Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Agents 19:00 - Feb 23 with 2305 viewshantssi

I can’t believe this bloke (well actually I can!), no wonder we hate them!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56168683
Agents on 21:22 - Feb 23 with 2021 viewsWegerles_Stairs

I just don't understand why the likes of Pogba or Haaland need him. If he was hawking round crap players and getting them big contracts, at least it would justify his role. But who the hell doesn't know Haaland is a brilliant player and would want to pay him lots of money to play for them?
Agents on 21:34 - Feb 23 with 1979 views100percent

Agents on 21:22 - Feb 23 by Wegerles_Stairs

I just don't understand why the likes of Pogba or Haaland need him. If he was hawking round crap players and getting them big contracts, at least it would justify his role. But who the hell doesn't know Haaland is a brilliant player and would want to pay him lots of money to play for them?

With modern football, It's no longer possible to look at each player and gauge their success purely by their ability to play football. These days the agents are all about the commercial viability of the 'brand' rather than the player - sponsorship deals, advertising, brand association, marketing image....Longevity, bonuses, break clauses.... I assume that's what makes these powerful agents more attractive.
It always drags up those questions for me about what the value of players like Stanley, Rodney, Mark Lazarus and even Sir Les would be these days.... glad that we saw them without being spoiled by all the negativity of modern consumerism.....
Agents on 08:58 - Feb 24 with 1722 viewsDorse

Agents on 21:34 - Feb 23 by 100percent

With modern football, It's no longer possible to look at each player and gauge their success purely by their ability to play football. These days the agents are all about the commercial viability of the 'brand' rather than the player - sponsorship deals, advertising, brand association, marketing image....Longevity, bonuses, break clauses.... I assume that's what makes these powerful agents more attractive.
It always drags up those questions for me about what the value of players like Stanley, Rodney, Mark Lazarus and even Sir Les would be these days.... glad that we saw them without being spoiled by all the negativity of modern consumerism.....

Which makes you wonder about how strong Armand Traore's 'brand' must have been bearing in mind how little he actually played and how crap he was when he did. His agent must have been a jedi or something.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Agents on 09:30 - Feb 24 with 1655 viewsKonk

Agents on 08:58 - Feb 24 by Dorse

Which makes you wonder about how strong Armand Traore's 'brand' must have been bearing in mind how little he actually played and how crap he was when he did. His agent must have been a jedi or something.

And just when you thought you couldn't love modern football and football agents any more than you already did...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/feb/23/company-founded-by-suspected-bo

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Agents on 11:26 - Feb 24 with 1561 viewsJuzzie

You have to feel sorry for the plight of the modern day top flight footballer.
Clearly their football salary isn't enough to live on so have to top that up with sponsorship deals, advertising, brand association and so on.
Having to juggle multiple jobs is very demanding to keep one's head above water.
Agents on 11:44 - Feb 24 with 1528 viewsrsonist

Can't help but feel Raiola is something of a useful idiot hogging the limelight in his straightforward loadsamoney brashness (buying Al Capone's villa with his Pogba cut was very funny to be fair!) for far more insidious and pernicious actors like Mendes, Zahavi, Joorabchian who have built networks and arrangements that literally compromise the sport.
Agents on 11:50 - Feb 24 with 1509 viewsrsonist

That being said, you could argue agents have been the symbiotic co-authors of the product more so and for longer than many care to admit. The modern Premier League is the creation of Rune Hauge as much as anyone.
Agents on 11:52 - Feb 24 with 1501 viewsTheChef

Finally got round to watching Sunderland Till I Die - like with Josh Maja, he should really have stayed to get them back up and push on his career from there. But of course his agent wants to maximise his 10% so he engineers a move to Bordeaux (natch). Fast forward to now where he's on loan to Fulham, what are the chances that move becomes permanent?

