Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Agueroooooooo! 16:10 - May 13 with 10745 viewsAntti_Heinola

Sorry if already posted - but some nice stuff here about that day, with plenty from the Chief (who doesn't like Barton) about how hard it was for him, but also makes sure he says how much he loved QPR once he'd been there a while too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/52604782

No mention, however, yet again, of how Tevez smacked Barton first. What Barton did was inexcusable, but it's always baffled me how Tevez totally got away with it - what he did was a red card offence too, and he should also have received a ban.

Bare bones.

Agueroooooooo! on 20:04 - May 14 with 1463 viewsstowmarketrange

Agueroooooooo! on 18:36 - May 14 by St_Pollock

QPR was reborn over the last 5 years.

What we have now is a chance to make a club in the image of what we made before with a good youth and scouting system and a conveyor belt of players available to replace those who we have to sell.

It's not being small minded to expect us never to constantly compete with the best - we're 138 years old (134 for those pedants who thrive on historical accuracy) and we've played 23 seasons in the top flight - but we can create a club to be proud of. As we did before we took the rich boys' money quicker than a desperate hooker.

The rich boys killed the soul - I say they killed QPR as well - of the club and despite, I think it was you, saying that I missed a number of great games during my self imposed exile, few of those I kept in touch with ever failed to say that the club was no longer theirs and they went out of habit. Even when we were 'successful'.

I'm not sure how any QPR fan of a certain vintage could have extracted much happiness and joy during those years to be honest.

We're not there yet - I don't like the reliance on loan players for example - but QPR has been born again. Let's not F it up this time...
[Post edited 14 May 2020 18:44]

So is there a sliding scale of money we’re allowed to spend before you think we’re overspending?
As I said in a previous post,how would we have won the league cup or got promoted in the late 60’s without spending slightly more than our rivals at the time.
And how much money did Gregory spend putting our 75/76 side together?Would you have decided that only having 2 or 3 academy players in that team wasn’t enough?
We wouldn’t have been able to buy players at £150,000+ with Gregory’s investment.

Where do you draw the line on spending more than we earn?
Agueroooooooo! on 20:40 - May 14 with 1427 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Agueroooooooo! on 18:36 - May 14 by St_Pollock

QPR was reborn over the last 5 years.

What we have now is a chance to make a club in the image of what we made before with a good youth and scouting system and a conveyor belt of players available to replace those who we have to sell.

It's not being small minded to expect us never to constantly compete with the best - we're 138 years old (134 for those pedants who thrive on historical accuracy) and we've played 23 seasons in the top flight - but we can create a club to be proud of. As we did before we took the rich boys' money quicker than a desperate hooker.

The rich boys killed the soul - I say they killed QPR as well - of the club and despite, I think it was you, saying that I missed a number of great games during my self imposed exile, few of those I kept in touch with ever failed to say that the club was no longer theirs and they went out of habit. Even when we were 'successful'.

I'm not sure how any QPR fan of a certain vintage could have extracted much happiness and joy during those years to be honest.

We're not there yet - I don't like the reliance on loan players for example - but QPR has been born again. Let's not F it up this time...
[Post edited 14 May 2020 18:44]

"of the club and despite, I think it was you, saying that I missed a number of great games"

No, it wasn't me.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Agueroooooooo! on 20:42 - May 14 with 1423 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Agueroooooooo! on 20:04 - May 14 by stowmarketrange

So is there a sliding scale of money we’re allowed to spend before you think we’re overspending?
As I said in a previous post,how would we have won the league cup or got promoted in the late 60’s without spending slightly more than our rivals at the time.
And how much money did Gregory spend putting our 75/76 side together?Would you have decided that only having 2 or 3 academy players in that team wasn’t enough?
We wouldn’t have been able to buy players at £150,000+ with Gregory’s investment.

Great post.

