Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Premier League changes 12:56 - Oct 11 with 19266 viewsGloucs_R

http://news.sky.com/story/premier-leagues-major-clubs-propose-shrinking-top-flig

Trying to reduce it to 18 clubs, talk of a professional B League....

The rich getting richer

Poll: Are we staying up?

Premier League changes on 11:56 - Oct 14 with 2079 viewsBostonR

Premier League changes on 11:43 - Oct 14 by Northernr

I think they're in such dire straights now that they're grabbing onto this rescue and then cross that bridge later when they come to it.

You just know this is going to end badly for the EFL clubs whatever happens.

Just kicking that can down the road and leaving the problem for another day. You would not want to own a football club at the moment outside the PL bubble - worth very little "today".
Premier League changes on 12:32 - Oct 14 with 2003 viewsted_hendrix

Oh dear!

Just used to go to Rangers on a Saturday afternoon and the odd weekday evening game watch us win lose or draw and it never seemed to matter, the following week you done the same goddam thing, saw the same blokes talked the same nonsense at half time.
You could get so close to the loft touchline that you could smell the mud on the pitch, those day's were special but we didn't know it at the time, I know it now.

Why the hell don't you take your bastard money and stuff it where the sun don't shine and leave the rest of us alone to get on with it, clear off to somewhere else and take you're ''product'' and filth money with you.

Bastards.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Premier League changes on 12:32 - Oct 14 with 2006 viewsdavman

Premier League changes on 10:35 - Oct 14 by Northernr

"I don't agree on that, Clive. There are a number of clubs in the Prem outside the Top 6, who will (laughably in my opinion) feel that they are now an "Established" Prem Club and have adjusted their Infrastructure accordingly. The arrogantly and really stupidly feel that they warrant their place alongside the big boys and they will be seduced by those teams to re-enforce that belief."

So if they feel they're an established Prem Club why would they agree to go from the current situation where they get the same say/vote as the big clubs to one where Man Utd get to tell them what to do? With two fewer places for them thrown into the bargain? And the threat to their TV revenue in the future I've already discussed? It would be silly for the EFL clubs to vote for this, it would be properly stupid if somebody like Palace or Burnley did.

If they believe that they are established, they'll buy in to "closed shop" aspect of this. If they're not part of the Top 6 (which they won't be), they'll happily be part of the other 12, especially if they think that they are at the top of that particular food chain. Being in the 12 with a miniscule chance of "competing" will be infinitely better than being in the remaining 74 EFL Clubs, who have no chance.

The arrogance of Palace, West Ham, Newcastle, Leeds, Everton, Wolves and a few others is there to see - they don't believe that they will struggle and why should they pass up the chance of maximising their income and their position?

I actually think that common sense will prevail, but I am less confident than you appear to be...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Premier League changes on 12:35 - Oct 14 with 1992 viewsMick_S

Premier League changes on 12:32 - Oct 14 by ted_hendrix

Oh dear!

Just used to go to Rangers on a Saturday afternoon and the odd weekday evening game watch us win lose or draw and it never seemed to matter, the following week you done the same goddam thing, saw the same blokes talked the same nonsense at half time.
You could get so close to the loft touchline that you could smell the mud on the pitch, those day's were special but we didn't know it at the time, I know it now.

Why the hell don't you take your bastard money and stuff it where the sun don't shine and leave the rest of us alone to get on with it, clear off to somewhere else and take you're ''product'' and filth money with you.

Bastards.

100%.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Premier League changes on 12:37 - Oct 14 with 1986 viewsdavman

Premier League changes on 11:47 - Oct 14 by Phildo

First couple of quotes I just read on a Liverpool forum:

'Least 9 clubs will vote for it so just need another 5.

This will be the the 1st proposal. The main bit of the the proposal is to get the EFL clubs on their side which has happened. A little changes to this proposal and it will go through.

The PL is nothing without the top 6-9 clubs.'

'They should feel grateful the clubs that bring the money in haven’t already f@cked off to a super league. They didn’t seem too fussed about fairness and competition, or the Championship, when they tried to get promotion and relegation scrapped a few months ago.

It has very quickly come back to bite them on the ars''

...and here's the irony.

For years and years and years, I've wanted the Top 6 and the Big Money to f-off out of our game for a long time. Go and enter your Super League if it's money you're after. Let's see how much your fans love the budget and time needed to follow you home and away. A visit to Spartak Moscow on a Wednesday night, back into work in the morning?

