Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Grammar 10:30 - Sep 3 with 11292 viewsPetros

Anyone have strong views about the use of the singular when talking about football teams? Eg Liverpool is at home to ... (Also music bands: Led Zeppelin has a new album out.)
It's an Americanism of course.
Hate it.
1
Grammar on 15:59 - Sep 3 with 1644 viewsPinnerPaul

All joking aside, some of it is just natural evolution of the language.

For example, most of what we say/write now would make someone from the 18th century cringe!
0
Grammar on 16:26 - Sep 3 with 1600 viewsDavieQPR

Grammar on 15:46 - Sep 3 by 100percent

I live at the edge of Borehamwood in a place call Well End. My kids like to call it Bell End. Not sure if that's one word or two words - bellend or bell end.
hope this helps.


Is the Mops and Brooms still there?.
0
Grammar on 16:28 - Sep 3 with 1596 viewsPlanetHonneywood

If it not mentioned yet:

1. Awesome - Seeing the sun rise over Mt. Fuji on a crisp morning is ‘awesome’. Giving your order to a waitress in a restaurant and her repeating the two items back to you, is a basic part of her job spec which she doesn’t need to herald with an ‘awesome’ because she got it right!

2. ‘erbs - it’s f.....g ‘herbs’ you inbreds! You don’t hear them say they once saw ‘erbie ‘ancock in concert while in ‘onolulu, ‘awaii.

Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

1
Grammar on 16:29 - Sep 3 with 1594 viewsqpr_1968

the trend lately, everyone starting a sentence with "so".

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

3
Grammar on 16:45 - Sep 3 with 1578 viewsNW10Hoop

Not sure anyone will ever agree with me on this, and not strictly grammar but - With two young kids who watch loads of programmes and videos about learning made in America, I'd be quite happy to just let the letter z be pronounced zee, zebra be pronounced zee-bra and tomato be toe-mate-oh.
Feels so awkward in a bumbling apologetic English way correcting the end of every song about the alphabet.
0
Grammar on 16:48 - Sep 3 with 1569 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

“For real”

Honestly!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

0
Grammar on 16:51 - Sep 3 with 1559 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Grammar on 16:45 - Sep 3 by NW10Hoop

Not sure anyone will ever agree with me on this, and not strictly grammar but - With two young kids who watch loads of programmes and videos about learning made in America, I'd be quite happy to just let the letter z be pronounced zee, zebra be pronounced zee-bra and tomato be toe-mate-oh.
Feels so awkward in a bumbling apologetic English way correcting the end of every song about the alphabet.


You’ll be asking us to take a different look at Trump next!

Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

0
Grammar on 16:54 - Sep 3 with 1551 viewsCamberleyR

Another Americanism, putting 'like' in front of everything where it is not needed, really boils my piss.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2020 16:58]

Poll: How many more points will we get this season?

1
Login to get fewer ads

Grammar on 16:58 - Sep 3 with 1537 viewsenfieldargh

Grammar on 15:06 - Sep 3 by DiggertheMole

Always "May I have a ...?".
Never "Can I get a ... ?"


my kids (children) when addressed by the waiter(server) when we all go out to eat at a restaurant would reply

Can I get the Chicken......

I then have stock replies of

Well go into the kitchen and get it, why are you asking the waiter
OK off you go, there is a shop just down the road

I could go on but usually get told to sling one....I still have to pay the bill mind

captains fantastic
Poll: If/when VAR is introduced to the championship (if we’re still in it) would you

1
Grammar on 17:04 - Sep 3 with 1513 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Grammar on 16:58 - Sep 3 by enfieldargh

my kids (children) when addressed by the waiter(server) when we all go out to eat at a restaurant would reply

Can I get the Chicken......

I then have stock replies of

Well go into the kitchen and get it, why are you asking the waiter
OK off you go, there is a shop just down the road

I could go on but usually get told to sling one....I still have to pay the bill mind


I take it you don’t say “ can I get the bill” then

Poll: Expectations for this season?

0
Grammar on 17:23 - Sep 3 with 1487 viewsDiggertheMole

When an American or an Aussie refers to someone being"pissed", I expect the object of their description to be crawling in the gutter after 25 pints of Crudgingtons' "Old and Filthy" but apparently in Gobbledespeak it means "upset" or "angry". The events of Valley Forge have had a ruinous effect on world communication. I feel it's time to re-colonize.
0
Grammar on 17:29 - Sep 3 with 1476 viewsMickS

Grammar on 16:29 - Sep 3 by qpr_1968

the trend lately, everyone starting a sentence with "so".


Big time for real.
0
Grammar on 17:58 - Sep 3 with 1437 viewsstowmarketrange

Grammar on 16:28 - Sep 3 by PlanetHonneywood

If it not mentioned yet:

1. Awesome - Seeing the sun rise over Mt. Fuji on a crisp morning is ‘awesome’. Giving your order to a waitress in a restaurant and her repeating the two items back to you, is a basic part of her job spec which she doesn’t need to herald with an ‘awesome’ because she got it right!

2. ‘erbs - it’s f.....g ‘herbs’ you inbreds! You don’t hear them say they once saw ‘erbie ‘ancock in concert while in ‘onolulu, ‘awaii.


