Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dykes and Bonne 19:16 - Feb 20 with 10827 viewsHastings_Hoops

I do wish that the gob$hites on twitter wouldn’t do that thing where they turn on ‘weak link of the week’... it appears to be Dykes’ turn this week and an absolute outpouring of despair at him being selected today and now pointed justification as “he proved them right”.

It was Kane a month ago. Wallace the other week.

We need to make hay while the sun shines and squeeze every possible benefit of Charlie Austin’s presence in this loan spell. Pair them up and hope that Dykes’ confidence and game grows. Same for Bonne.

As for Bonne - Bircham summed it up perfectly on the pod this week saying he’s more comfortable with players missing chances, than not having chances in the first place.
Dykes and Bonne on 12:17 - Feb 21 with 1592 viewsMyke

Dykes and Bonne on 00:27 - Feb 21 by davman

Again, reading too much into things. No ultimatum or condition there, simply, "this is your chance", which it would be.

Well fair enough, but don't you think he would already know that? Like you, I want both strikers to succeed, but of the two, I feel Bonne has more of a chance of doing so, he seems to have more of the positional instinct of a striker than Dykes has. Although when I think of that video clip of Dykes' goals for Livingston, the majority seem to be simple finishes from a few yards, so not sure why he is not taking up these positions for us.

As long as they learn from errors and not repeat them, then logically they should improve. Just take that simple chance that Bonne missed yesterday. Basically, he was too casual, he thought it was so easy he just had to stroke it into the net. You would hope the next time a similar opportunity arises, he would know to make certain and put his laces right through it, regardless of how near to the goal he was or how easy the chance appears to be.
Dykes and Bonne on 12:42 - Feb 21 with 1544 viewsnix

'On the subject of cross success rate, there's a change in the way defences set up for sure, full back closes down and instead of CB going out to cover in case they go past FB they hold their 6yd box, almost zonally, so they cut out the cross, I'm sure this relates to the low success rate across all teams for crosses.
Obviously hitting the first man isn't excused by this but the target area is smaller if defenders fill the box instead of coming out to close down free players'

That's a v interesting point Brian. We do seem to hit the first defender more often than normal this season, so this could well be the reason it's hard to get through the crowd.
Dykes and Bonne on 12:44 - Feb 21 with 1537 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Dykes and Bonne on 12:42 - Feb 21 by nix

'On the subject of cross success rate, there's a change in the way defences set up for sure, full back closes down and instead of CB going out to cover in case they go past FB they hold their 6yd box, almost zonally, so they cut out the cross, I'm sure this relates to the low success rate across all teams for crosses.
Obviously hitting the first man isn't excused by this but the target area is smaller if defenders fill the box instead of coming out to close down free players'

That's a v interesting point Brian. We do seem to hit the first defender more often than normal this season, so this could well be the reason it's hard to get through the crowd.

That was actually Karl's point, Nix.

Agree - very interesting.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Dykes and Bonne on 12:45 - Feb 21 with 1531 viewsnix

Dykes and Bonne on 12:44 - Feb 21 by BrianMcCarthy

That was actually Karl's point, Nix.

Agree - very interesting.

Sorry Karl, v good point. I'm sure you would have made it eventually Brian 😳
[Post edited 21 Feb 2021 12:45]
Dykes and Bonne on 12:45 - Feb 21 with 1532 viewswortonranger

Good to see an intelligent discussion! An observation. In normal times one of the great things about football is that it gives us the chance to release our emotions in the perfect environment. It generally does us good. For me, the current situation exacerbates the whole thing. I’m sure I’m not the only one at risk of despondency and frustration. Watching Rangers on the box is a substitute we all need and if we can vent our frustrations at the joblessness of our lockdown life at the box or for some online, I think we need it. On the other hand, the current shared joy in our Rangers bubble has been just what we needed. Can’t wait for Wednesday!
Dykes and Bonne on 14:34 - Feb 21 with 1429 viewsderbyhoop

I,m not sure Dykes will ever be a natural goalscorer. But that doesnt devalue his contribution. It's a team game and what was needed was a goalscorer to play alongside him. So that's why Charlie was brought in.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Dykes and Bonne on 14:52 - Feb 21 with 1382 viewsfrancisbowles

Great discussion guys, especially Karl and Nix. FWIW, I think that we need to stick with Dykes for now. As well as not changing a winning side unless we have to, Preston are a big powerful, direct side and we will need our best headers of the ball. See what happens on Wednesday and revaluate as more fatigue will be setting in then. The players will get back early on Thursday morning and will only have about 60 hours before the next match, during which time they must also travel back up the M40.