See also: Osayi-Samuel, Bright

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Login to get fewer ads

Agents on 12:55 - Feb 24 with 1413 viewsJuzzie

Agents on 11:52 - Feb 24 by TheChef

Finally got round to watching Sunderland Till I Die - like with Josh Maja, he should really have stayed to get them back up and push on his career from there. But of course his agent wants to maximise his 10% so he engineers a move to Bordeaux (natch). Fast forward to now where he's on loan to Fulham, what are the chances that move becomes permanent?

Anything that comes out of an agents mouth is just pure BS. They blah blah blah on about what's best for their client and the game and the sponsor and this and that when really it's all just self-serving. None of it is needed. They just create things and convince everyone it's needed just so they can get money for themselves.
Agents on 13:19 - Feb 24 with 1376 viewsrsonist

Agents on 11:52 - Feb 24 by TheChef

If there's anything more blinkered than arguing BOS only went to Goatherd Kebab FC for the money it just might be that a 20 year old going from the third division to immediately playing first team in midtable Ligue 1 could only have been the work of a greedy agent.
Agents on 13:57 - Feb 24 with 1328 viewsslmrstid

Possibly controversial view, but I think there is a place for agents in the game at all levels, to at least fight a corner for a player.

I think of how often I come across people in every day life who have no idea of salaries, what their worth could be, taxes, pensions and all sorts when it comes to being employed. Let alone the complexities involved when it comes to high profile players receiving other forms of income - these can be quite complicated areas and I wouldn't blame any footballer for taking professional advice in how those deals are structured.

Whilst agents get lots of stick for players ripping off clubs and I think there is a very valid argument about the appropriateness and ethics of some club/agent relationships - but if players didnt have agents how many ordinary players would be absolutely ripped off by their clubs if they thought they could get away with it?

I'm minded back to the Undr the Cosh episode with Mark Crossley when agents weren't really in the game, or just starting to appear, and Brian Clough made him sign a blank contract that Clough then went away and filled in later on with wage and length that he thought was good for the player (and him/the club no doubt!)

You can listen to that story and chuckle, but actually there probably were hundreds of players being ripped off by their clubs over the years before agents.

Again, their could be valid arguments saying the pendulum has swung too far the other way, but I think "Agents = Bad" is way too simplistic.
Agents on 14:07 - Feb 24 with 1308 viewsderbyhoop

Always reminded of the story where Millwaaallll (facking hell Waaalll!!). Is that copyrighted, Clive?) knew they had to sell Tim Cahill.

Palace were in the #1 slot until the agent turned up and demanded Palace pay the agent's fee. Jordan said no (may not have been that polite!) so Cahill ended up at Everton.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Agents on 14:12 - Feb 24 with 1290 viewsPinnerPaul

My experience of agents was that usually (not always obviously) they were either mates or relatives of their clients with very little relevant - legal, financial or negotiating - skills whatsoever!
Agents on 14:35 - Feb 24 with 1266 viewskensalriser

Players must love agents otherwise they wouldn’t use them.

What bothers me much more is how ftse executives have enjoyed stratospheric pay rises in the last two decades while their companies have created little additional value and employees and shareholders (most of us, in other words) have got crumbs in comparison.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Agents on 14:42 - Feb 24 with 1251 viewsTheChef

Agents on 13:19 - Feb 24 by rsonist

If there's anything more blinkered than arguing BOS only went to Goatherd Kebab FC for the money it just might be that a 20 year old going from the third division to immediately playing first team in midtable Ligue 1 could only have been the work of a greedy agent.

I hope he has a long and successful career in Turkey, whatever it is they're paying him.

My expectation though is he will be back playing football in the UK within the next twelve months.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Agents on 14:43 - Feb 24 with 1247 viewsJuzzie

Agents on 13:57 - Feb 24 by slmrstid

Possibly controversial view, but I think there is a place for agents in the game at all levels, to at least fight a corner for a player.

I think of how often I come across people in every day life who have no idea of salaries, what their worth could be, taxes, pensions and all sorts when it comes to being employed. Let alone the complexities involved when it comes to high profile players receiving other forms of income - these can be quite complicated areas and I wouldn't blame any footballer for taking professional advice in how those deals are structured.

