Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Flight connections 09:33 - Jan 23 with 2366 viewsGloucs_R

Sorry, i know there has been another thread about this before.

what are the best and worst connection airports in the US please? I am going to Vegas but the company have given us a really tight budget so no direct flights.

Any tips with the connections? I have always flown direct so a little peeved at the moment.

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

Flight connections on 09:48 - Jan 23 with 1970 viewsBlackCrowe

If you can do it via LAX, then that'd be the way i reckon - it's only an hour's flight between the two. Just give yourself a couple of hours transit time as you need to collect your luggage and re-check it in (as you have to do at every US airport when you're transitting).

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Flight connections on 10:55 - Jan 23 with 1906 viewsthame_hoops

You'll hit customs before your connecting flight on way out only, so give yourself 2 hours min connecting time. You have to collect luggage usually and re-check it at connections, at least you dont have to line up at desk but you do have to go though security again. I hate connections, I get so stressed at heathrow when you inevitably take off late and im clock watching the whole journey.

coming back ive had 45min connection time and made it, as long as your at the same terminal but for stress reasons I'd say 2 hours either way to be safe.

Going to balimore in Dec I had 2hr45 at JFK and made it with 30 mins to spare
Flight connections on 11:08 - Jan 23 with 1890 viewsJPC

Flight connections on 10:55 - Jan 23 by thame_hoops

You'll hit customs before your connecting flight on way out only, so give yourself 2 hours min connecting time. You have to collect luggage usually and re-check it at connections, at least you dont have to line up at desk but you do have to go though security again. I hate connections, I get so stressed at heathrow when you inevitably take off late and im clock watching the whole journey.

coming back ive had 45min connection time and made it, as long as your at the same terminal but for stress reasons I'd say 2 hours either way to be safe.

Going to balimore in Dec I had 2hr45 at JFK and made it with 30 mins to spare

Is the connecting flight going from the same terminal as the flight from UK? A lot of Airports, JFK, Chicago have multiple terminals which adds significantly to connection time. Also JFK immigration control at BA terminal is minimum 1 hour in my experience

I'd avoid Chicago, JFK if you can, Have had good experiences through Dallas, Philadelphia, Minneapolis (Really good). If you have been recently and have used an ESTA, your time through immigration is significantly decreased if the airport allows you to use the automated checks (JFK didn't back in December)
Flight connections on 11:15 - Jan 23 with 1873 viewsboobishabang

Last time i went with work (few years ago now) I went direct to Phoenix from Heathrow, then Southwest flight to Vegas, those flights run every hour or so, so if you miss your connection there's not long until the next one
Flight connections on 11:22 - Jan 23 with 1861 viewsthame_hoops

Flight connections on 11:08 - Jan 23 by JPC

Is the connecting flight going from the same terminal as the flight from UK? A lot of Airports, JFK, Chicago have multiple terminals which adds significantly to connection time. Also JFK immigration control at BA terminal is minimum 1 hour in my experience

I'd avoid Chicago, JFK if you can, Have had good experiences through Dallas, Philadelphia, Minneapolis (Really good). If you have been recently and have used an ESTA, your time through immigration is significantly decreased if the airport allows you to use the automated checks (JFK didn't back in December)

at JFK in Dec 19, the customs are now all automated where you scan your passport and you only line up if it doesn't work, was much quicker, I thought it was only for US residents but it was for everyone.
Flight connections on 11:30 - Jan 23 with 1852 viewsTW_R

If you can I would avoid any of the larger airports and ones that have a considerable amount of international passengers. So JFK/Newark, LA, Atlanta, Chicago, Denver and Dallas would all be out for me. I would be tempted by St Louis or Salt Lake City for Vegas. It's worth checking whether they have the ESTA automated machines first though as that makes a massive difference when you go through passport control, with much smaller (if any) queues.

