Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome 19:17 - Jul 23 with 27688 viewsNorthernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/52685

This post has been edited by an administrator
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 13:04 - Jul 24 with 2117 viewstoboboly

Agree with Jeff. No need to do a final whistle piece, would end up like Arse TV and suchlike. Happy to send a fiver every month to keep those match reports going.

And maybe bring back the away days feature? Now you are earning the big bucks ;)

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 13:10 - Jul 24 with 2107 viewsHanwellHoopster

First time poster, long time lurker. I believe I'm supposed to inform you that my favourite cheese is probably a creamy blue stilton. There is one from Waitrose called Long Clawson which is particularly good, and tells you far more about me than you need to know.

I wanted to post to thank you for the superb match report Clive, and add to the others here who would be delighted to contribute to support the sterling efforts you make. Sitting down to read the match reports on a Monday morning is a highlight of the week, and in recent years has often been more enjoyable than the game itself...

Edit - and agree with others, no need for a podcast etc after the game. Just find a way to monetise the existing content which is already top notch.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2020 13:11]
Pleasing all of the people, all of the time - Report on 13:10 - Jul 24 with 2106 viewsAntti_Heinola

Pleasing all of the people, all of the time - Report on 08:38 - Jul 24 by Northernr

I am examining options for next season, haven't seen a penny since March and that's not sustainable, particularly when travelling to matches comes back.

So far we're thinking of an option for people to donate, or sign up to chip in a bit each month - very Guardian I know but we can't put stuff behind a pay wall on this platform.

Or a Patreon with a post game podcast, recorded in the pub or on the train after the match. You wouldn't actually have to listen to it, but if as many people signed up to the Patreon as possible then that would cover our costs, and there'd also be some extra bonus material in the form of the podcast as a 'reward'. I'd have to perfect audio editing, and we're a bit worried that the last thing the world needs is another podcast, but yeh that was one idea we had.

Would be interested to hear people's thoughts...

This post has been edited by an administrator

Think I suggested ages ago that you do something like that Clive.
The other option might be a patreon just for your match reports? Patreons get emailed them, but they don't appear here?
Either way, more than happy to chip in, this is my favourite football content by miles here and would be delighted to pay for content.

Bare bones.

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 13:14 - Jul 24 with 2081 viewsMatch82

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 12:32 - Jul 24 by danehoop

I'd be content paying Patreon style to help keep the site going. Given the amount of content that goes out and the huge amount of free time that is put into it by its creators that seems more than reasonable.

Appreciate that not everyone can contribute, especially not at such a difficult time, but a relatively low start point of say,£1 or £2 a month should be more than sufficient to gain a decent level of income. Maybe able to note on Post Forums levels of membership so pay a £10 a month makes you a gold member so to speak.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2020 12:36]

Happy to pay for the quality of the articles alone. In all seriousness though Clive how many of the other clubs see this kind of traffic on fansnetwork? You must be doing most of the heavy lifting for them from an advertising perspective. Worth a renegotiation?
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 13:15 - Jul 24 with 2073 viewsNottsQPR

Hi Clive

Your match reports quite simply make my week.

I’d happily pay monthly, but rather than a pod, what about an exclusive emailed bit of extra content?

Just an idea.

Paul
Pleasing all of the people, all of the time - Report on 13:17 - Jul 24 with 2066 viewsDevonWhite

Pleasing all of the people, all of the time - Report on 13:10 - Jul 24 by Antti_Heinola

Think I suggested ages ago that you do something like that Clive.
The other option might be a patreon just for your match reports? Patreons get emailed them, but they don't appear here?
Either way, more than happy to chip in, this is my favourite football content by miles here and would be delighted to pay for content.

Agree with this. I'd certainly be happy to pay for a Patreon subscription however you decided to set it up. You could keep the majority of the content free but would probably need something extra for Patreon subscribers. That could be additional new stuff like a podcast, or just some of the current content you produce (could keep the match previews and reports free and the other stuff like history, refs, etc as Patreon only).
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 13:28 - Jul 24 with 2046 viewsBAWHoops

Would absolutely happily pay.

I agree with the post about associating with something crap though.
In my uninformed opinion I think a £5 optional charge for anyone that wants to chip in will be snapped up. Football 365's forum did this recently and migrated away from the site which was closing down said forum, they created a GoFundMe for forum members and smashed their target allowing them to create a much slicker operation.

You could also offer a top tier package £500 for the LFW away day experience. Pay that and you can join the LFW gang on their away days. Travel organised for you etc etc. It's a bit 'buying friends' but you'd only need a couple of newbie fans to sign up really.
Could appeal to new foreign fans.

Perhaps find a way to integrate some of the fantastic QPR accounts cropping up on Twitter into the weekly content.
QPR On This Day is fantastic, so to is Antii Korpela.

R Generation is a fantastic idea led by seemingly very keen and committed younger fans, can they contribute to the site?

Obviously the idea of throwing enough shit at the wall and seeing what sticks isn't ideal, and the demise of The Football Ramble these last 6 months has highlighted that you don't mess with lightening in a bottle. But there is a happy medium that could certainly be met.