Are you ‘aving a laugh me old china.Its every Londoners right to drop their aitches if they want to.
I ‘avent pronounced an aitch in almost 60 years and I ain’t gonna start now.
0
Grammar on 18:03 - Sep 3 with 1433 viewsGaryT

"I could care less"



Like Antti I used to get a bit peeved with bad spelling and grammar but these days I could care less!

A couple of years ago though, the 13 year old daughter of a friend was visiting and to paint the full picture, she had a sickly sweet high pitched voice with just a hint of a lisp and every other sentence ended with "sic!". Now as I said I'm not normally bothered by misspellings or the Americanism that has crept into the English language but for some strange reason, this new word grated with my like nails down a metal garage door and it took all my mental strength to stop myself from punching her in the face. I know, I'm not proud.
2
Grammar on 18:07 - Sep 3 with 1423 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Grammar on 17:58 - Sep 3 by stowmarketrange

Are you ‘aving a laugh me old china.Its every Londoners right to drop their aitches if they want to.
I ‘avent pronounced an aitch in almost 60 years and I ain’t gonna start now.


Yeah and what's this 'inbreds' thing?

Surely he means interbreds

Poll: Expectations for this season?

0
Grammar on 18:17 - Sep 3 with 1400 viewsBoston

Grammar on 17:23 - Sep 3 by DiggertheMole

When an American or an Aussie refers to someone being"pissed", I expect the object of their description to be crawling in the gutter after 25 pints of Crudgingtons' "Old and Filthy" but apparently in Gobbledespeak it means "upset" or "angry". The events of Valley Forge have had a ruinous effect on world communication. I feel it's time to re-colonize.


Around this neck of the American woods the term ‘pissah’ often predicated by wicked, is reasonably common working class slang.

Edit. It means good, great or awesome😀
[Post edited 3 Sep 2020 18:24]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

0
Grammar on 18:22 - Sep 3 with 1395 viewsdistortR

Grammar on 12:31 - Sep 3 by BrianMcCarthy

The modern Americanism "speaks to".

The amount of goals conceded speaks to how poor our defence was last year.

Whatever happened to "shows" or "demonstrates".


well, 'shows' are on hold because of covid, but there have been plenty of 'demonstrates', eg BLM
0
Grammar on 18:26 - Sep 3 with 1388 viewsdistortR

Grammar on 16:29 - Sep 3 by qpr_1968

the trend lately, everyone starting a sentence with "so".


prepare to be patronised.

yes, ised not ized, spellcheckt wat.
0
Grammar on 18:50 - Sep 3 with 1368 viewsBucksRanger

Grammar on 18:26 - Sep 3 by distortR

prepare to be patronised.

yes, ised not ized, spellcheckt wat.


I take it that 'capsise' is preferable to 'capsize' then.

The 'ize' ending has been in common use since the 15th century. The French 'ise' has wormed its way into everyday use only recently by comparison.

The Times newspaper only opted for 'ise' (French root) endings in their 1992 style guide. Before that date it was strictly 'ize' (Greek root).

The King James Bible, Shakespeare, Encyclopaedia Britannica, JRR Tolkien, and Agatha Christie all used 'ize' throughout their works.
0
Grammar on 18:50 - Sep 3 with 1365 viewsRangersDave

No it is not 'Awsome' , it does, in fact 'Fill you with awe'!

And do not get me started on the lazy man's advertising 'yank' style....'i'm lovin it'!

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

0
Grammar on 18:54 - Sep 3 with 1354 views100percent

Grammar on 16:26 - Sep 3 by DavieQPR

Is the Mops and Brooms still there?.


Just re-opened after being closed for the pandemic. Literally 200 yards from my house!
0
Grammar on 19:12 - Sep 3 with 1334 viewsNewhopphoops

Grammar on 18:54 - Sep 3 by 100percent

Just re-opened after being closed for the pandemic. Literally 200 yards from my house!


That's like literally the literal use of literally. Sick.
0
Grammar on 19:28 - Sep 3 with 1321 viewsqpr_1968

Grammar on 17:58 - Sep 3 by stowmarketrange

Are you ‘aving a laugh me old china.Its every Londoners right to drop their aitches if they want to.
I ‘avent pronounced an aitch in almost 60 years and I ain’t gonna start now.


and putting an aitch where you don't need one, like harks, instead of ask.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

0
Grammar on 19:39 - Sep 3 with 1300 viewsMickS

0
Grammar on 19:56 - Sep 3 with 1275 viewssmudgehoop

Grammar on 12:31 - Sep 3 by BrianMcCarthy

The modern Americanism "speaks to".

The amount of goals conceded speaks to how poor our defence was last year.

Whatever happened to "shows" or "demonstrates".


I think "speaks to" actually goes back to 17th-century England and the phrase coined by the Quaker George Fox "speaks to thy condition", meaning something rings true about your life. For example, QPR speaks to thy condition - I've supported the Hoops since 92/93 and experienced far more long suffering pain than if I didn't follow them, but there have been fleeting moments of absolute joy along the way and of course the friendships that have formed with other Rs are ultimately what counts the most. Yes for me, QPR definitely speaks to thy condition.

The phrase jumped across the pond in the 1950s when Quaker Bayard Rustin the (black and gay) American Civil Rights leader coined the term 'speaking truth to power' in a peace pamphlet he wrote. Speaking/speaks truth to power is now a term used the world over and Americans have shortened it for everyday use to simply "speaks to".
[Post edited 3 Sep 2020 20:05]


3
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© FansNetwork 2026