BUT that's not what it's about is it? Its about the additional money and worldwide audience that Man U - PSV Endhoven will apparently bring. Keep it.

The PL would be even less without the other 14 teams, the 72 EFL Clubs and the thousands of clubs in the greatest Pyramid system in World football, not the other way round.

Can we go out yet?

Premier League changes on 12:39 - Oct 14 with 1975 viewsNorthernr

Premier League changes on 12:32 - Oct 14 by davman

If they believe that they are established, they'll buy in to "closed shop" aspect of this. If they're not part of the Top 6 (which they won't be), they'll happily be part of the other 12, especially if they think that they are at the top of that particular food chain. Being in the 12 with a miniscule chance of "competing" will be infinitely better than being in the remaining 74 EFL Clubs, who have no chance.

The arrogance of Palace, West Ham, Newcastle, Leeds, Everton, Wolves and a few others is there to see - they don't believe that they will struggle and why should they pass up the chance of maximising their income and their position?

I actually think that common sense will prevail, but I am less confident than you appear to be...

If you're Palace, Burnley, Newcastle and you currently have an equal say to Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, I have no idea why you'd agree to give that away in return for getting less money.
Premier League changes on 13:50 - Oct 14 with 1862 viewsdaveB

should be noted that this 250 million is not on top of the 25% of tv money, it's basically an advance of it
Premier League changes on 13:54 - Oct 14 with 1848 viewsPinnerPaul

Premier League changes on 09:34 - Oct 14 by Northernr

EFL clubs have financially mismanaged themselves for years, and now the pandemic has hit and they're screwed, in need of an immediate bail out from somewhere fast or we're going to start losing clubs. So of course they're all in favour of this, because it's some money now, and a 25% share of the television revenues for the next few years. They're desperate, so they'll go for it.

For that, they'll be paying for decades. Everywhere you turn in the deal there is smallprint that is damaging to the sport and to the EFL. The Premier League will become harder to get into because they're changing the play-off structure. Two teams will have to lose their EFL status and go into non-league because the Prem only want 18 clubs. The League Cup and its revenues will be lost to the EFL. And this is only the start, there will be more and more things that suit the top six and nobody else coming down the track, and because you've changed the voting rights you'll be able to do nothing about it.

But most of all, this will allow the top six, in fairly short order, to start selling their own TV rights. Big package deals with Sky/BT and whatever will be replaced by clubs selling their rights individually. It's what they've always wanted to do. They know the market is there, it annoys them that Burnley get the same split as Man Utd despite the size of the audiences, and they'll change it as soon as they can. Already, within the deal proposed, it says that while the 3pm blackout is supported, were the rules to change then the extra matches made available would not be part of the broadcast packages, but instead sold direct to the consumer by the clubs.

So you'd basically be taking a short term fix now in return for what will very quickly become a 25% share of nothing at all.

Small correction on the TV rights.

I thought some of the revenue WAS split equally, but a proportion is based on league position and a proportion on live TV appearances, so Man Utd always receive more than Burnley for example.
Login to get fewer ads

Premier League changes on 13:55 - Oct 14 with 1846 viewsdaveB

Top 6 threatening to bugger off and form their own league if it's not accepted which would be marvelous if they do, off you pop to the European league and leave the rest of us to get on with it, you'd have a much more competitive and exciting league imo
Premier League changes on 14:18 - Oct 14 with 1810 viewsEastR

Premier League changes on 13:50 - Oct 14 by daveB

should be noted that this 250 million is not on top of the 25% of tv money, it's basically an advance of it

This is indeed the case and is being overlooked by a number of commentators in their reports.
Whether or not there is unanimity across the EFL in even considering it as an option, it appears there is a sufficient majority desperate enough to pursue it. They seem to want to forget that it’s no good fixing the roof in the short term if the walls are going to collapse.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Premier League changes on 14:31 - Oct 14 with 1793 viewsMick_S

Premier League changes on 13:55 - Oct 14 by daveB

Top 6 threatening to bugger off and form their own league if it's not accepted which would be marvelous if they do, off you pop to the European league and leave the rest of us to get on with it, you'd have a much more competitive and exciting league imo

Where they saying this, dave? I'd like to help. Edit: found it!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54531760
[Post edited 14 Oct 2020 14:39]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Premier League changes on 14:38 - Oct 14 with 1781 viewsNorthernr

Like I say...

Premier League changes on 14:53 - Oct 14 with 1749 viewsBostonR

Premier League changes on 14:38 - Oct 14 by Northernr

Like I say...

