as opposed to middle class fellas who can't handle the sesh
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024