Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Niko 07:41 - Dec 22 with 7619 viewsGloucs_R

Got rinsed on the WLS podcast.

Why did we give him a 4 year contract?
Did we really think a player who had been very average at lower league clubs could step up and replace Manning?
Or do you think MW didn't judge the Wallace situation very well?

Hard to tell what he's like on TV as I can't see his off the ball movement, those who have seen him.... Is there any hope? Were the panel being harsh on him?
[Post edited 22 Dec 2020 7:49]

Poll: Are we staying up?

Niko on 21:43 - Dec 22 with 1602 viewslarsricchi

Niko on 14:25 - Dec 22 by joe90

I thought that was unnecessarily harsh on Niko. There was no original or thoughtful insight on our current situation. Possibly the worst 30mins of QPR related chat I've heard in a long time.

I made it 13 minutes 36 before closing – I'm sure the last 17 minutes were just as fascinating.

I hope for growth from Niko, both physically and mentally. I'm rooting for him.
Niko on 22:07 - Dec 22 with 1535 viewsderbyhoop

I've always seen Niko as Bidwell mk 11.
Rarely gives an outstanding performance, but rarely gives a bad one either. Regular 5 or 6 out of 10.
Kakay is similar but he does like a tackle.
Both can improve (see Clive's 50/100 game analysis) but will they ever be more than lower half Championship players. Jury's out.

But, when all is said, can we afford anything that much better?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Niko on 22:29 - Dec 22 with 1494 viewsMyke

Niko on 22:07 - Dec 22 by derbyhoop

I've always seen Niko as Bidwell mk 11.
Rarely gives an outstanding performance, but rarely gives a bad one either. Regular 5 or 6 out of 10.
Kakay is similar but he does like a tackle.
Both can improve (see Clive's 50/100 game analysis) but will they ever be more than lower half Championship players. Jury's out.

But, when all is said, can we afford anything that much better?

Agree with this. I honestly don't see either of them becoming anything amazing, but they suit our needs for now and Clive's points on games played is valid, Trouble is, with that model, we will at best only see incremental improvements this season and with our precarious position and general negativity surrounding all things QPR, will they get the time to gradually improve?
Niko on 09:02 - Dec 23 with 1370 viewsQPROslo

What's the problem with Nico? He's already a better defender than Manning, though of course he doesn't cross as well yet. But for me he looks to be gradually improving game by game almost, and he looks more and more self assured. Looking stronger, more determined in the tackle, reading the game better with some good interceptions, playing some decent balls in, he's possibly the only one in the team able to seek and find wherever it is Dykes is hiding around their box. He even had a shot Saturday that was better than BOS produced all game.
Niko on 09:22 - Dec 23 with 1336 viewsstevec

Just thinking back to 2000/01, we had 4 players carrying a very poor side and it didn’t end well.

If history repeats itself I wouldn’t lay your hopes on the remnants of this present squad getting us back any time soon.

Gallen and others on the podcast have every right to call out where it’s going wrong.
Niko on 12:43 - Dec 23 with 1244 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Niko's a strange one for me. I think there's a decent enough player in there; international recognition is testament to that. However, he's been at QPR 6 years and failed to make any real impact. He's a bit timid for my liking but I hold out hope that experience will bolster his confidence.

As for awarding him a 4-year-contract I must admit that when it was announced it left me somewhat perplexed. However, context is key. If it's a 4-year-contract on big money then fans are right to call it out. However if it's tuppence-ha'penny a week, then I can see the sense in it.

In any event, Niko is by no means our worst performer and doesn't deserve to be singled out just because the club has seen fit to award him a lengthy contract. However he needs to learn fast as the arena will be far less forgiving when fans return.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2020 12:52]
Niko on 13:30 - Dec 23 with 1202 viewsNorthernr

Niko on 12:43 - Dec 23 by Benny_the_Ball

Niko's a strange one for me. I think there's a decent enough player in there; international recognition is testament to that. However, he's been at QPR 6 years and failed to make any real impact. He's a bit timid for my liking but I hold out hope that experience will bolster his confidence.

As for awarding him a 4-year-contract I must admit that when it was announced it left me somewhat perplexed. However, context is key. If it's a 4-year-contract on big money then fans are right to call it out. However if it's tuppence-ha'penny a week, then I can see the sense in it.

