Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
South Africa 2010 09:18 - Jun 11 with 1113 viewsslmrstid

Football's first World Cup in Africa kicked off 10 years ago today.

Any memories from that tournament?

Was a pretty naff World Cup from what I can remember, lots of dull games, the swerving ball controversy, those bloody vuvuzelas...

France were rubbish and didnt win a game - that was the one where Evra stormed out and Domenech was picking the team by astrology or something wasn't it?

England - Rob Green throwing the ball in against the US, ITV missing England's goal in that game, the famous "USA Win 1-1!" headline, Wayne Rooney being captured on camera saying something like "nice to be booed by your own fans" after we drew 0-0 with Algeria who had a Watford player in their team, eventually scraping past Slovenia before being wallopped by the Germans in Round 2 - but would that game have been different if Lampard's ghost goal had been allowed to make it 2-2?

Spain - won it by boring everyone to death by passing 3 million times to each before winning 1-0 (I looked it up this morning, they won every game from Round 2 to the Final 1-0...)

Netherlands - losing finalists, though did their best to win by systematically attempting to murder every Spanish player before they had a chance to score. Possibly the most lenient refereeing performance ever seen in the world by Howard Webb who took until the 109th minute to send someone off...and that wasn't Nigel de Jong despite the fact he nearly snapped Xabi Alonso in two along the midriff at one point.

Spain eventually scored in the 116th minute when the one man advantage meant they had someone not being murdered free to score.

Although the Dutch did at least get their revenge 4 years later when everyone had worked out if you just pressurised Spain and attacked them with speed you could beat them, and thus stuffed them 5-1.

So, anyone else remember stuff from 2010?
South Africa 2010 on 09:58 - Jun 11 with 1082 viewstraininvain

To be fair to Spain, they were so far ahead of every other team that their opponents stuck 11 players behind the ball and sat back hoping to nick a goal. Not sure you can blame Spain for the lack of goals in those games.

Spain didn’t win 3 major tournaments in a row by luck or passing sideways. That was the era when Barcelona and Spain dominated with the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Villa, Puyol, Pique, Busquets etc. And of course Messi in the case of Barcelona.
South Africa 2010 on 10:02 - Jun 11 with 1069 viewsslmrstid

South Africa 2010 on 09:58 - Jun 11 by traininvain

To be fair to Spain, they were so far ahead of every other team that their opponents stuck 11 players behind the ball and sat back hoping to nick a goal. Not sure you can blame Spain for the lack of goals in those games.

Spain didn’t win 3 major tournaments in a row by luck or passing sideways. That was the era when Barcelona and Spain dominated with the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Villa, Puyol, Pique, Busquets etc. And of course Messi in the case of Barcelona.

Yes, in fairness I might be being a bit disingenuous because they did have some wonderful players, but I did find some of their games quite boring, but yes in fairness the opposition probably contributed to those as well.
South Africa 2010 on 10:14 - Jun 11 with 1048 viewstraininvain

South Africa 2010 on 10:02 - Jun 11 by slmrstid

Yes, in fairness I might be being a bit disingenuous because they did have some wonderful players, but I did find some of their games quite boring, but yes in fairness the opposition probably contributed to those as well.

It wasn’t the best World Cup. Holland trying to kick lumps out of Spain in the final sums it up.

My standout memory is the Suarez handball to stop Ghana winning in the last minute of the quarter final. Uruguay went on to win on penalties.

I was in a pub watching the game with my a relative from Uruguay which was quite entertaining. I can understand the criticism Suarez took and it was well deserved. But I couldn’t help admire his desire to win at any cost and probably wouldn’t have cared if an English player had done the same in 2018 vs Croatia!
South Africa 2010 on 10:16 - Jun 11 with 1047 viewsRANGERS4EVER

The biggest highlight of that World Cup was the coca-cola advert and Shakira song. Absolute snoozefest.

I remember a classic game from nearly every World Cup since being born apart from that one.

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

South Africa 2010 on 10:27 - Jun 11 with 1015 viewsTacticalR

@slmrstid 'would that game have been different if Lampard's ghost goal had been allowed to make it 2-2?'

No. South Africa was a new low for English football. An absolutely pitiful display. Who can forget the inability of the England team to control the ball against Algeria? Or the sight of Özil breezing past Lampard and Barry? It was the end of the road for the motley crew of 'big players' who weren't that big.

Air hostess clique

South Africa 2010 on 10:29 - Jun 11 with 1010 viewsbosh67

It was a rubbish world cup. My company had the rights to make and sell Italy's official phone content having won the previous one. They were sh*t. Whimpered out in the group stage and England were awful as well.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

South Africa 2010 on 10:39 - Jun 11 with 992 viewsCamberleyR

Definitely one of the worst World Cups in living memory. I think I'm right in saying that only 1990 has a lower goals per game average.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

South Africa 2010 on 10:40 - Jun 11 with 990 viewsBrianMcCarthy

South Africa 2010 on 09:58 - Jun 11 by traininvain

Agreed. They were on the decline by 2010 as they attempted to shoe-horn players in to what had been a joyous 2006 and 2008 team. Still, I loved watching them in 2010. I agree that the games were low-scoring due to the oppo, but Spain found a way anyway.

Iniesta's goal was a thrilling moment, a victory for football over thuggery.