Careful use of the subs again on Wednesday is vital too. A team to stay in the game as the starting line up and fresh legs and ideas as the game develops. I.e. what we are currently doing.
Dykes and Bonne on 15:18 - Feb 21 with 1354 viewsHastings_Hoops

Would also like to see Kelman get a chance if this season fizzles out to a mid table comfortable finish. No pressure / lots of opportunity to see Charlie & Charlie play a couple of cameos.
Login to get fewer ads

Dykes and Bonne on 15:32 - Feb 21 with 1327 viewsNov77

Dykes and Bonne on 14:34 - Feb 21 by derbyhoop

I,m not sure Dykes will ever be a natural goalscorer. But that doesnt devalue his contribution. It's a team game and what was needed was a goalscorer to play alongside him. So that's why Charlie was brought in.

As much as I’d like to join in the ‘let’s all see who can get the most up arrows’ by saying things which are simply not true on this thread, the reason austin was brought in was because of the abject failure of dykes to even suggest he might be able to score the goals to keep us up.

All yours, esox luscius (aka mr down arrow)

[Post edited 21 Feb 2021 15:38]

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Dykes and Bonne on 15:44 - Feb 21 with 1300 viewsloftus77

Am meant to be working today but still too buzzing about Rangers to concentrate….

On Lyndon Dykes and Macauley Bonne, I think it’s all been said on this thread. To me, from what I’ve seen, they’re both clearly very talented strikers with exciting futures ahead of them in the game.

Unlike me today (…) they’re both displaying a strong solid work effort which can only help them and the club. The issue is, because the Championship is such a slog ( a league of hell) if often masks just what an elite standard of football it is. If you’re a forward, you’re not going to get bucket loads of chances presented to you each week. You’ve got to be constantly sharp, aware and switched-on to get any joy against brutal, highly-organised, extremely-fit and highly-skilful defending week-in and week-out. Our 2 lads will learn (as will ‘our actual' Charlie (Kelman)) and I think they’re with a management team that will enable them to.

On Dykes, is it too much to say that going from the ‘Tony Macaroni Arena’ to QPR is actually like going from QPR to the Nou Camp or the Bernabeu? I’m not sure - it’s a massive step up for him which our British media (partic. the BBC) often blankets. To me, the biggest casualty of the whole Premier League era since 1992 has been elite Scottish Football which has fallen so far behind elite English (ie Global, International) football.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2021 15:45]
Dykes and Bonne on 15:55 - Feb 21 with 1262 viewsridethewave

Dykes and Bonne on 10:37 - Feb 21 by cornwallmike

I rend to support Dayman's opinion. I don't think either Dykes or Bonne are crap. Bonne just needs to develop a striker's instinct and bang his chances away. It will come. But both are suffering from a lack of the right service. Some crosses are coming over, but many are fluffed. The biggest weakness of the team at present is midfield and the service to the strikers - through the middle of the pitch. No balls through the defenders for them to seize on. Dykes positioning is quite good and his commitment great - but give him some through passes to work with. I'm sure I will get screamed at by the mindless few but I believe the problem lies with Chair. He's a skilful little player but he does not serve the team well. He has no assists this season and he never puts the ball through the defence into the box for Dykes and Austin/Bonne to work with. He is always trying to wander over to the left to get the ball and then he always, always drifts across the box and shoots. That's no use to the forwards even if he has got a couple of goals that way. Warburton, after 18 months of fans moaning, has finally organised a pretty good defence in front of a great keeper. Now we need to improve the midfield by playing Willock instead off Chair; Field instead of Ball and Kakay instead of Kane whose worthy efforts are rather limited. The results are astonishingly good considering the team is still in build.

