Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
LOTG 20/21 13:23 - Apr 17 with 1845 viewsPinnerPaul

Hello all,

Just because they can, IFAB have come up with another load of law changes for 20/21 - whenever that may be - for any referees or anoraks out there, full text can be found on line obviously but here are the 'important' ones in (my) summary form

Yellow cards not carried forward to penalty kicks after et
Arm is defined as from the 'bottom of the armpit'
GK can now receive a yellow (or red) card if he touches the ball (inc with hand) twice after a restart
Yellow card for any offence that stops a promising attack (not just a foul)
Not retreating at a drop ball = YC
Advantage played or quick free kick given for breaking up promising attack - no going back and giving a yellow
Penalties missed (but not saved) - doesn't matter if GK moves, its still a miss
No yellow card for GK if he moves but saves - just a warning and a retake
Holding now has to 'impede progress' of an opponent to be penalised
and finally the controversial accidental handball by an attacker is only penalised if it leads directly to a goal or a pass to person who the scores from the pass - ie no looking 5 passes back for a handball

Plenty more, would you believe, word changes and some obscure ones that I can't be bothered to pass on!

Do stay safe and well

Cheers

Paul
LOTG 20/21 on 13:38 - Apr 17 with 1510 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Might be easier if you post what doesn’t constitute an infringement.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

LOTG 20/21 on 13:44 - Apr 17 with 1488 viewsstowmarketrange

LOTG 20/21 on 13:38 - Apr 17 by PlanetHonneywood

Might be easier if you post what doesn’t constitute an infringement.

Any foul on a qpr player in the opponents penalty area.
LOTG 20/21 on 14:02 - Apr 17 with 1447 viewsLoftgirl

LOTG 20/21 on 13:44 - Apr 17 by stowmarketrange

Any foul on a qpr player in the opponents penalty area.

Any foul on Jack Grealish.
LOTG 20/21 on 14:06 - Apr 17 with 1437 viewsDannyPaddox

Pulling face-mask off after scoring and waving it in direction of empty stands - Yellow Card.
LOTG 20/21 on 14:09 - Apr 17 with 1432 viewskarl

'GK can now receive a yellow (or red) card if he touches the ball (inc with hand) twice after a restart'

Can you explain that one a little more PP?
I may just being thick of course, not unusual 😁
Thanks for info
LOTG 20/21 on 14:23 - Apr 17 with 1414 viewsstowmarketrange

LOTG 20/21 on 14:02 - Apr 17 by Loftgirl

Any foul on Jack Grealish.

If only.
LOTG 20/21 on 14:36 - Apr 17 with 1396 viewsPinnerPaul

LOTG 20/21 on 14:09 - Apr 17 by karl

'GK can now receive a yellow (or red) card if he touches the ball (inc with hand) twice after a restart'

Can you explain that one a little more PP?
I may just being thick of course, not unusual 😁
Thanks for info

GKs have always been immune to being punished by a red/yellow card for 'handling the ball' because they are allowed to in their own area, but there are times ie from a 'back pass' when it is illegal.

For some reason IFAB have decided that they can be red/yellow carded if they touch the ball from the other (albeit very rare scenario) of touching the ball again after a GK/FK before it has touched another player.

A classic example of adding wording just for the sake of it - very few knew/cared this was the case and the 'new law' will hardly ever be needed.
LOTG 20/21 on 14:39 - Apr 17 with 1385 viewsTheChef

So the name of the offence is being changed from 'handball' to 'armball'?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Login to get fewer ads

LOTG 20/21 on 14:57 - Apr 17 with 1367 viewsW7Ranger

LOTG 20/21 on 14:36 - Apr 17 by PinnerPaul

GKs have always been immune to being punished by a red/yellow card for 'handling the ball' because they are allowed to in their own area, but there are times ie from a 'back pass' when it is illegal.

For some reason IFAB have decided that they can be red/yellow carded if they touch the ball from the other (albeit very rare scenario) of touching the ball again after a GK/FK before it has touched another player.

A classic example of adding wording just for the sake of it - very few knew/cared this was the case and the 'new law' will hardly ever be needed.

I to wondered what this new "law" was, and now you've explained it I'm still none the wiser!!

LOTG 20/21 on 15:05 - Apr 17 with 1361 viewsloftboy

So Joe Hart would be booked for the goal kick that Charlie Austin scored from which was disallowed because stop her it twice?

