Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should Dominic Cummins resign? 16:07 - May 24 with 21230 views1949er

Should Dominic Cummins resign?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Poll: Where will we finish this season?

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 11:28 - May 31 with 1853 viewsD_Alien

At risk of breaking my own pettiness guidance here, but i really can't abide the BBC reportage that starts with "Minister defends easing of lockdown"

Defends? That's almost used as a pejorative, when what any neutral broadcaster should use is "explains". We can make our own minds up, thanks. It's not as if anyone is "attacking" the new guidance; different opinions are being expressed, that's all

And it's not as if Emily Maitlis took herself off air last week after being ruled to be in contravention of broadcasting neutrality the night before, but it appears the BBC can't even learn that simple lesson

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 12:08 - May 31 with 1816 viewsTVOS1907

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 09:59 - May 31 by isitme

My side of the debate is that all of them are wrong. I have never defended Cummings and never will as what he did was wrong and he should have resigned. I also believe that every politician who has broke the rules should resign, but that has not happened.

I just do not like liars and hypocrites. Rosie Duffield had an article in the Daily Mirror, rightly critising Cummings whilst at the same time she knew that she was breaking lockdown rules. For the jogger to go to such extremes to fake a story is also totally bizarre.

You say all that, but you also seem to be at pains to keep finding examples where someone from the opposition has done wrong.

Like 442 keeps saying, this really shouldn't be a matter of politics and whenever someone says "Well one of those nasty Labour types did it as well, so....", they have lost part of their argument.

I'm not a political person and I'd never heard of this Cummings bloke until about a fortnight ago, so I couldn't care less what he did for Brexit, what he does for the PM and what he does for his party. I imagine a large proportion of the country are the same.

What I can do, though, is make up my own mind from watching things like his laughable explanations in the rose garden last Monday and, in my opinion, his position should be untenable.

I know you've sort of said the same, but I'm saying it without prejudice.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 12:09 - May 31 with 1811 viewsTVOS1907

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 11:28 - May 31 by D_Alien

At risk of breaking my own pettiness guidance here, but i really can't abide the BBC reportage that starts with "Minister defends easing of lockdown"

Defends? That's almost used as a pejorative, when what any neutral broadcaster should use is "explains". We can make our own minds up, thanks. It's not as if anyone is "attacking" the new guidance; different opinions are being expressed, that's all

And it's not as if Emily Maitlis took herself off air last week after being ruled to be in contravention of broadcasting neutrality the night before, but it appears the BBC can't even learn that simple lesson

"We can make our own minds up, thanks."

At last, someone has said it!

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 12:37 - May 31 with 1787 viewsisitme

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 12:08 - May 31 by TVOS1907

You say all that, but you also seem to be at pains to keep finding examples where someone from the opposition has done wrong.

Like 442 keeps saying, this really shouldn't be a matter of politics and whenever someone says "Well one of those nasty Labour types did it as well, so....", they have lost part of their argument.

I'm not a political person and I'd never heard of this Cummings bloke until about a fortnight ago, so I couldn't care less what he did for Brexit, what he does for the PM and what he does for his party. I imagine a large proportion of the country are the same.

What I can do, though, is make up my own mind from watching things like his laughable explanations in the rose garden last Monday and, in my opinion, his position should be untenable.

I know you've sort of said the same, but I'm saying it without prejudice.

I have cited Jenrick as well as Cummings in previous posts on this issue as examples of lockdown breakers. Unfortunately, all of the other recent examples have been opposition politicians.

As both yourself and 442 admit, you are not really 'political people' and for many they quite rightly make a moral, rather than political judgement on anyone's actions. Although for a signifcant, more politicised section of the country they do care about the things to do with Cummings that you do not.

I do not disagree with you that his position should be untenable and agree entirely that is explanations were laugahable, especially for someone who is supposedly so intelligent.
[Post edited 31 May 2020 12:38]
Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 12:45 - May 31 with 1771 views442Dale

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 12:37 - May 31 by isitme

I have cited Jenrick as well as Cummings in previous posts on this issue as examples of lockdown breakers. Unfortunately, all of the other recent examples have been opposition politicians.