Agueroooooooo! on 02:18 - May 15 with 1312 viewstimcocking

Damn, i so wish we'd hung on in that one. Pains me each time i see it.
Agueroooooooo! on 10:07 - May 15 with 1267 viewsSt_Pollock

Agueroooooooo! on 20:04 - May 14 by stowmarketrange

Did Gregory really invest a substantial amount?

Most of the 66/67 squad were home grown and out of the 6 players who weren't most were cheap cast offs apart from Rodney who cost £15k.

As for 75/76, the majority of players were home grown again and those who weren't were, again, cheap cast offs or funded by the sale of Marsh for £200k and the increased gate receipts from 72/73 onwards.

Regardless, the one thing Gregory can never be accused of is placing the existence of this club at risk through poor financial control. Neither could Bulstrude, neither could Thompson.

The only time the existence of QPR has ever been at risk due to financial reasons since Gregory's reign - not including Wright as that was a bit more complicated due to the deal with Wasps - was when we spent far beyond our means as a boutique club.: did alarm bells not ring as you looked around 19,000 capacity Loftus Road and watched players from Real Madrid and AC Milan play for us?

I don't think clubs should be required to spend only within their income means but there clearly needs to be a limit of how far beyond they are allowed to go - maybe 10 or 15 per cent, I don't know - but the one thing that shouldn't be allowed to happen is for clubs to face financial ruin.

We are a proud club - a small one, admittedly but a proud one nevertheless - who were nearly put out of business by reckless spending. If any set of fans should be 100% behind the spirit of FFP it is us.
[Post edited 15 May 2020 10:34]
Agueroooooooo! on 10:54 - May 15 with 1225 viewsterryb

Agueroooooooo! on 10:59 - May 14 by St_Pollock

Man Utd didn't buy their way to the table.

They went 26 years without winning the title and it was only because they had a good youth system and scouting system in place that that changed.

Even the missing link between the near failure of 1992 and the success of 1993 - Eric Cantona - only cost £1m which was the same as we paid 3 years earlier for Roy Wegerle.

The big money they subsequently spent was always taken from prize money.

If that's not more acceptable to you than what Man City have done just because of glory hunters from Surrey then I really don't know what to say.

This is so not true!

Clubs have bought the championship throughout the lifetime of the Football League. There may have been maximum wages paid prior to 1963, but that didn't stop the clubs paying higher transfer fees & funding "part time" jobs for their players!

Ther following all "bought " the title & I'm sure many others did as well:-

Preston - 1880's
Blackburn 1880's,1890's 1990's
Huddersfield -1920's
Arsenal - 1920's,1930's,1990's,2000's
Manchester Unioted - 1950's,1960's,1990's,2000's,2010's
Wolves - 1950'S
Burnley 1960
Tottenham -1960's
Liverpool - 1960's, 1970's & 1980's
Leeds 1960's,1970's
Chelsea 2000's, 2010's
Manchester City 2010's
[Post edited 15 May 2020 11:03]
Agueroooooooo! on 11:14 - May 15 with 1208 viewsterryb

Agueroooooooo! on 10:07 - May 15 by St_Pollock

Most of the 66/67 squad were home grown and out of the 6 players who weren't most were cheap cast offs apart from Rodney who cost £15k.

As for 75/76, the majority of players were home grown again and those who weren't were, again, cheap cast offs or funded by the sale of Marsh for £200k and the increased gate receipts from 72/73 onwards.

Regardless, the one thing Gregory can never be accused of is placing the existence of this club at risk through poor financial control. Neither could Bulstrude, neither could Thompson.

The only time the existence of QPR has ever been at risk due to financial reasons since Gregory's reign - not including Wright as that was a bit more complicated due to the deal with Wasps - was when we spent far beyond our means as a boutique club.: did alarm bells not ring as you looked around 19,000 capacity Loftus Road and watched players from Real Madrid and AC Milan play for us?

I don't think clubs should be required to spend only within their income means but there clearly needs to be a limit of how far beyond they are allowed to go - maybe 10 or 15 per cent, I don't know - but the one thing that shouldn't be allowed to happen is for clubs to face financial ruin.