Finally, have a QPR fan sponsor each match. The podcast does it, so why not have a small charge to put a link up to a QPR fan run business.

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 13:29 - Jul 24 with 2045 viewsStanisgod

I'd pay just for the match reports

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Login to get fewer ads

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 13:36 - Jul 24 with 2018 viewsNushnool

I'm not a poster on the forum, but would be happy to pay a monthly sub just for the previews and match reports.

Feed your readers, Clive, and we will help feed you and the Euston train crew!
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 13:37 - Jul 24 with 2016 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I'd be happy to donate.

I've loved this site for nearly 18ish years.

At the end of a day a nice fruity IPA is £5+ usually.
4 Dark fruit Ciders or 3 Rekorderligs are £5.50 and £5 respectively in Tesco's so a voluntary donation of £5 or less or more per month isn't that much if you can afford to do so.
Or even a few times a year.

I think anyway.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2020 13:38]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 13:43 - Jul 24 with 1986 viewsNorthernr

Refined idea....

We ask people to sign up to a Patreon for next season to help meet the costs of our advertising money going away. Match previews and reports remain free to view (can't add a paywall to this platform). As a thank you for doing this and helping us through, whenever we do one of our big interviews we'll put the audio on the Patreon as a podcast for subscribers, starting with the two hour Ale Faurlin marathon. And I'll commit to doing say 12 big interviews across the season. Site stays as it is but we cover the funding gap, subscribers get a reward for subscribing without us turning into Arsenal Fan TV.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 13:46 - Jul 24 with 1966 viewsOutWestR

Yep, happy to pay. Been on this, and the old rivals board, for well over 15 years and I would miss the reports. l don’t think you need any add ons personally, just stick to what you’re excellent at.

Happy to pay more if you get rid of any political threads
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 13:48 - Jul 24 with 1955 viewsBrianMcCarthy

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 13:43 - Jul 24 by Northernr

Refined idea....

We ask people to sign up to a Patreon for next season to help meet the costs of our advertising money going away. Match previews and reports remain free to view (can't add a paywall to this platform). As a thank you for doing this and helping us through, whenever we do one of our big interviews we'll put the audio on the Patreon as a podcast for subscribers, starting with the two hour Ale Faurlin marathon. And I'll commit to doing say 12 big interviews across the season. Site stays as it is but we cover the funding gap, subscribers get a reward for subscribing without us turning into Arsenal Fan TV.

Was thinking about this while doing my weekly shopping (it's all go here, I can tell you) and I swear I had the same idea except I forgot about the audio.

I think that's cracking, nice and simple, all voluntary so no-one loses out and if it doesn't quite cover it then maybe look at the next step.

I would also consider putting in an option to pay more than £5 if people prefer - you've no idea what this site means to those of us who can't get to many games.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 13:49 - Jul 24 with 1952 viewsBostonR

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 13:43 - Jul 24 by Northernr

Refined idea....

I am more than happy to contribute - whatever it takes:

1. Happy with a monthly subscription, which I currently do with a number of publications.
2. Patreon also works for me.
3. Also happy to make a reasonable "one-off" payment. Out of interest how much does it cost you to do a full-match day and subsequent reports?
4. What do you need for the whole season?

BostonR.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 13:49 - Jul 24 with 1953 viewsPhildo

Happy to pay a patreon just as it is - if you are looking to add to that for others you could make match reports available 24 hours earlier on a mail out or something like that.

Always been too shy to introduce myself when I have seen you in the crown. It is a great service you provide and you should be rewarded for it. If you are nervous about that just stick a donate button on the site and remind us every now and then.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 13:50 - Jul 24 with 1949 viewsCincyHoop

Clive - would be happy to donate/pay on a monthly/annual basis in order to keep the site in its current workings. As someone who can't just jet across the pond to go to matches, this site is something that helps get me my fix as none of my friends care about my obsession with QPR.

Thanks for everything that you do.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 13:50 - Jul 24 with 1947 viewsNorthernr

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 13:48 - Jul 24 by BrianMcCarthy

Was thinking about this while doing my weekly shopping (it's all go here, I can tell you) and I swear I had the same idea except I forgot about the audio.

I think that's cracking, nice and simple, all voluntary so no-one loses out and if it doesn't quite cover it then maybe look at the next step.

I would also consider putting in an option to pay more than £5 if people prefer - you've no idea what this site means to those of us who can't get to many games.

Feels like a better idea than getting up on a Sunday morning hungover to try and edit what we said in the Crown the night before into something coherent doesn't it?
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 13:51 - Jul 24 with 1945 viewsdavman

Refined idea....

Seriously, I'd pay something for the same service we get anyway voluntarily and wouldn't care if some freeload without paying. I like the idea above of having some form of prize draw for those who contribute the money rather than you trying to deliver extra stuff.

Set up a gofundme type arrangement, see what you get and then decide what more you want to do; if you want to do more, I'll look / listen; if not, so be it.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 13:55 - Jul 24 with 1926 viewsrsonist

I'd fear for Norf's sanity if he had to commit to even more content to get by. Only half joking tbh.