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

LOTG 20/21 on 15:41 - Apr 17 with 1334 viewsozranger

Is this an extension to the opening up of the penalty area with restarts? That is, previously if a GK/FK was taken inside the penalty area and it was touched again prior to exiting the area then the restart had to be retaken. It allowed for situations where an abortive attempt to pass the ball out of the area was quickly halted by touching the ball inside the area, thus meaning the retake instead of allowing for an opposition player to gain an advantage from the original kick.

So, from what I am reading here is that prior to this new law or extension to an original one, the keeper/defender could actually touch the ball a second time thus forcing the retake and without punishment, even though it now has nothing to do with the penalty area. Now if the keeper handles the ball, from what I am reading here, in this double-touch situation, the referee can now award a red/yellow depending on how they read the situation.

If that's not the case, then I am with Karl on not quite understanding when this is going to be the case.

While I am here to save space, if a player is through on goal and is impeded illegally by the last man, thus attempting to deny a goal-scoring situation and a second attacker comes past, collects the ball and either scores or misses, the referee is no longer allowed to go back and award a yellow? I believe the red is no longer an option in this case. Is that a rather esoteric example of the new law? Having watched the 2010-11 rewind, I wonder just how many referees would have held for a short while instead of quickly stopping play and awarding a red card for the illegality. That'd be one way to halt this scenario in its tracks. For that matter how is advantage defined if a player attempts to stop a ball on the line with their hand but it goes in anyway. Was that not previously a yellow and is it still, as surely allowing the goal is advantage?
LOTG 20/21 on 15:46 - Apr 17 with 1326 viewsLongsufferingR

So where you do draw the line, vertically, horizontally or diagonally?
LOTG 20/21 on 15:50 - Apr 17 with 1316 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Bert Trautmann would be turning in his grave!...well his body is but he’ll probably have to leave his neck where it is.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

LOTG 20/21 on 16:18 - Apr 17 with 1287 viewskarl

Cheers PP!
As said probably to do with the rule clearing the box changing, keeper might misplace a pass and jump on it before going to an attacker, albeit has to go outside the box if untouched by defender, right?
Can see why the rule needed but it must be a nightmare in our amateur leagues for the refs with these nuances. Added to this we play this summer (if only) to last season rules but if we go to a competition involving winter teams we have the new rules, does confuse some😂
LOTG 20/21 on 16:22 - Apr 17 with 1283 viewsdistortR

LOTG 20/21 on 16:18 - Apr 17 by karl

Cheers PP!
As said probably to do with the rule clearing the box changing, keeper might misplace a pass and jump on it before going to an attacker, albeit has to go outside the box if untouched by defender, right?
Can see why the rule needed but it must be a nightmare in our amateur leagues for the refs with these nuances. Added to this we play this summer (if only) to last season rules but if we go to a competition involving winter teams we have the new rules, does confuse some😂

rules will NOT be applied retrospectively to the shetland game, so don't bother.
LOTG 20/21 on 16:24 - Apr 17 with 1283 viewsWatford_Ranger

Advantage played or quick free kick given for breaking up promising attack - no going back and giving a yellow

Seems wrong to me. Just discourages quick play from the attacking side and means inconsistencies in who gets booked just because the attacking team chose to get on with the game quickly.
LOTG 20/21 on 16:28 - Apr 17 with 1279 viewsPinnerPaul

LOTG 20/21 on 15:05 - Apr 17 by loftboy

So Joe Hart would be booked for the goal kick that Charlie Austin scored from which was disallowed because stop her it twice?

Yes I guess he would.

Still wouldn't have been a goal though as the 'retake' part of the law stands!
LOTG 20/21 on 16:33 - Apr 17 with 1275 viewsPinnerPaul

LOTG 20/21 on 15:41 - Apr 17 by ozranger

Is this an extension to the opening up of the penalty area with restarts? That is, previously if a GK/FK was taken inside the penalty area and it was touched again prior to exiting the area then the restart had to be retaken. It allowed for situations where an abortive attempt to pass the ball out of the area was quickly halted by touching the ball inside the area, thus meaning the retake instead of allowing for an opposition player to gain an advantage from the original kick.

So, from what I am reading here is that prior to this new law or extension to an original one, the keeper/defender could actually touch the ball a second time thus forcing the retake and without punishment, even though it now has nothing to do with the penalty area. Now if the keeper handles the ball, from what I am reading here, in this double-touch situation, the referee can now award a red/yellow depending on how they read the situation.

If that's not the case, then I am with Karl on not quite understanding when this is going to be the case.