As both yourself and 442 admit, you are not really 'political people' and for many they quite rightly make a moral, rather than political judgement on anyone's actions. Although for a signifcant, more politicised section of the country they do care about the things to do with Cummings that you do not.

I do not disagree with you that his position should be untenable and agree entirely that is explanations were laugahable, especially for someone who is supposedly so intelligent.

The way out of this won’t be by being political, there was another thread that I think was closed where that need to avoiding politicising things was promoted and rightly so.

And he’s certainly isn’t the genius he or others think he is, that’s been proven. Untenable indeed; he’s a busted flush and any thoughts, ideas and suggestions he may have, even those with merit, should no longer hold any weight. It reflects poorly on those who are prepared to listen.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 12:47 - May 31 with 1762 viewsTVOS1907

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 12:37 - May 31 by isitme

No idea who Jenrick is either, so I'll have to resort to Google.

"all of the other recent examples have been opposition politicians."

Maybe that's down to the sources you're using. Apologies if not.

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 12:55 - May 31 with 1741 viewsD_Alien

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 12:45 - May 31 by 442Dale

The way out of this won’t be by being political, there was another thread that I think was closed where that need to avoiding politicising things was promoted and rightly so.

And he’s certainly isn’t the genius he or others think he is, that’s been proven. Untenable indeed; he’s a busted flush and any thoughts, ideas and suggestions he may have, even those with merit, should no longer hold any weight. It reflects poorly on those who are prepared to listen.

"...any thoughts, ideas and suggestions he may have, even those with merit, should no longer hold any weight."

That can't be right, ever. Are you saying they shouldn't hold any weight simply because he holds those thoughts, ideas suggestions? That might well include a very significant proportion of the population who might agree with him

And even if those thoughts, ideas, suggestions originate from him, they can and should be considered on their merits. His actions were, and remain, indefensible but if we were to take your point on board then very few politicians or advisers would ever put their head above the parapet set by the media due to some moral impropriety or other, and we'd be left with timidity on a scale which no modern democracy could withstand
[Post edited 31 May 2020 13:03]

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 13:02 - May 31 with 1730 views442Dale

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 12:55 - May 31 by D_Alien

"...any thoughts, ideas and suggestions he may have, even those with merit, should no longer hold any weight."

That can't be right, ever. Are you saying they shouldn't hold any weight simply because he holds those thoughts, ideas suggestions? That might well include a very significant proportion of the population who might agree with him

And even if those thoughts, ideas, suggestions originate from him, they can and should be considered on their merits. His actions were, and remain, indefensible but if we were to take your point on board then very few politicians or advisers would ever put their head above the parapet set by the media due to some moral impropriety or other, and we'd be left with timidity on a scale which no modern democracy could withstand
[Post edited 31 May 2020 13:03]

As in he shouldn’t be in a position right now where he’s able to make suggestions etc as most seem to agree. Simply that.

Login to get fewer ads

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 13:05 - May 31 with 1717 viewsD_Alien

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 13:02 - May 31 by 442Dale

As in he shouldn’t be in a position right now where he’s able to make suggestions etc as most seem to agree. Simply that.

Thanks for the clarification

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 13:31 - May 31 with 1685 viewsBartRowou

Does anyone know any shielders who are going to unshield as of midnight tonight? Why has Cumming allowed this when the R rate (which seems to have disappeared from the slides and varies widely across the UK) isn't budging and the Boston-tie-man was telling us we are at a "very dangerous moment"? It even still says on the gov.uk website that shielding should carry on shielding till the end of the next month.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 17:03 - May 31 with 1583 viewsrochdaleriddler

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 10:28 - May 31 by D_Alien

This debate is now becoming a bit petty (yeah, i know, i've been there...)