If you're travelling Business then depending on the length of your lay-over you may want to consider the lounge availability at the airport. Atlanta is a Delta hub so has some great lounges and Chicago has a great United lounge with a restaurant. Any stop of around 90 mins is probably not worth worrying about.
Flight connections on 11:38 - Jan 23 with 1834 viewsJPC

Saint Louis doesn't get direct flights from UK. Wish it did, I'm there next week
Flight connections on 11:44 - Jan 23 with 1821 viewsqueensparker

I’ve always had a great experience at Denver, just been done up.

Definitely avoid LAX, JFK and Houston IMO.

US immigration generally has got so much worse in the Trump era.
Login to get fewer ads

Flight connections on 11:44 - Jan 23 with 1820 viewsTW_R

Flight connections on 11:38 - Jan 23 by JPC

Saint Louis doesn't get direct flights from UK. Wish it did, I'm there next week

Interesting - I didn't know that. I once flew to Seattle via St Louis, but that was a long time ago.
Flight connections on 11:54 - Jan 23 with 1809 viewsGloucs_R

So, I could connect in

LAX - 2H 15M
Charlotte 2h
Chicago - ruled out as their transport system is being upgraded and its all buses
Denver 3 h

Also, I am assuming their internal flights are no where near as comfortable as long haul? So after 8 hours of flying, another 5 hours on a small crappy plane?
[Post edited 23 Jan 2020 11:54]

Flight connections on 12:07 - Jan 23 with 1781 viewsBlackCrowe

Flight connections on 11:54 - Jan 23 by Gloucs_R

So, I could connect in

LAX - 2H 15M
Charlotte 2h
Chicago - ruled out as their transport system is being upgraded and its all buses
Denver 3 h

Also, I am assuming their internal flights are no where near as comfortable as long haul? So after 8 hours of flying, another 5 hours on a small crappy plane?

Internal flights will be like Euroepan flights - Boeing 737, Airbus 320 etc. I would honestly do the LAX route if the price is right. Then you've got the long bit out the way on a decent plane and then just an hour's (actually less) hop to Vegas. Just give yourself 2+ hours transit.

Better still, have a two day layover in LA and hang out in Santa Monica/Venice Beach.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Flight connections on 12:30 - Jan 23 with 1742 viewsBklynRanger

Flight connections on 12:07 - Jan 23 by BlackCrowe

Internal flights will be like Euroepan flights - Boeing 737, Airbus 320 etc. I would honestly do the LAX route if the price is right. Then you've got the long bit out the way on a decent plane and then just an hour's (actually less) hop to Vegas. Just give yourself 2+ hours transit.

Better still, have a two day layover in LA and hang out in Santa Monica/Venice Beach.

I'd agree with that. The Denver hop vs the LAX hop is probably 2 vs 1 hrs - still a 3 hr wait is going to be probably more than needed so the LAX flight might get you done with it all a bit quicker. Not too much difference either way.

100% agree with the last sentence too! In fact if you could take a few days either side it's extremely pleasant all over Southern CA this time of year g g g goddamnit.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2020 12:31]
Flight connections on 12:51 - Jan 23 with 1712 viewsthame_hoops

One thing I’ve noticed with Expedia is try direct flights and add the to you basket and check out, more often at checkout the prices drop massively, had this happen several times and direct flight price falls in line with indirect flights.
Flight connections on 13:09 - Jan 23 with 1679 viewsted_hendrix

Flight connections on 11:54 - Jan 23 by Gloucs_R

So, I could connect in

LAX - 2H 15M
Charlotte 2h
Denver 3 h

Well you've ruled out Chicago which is a plus in itself, it took me forever to walk to the departure gate for Memphis and when I got there we were told that the pilots wouldn't fly the plane as all important paperwork hadn't been signed off, delay after delay and not much better on the way back, i might just have been unlucky that day.
Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport had criminally long immigration queues and all the immigration officers seemed to b Mexicans
Houston airport? worse queues that Phoenix in and out, bad mannered airport workers too, one horrible airport if you ask me.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Flight connections on 13:31 - Jan 23 with 1651 viewsIsleworthranger

I transited through Dallas Fort Worth a couple of weeks ago and it was really simple even though our first flight was late arriving
Customs have a system for getting you straight through immigration and straight back in to departures
Flight connections on 13:48 - Jan 23 with 1621 viewsJPC

Flight connections on 11:44 - Jan 23 by TW_R

Interesting - I didn't know that. I once flew to Seattle via St Louis, but that was a long time ago.