Lack of service? Come off it.
Dykes and Bonne on 16:04 - Feb 21 with 1231 viewsPinnerPaul

Dykes and Bonne on 19:59 - Feb 20 by Myke

Just to play devils advocate. Would the reaction on here to Bonne's sitter be more measured than Twitter, if Bournemouth had equalised at the death? BOS took a fair hammering for his miss v Norwich (cost us two points), no mention of the fact that he earned us one (and possibly kept Warburton in a job) by winning and converting the penalty equaliser

Its football Myke - they missed two 'easy' chances as well - at least they look 'easy' sat in front of a screen!

Bonne's 1st one I think he scores, if keeper doesn't get a touch, 2nd one is similar to Long's - should score bit good GKing at the same time and 3rd one he stumbles, so does well to get the shot past the keeper, what their centre forward is doing there at 2-1 down I'll never know!
Dykes and Bonne on 16:06 - Feb 21 with 1228 viewsPinnerPaul

Dykes and Bonne on 20:38 - Feb 20 by johncharles

It’s s o much like the treatment Zamora got and the very people who monotonously and mercilessly slag him of were hailing him as hero after Wembley. It p1ssed me off then and it’s p1ssing me off now.

Yep and he had a big hand in both goals in the semi as well.
Dykes and Bonne on 16:10 - Feb 21 with 1214 viewskarl

Dykes and Bonne on 15:32 - Feb 21 by Nov77

As much as I’d like to join in the ‘let’s all see who can get the most up arrows’ by saying things which are simply not true on this thread, the reason austin was brought in was because of the abject failure of dykes to even suggest he might be able to score the goals to keep us up.

All yours, esox luscius (aka mr down arrow)

[Post edited 21 Feb 2021 15:38]

You've just agreed with Derby though, all you added was that Dykes is an abject failure?
I don't see anyone on this thread holding up Dykes as the goalscorer some might have thought he would be when he was signed, there have been plenty offering suggestions he does other things for the team, totally different defence of him.
Dykes and Bonne on 16:42 - Feb 21 with 1167 viewsNov77

Dykes and Bonne on 16:10 - Feb 21 by karl

You've just agreed with Derby though, all you added was that Dykes is an abject failure?
I don't see anyone on this thread holding up Dykes as the goalscorer some might have thought he would be when he was signed, there have been plenty offering suggestions he does other things for the team, totally different defence of him.

He said, “ what was needed was a goalscorer to play alongside him. So that's why Charlie was brought in.”

No it wasn’t, Charlie was brought in because dykes wasn’t scoring, or even looking like scoring. Dykes is effectively playing in the team now instead of a goalscorer, even though we bought him believing he was one.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Dykes and Bonne on 16:43 - Feb 21 with 1166 viewsloneranger1

Dykes and Bonne on 12:45 - Feb 21 by wortonranger

Good to see an intelligent discussion! An observation. In normal times one of the great things about football is that it gives us the chance to release our emotions in the perfect environment. It generally does us good. For me, the current situation exacerbates the whole thing. I’m sure I’m not the only one at risk of despondency and frustration. Watching Rangers on the box is a substitute we all need and if we can vent our frustrations at the joblessness of our lockdown life at the box or for some online, I think we need it. On the other hand, the current shared joy in our Rangers bubble has been just what we needed. Can’t wait for Wednesday!

Amen to that... Rubbish times all round but Rangers have been putting a smile on my face more often than not over the last few weeks.
The signings have clearly played a massive part but it's great to see others coming to the fore - notably Dieng and Dickie, of course... But players coming in for a lot of criticism (Cameron, Barbet, Kane, Wallace) have also played an important part. It actually feels like a proper, likeable team of hard working players, keen to learn and developing nicely.
I remember before Christmas someone had a thread about the idea od tying Warbs to a new contract, even when relegation seemed a more likely possibility. Surely that's now being considered?
My personal view on Dykes/Bonne is that both need the support of the Rs fan (and to stay off Twitter) - maybe they'll both come good, maybe 1 or neither will, but still too early to tell. As Brian points out, probably need Dykes to keep playing in this system for the headers he wins, but Bonne will have chances because of the number of games. Along the lines ofwhat Bircham says, at leat Bonne is getting on the right place for these chances - he'll stick another one away soon enough and I'm sure more will follow.
Anyway, very proud of the work the club has been doing recently, and of the team we have at the moment.
You RRRRS!!!
Dykes and Bonne on 16:54 - Feb 21 with 1145 viewskarl

Dykes and Bonne on 16:42 - Feb 21 by Nov77

He said, “ what was needed was a goalscorer to play alongside him. So that's why Charlie was brought in.”