While I am here to save space, if a player is through on goal and is impeded illegally by the last man, thus attempting to deny a goal-scoring situation and a second attacker comes past, collects the ball and either scores or misses, the referee is no longer allowed to go back and award a yellow? I believe the red is no longer an option in this case. Is that a rather esoteric example of the new law? Having watched the 2010-11 rewind, I wonder just how many referees would have held for a short while instead of quickly stopping play and awarding a red card for the illegality. That'd be one way to halt this scenario in its tracks. For that matter how is advantage defined if a player attempts to stop a ball on the line with their hand but it goes in anyway. Was that not previously a yellow and is it still, as surely allowing the goal is advantage?

GKs - yes spot on with the 2nd paragraph logic/reasoning

Last paragraph - Yes correct . Example/logic here is that if a defender tries to use his hand to stop a goal but fails he can't be red carded for preventing a goal because he hasn't!

Therefore if you play advantage from a foul 'preventing a promising attack' the logic is that because the attack has NOT been prevented then you can't go back and issue a yellow.

If the challenge was reckless though you can yellow as playing the advantage doesn't alter the fact that the challenge was reckless.
LOTG 20/21 on 16:38 - Apr 17 with 1270 viewsPinnerPaul

LOTG 20/21 on 15:46 - Apr 17 by LongsufferingR

So where you do draw the line, vertically, horizontally or diagonally?

Yes someone on twitter has already pointed that out!

In the IFAB illustration arm is by the side, but if arm is raised at 90 degrees to the body, 'level with the armpit' is a different position on the arm/shoulder!

Think my logic of last season applies here as well, anyone complains its " sorry mate, new handball law"
LOTG 20/21 on 16:39 - Apr 17 with 1265 viewsPinnerPaul

LOTG 20/21 on 16:18 - Apr 17 by karl

Cheers PP!

Quite right, wasn't joking when I said who knows when 20/21 will start!
LOTG 20/21 on 16:41 - Apr 17 with 1261 viewsPinnerPaul

LOTG 20/21 on 16:24 - Apr 17 by Watford_Ranger

Seems wrong to me. Just discourages quick play from the attacking side and means inconsistencies in who gets booked just because the attacking team chose to get on with the game quickly.

Yep - can't argue with that.

More howling at the referee when some get booked and some don't for fouls that will look very similar to the vast majority!
LOTG 20/21 on 16:45 - Apr 17 with 1253 viewskarl

LOTG 20/21 on 16:22 - Apr 17 by distortR

rules will NOT be applied retrospectively to the shetland game, so don't bother.

Actually referring to being 'cheated' in Anglesey with the new dropball rule.
We waited for the opposition to retreat 3yds for our possession from the drop, ref drops ball anyway, they nip in before our player touches it and they get taken down for a penalty.
We are officially the hardest done team in amateur football, fact
LOTG 20/21 on 17:00 - Apr 17 with 1234 viewsStanisgod

Surely all holding is impeding an opponent, just let's refs not have to make a decision in the penalty area at set pieces anymore, just let a free for all go on.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

LOTG 20/21 on 00:12 - Apr 18 with 1134 viewsLoftgirl

LOTG 20/21 on 16:33 - Apr 17 by PinnerPaul

GKs - yes spot on with the 2nd paragraph logic/reasoning

Last paragraph - Yes correct . Example/logic here is that if a defender tries to use his hand to stop a goal but fails he can't be red carded for preventing a goal because he hasn't!

Therefore if you play advantage from a foul 'preventing a promising attack' the logic is that because the attack has NOT been prevented then you can't go back and issue a yellow.

If the challenge was reckless though you can yellow as playing the advantage doesn't alter the fact that the challenge was reckless.

" breaking up promising attack". Not sure I like this bit. Mike Dean's idea of a promising attack will vary according to whose side he is on at the time.
LOTG 20/21 on 08:03 - Apr 18 with 1078 viewsdistortR

LOTG 20/21 on 16:45 - Apr 17 by karl

Actually referring to being 'cheated' in Anglesey with the new dropball rule.
We waited for the opposition to retreat 3yds for our possession from the drop, ref drops ball anyway, they nip in before our player touches it and they get taken down for a penalty.
We are officially the hardest done team in amateur football, fact

I hear you brother.

My young lad's team were in a semi-final just before the lockdown, ref blew for what, they didn't know, and made a gesture most interpreted to be a free kick to the other team. Our lads retreat 10 yards (Into the box), ref drops the ball and they score.

sigh.

what could have been.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024