We are a proud club - a small one, admittedly but a proud one nevertheless - who were nearly put out of business by reckless spending. If any set of fans should be 100% behind the spirit of FFP it is us.

Gregory spent a fortune!

Before we get on to players, the whole ground was rebuilt & the capacity was increased to 35,000 after SAR & ER had new stands. I would call that good business.

On the playing front:-

Marsh cost more than any other player in the third division.

Venables, Clark & Mobley were bought in 1969 & paid top wages (I accept that is just my opinion, but why else would they have joned a relegated club?).

Givens, Bowles & Thomas cost a combined £300,000 in 1972. That was an incredible amount for a top club, never mind a second division team!

Ther Venables side were mainly purchased at prices & wages that were way above the norm for the second division - Burridge, Roeder, Hazell, Wicks, Currie, Allen Stainrod, Flanagan, Sealy, McCreary & others.
Agueroooooooo! on 11:19 - May 15 with 1205 viewsloftus77

Agueroooooooo! on 10:54 - May 15 by terryb

This is so not true!

Clubs have bought the championship throughout the lifetime of the Football League. There may have been maximum wages paid prior to 1963, but that didn't stop the clubs paying higher transfer fees & funding "part time" jobs for their players!

Preston - 1880's
Huddersfield -1920's
Wolves - 1950'S
Burnley 1960
Tottenham -1960's
Leeds 1960's,1970's
Chelsea 2000's, 2010's
Manchester City 2010's

Of that list, Huddersfield in the 1920s surprises me. I always assumed that Herbert Chapman's team was pretty much home-grown.
Login to get fewer ads

Agueroooooooo! on 11:19 - May 15 with 1205 viewsstowmarketrange

Agueroooooooo! on 10:07 - May 15 by St_Pollock

Who were the home grown players in the squad in 75-76?The fullbacks,Francis and sub mick leach were the only ones I can think of.Everybody else was bought for pretty good sums of money,certainly not funded by the sale of 1 player over 4 years previously.We spent around £700,000 on 8 players from that 75-76 squad.Not a great amount,but certainly more than we’d ever spent before.
What was the cost of attending games in the early 70’s?I don’t think it was enough to cover the outlay on players and their wages.

Did you go to the play off final in 2014?There were 45,000 qpr fans that didn’t worry that we’d spent more than anyone else that season and shouldn’t have had to rely on the play offs to get promoted,but it was one of the greatest days in our history.We wouldn’t have got there without spending money on players to win matches.

Even this season,how many of our team have come from the juniors?Only Lumley has played any major part,and that wasn’t always for the best.

Don’t get me wrong,I’m enjoying this season because of the young hungry players that we’ve got at the moment,but if BOS,Manning and Eze get sold,we’ll be back to square one again.
Agueroooooooo! on 11:30 - May 15 with 1194 viewsterryb

Agueroooooooo! on 11:19 - May 15 by loftus77

Of that list, Huddersfield in the 1920s surprises me. I always assumed that Herbert Chapman's team was pretty much home-grown.

You may well be right.

I admit that I assumed they had to have "overpaid" to win the league three seasons running!

At one point Sunderland were regarded as the "Bank of England" club due to the amount's of their outlay!
Agueroooooooo! on 17:10 - May 15 with 1140 viewsNorthernr

Agueroooooooo! on 11:37 - May 14 by St_Pollock

Derry put his hands on him, he took advantage.

If the former doesn't happen then he doesn't go down.

Our players would have done exactly the same.

Even if you despise diving - and that equates to not celebrating any dubious penalties in our favour because if you do that is a clear admission that you're a hypocrite - Ashley Young doing what he did can not seriously be compared to what Man City have done.

It's honestly embarrassing that QPR fans are still happy to celebrate what City 'achieved'.

Right hang on a minute here dicksplat. I'm smelling a bit of a rat with this steadfast defence of Man Utd. Anybody who's ever seen a football game before who comes up with any remote defence of that Ashley Young penalty needs to have a long hard look in a very big mirror.