Will the top six stick-around and what now for Rick Parry? Surely, Parry has compromised his position with the EFL.
Premier League changes on 15:01 - Oct 14 with 1730 viewstoboboly

Premier League changes on 14:53 - Oct 14 by BostonR

Will the top six stick-around and what now for Rick Parry? Surely, Parry has compromised his position with the EFL.

Parry should be sacked immediately.

Scary that all those Championship owners were happy to jump straight onboard despite it clearly being a poisoned chalice.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Premier League changes on 15:04 - Oct 14 with 1725 viewsNorthernr

Premier League changes on 14:53 - Oct 14 by BostonR

I suspect a few months of posturing, threats, negotiations, and then a watered down version of the same thing returning, either with the voting rights bit removed but far less money coming our way, or the voting rights bit staying in but a set of several concrete rules in place that protect things like the collective Premier League TV bargaining over individual clubs.
Premier League changes on 15:44 - Oct 14 with 1631 viewsdaveB

What should happen is Football League clubs should be able to get loans from the Premier League or FA to get them through the season, that should only be for league 1 and 2 clubs, the Championship ones even our own have been spending money all summer so shouldn't need bailing out
Premier League changes on 16:28 - Oct 14 with 1572 viewsCliff

Premier League changes on 15:44 - Oct 14 by daveB

What should happen is Football League clubs should be able to get loans from the Premier League or FA to get them through the season, that should only be for league 1 and 2 clubs, the Championship ones even our own have been spending money all summer so shouldn't need bailing out

I agree, I said on another thread that as soon as we started signing players, we were effectively saying we believe we have enough money to cope.
Premier League changes on 17:38 - Oct 14 with 1495 viewsjoe90

If the 'top 6' are chasing the money and don't care about the history/heritage/culture of English football - fair enough. Just be honest about it. They should be free to leave and start their European super league or whatever it is they want. What should come with leaving is also leaving behind their legacy and claims to greatness. You can't on the one hand claim to be a successful club and on the other disrespect the competitions and clubs you've participated in and competed against to gain the status/legacy.

Whatever the outcome, the FA, EFL and PL need to up the status of the domestic cups and league. There should be a greater focus on the English competitions and less on Europe. Look at the all the fuss Liverpool made about winning the league, it's madness!

I know this won't happen, football is full of money driven people and generic football 'fans' who don't support local teams and who are happy to pay £70+ for a PSG third kit.

I feel very conflicted about this, I hate football and modern fan culture, but I love QPR.
Premier League changes on 17:57 - Oct 14 with 1455 views2Thomas2Bowles

There were some EFL clubs who were not entirely happy with Parry before this news came out. Now they are solidly behind him. What what what?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54545053
[Post edited 14 Oct 2020 17:58]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Premier League changes on 20:45 - Oct 14 with 1353 viewsdavman

Premier League changes on 14:38 - Oct 14 by Northernr

Like I say...

Fiar 'nuff. Relieved to be honest.

Not sure it will go away though...

Can we go out yet?

Premier League changes on 23:14 - Oct 14 with 1281 viewsdistortR

Dear Mr Parry,

Fck off,
fck off,
and keep fcking off.
Yours etc,
Gus.
Premier League changes on 08:13 - Oct 15 with 1193 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Thankfully, this has been booted out.
It'll probably return, albeit watered down.
What worries we was how many Journos were either blind enough or bought enough to misrepresent the deal.

Lots of work went into the drafting and politicking of this. It'll return.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Premier League changes on 09:05 - Oct 15 with 1150 viewsRangersDave

So sousers and the mancs who colluded with this idea are apparently now opposed to it!

Tide of opinion boys, tide of opinion.
Do football a favour and fcuk off to whatever money grabbing nirvana you want to be in, and do it now. Lets see how many fans travel abroad with you? oh, sorry i forgot, your global brands so dont give a shyte about your own fans, loyal,fans, peeps that follow you week in, week out!

SCUM! That is all, oh and Parry? never darken anyones doorstep again!

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Premier League changes on 09:41 - Oct 15 with 1104 viewsgobbles

Reminds me when we were part of the "gang of six" that wanted a breakaway from the Football League to set up a premier league back in the Thompson era.
Premier League changes on 09:55 - Oct 15 with 1083 viewsRangersDave

Premier League changes on 09:41 - Oct 15 by gobbles

Reminds me when we were part of the "gang of six" that wanted a breakaway from the Football League to set up a premier league back in the Thompson era.

Never thought that was a good idea either.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024