I think we'll be seeing (with 2020 vision) a lot less of Cummings now. I've said before, i really don't want to see him grinning his way into No.10 like he has the run of the place, but his transgression and that of others in the public eye in no way justifies anyone thinking they can now do the same, any more than a celeb found to be speeding or drink/driving allows others to do so

[Post edited 31 May 2020 10:32]

A better comparison for Cummings would be the transport secretary getting done for air rage, or drink driving. It wouldn’t make me want to do it, but I wouldn’t give any of their subsequent pontification theh time if day

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 22:34 - May 31 with 1480 views442Dale

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/senior-heal

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 22:47 - May 31 with 1459 viewsD_Alien

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 17:03 - May 31 by rochdaleriddler

A better comparison for Cummings would be the transport secretary getting done for air rage, or drink driving. It wouldn’t make me want to do it, but I wouldn’t give any of their subsequent pontification theh time if day

That's not a better comparison

Have you used all that bogroll you gloated about stockpiling yet, thus potentially denying others the chance to buy?

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 23:12 - May 31 with 1433 viewsDaleiLama

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 12:47 - May 31 by TVOS1907

Is he the bald one?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 04:31 - Jun 1 with 1392 viewsD_Alien

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 23:12 - May 31 by DaleiLama

Is he the bald one?

No, generically speaking, but he knows a BAME mathematician

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 12:10 - Jun 1 with 1295 viewsrochdaleriddler

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 22:47 - May 31 by D_Alien

That's not a better comparison

Have you used all that bogroll you gloated about stockpiling yet, thus potentially denying others the chance to buy?

I don’t think 18 rolls could be classed as a stockpile ! I’ve bought more since then, shops are full of it!

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 12:22 - Jun 1 with 1291 viewsTVOS1907

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 23:12 - May 31 by DaleiLama

Is he the bald one?

No idea. I cba Googling it as the sun was out.

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 12:25 - Jun 1 with 1282 viewsDaleiLama

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 12:22 - Jun 1 by TVOS1907

No idea. I cba Googling it as the sun was out.

Turns out the one I was thinking of was in Black Adder

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 12:35 - Jun 1 with 1268 views442Dale

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 12:25 - Jun 1 by DaleiLama

Turns out the one I was thinking of was in Black Adder

Which series? The one when Prince George thinks he’s in charge but actually relies on Blackadder, who quietly hates George for his stupidity whilst selfishly looking for ways to get ahead irrespective of what the Baldricks of the world think?

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 13:59 - Jun 1 with 1223 viewsDaleiLama

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 12:35 - Jun 1 by 442Dale

Which series? The one when Prince George thinks he’s in charge but actually relies on Blackadder, who quietly hates George for his stupidity whilst selfishly looking for ways to get ahead irrespective of what the Baldricks of the world think?

If that's the one where George was off wenching most of the time, then yes!

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 19:40 - Jun 1 with 1121 viewsdalefan

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 17:03 - May 31 by rochdaleriddler

Right here goes, I am not political in any way and therefore have no axe to grind against anyone.
My voting history is Cyril Smith in the 70s/80s then his replacement for however long she lasted then can't remember until labour Blair for 3 general elections then no idea until this last election when I voted conservative For I have no idea of his name Heywood constituency..
My understanding is that Dominic Cummings after being investigated by the police they concluded he did NOT break any guidelines in his trip from London to Durham. His subsequent trip to a castle was deemed by the police to be a MIINOR breach of the guiglines and if they had 'caught' him they would merely have advised him to go back.
So the vitriol against him is in my opinion unjustified. Rochdaleriddlier has compared his transgressions as similar to someone drink driving, I would consider such a breach to be a major/serious breach. I would consider a minor breach to be more akin to someone doing 34 in a 30 limit. Not something that I would consider a resigning offence.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2020 19:45]
Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 06:44 - Jun 2 with 1035 viewsSandyman

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 12:47 - May 31 by TVOS1907

Jenrick will be in the news again...

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/robert-jenrick-met-police-westferry_uk_5e

This scandal has been simmering for a while

https://www.eastlondonadvertiser.co.uk/news/politics/andrew-wood-resigns-1-65179
Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 15:54 - Jun 5 with 825 views442Dale

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 16:00 - Jun 5 with 808 viewsDaleEdchup

Yes.

Cheers

DaleEdchup (78)
Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 16:03 - Jun 5 with 801 viewsDaleiLama

Should Dominic Cummins resign? on 15:54 - Jun 5 by 442Dale

Good heavens.

Who'd a thunk it?

Next thing you'll be telling us it's going to go dark tonight ………….

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024