1 - It's not a fcking penalty. Watch the replay and don't give me all this hands on him bollox. It's not a penalty. Even if you're not a QPR fan and your heart strings aren't tugged by the idea of a modern day club legend getting sent off on the day he captained the club at Old Trafford, and how proud that made the family of a journeyman footballer, it's still not a fcking penalty. I've never met a single person, QPR or otherwise, or heard a pundit suggest anything other than this was a dive and a dreadful refereeing decision. Even my died in the wool Man Utd mate laughs and admits it was a joke decision. Hands on him my arse.

2 - He's two fcking yards offside anyway. Even if Derry had pulled out a gun and shot him straight in the back of his cheating skull, it was still our free kick.

3 - Lee Mason was the referee. He was also chairman of the Bolton referee's association. He was also a Bolton Wanderers season ticket holder. His brother also played for Bolton Wanderers. He wasn't allowed to referee Bolton matches because it would have been akin to letting me referee QPR matches. And yet he was allowed to referee our game at a point when it was between us and them for the final relegation spot. It was as bent as football gets in this country.

Hands on him indeed. Get in the fcking sea.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Agueroooooooo! on 17:20 - May 15 with 1121 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Agueroooooooo! on 17:10 - May 15 by Northernr

Right hang on a minute here dicksplat. I'm smelling a bit of a rat with this steadfast defence of Man Utd. Anybody who's ever seen a football game before who comes up with any remote defence of that Ashley Young penalty needs to have a long hard look in a very big mirror.

1 - It's not a fcking penalty. Watch the replay and don't give me all this hands on him bollox. It's not a penalty. Even if you're not a QPR fan and your heart strings aren't tugged by the idea of a modern day club legend getting sent off on the day he captained the club at Old Trafford, and how proud that made the family of a journeyman footballer, it's still not a fcking penalty. I've never met a single person, QPR or otherwise, or heard a pundit suggest anything other than this was a dive and a dreadful refereeing decision. Even my died in the wool Man Utd mate laughs and admits it was a joke decision. Hands on him my arse.

2 - He's two fcking yards offside anyway. Even if Derry had pulled out a gun and shot him straight in the back of his cheating skull, it was still our free kick.

3 - Lee Mason was the referee. He was also chairman of the Bolton referee's association. He was also a Bolton Wanderers season ticket holder. His brother also played for Bolton Wanderers. He wasn't allowed to referee Bolton matches because it would have been akin to letting me referee QPR matches. And yet he was allowed to referee our game at a point when it was between us and them for the final relegation spot. It was as bent as football gets in this country.

Well, I think that about covers it.

Any questions, anyone?

Agueroooooooo! on 17:23 - May 15 with 1103 views2Thomas2Bowles

Get in the fcking sea

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Agueroooooooo! on 17:47 - May 15 with 1090 viewsloftboy

I emailed the FA after that game pointing out the conflict of interest,got a real snotty reply back saying that I was wrong!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Agueroooooooo! on 18:27 - May 15 with 1050 viewsstowmarketrange

You explain it so well.And to get a red card too was a double whammy.I bet Mason never had to buy a drink in Bolton for a week or two.
Agueroooooooo! on 18:28 - May 15 with 1039 viewsSt_Pollock

Do you feel better getting that off your chest? I hope so.

Did you see the part where I said that Ashley Young took advantage of Derry putting his hands out? Well, maybe I was a bit too vague. That was me admitting that he took a dive.

The problem is that Derry put his hands on him - no matter how slight the touch that is undeniable - and you'd have to be Stevie Wonder to not see that.

Shaun Derry had been a professional footballer for 17 years by the time he played that game and if he hadn't learnt that in the modern era you can't put your hands on an opposition player in the penalty box he is/was an idiot ill deserving of sympathy.

Do I like that that's what football has become? Absolutely not but it is what it is and Derry played, like I said, like a star struck 3rd Division player.

For the record, the FA upheld the ban as well.

