Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes thread 17:11 - Jul 15 with 95677 viewsjohnhoop

Now that the World Cup’s done and dusted we can turn our attention to the next major event.
For me the most interesting questions about team selection are;
1) Do we open with Jason Roy? For me it’s a no brainer. I know all the arguments against- he doesn’t even open for Surrey, he struggles against the moving ball etc- but I feel that he’s in such good form and the alternatives are so mediocre that it would be silly not to. If he does come off he could give us control of the game in the first couple of hours. Him and Rory Burns for me.
2) Now that Jofra Archer has to have a place in the side, who are the other two quick bowlers going to be. If fit I guess Anderson has to play and I would give the third spot to Woakes but this means no place for Stuart Broad and the 90 mph+ Mark Wood.
3) Which spinner to go with - Ali or Rashid? Ali’s batting form seems to have dipped but it’s still not an easy decision to make.
Any thoughts?
Ashes thread on 15:49 - Sep 12 with 2012 viewsjonno

Ashes thread on 15:03 - Sep 12 by CamberleyR

All the wickets today have been from balls that shouldn't have got them out. On pitches like this you should make the bowlers work bloody hard for their wickets, not hand them gimmes. I'd lump on Smith getting another double hundred on this pitch.

That has been pretty much the story of the whole series.
Ashes thread on 16:40 - Sep 12 with 1974 viewsNov77

our bowlers now having to bail us out with the bat again.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes thread on 17:02 - Sep 12 with 1941 viewsrunningman75

Good batting pitch when England should be getting 400 but will be lucky to get 250.
Ashes thread on 17:03 - Sep 12 with 1940 viewsStanisgod

Yet again, for the umpteenth time this series, we fall apart after tea, what the f@ck do they eat?

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Ashes thread on 17:07 - Sep 12 with 1928 viewsnix

Ashes thread on 16:40 - Sep 12 by Nov77

our bowlers now having to bail us out with the bat again.

Burns has been the only batsman who’s looked at all confident. Root was all over the show. We just couldn’t get them away and the pressure piled on our batsmen. Their bowlers apart from Siddle have done really well. Just plugging along the same ball over and over and then just introducing some variety and taking them by surprise.

We can’t say we haven’t had our chances with Root dropped three times and Curren saved by a no ball.
Ashes thread on 17:27 - Sep 12 with 1911 viewsted_hendrix

England Captain Joe Root yesterday "England must build towards winning the Ashes in Australia in 2021-22 We have to use the next two and a half years to focus on putting in a winning tour down under,"

England Captain Joe Root today "We're still shit even my bed collapsed last night"

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Ashes thread on 17:41 - Sep 12 with 1897 viewsNov77

Every time leach bats it’s to dig us out of a hole.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes thread on 18:04 - Sep 12 with 1884 viewsRangersw12

Curtains for Bairstow he shouldn't be anywhere near the winter squads

Unsure on Butler unless you use him as a wicketkeeper and bats 7
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes thread on 19:29 - Sep 12 with 1845 viewsNed_Kennedys

Ashes thread on 20:49 - Sep 8 by isawqpratwcity

I have to remind you that I don't hate England, but otherwise, on what you've said there, I do agree that we are very different people.

I look forward to our continued exchange of views in the future, or of my receiving further down-arrows from you, in the event that you can't think of anything to say.

You get far too upset for an adult about getting down-arrowed.
Ashes thread on 21:41 - Sep 12 with 1767 viewsderbyhoop

Burns has taken to test cricket and is developing a style that should bring him loads of runs. But virtually every other batsman has gone backwards. But not sure who the alfer gives are? Not Vince, Robson, Malan, Jennings.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Ashes thread on 22:58 - Sep 12 with 1739 viewsRangersw12

Ashes thread on 21:41 - Sep 12 by derbyhoop

Burns has taken to test cricket and is developing a style that should bring him loads of runs. But virtually every other batsman has gone backwards. But not sure who the alfer gives are? Not Vince, Robson, Malan, Jennings.