In any event, Niko is by no means our worst performer and doesn't deserve to be singled out just because the club has seen fit to award him a lengthy contract. However he needs to learn fast as the arena will be far less forgiving when fans return.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2020 12:52]

I think on the contracts it's pretty obvious they've been spooked, if that is the word, by the manning and BOS situations and have now massively over compensated the other way. Apart from Dieng, I think the deals handed out over the summer were OTT.
Niko on 13:41 - Dec 23 with 1183 viewsT_Block

Clive I think you are spot on here.Problem is can we wait.For me surviving relegation and them playing would be a success.
Login to get fewer ads

Niko on 12:35 - Dec 24 with 1055 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Niko on 13:30 - Dec 23 by Northernr

I think on the contracts it's pretty obvious they've been spooked, if that is the word, by the manning and BOS situations and have now massively over compensated the other way. Apart from Dieng, I think the deals handed out over the summer were OTT.

Could be but the question remains as to whether they were spooked into giving him a long contract on modest wages or one on significant pay. If it's the former then there is some justification as there is potential for growth and worse case scenario he develops into a reasonable squad player or we sell him on in 2 years time for a fee. If it's the latter, then , yes, it was OTT.
Niko on 12:38 - Dec 24 with 1051 viewsNorthernr

Niko on 12:35 - Dec 24 by Benny_the_Ball

Could be but the question remains as to whether they were spooked into giving him a long contract on modest wages or one on significant pay. If it's the former then there is some justification as there is potential for growth and worse case scenario he develops into a reasonable squad player or we sell him on in 2 years time for a fee. If it's the latter, then , yes, it was OTT.

They're not on a lot TBF.
Niko on 12:48 - Dec 24 with 1016 viewsMedwayR

I think I'm right in saying that Smyth's contract expires at the end of the season, I presume we're not giving him a new one which seems a waste of a player, I'm sure he'd have been more useful than a half-arsed BOS this season!!

Poll: Who’s better?

Niko on 13:12 - Dec 24 with 979 viewsBrianWilson

Having played already with Kilmarnock, I think a loan with a lge 1 team would be a good test for him.

Think his touch is poor and not sure he is good enough but still time to improve.

Unfortunately we only have the injury prone Wallace as back up so not really possible to send him on loan unless Barbet moves over.

On a different note, Is Geoff Cameron not an option at centre half? I think he played more on the right with Stoke. It gets him out of midfield and might be a better option than Barbet.

I like Masterson but not sure him and Dickie are a dirty enough partnership for the Championship
[Post edited 24 Dec 2020 13:18]

"a diseased bunch of mofos if there ever was one, their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons." - Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

Niko on 16:25 - Dec 25 with 860 viewsLazyFan

Niko on 13:35 - Dec 22 by PinnerPaul

Spot on Brian - amazed that some have written them off already, while with almost the same breath bemoaning the fact that Bettache doesn't get any game time!

I was not sure about Niko being ready, but he has stepped up. Kakey stepped up only recently too.

Sure Niko makes mistakes and is not perfect, but the difference between Wallace and Kane and Niko, is that Niko is younger and he improves. The other two are static and possibly going backwards and old. This means hopefully he gets better.

Furlong2 took time to bed in, my gripe is we did not bring him into the first team much earlier. WBA saw his potential and now they have a Top champ, possibly Prem RB for only £2m.

Warbs replied upon Kane and Wallance too much, Kane was never up to it and Wallace is past it. In fact we are lucky we have those two to come through as we would be in worse trouble.

We need a monster CB to dominate the aerial game (stop goals from the corners for example), we need a creative midfielder in the vein of Freeman. And then we can really see what Dykes can do as he's been given zero service.

BOS will be a loss, but I have not seen outcomes from him as in many goals or assists. He may be up there in our team, but we are a bottom of the champ team.

Dykes I think may thrive on any crosses at the moment they just are not providing them. As when BOS did against the Bees Dykes scored. Need way more of that and all the time and I am not sure any of them are doing that enough in the games I have seen. Too much pass it around and not enough crosses. 80% of goals come from crosses.

zzzzzzzzzz

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024