Quick question l have asked elsewhere, do you show disgust when our players dive? If you don't, you're a hypocrite. No more, no less and I have little doubt that you would have celebrated us winning a penalty at Old Trafford in a similar fashion that day.

Finally, maybe I'm being paranoid but I take offence at you saying that you smell a rat which sounds like an insinuation that I am either on a wind up or a secret Man Utd fan.

I'm in my 40s and well beyond the stage in life where everything is black and white as far as QPR are concerned.
[Post edited 15 May 2020 18:31]
Agueroooooooo! on 18:31 - May 15 with 1034 viewsSt_Pollock

Agueroooooooo! on 10:54 - May 15 by terryb

This is so not true!

Preston - 1880's
Huddersfield -1920's
Wolves - 1950'S
Burnley 1960
Tottenham -1960's
Leeds 1960's,1970's
Chelsea 2000's, 2010's
Manchester City 2010's

Please tell me how Man Utd spent big money to win the title in the 50s...

Not being rude but you have so many mistakes on that list that I'm honestly not sure where to begin but that seems like a good place.

Shankly also spent most of his money on lower division players (thrown in incase NorthernR thinks I'm a Man Utd fan again!!)
[Post edited 15 May 2020 18:34]
Agueroooooooo! on 18:55 - May 15 with 992 viewsstowmarketrange

Agueroooooooo! on 18:28 - May 15 by St_Pollock

Do you feel better getting that off your chest? I hope so.

Did you see the part where I said that Ashley Young took advantage of Derry putting his hands out? Well, maybe I was a bit too vague. That was me admitting that he took a dive.

The problem is that Derry put his hands on him - no matter how slight the touch that is undeniable - and you'd have to be Stevie Wonder to not see that.

Shaun Derry had been a professional footballer for 17 years by the time he played that game and if he hadn't learnt that in the modern era you can't put your hands on an opposition player in the penalty box he is/was an idiot ill deserving of sympathy.

Do I like that that's what football has become? Absolutely not but it is what it is and Derry played, like I said, like a star struck 3rd Division player.

For the record, the FA upheld the ban as well.

Quick question l have asked elsewhere, do you show disgust when our players dive? If you don't, you're a hypocrite. No more, no less and I have little doubt that you would have celebrated us winning a penalty at Old Trafford in a similar fashion that day.

Finally, maybe I'm being paranoid but I take offence at you saying that you smell a rat which sounds like an insinuation that I am either on a wind up or a secret Man Utd fan.

I'm in my 40s and well beyond the stage in life where everything is black and white as far as QPR are concerned.
[Post edited 15 May 2020 18:31]

It was only the one hand that he brushed him with.And if you think that we would’ve got a penalty like that at Old Trafford with that referee,then you’re seriously deluded.
Agueroooooooo! on 19:11 - May 15 with 978 viewsRed_Ranger

Agueroooooooo! on 15:50 - May 14 by Northernr

Wasn't there some story that WADA asked to move into their training ground and monitor their methods the following season, leicester said yes of course and then immediately went back to being the midtable team they always had been before? Or is that an old wives tale?

is that WADA story true?
ive never heard that before.
Anyone?
Agueroooooooo! on 19:14 - May 15 with 971 viewsSt_Pollock

Agueroooooooo! on 18:55 - May 15 by stowmarketrange

It was only the one hand that he brushed him with.And if you think that we would’ve got a penalty like that at Old Trafford with that referee,then you’re seriously deluded.

Referees naturally - maybe unsubconsciously though that is open to debate - rule against the inferior players in such incidents.

Shaun Derry was, to quote NorthernR, a 'journeyman footballer' who played like a star struck 3rd division player so it is inevitable that referees wouldn't side with him. Cruel, but known well enough that he should have had it drilled into every player not to put their hands on Utd players in the penalty box.

Ashley Young dived but if Derry doesn't put his hands on him he can't. It really is that straight forward. He defended like a novice and paid the price. Welcome to football in the 21st century.