Otherwise, a fairly nondescript tournament, ruined by the noise of the vuvuzelas.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

South Africa 2010 on 10:46 - Jun 11 with 981 viewsPBLOCK

Main thing I remember Vuvuzelas the annoying trumpet things.
South Africa 2010 on 11:09 - Jun 11 with 956 viewsSonofNorfolt

It wasn't much better being there.
Saw Spain v Chile, England v Germany, Germany v Argentina and Spain v Germany.
I couldn't be bothered to spend much more time in J'burg for the final.
Of course Lampard's 'goal' mattered, much as Clint Hill's header did at Bolton.
Much of the crowd thought that it was a 'football experience' following both teams whilst blowing away at a vuvuzela.
Qatar will be worse.
South Africa 2010 on 11:24 - Jun 11 with 938 viewsToast_R

A load of white elephant stadiums left in it's wake.

It was a p*ss poor World Cup, England were rubbish but then were done out of a goal for 2-2 in one of the most incompetent pieces officiating you'll ever witness.

Maradona as Argentina coach was quite humorous and who can forget Yakubu's miss?
[Post edited 11 Jun 2020 11:27]
South Africa 2010 on 11:45 - Jun 11 with 907 viewsJuzzie

IIRC correctly that World Cup was the peak of the media (and publics) hysteria over England being the 'Golden Generation' (sic). I think England had the highest collective player value of any country, including the likes of Spain, Germany etc.

I didn't buy into the whole Golden Generation wnk fest but yes, we certainly had the calibre of squad to perform a lot better than we did. We were simply awful, fking rank awful.

Yes, goals do chnage games but even if we had gone 2-2 v Germany I think they'd stil have won. There was plenty of the game left and they were in a different gear to us. But yes, it does still rankle that it was not given when it was so blatantly over. If we're going to lose a game, let it be fair.

I though Howard Webb did a really good refereeing job in the final. The biggest game in the world with hundreds of millions of people watching and Holland were kicking lumps out of Spain. The Dutch had 8 yellow cards and 1 red (in extra time). They could have had three players sent of at least, maybe more. The Spanish had five yellow's too.
It would have been awful had so many players been sent off so Webb did really well to contain it.
South Africa 2010 on 13:51 - Jun 11 with 825 viewspaulparker

Worst World Cup in my lifetime, just boring with no stand out team, players, kits, games ,
Summed up for me by the first England game, I had erected a big tv in the garden and had loads of people over, I thought putting it on ITV HD would be a masterstroke
Anyway Gerrard goes clean through and all 10 of us are up out of our chairs waiting for the goal
Then a poxy advert comes on for a Renault, WTF every one screams then you could hear muffled cheers from the end of the road, England had scored but ITV HD cut to a fcuking commercial and we missed it
To me that summed up the worst World Cup ever

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

South Africa 2010 on 14:01 - Jun 11 with 811 viewspaulparker

South Africa 2010 on 11:45 - Jun 11 by Juzzie

IIRC correctly that World Cup was the peak of the media (and publics) hysteria over England being the 'Golden Generation' (sic). I think England had the highest collective player value of any country, including the likes of Spain, Germany etc.

I didn't buy into the whole Golden Generation wnk fest but yes, we certainly had the calibre of squad to perform a lot better than we did. We were simply awful, fking rank awful.

Yes, goals do chnage games but even if we had gone 2-2 v Germany I think they'd stil have won. There was plenty of the game left and they were in a different gear to us. But yes, it does still rankle that it was not given when it was so blatantly over. If we're going to lose a game, let it be fair.

I though Howard Webb did a really good refereeing job in the final. The biggest game in the world with hundreds of millions of people watching and Holland were kicking lumps out of Spain. The Dutch had 8 yellow cards and 1 red (in extra time). They could have had three players sent of at least, maybe more. The Spanish had five yellow's too.
It would have been awful had so many players been sent off so Webb did really well to contain it.

Disagree with the Golden Generation peak, I would say it was the 2006 World Cup for them
The whole squad and build up was one major cluster fcuk
Barry, Lampard , Terry , Gerrard , were in their 30s you then had a half fit Rio Ferdinand who went home , Lesley King who never should have gone He got injured in the first game ( even though he had a good season) carragher recalled who gives as much a sh1t about playing for england than I would Scotland
Joe Cole who never played , crouch who played 5 minutes,Heskey who hadn’t scored in 5 years upfront , terry undermining Gerrard
We got what we deserved I.e dumped out

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

South Africa 2010 on 14:18 - Jun 11 with 793 viewsMrSheen

South Africa 2010 on 14:01 - Jun 11 by paulparker

Disagree with the Golden Generation peak, I would say it was the 2006 World Cup for them
The whole squad and build up was one major cluster fcuk
Barry, Lampard , Terry , Gerrard , were in their 30s you then had a half fit Rio Ferdinand who went home , Lesley King who never should have gone He got injured in the first game ( even though he had a good season) carragher recalled who gives as much a sh1t about playing for england than I would Scotland
Joe Cole who never played , crouch who played 5 minutes,Heskey who hadn’t scored in 5 years upfront , terry undermining Gerrard
We got what we deserved I.e dumped out

You're right about the relative lack of anticipation around England, certainly compared to 2004, when they were potentially very good, and 2006, when they were already on the way down. Remember we didn't qualify for Euro 2008, my recollection was that the flags on cars rating was much lower by 2010. Dull tournament, useless hosts, not much entertainment outside France and Argentina's elimination, no standout games and really only two good sides, Germany, who were exciting, and Spain, who weren't - won all 4 knockout games 1-0.

Actually, I forgot Slovakia knocking out the Italians, best moment of the cup.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2020 14:23]
South Africa 2010 on 14:26 - Jun 11 with 778 viewsMrSheen

BBC Website showing Holland - Czech Republic from Euro 2004 now, about to kick off. One of the best games ever.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024