Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome 19:17 - Jul 23 with 27648 viewsNorthernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/52685

This post has been edited by an administrator
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 20:18 - Jul 24 with 1661 viewsNorthernr

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 20:16 - Jul 24 by Hunterhoop

Bloody hell. I knew A&P had been cut massively by the big FMCGs, but I stupidly didn’t connect the dots with ad revenues on here, given the ads remain, but it makes sense. Bit sh*tty of those withholding payment too.

Well, i’m certainly in for whatever mechanism you decide on, whether there’s extra content or not for those contributing. You do a great job, Clive. You had to step into some big shoes when Ron & Simon moved on all those years back, but you’ve not just done that, you’ve overseen the development of the best QPR fan site, and consistently produce the best prose in the world regarding QPR. And given all of us love QPR, I think it’s fair to say for many of us you’re providing a key part of our QPR supporting lives. If the market can’t find that, i’m sure we can.

And don’t feel in any way guilty or shameful about this. It simply isn’t warranted. You provide a service to QPR fans, in a variety of ways. It’s only fair that it’s profitable, and at the very minimum cost recoverable for you. Your work and writing is hugely appreciated...even more so than when you won that penalty shootout for ASB!

V kind mate. And we just don’t talk about the game the week after right?
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 20:20 - Jul 24 with 1652 viewsnix

Clive we raised this at the beginning of lockdown and <cross voice> lots of us offered to subscribe then, so it’s a no-brainer to set it up now.

I’m another one who spends way too much time on this site. I’d really miss it (yeah I know, saddo!).

You definitely deserve something in return for all the quality content you provide. It’s rare that writing makes me LOL but I always cackle at least twice and often more for each of your reports.

Just sort it out now before the season starts so you can plan for next season.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 20:21 - Jul 24 with 1649 viewsHunterhoop

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 14:58 - Jul 24 by Northernr

Yeh we used to do Awaydays as a thing, pre match travel and train, then a write up of the day.

I'll look at bringing them back when awaydays are a thing again, which I hear will potentially not be at all next season. :-(

Yes! The away day reports were brilliant. Did I write a terrible one for you 10-15 years ago, or was that a match report for Ron? I remember getting too drunk and having to read the Official website report to remind myself what happened in the actual game.

Be gutting if there is no away support allowed next year.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 20:23 - Jul 24 with 1647 viewsHunterhoop

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 15:42 - Jul 24 by rsonist

Coffee table book of flat roof pubs please.

Or that thread about Footballers fronting TV shows. Still the funniest thing on the Internet.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 20:26 - Jul 24 with 1635 viewsHunterhoop

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 20:18 - Jul 24 by Northernr

V kind mate. And we just don’t talk about the game the week after right?

Forgotten it already!
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 20:33 - Jul 24 with 1624 viewsMCSHABBY

Hi Clive ,

I too would be happy to pay a monthly subscription , as I said many times , we are so lucky to have the brilliant coverage you provide , there are games in previous seasons when your previews and reports have been the highlight of the match .

Long may your brilliant work in this parish continue
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 20:46 - Jul 24 with 1609 viewsMelakaRanger

There appear to be some very very generous people on this forum offering quite large sums.

But wouldn't a small voluntary/Patreon subscription each month of say £1 a month or £10 a year be enough? No extra content for that just the site as it is. After all, not everyone is in work and we will surely have many 'members' who are Pensioners or on low pay.

But I suspect most every fan would pay that small sum without any quibbles at all

I did think we should all chip in to continue to have access to this forum, as to make it voluntary some will pay and some won’t.

But maybe on second thoughts, try and see if the voluntary Patreon type thing solves the issue? Start with a minimum of £1 a month but allow those very genrous people who want to and are able to, to pay more.
[Post edited 25 Jul 2020 6:16]
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 20:47 - Jul 24 with 1608 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Spend money on a newspaper in the unfulfilled hope for decent reporting on football that isn't that Up its own ass, Premier League shite.

Subscription for a site offering genuine, objective partisan coverage, of course I would damn well pay.
Login to get fewer ads

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 21:13 - Jul 24 with 1577 viewsenfieldargh

tbh ive always feared you announcing that you had had enough.

like many fellow LFWders i spend far too much time religiously spending time on this fantastic platform.

will do whatever you need.

Do we get Sexy Friday back?????

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 21:15 - Jul 24 with 1575 viewsKiwi76

Happy to contribute Clive - not sure how many years I’ve been on here now & for those of us other side of the world this site has been the best way of connecting with our club.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 21:40 - Jul 24 with 1547 viewsAntti_Heinola

This is a great thread. Clive deserves this - I know he blocked a lot of hateful people on Twitter as he realised they didn't represent the majority, but I genuinely don't think he had any idea how highly he's regarded by fans for his work and his writing. Glad he now knows for sure.

Bare bones.