There used to be - it was a major Pan Am hub. American still had a direct flight outaftehr that to Gatwick but was phased out 15 years ago
Flight connections on 14:03 - Jan 23 with 1598 viewsgobbles

Avoid LA and JFK if possible. Problem is not so much distance in the terminal as the amount of time you spend in the queue at immigration, as going into US you have to do that at first arrival point plus collect and recheck your bags. So it is good to go to an airport that has fewer international flights, so you don't run risk of arriving moments after a flight from Japan.

Dallas is quite good for Vegas, I always found Chicago quite good to connect in. I did Vegas once via Houston on Continental.
Both Dallas and Houston were very good on way back as connecting flights were on very close gates. I suppose Newark, Philadelphia would be OK too as "smaller" airports.
Flight connections on 14:20 - Jan 23 with 1576 viewsLythamR

I dont know who you work for obviously but the difference in cost appears to be roughly £150 going from heathrow

I would point out to your boss that the increased aggravation of having to change massively outweighs the cost saving

Unless they are a particularly shitty organisation they should see the benefit of you arriving in a better state of mind and body
Flight connections on 14:31 - Jan 23 with 1556 viewsdanehoop

I have passed through Boston a couple of times and found that to be a surprisingly straightforward connection. Atlanta wasnt too bad, but was a big hub.

Never knowingly understood

Flight connections on 19:39 - Jan 23 with 1454 viewsGloucs_R

Flight connections on 14:20 - Jan 23 by LythamR

I dont know who you work for obviously but the difference in cost appears to be roughly £150 going from heathrow

I would point out to your boss that the increased aggravation of having to change massively outweighs the cost saving

Unless they are a particularly shitty organisation they should see the benefit of you arriving in a better state of mind and body

I paid the difference for a direct flight out of my own pocket in the end. Paid £150 more for a Direct premium flight than one stop.

Thanks all
[Post edited 23 Jan 2020 22:02]

Flight connections on 20:40 - Jan 23 with 1399 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Flight connections on 19:39 - Jan 23 by Gloucs_R

I paid the difference for a direct flight out of my own pocket in the end. Paid £150 more for a Direct premium flight than one stop.

Thanks all
[Post edited 23 Jan 2020 22:02]

How many hours of work was £150?

Join a Union.
Flight connections on 22:00 - Jan 23 with 1342 viewsGloucs_R

Flight connections on 20:40 - Jan 23 by BazzaInTheLoft

How many hours of work was £150?

Join a Union.

Hours? 🙄😉

Flight connections on 23:32 - Jan 23 with 1292 viewswombat

Flight connections on 22:00 - Jan 23 by Gloucs_R

Hours? 🙄😉

Did La to Vegas internal flight was from a diff terminal , pain in the arse to find where it was from our terminal and made it with 30 mins spare

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Flight connections on 23:48 - Jan 23 with 1278 viewstimcocking

What you could do, hire cars from LAX, drive across the Mojave to Vegas. Fun, not too far, just a couple of hours. Much nicer than wasting time in airports and see the desert. It's pretty easy.
Flight connections on 14:32 - Jan 24 with 1170 viewspeejaybee

Flight connections on 23:48 - Jan 23 by timcocking

What you could do, hire cars from LAX, drive across the Mojave to Vegas. Fun, not too far, just a couple of hours. Much nicer than wasting time in airports and see the desert. It's pretty easy.

And loads of great Diners along the way.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024