Would we have got such a soft penalty at Old Trafford? Probably not but for two reasons. Man Utd fielded some of the best defenders in The World and the referee's bias would obviously be in their favour against out perceived inferior players. Also, intelligent defenders don't put their hands on opposition players in the penalty box where they may create an opportunity to dive. We do, however, like every team on the planet get awarded soft penalties in our favour too as a consequence of our players diving/cheating/taking advantage. Everyone is doing it.

In an ideal World we wouldn't have diving but it's been with us for decades and is a fine art now and yet a man who had nearly 2 decades experience of professional football behind him still put his hands on an opposition player in the penalty box. He is an idiot.
Agueroooooooo! on 19:15 - May 15 with 971 viewsloftboy

Agueroooooooo! on 18:31 - May 15 by St_Pollock

Please tell me how Man Utd spent big money to win the title in the 50s...

Not being rude but you have so many mistakes on that list that I'm honestly not sure where to begin but that seems like a good place.

Shankly also spent most of his money on lower division players (thrown in incase NorthernR thinks I'm a Man Utd fan again!!)
[Post edited 15 May 2020 18:34]

What is a Surrey red doing on little old QPR’s message board?

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Agueroooooooo! on 19:17 - May 15 with 967 viewsRed_Ranger

Anyway back to Eastlands.
When Mackie scored was my best QPR moment ever.
Lowest - Cardiff.
And i salute EVERYTHING in between.
God i miss seeing the Superhoops
Agueroooooooo! on 19:18 - May 15 with 960 viewsSt_Pollock

Agueroooooooo! on 19:15 - May 15 by loftboy

What is a Surrey red doing on little old QPR’s message board?

Ha ha, I love how anyone who doesn't express the agreed opinion on football message boards is never quite who they say they are...

Rangers through and through, mate, but not a sheep to baa the mantras.
Agueroooooooo! on 19:23 - May 15 with 946 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Agueroooooooo! on 19:18 - May 15 by St_Pollock

Ha ha, I love how anyone who doesn't express the agreed opinion on football message boards is never quite who they say they are...

Rangers through and through, mate, but not a sheep to baa the mantras.

I don't know if you're a WUM or not, but you sure smell funny.

Landed from nowhere, with an agenda, got copped, little bit of Wiki research, to back up your efforts, got called on that on here by Terryb and others.

You haven't mentioned anything Rangers yet, just all United, You can see how people are on to you.

On my ignore list. Life's too short.

*If you do happen to be Rangers, the first pint is on me. But I doubt it.

Agueroooooooo! on 19:30 - May 15 with 935 viewsSt_Pollock

Agueroooooooo! on 19:23 - May 15 by BrianMcCarthy

I don't know if you're a WUM or not, but you sure smell funny.

Landed from nowhere, with an agenda, got copped, little bit of Wiki research, to back up your efforts, got called on that on here by Terryb and others.

You haven't mentioned anything Rangers yet, just all United, You can see how people are on to you.

On my ignore list. Life's too short.

*If you do happen to be Rangers, the first pint is on me. But I doubt it.

What do you want me to talk about?

Obscure ZDF games at home to Crystal Palace where we lost 3-2 after being 3-0 down and having a goal disallowed which would have made it 3-3?

Should I talk about Chippy scoring a goal in our 2-1 friendly win at The Den when Kevin Gallen and Keith Stevens were asked to be substituted rather than be sent off?

Should I talk about the fans who did the Opps Upside Your Head dance on the platform after an away match at Derby in the 1970s?

Should I talk about Silly Jim on the LSA coaches - and his ever present hat - and how Blackburn away in 1994 was the last trip he ever made before his tragic death in that summer?

Should I talk about the Kinghams and Smuts and the early years of the LSA?

Let me know what opinions I need to express and what subjects I need to talk about, please.

My preference is to contribute to threads which take my fancy though, if that's OK with you, of course.

Oh, by the way... Its not Wiki searches but knowledge.
[Post edited 15 May 2020 19:31]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024