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 21:51 - Jul 24 with 1523 viewsradfords

I'm in. Just set the monthly contribution and I'll pay it.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 22:40 - Jul 24 with 1455 viewsHanwellHoopster

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 15:15 - Jul 24 by Northernr

We have had the idea of doing a book of classic reports. Both from things like the play-off final and 3-2 v Liverpool, but also the 0-0 v Stoke and 4-0 loss at Norwich when I went off on one.

Book of classic reports would be bloody brilliant. I'd love to buy that for my old man and a few friends. And myself of course.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 22:48 - Jul 24 with 1440 viewseastside_r

I am a little late to this (sh*t day) so what can I say that has not already been said.

I went for a while tagging Clive’s every editorial as ‘Excellent as usual’ and I had to stop myself because I was becoming a cliched fan-boy, Clive might have thought I could become a stalker.

But no. Here was someone who appeared to have a very similar sense of humour to me (poor him) loved QPR as much as me and boy could he write; with passion and humour.

I almost had a panic attack when I started reading the piece after the SW fiasco; I genuinely thought it was going to end with Clive announcing he was packing it all in.

I can’t come up with any smart ways to make money, to monetise this thing called Loft for Words but there are some good suggestions on here. I am sure collectively we will come up with a solution to maintain this fantastic site.

Whatever it takes, I am definitely in.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 22:48 - Jul 24 with 1440 viewsBlackCrowe

nah members only wouldn't work, this site would become a clique.

Give everyone who wants to pay the option to give what they want to on a monthly or lump sum basis and those who don't should still be welcome (within the confines of sanity). It'll be fine i reckon.

Put me down for 50p.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 22:49 - Jul 24 with 1435 viewskarl

Apologies for missing this till now.
LFW is essential for me following the club and definitely need the match threads, it's a unique place where an Irishman, logging in through Holland, was reporting to a disparate bunch scatered around the world hanging on his acronyms and fairness to everyone.
The reporting is 2nd to none and we're spoilt for sure.
Met many people through the site and consider some close friends so glady willing to pay in order to keep it viable.
Only recommendation would be not to close it to paying members only as I think that would create a clique and eventually see membership dwindle as potential new subscribers wouldn't get to see how good it is without paying out beforehand, I think too many would just go to whatever free site was available without checking LFW out.
I wouldn't need any extras to keep me on board, plenty content for me as it is.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 23:13 - Jul 24 with 1394 views2Thomas2Bowles

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 20:46 - Jul 24 by MelakaRanger

There appear to be some very very generous people on this forum offering quite large sums.

But wouldn't a small voluntary/Patreon subscription each month of say £1 a month or £10 a year be enough? No extra content for that just the site as it is. After all, not everyone is in work and we will surely have many 'members' who are Pensioners or on low pay.

But I suspect most every fan would pay that small sum without any quibbles at all

I did think we should all chip in to continue to have access to this forum, as to make it voluntary some will pay and some won’t.

But maybe on second thoughts, try and see if the voluntary Patreon type thing solves the issue? Start with a minimum of £1 a month but allow those very genrous people who want to and are able to, to pay more.
[Post edited 25 Jul 2020 6:16]

Well like distort I don't have much to give from me poncing off the gov (disability)

I'm sure there are loads of others who are skint and just can't go to a monthly sub

So like MelakaRanger I think maybe £10 a year and maybe Patreon for those that can give a bit more.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2020 23:14]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 01:03 - Jul 25 with 1311 viewsFredManRave

I can see what's going on here. It's Clives attempt to finish the year with the most viewed thread. Not falling for that one, even though I'm contributing! We all know who's gonna win, that particular race, Shirley (or Frankie).

In all seriousness, every single one of the posts in this thread speak volumes and are an interesting insight into every porsters opinion and dependency on this site and genuine appreciation of the time and effort that Clive puts into this site and that's without even mentioning the quality of his reports etc.

And I think all of us also deserve a much smaller pat on the back for making this site what it is with the wit and repartee that can be found on here on a daily basis. It's actually not just about QPR but about a community and virtual friendship and respect (in most cases) that has arisen because of this site and our main love of QPR but of our views and opinions on a whole range of other issues, preferably non political!

Personally, I left England 18 years ago and have been to approximately 1 game since I've been back (I'd like to personally maul those Hull bsatards for denying me, sorry us, in our moment of glory in 2011) but this site, and again not just for the brilliant Clive, but for the brilliant comunity, has become an integral part of my daily life and not just because of the importance to me of the, "If Carling did music threads on a football forum thread" but for the diversity and interesting and informative topics within it.

So in summary and as proven by the responses on this thread I genuinely don't think that Clive and the gang (good name for a band) will have any difficulty in finding a way to keep the present site going exactly as is. No need for additionas, bonuses, podcasts, prizes etc. Just keep as is and watch the money from grateful posters roll in.

I should add at this point that BostonR's post was, whilst well intentioned, over the top so I'd like to add my name to his offer and suggest that it's $600 each!