Sibley to open and Pope at 6 surely deserve a chance

The cupboard is pretty bare though , 4 years of prioritising white ball cricket has taken its toll
Ashes thread on 01:17 - Sep 13 with 1702 viewsSydneyRs

Ashes thread on 11:07 - Sep 12 by CroydonCaptJack

I am always ranting on about this.
I really think the toss can be so important. I think whoever wins the first toss decides in the first test then it should be in turns after that. That way you still benefit in an odd number test series but it is much less reliant on an element of luck than now.

Totally agree. I've always said the same, toss before the first game and then alternate. Far fairer. I know the stats say the side winning the toss doesn't win that much more often, but that overlooks the huge number of mismatches in test cricket where the better side would win regardless of the toss. It would be far more influential between more closely matched teams.

I recall back in the Steve Waugh days, when they needed no additional help to beat England, they won every toss in a 6 game ashes series in England. The chances of that happening should be removed from the game. Its a bigger influence on some pitches than others, but was critical in the last test and therefore the series.

As for the batting, both sides have been poor Smith aside. While England have contributed to their own downfall to an extent, there is also a very consistent attack coming at them. On the other hand England look threatening with Broad and Archer bowling but if you see them off it gets easier. A fit Anderson would have made a lot of difference, but he's 37 now and we need to find someone else.
Ashes thread on 11:45 - Sep 13 with 1602 viewsNov77

I make that the third time this series Warner has nicked one behind and not walked.
Remember all the abuse the Aussies gave Broad for doing it once?

Ashes thread on 12:30 - Sep 13 with 1563 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ashes thread on 19:29 - Sep 12 by Ned_Kennedys

You get far too upset for an adult about getting down-arrowed.

It's a criticism, but lacks an argument or proposition of a contradictory fact.

It is a failure of discussion.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2019 12:32]

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Ashes thread on 13:25 - Sep 13 with 1537 viewsrunningman75

Smith needs 304 runs in the match to break Bradman's record in a series. Probably a good bet.
Ashes thread on 13:41 - Sep 13 with 1522 viewsTheChef

Ashes thread on 11:45 - Sep 13 by Nov77

I make that the third time this series Warner has nicked one behind and not walked.

Would give him the benefit of the doubt on that one - looked like the merest tickle on DRS.

I'm sure the Smith/Lab show this afternoon will be thrilling...

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Ashes thread on 16:51 - Sep 13 with 1458 viewsClive_Anderson

I was wondering all series why Curran wasn't in the team and the answer was....no reason at all.

Would like to see Foakes in for Bairstow as well.
Ashes thread on 16:55 - Sep 13 with 1452 viewspastieR

Man of the series against India, delivers when picked.
quelle surprise
Ashes thread on 17:12 - Sep 13 with 1429 viewsflynnbo

Loving the cricket. Front row of middle tier of pavilion in glorious sunshine and a few beers 🍺
Ashes thread on 17:12 - Sep 13 with 1429 viewsrunningman75

Hopefully Curran and Pope both part of the future test teams. Both 21 years old I think a bit like a QPR side being built around Eze and Chair.
Ashes thread on 18:37 - Sep 13 with 1367 viewsCamberleyR

Another shocker of a decision rightfully overturned on review. Don't know what the umpire was watching but in real time it was pitching miles outside leg.

Great day for England today.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ashes thread on 18:43 - Sep 13 with 1358 viewsRangersw12

Ashes thread on 11:45 - Sep 13 by Nov77

They openly support cheats so they're not going to care if one of theirs doesn't walk
Ashes thread on 18:45 - Sep 13 with 1353 viewsRangersw12

A very good day for England

We should win it from here but with the Aussie bowling attack you never know !

two very evenly matched teams
Ashes thread on 18:56 - Sep 13 with 1340 viewstoboboly

Ashes thread on 18:43 - Sep 13 by Rangersw12

They openly support cheats so they're not going to care if one of theirs doesn't walk

According to TMS Warner admitted to Ponting that he knew he had nicked it.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Ashes thread on 20:29 - Sep 13 with 1307 viewsBlackCrowe

Just back. And off to bed.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024