No it wasn’t, Charlie was brought in because dykes wasn’t scoring, or even looking like scoring. Dykes is effectively playing in the team now instead of a goalscorer, even though we bought him believing he was one.

Sorry but I disagree on that, Dykes has never been a 'goalscorer'. He may have been in the side while we never had a player scoring regularly but if he was bought as a goalscoring centre forward then he was scouted poorly.
I doubt even his agent would have touted him as a player to be a teams lead goalscoring striker!
It's language like 'abject failure' that is the reason for this thread imo and you're labelling him that for a role I don't think he was in the team for, I've a feeling he was bought to allow Chair a freer attacking role and see him add goals but that hasn't worked out for whatever reason.
Fwiw I don't think Dykes has been playing as well as he is capable and want more from him but I do think he's been a decent addition
Dykes and Bonne on 16:54 - Feb 21 with 1151 viewsridethewave

Dykes and Bonne on 16:43 - Feb 21 by loneranger1

Amen to that... Rubbish times all round but Rangers have been putting a smile on my face more often than not over the last few weeks.
The signings have clearly played a massive part but it's great to see others coming to the fore - notably Dieng and Dickie, of course... But players coming in for a lot of criticism (Cameron, Barbet, Kane, Wallace) have also played an important part. It actually feels like a proper, likeable team of hard working players, keen to learn and developing nicely.
I remember before Christmas someone had a thread about the idea od tying Warbs to a new contract, even when relegation seemed a more likely possibility. Surely that's now being considered?
My personal view on Dykes/Bonne is that both need the support of the Rs fan (and to stay off Twitter) - maybe they'll both come good, maybe 1 or neither will, but still too early to tell. As Brian points out, probably need Dykes to keep playing in this system for the headers he wins, but Bonne will have chances because of the number of games. Along the lines ofwhat Bircham says, at leat Bonne is getting on the right place for these chances - he'll stick another one away soon enough and I'm sure more will follow.
Anyway, very proud of the work the club has been doing recently, and of the team we have at the moment.
You RRRRS!!!

Warburton confirmed in an interview recently that his contract does not run out, rather it is rolling so will just carry on.
Dykes and Bonne on 16:58 - Feb 21 with 1135 viewsloneranger1

Dykes and Bonne on 16:54 - Feb 21 by ridethewave

Warburton confirmed in an interview recently that his contract does not run out, rather it is rolling so will just carry on.

Oh I missed that, cheers!
Dykes and Bonne on 17:46 - Feb 21 with 1074 viewsWelsh_Ranger

Dykes hold up play has been likened by some as similar to that of HH, sure he needs to add a few goals to his game but like many i think that the step up from the scottish league to the Championship is getting larger and larger - unless you play for one of the old firm. Plenty of strikers in the past have ventured south only to return with tails between their legs (Rooney, Riordan to name 2) Worst case he has an incredible Euros with the Scots and we pocket the money!

I like what ive seen of Bonne and i think Austin said in one of his interviews that Mac had spoken to him about being short of confidence and snatching at chances compared to when he was at a lower level - i think Austin advised him to go back to basics.

Aslong as they both continue to work hard for the team they will have my support, lets see what our esteemed coaches can do with them.
Dykes and Bonne on 18:12 - Feb 21 with 1029 viewsVancouverHoop

Sorry but I disagree on that, Dykes has never been a 'goalscorer'. He may have been in the side while we never had a player scoring regularly but if he was bought as a goalscoring centre forward then he was scouted poorly.
I doubt even his agent would have touted him as a player to be a teams lead goalscoring striker!