Whilst agents get lots of stick for players ripping off clubs and I think there is a very valid argument about the appropriateness and ethics of some club/agent relationships - but if players didnt have agents how many ordinary players would be absolutely ripped off by their clubs if they thought they could get away with it?

I'm minded back to the Undr the Cosh episode with Mark Crossley when agents weren't really in the game, or just starting to appear, and Brian Clough made him sign a blank contract that Clough then went away and filled in later on with wage and length that he thought was good for the player (and him/the club no doubt!)

You can listen to that story and chuckle, but actually there probably were hundreds of players being ripped off by their clubs over the years before agents.

Again, their could be valid arguments saying the pendulum has swung too far the other way, but I think "Agents = Bad" is way too simplistic.

"Possibly controversial view, but I think there is a place for agents in the game at all levels, to at least fight a corner for a player."

The PFA (Taylor aside for one moment) have often said they can perform this role, not just fighting their corner but performing agent type duties too, for the players but the players choose not to. I can only think that it's because they can get more money (always more more more) through a dedicated agent who probably has absolutely no interest in the game itself.
Agents on 15:20 - Feb 24 with 1220 viewsrsonist

Agents on 14:42 - Feb 24 by TheChef

I hope he has a long and successful career in Turkey, whatever it is they're paying him.

My expectation though is he will be back playing football in the UK within the next twelve months.

Sure, whatever sour grapes make you feel better.
Agents on 15:34 - Feb 24 with 1190 viewsrsonist

Agents on 14:07 - Feb 24 by derbyhoop

Always reminded of the story where Millwaaallll (facking hell Waaalll!!). Is that copyrighted, Clive?) knew they had to sell Tim Cahill.

Palace were in the #1 slot until the agent turned up and demanded Palace pay the agent's fee. Jordan said no (may not have been that polite!) so Cahill ended up at Everton.

Been reams of gossip about Haaland going to City - there's actually a snowball's chance of it happening because Pep and co there absolutely despise Raiola and refuse to work with him.
Agents on 15:37 - Feb 24 with 1184 viewsslmrstid

Agents on 14:43 - Feb 24 by Juzzie

"Possibly controversial view, but I think there is a place for agents in the game at all levels, to at least fight a corner for a player."

The PFA (Taylor aside for one moment) have often said they can perform this role, not just fighting their corner but performing agent type duties too, for the players but the players choose not to. I can only think that it's because they can get more money (always more more more) through a dedicated agent who probably has absolutely no interest in the game itself.

You may be right Juzzie, but there may also be a reason players prefer to use private agents than the PFA. I guess you'd have to ask players why that may be (if you could ever get an answer from them!), it may be because they feel private agents can get them better deals, maybe the PFA have a reputation for being a bit rubbish!

Who knows really.
Agents on 15:40 - Feb 24 with 1177 viewsLazyFan

Agents are sometimes called Pimps as they pimp you out for the most monies and control the flow of it.

Players do benefit greatly from agents who do get them more money as they gauge the market and know which clubs have funds to spend on what type of player. They can also sometimes be useful to managers who need players and are not sure how to get'em.

Hence they can have good relationships with both. And then leverage this to get more clients and managers on-side.

However, players have yet to realise that they should think about sacking their agents and avoiding sign tie in contracts with them and play them at their own game by playing agents off against each other. The reason for that is not only money but that you cannot trust these agents to really do things in your best interest as we know.

This last part players have not yet done. But I suspect it will come. Special Advisors will come, they are already called this in govt. Currently, that's your footballer mates, who know feck all about football. That will change as more horror stories come of them being ripped off as the agents get more and more desperate chasing the big fish.

zzzzzzzzzz

Agents on 17:02 - Feb 24 with 1114 viewsTGRRRSSS

If they were employed more like a Solicitor is (many firms moving this way) that would be a bit different, it's the huge sums they literally cream, off for themselves - like the Pogba to United deal that is so unpalatable.

There's every justification to have people who work on behalf of a player but it's the multi millions, every couple of years that is going on and also the control the players seem to exert.

They always say how football needs them, but they never really explain why.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024