In all seriousness, and in summary, Clive, this thread just goes to show the appreciation and value that we all have for the time and effort and the quality of writing that you put into this site. I personally can only offer a packet of nobby nuts for when I'm next over but would happily pay a monthly subsciption to keep this site, in its present format going assuming you'd accept Argentinean Pesos.

The one final thing that I would add is that maybe it would be a good idea to share or hand over (to whoever is responsible enough; Me LBlock, xtc the administration of this thread beacuse I'm sure you spend way too much time doing it and it's the part that you least enjoy.

As they say in Barcelona; "Más que un forum"
[Post edited 25 Jul 2020 1:15]

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 02:26 - Jul 25 with 1278 viewstimcocking

Life without Clive...unimaginable. I dread the day.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 02:39 - Jul 25 with 1282 viewsFredManRave

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 02:26 - Jul 25 by timcocking

Life without Clive...unimaginable. I dread the day.

Enough about Anderson! What about northernr?!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 03:10 - Jul 25 with 1266 viewsColombiR

Can only echo everyone's thoughts here.
Abroad on and off for the last 15 years - including the last eight - and right now this forum and a whatsapp group with two Rangers mates from school is just about my strongest connection to the club and, to a certain extent, the UK.
Never miss a preview, oppo interview, or match report. Attempt to limit my forum browsing for the sake of my productivity but it's usually daily.
Would certainly make a monthly or annual contribution as you see fit, without expecting any extra content. Think keeping the site free to read would work best too as I love sharing the reports with friends who are fans of other clubs.

You would certainly not be considered a charity case as you already offer plenty of incredibly top quality content, though I understand why you might want to offer some kind of reminder or incentive to pay up. Definitely ditch the weekly podcast thing - overkill and too much work for you. I like the "Gold Member" idea, or special members' rights...not sure what.
Exclusive content would be good but there's so much free stuff out that that it'd be hard to know what would merit that label, especially once a month...it is your writing that makes your content stand out.
A commemorative printed annual, compiling match reports, interviews, forum posts of the season - only printing as many copies as there are members or something - could be the one.
I'm a writer and would happily proof any books or similar projects for free.
Olly
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 03:34 - Jul 25 with 1255 viewsBrisbaneR

Hi Clive, please, please don't stop what you are doing...this is my R's lifeline, I cant tell you how much I look forward to your match reports, previews and the general ramblings of my fellow Rangers on this site. Where else could I learn about topics as diverse as cheese, niche musical genre's and women I really shouldn't fancy (but do anyway)? I believe football is occasionally mentioned too.

I know a few others on here are fans of the work of Dan Carlin (Hardcore History, Common Sense etc.) and he ends every podcast with 'a buck a show...thats all we ask'. It sounds like you're coming around to the idea that this is not charity, rather a willing contribution made in return for a valuable service provided, so is it just a case of sorting out the mechanics now? Perhaps take a look at his website (www.dancarlin.com) and the 'Donate' set up he has running to see if thats something that could work for you?

I hope you're feeling the love after all these supportive posts, you really shouldn't sell yourself short when it comes to this site - the format and the content are superb, and well worth our support.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 04:28 - Jul 25 with 1232 viewsjtuck

Chiming in from California. Ready to contribute. Five-star writing that's become invaluable for Rangers fans. There's a lot to this site when you add in all the extras like the Forum, special features on new signings, interviews and such.

I enjoy hearing Clive on the Open All Rs podcast and personally think a LFW podcast unnecessary.

I'm sure there are many on here who have read every word of every match report this season. I know I have. Hyperbole alert..for me Clive you are up there with the greats like Brian Glanville and Hugh McIlvaney.

LAranger

Pleasing all of the people, all of the time - Report on 05:40 - Jul 25 with 1207 viewsUPPERLOFTNZ

Pleasing all of the people, all of the time - Report on 08:38 - Jul 24 by Northernr

I am examining options for next season, haven't seen a penny since March and that's not sustainable, particularly when travelling to matches comes back.

So far we're thinking of an option for people to donate, or sign up to chip in a bit each month - very Guardian I know but we can't put stuff behind a pay wall on this platform.

Or a Patreon with a post game podcast, recorded in the pub or on the train after the match. You wouldn't actually have to listen to it, but if as many people signed up to the Patreon as possible then that would cover our costs, and there'd also be some extra bonus material in the form of the podcast as a 'reward'. I'd have to perfect audio editing, and we're a bit worried that the last thing the world needs is another podcast, but yeh that was one idea we had.

Would be interested to hear people's thoughts...

This post has been edited by an administrator

Happy to support all the work you do anyway I can, and I'm sure all my fellow NZ R's would do the same. Like the idea of a vlog also. maybe make it a regular monthly thing so at least you know what you incomings are?

Football is Faith
Poll: OK.. Next season. Where do you think we will finish?

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 06:16 - Jul 25 with 1191 viewsdaveinmelbourne

I'd pay you something Clive, 100%. Your match reports really make my day.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024