It wouldn't be a charity case in the slightest, and I would strongly advise you make it as clear as reasonably possible the manhours and costs involved in doing all of this - that would loudly speak for itself. "Buy us a beer" type supporting language is all nice and good but there ought to be some communication of the nuts and bolts imperative necessity too.

The match reports are the flagship and I think you'd always want the most important bit out front for the future. Possibly the match previews could become subscriber content? (ie to be posted on Patreon only). As they tend to be week in review stuff in general.

Thinking in general as far as extra content goes, if there were ever a surplus in donations to pay its authors I'd be particularly interested in some sort of guest in depth tactical and/or statistical analysis column, either by game or even a monthly overview. NeilSI, Mark O'Haire and Jack Supple come to mind... I wish I could point to some next generation young budding nerds out there but I haven't seen any.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2020 13:56]
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 13:55 - Jul 24 with 1923 viewsMyke

(1) Definition of charity is giving something for free with no expectation of anything in return (You know, a bit like we did at home to SW). Therefore any donation would clearly not be charitable Clive, as you already provide so much quality material.
(2) Don't over complicate it by added 'extras' A fiver a month (or whatever the fee) is already great value because you already provide so much quality material.
(3) Of course some people won't pay. That's life
(4) To turn the whole 'charity' concept on its head, not only would I be happy to pay, I would be a bit relieved to pay as I have felt slightly guilty acquiring your outstanding work for free.
(5) Count me in, in whatever payment format you use.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 14:00 - Jul 24 with 1906 viewsrsonist

Alternatively ask Warbs for some insider trades.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 14:00 - Jul 24 with 1906 viewsNorthernr

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 12:51 - Jul 24 by Hunterhoop

Clive, forgive my ignorance but how come nothing has come through from Fans’ Network for the site given the adverts and volume you must be generating? Is Fans Network screwing you?

I’d be happy to contribute on a monthly basis, certainly. Don’t know enough about the topic to advise of the best manner, but would have no issue following the method chosen.

Advertising market has gone. Like properly gone. Channel 4 and ITV lost 50% of their ad revenue between March and April. FN are still pursuing ad payments from February. What money they have got is paying for photos, hosting, tech support, running costs. None of the journos have been paid since March. It's just publishing at the moment during this pandemic, I've had 25% of my salary chopped from my day job as well. If QPR came back next week with fans able to go home and away I wouldn't be able to afford to go and cover the aways with the money that's gone off my monthly income. Hence this discussion...
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 14:05 - Jul 24 with 1891 viewsNorthernr

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 13:49 - Jul 24 by BostonR

I am more than happy to contribute - whatever it takes:

1. Happy with a monthly subscription, which I currently do with a number of publications.
2. Patreon also works for me.
3. Also happy to make a reasonable "one-off" payment. Out of interest how much does it cost you to do a full-match day and subsequent reports?
4. What do you need for the whole season?

BostonR.

The big expense is the travel to the away games. Now I don't want it to sound like I want you guys to pay for me to go to QPR because that's taking the pis but it is a fact that I would be picking and choosing my aways these days if I didn't get paid to go. Now I'm not getting paid, so even if I did want to do a train-travelodge-meals-train Tuesday nighter at Blackburn I can't afford to do it. And when I get somebody else to do it, like Lee, we do pay them for that, as it's the right thing to do, so even not going costs me £30.

When we were in the Prem, and Ji-Sung Park was on board, this site would regularly do 200,000+ page impressions a day, and the economy was pretty good at that time so ad revenues were good and I was getting a very decent amount from here. It's dwindled over the years as QPR have got sht. Now it's gone completely because of the pandemic, literally £0 a month since March.

I want to keep it going but with the cut in salary at the day job as well now I'm not going to be able to afford to do football in the way I was before unless there's some income uptick somewhere. It's not even that much, few hundred quid a month would make a big difference.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 14:06 - Jul 24 with 1890 viewsfrancisbowles

I'm happy to contribute whatever you decide but are you saying the big interviews will only be available to patreons or that the written interview will also be available to all. I don't tend to listen to podcasts very often, whereas I read this site every morning with tea and BBC tv news.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 14:06 - Jul 24 with 1889 viewsBostonR

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 14:00 - Jul 24 by Northernr

Advertising market has gone. Like properly gone. Channel 4 and ITV lost 50% of their ad revenue between March and April. FN are still pursuing ad payments from February. What money they have got is paying for photos, hosting, tech support, running costs. None of the journos have been paid since March. It's just publishing at the moment during this pandemic, I've had 25% of my salary chopped from my day job as well. If QPR came back next week with fans able to go home and away I wouldn't be able to afford to go and cover the aways with the money that's gone off my monthly income. Hence this discussion...

So we can help how much do you need to go until the end of the year? Hopefully by then the vaccine arrives, crowds return and we can get back to normal. I am fortunate in that my business is not impacted and I still getting paid. I am sure others on this board are in a similar position. I would like to help.
When I am abroad I love this site - keeps me sane!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024