This is an interesting point. If he wasn't brought in as a goalscorer than why did the club spend £2 million for him? What is he actually for? We aren't a club with a lot of speed – in fact player-for-player –
we're probably one of the slowest in the division. On the few occasions I've seen Dykes elsewhere (ie: for Scotland) he's been fed by pacey players playing balls he can run on to in space. Exactly like the one goal in open play he's scored for us, laid on by BOS. Normally we don't create those type of chances. We score from crosses, scrambles/headers close to goal, or shots from midfielders running on to balls being played back to them. It doesn't seem like he flourishes in that type of environment, mainly because he doesn't react quickly enough, nor is he a great header of the ball. It's possible, as you note, he was recruited badly. It happens. I honestly hope I get to eat those words, but right now the signs aren't good.
Dykes and Bonne on 19:02 - Feb 21 with 961 viewskensalriser

I don't think Dykes was £2m. It was reported variously as either undisclosed or 'up to £2m', which means definitely under £2m upfront.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Dykes and Bonne on 19:19 - Feb 21 with 926 viewsNov77

Dykes and Bonne on 16:54 - Feb 21 by karl

It's language like 'abject failure' that is the reason for this thread imo and you're labelling him that for a role I don't think he was in the team for, I've a feeling he was bought to allow Chair a freer attacking role and see him add goals but that hasn't worked out for whatever reason.
Fwiw I don't think Dykes has been playing as well as he is capable and want more from him but I do think he's been a decent addition

Today you say, “Dykes has never been a goalscorer.”

This is what you wrote at the time we bought him in reply to someone suggesting anyone could get a game for Scotland:

“When he's banging them in at the Loft and Hampden you'll regret these words”

Congratulations on the up arrows by the way.

Dykes and Bonne on 19:24 - Feb 21 with 906 viewskarl

Dykes and Bonne on 18:12 - Feb 21 by VancouverHoop

This is an interesting point. If he wasn't brought in as a goalscorer than why did the club spend £2 million for him? What is he actually for? We aren't a club with a lot of speed – in fact player-for-player –
we're probably one of the slowest in the division. On the few occasions I've seen Dykes elsewhere (ie: for Scotland) he's been fed by pacey players playing balls he can run on to in space. Exactly like the one goal in open play he's scored for us, laid on by BOS. Normally we don't create those type of chances. We score from crosses, scrambles/headers close to goal, or shots from midfielders running on to balls being played back to them. It doesn't seem like he flourishes in that type of environment, mainly because he doesn't react quickly enough, nor is he a great header of the ball. It's possible, as you note, he was recruited badly. It happens. I honestly hope I get to eat those words, but right now the signs aren't good.

I think he was bought due to his willingness to work hard, keep the team up the park by hassling the defence and laying off for team mates.
He did his Scotland games after signing for us so they had no bearing on his transfer.
I saw him twice for QoSouth against Hibs and remember Warburton was in that league at the same time, here he was battling for the ball and feeding Stephen Dobbie, very successfully at that level.
At Livingston he played up on his own but, similar to Scotland, I think his role is to get the ball and lay off/hold for the 3 supporting midfielders to arrive and go beyond him.
His aerial ability for Scotland is as a defender of set pieces and disrupting their defenders to try and win loose possession high up the pitch, whenever he is substituted its usually by McBurnie or Patterson (Sheff Wed) who are equally capable defensively.
Would it have been that he was bought to have Chair, Amos and BOS playing the attacking/supporting midfield?
Dykes and Bonne on 19:51 - Feb 21 with 854 viewskarl

Dykes and Bonne on 19:19 - Feb 21 by Nov77

Today you say, “Dykes has never been a goalscorer.”

This is what you wrote at the time we bought him in reply to someone suggesting anyone could get a game for Scotland:

“When he's banging them in at the Loft and Hampden you'll regret these words”

Congratulations on the up arrows by the way.

Bit of point scoring mate?

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/261651/lyndon-dyk
Hopefully that link works. That's the thread about Lyndon joining, I mostly comment on pages 2-5 and page 9.
I'd be interested to see quotes much different to what I'm saying today.
I think the one you've quoted will be tongue in cheek, my use of (edit) ellipsis is usually that, be nice if you showed what I was replying to as I don't see it?

Edit
Found it. Bit of context?
if he's picked that is. Maybe he is well down the pecking order for Oz but any of us could get a game for Scotland.

When he's banging them in at the Loft and Hampden you'll regret these words...
[Post edited 21 Feb 2021 20:14]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024