Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Be social out there — Preview 19:38 - Mar 5 with 6063 viewsNorthernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/54433
Be social out there — Preview on 13:45 - Mar 6 with 1570 viewsMickS

Jordan, thank you for that. Good luck Clive. There are some deviant, miserable bastard s out there.
Be social out there — Preview on 14:00 - Mar 6 with 1527 viewsBlackCrowe

Clive - if it starts getting to you just remember that my life is actually a little bit better because of LFW and would certainly be a little less without it.

I know i'm not alone, so that is a gift you have that positively effects other people's lives and hopefully that must be immensely satisfying.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Be social out there — Preview on 14:08 - Mar 6 with 1509 viewsKonk

Be social out there — Preview on 13:45 - Mar 6 by MickS

Jordan, thank you for that. Good luck Clive. There are some deviant, miserable bastard s out there.

That's really interesting, Jordan. Very sad to read.

I remember years ago, reading Tony Cascarino saying that when he was at Gillingham at the start of his career, he was through one-on-one with a keeper, and rather than thinking about where to put the ball, all he was thinking about was how much abuse he would get if he missed. That really stuck with me, and that was before the internet.

If you're a 'normal' person, the idea of people disliking you, never mind hating you, is really upsetting, so to be a young player with people endlessly calling you a useless cu nt on social media must do terrible things to players' mental wellbeing.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Be social out there — Preview on 14:34 - Mar 6 with 1430 viewsPinnerPaul

Truly shocking, even more so for someone like me not on twitter etc.

Obviously I'm no expert, but surely some of what you describe, tips the balance from 'trolling' to a criminal act?
Be social out there — Preview on 14:38 - Mar 6 with 1428 viewsqprd

some really great posts in this thread

i hope the sociopathic d*ck(s) who consistently engage in this kind of behavior, read this thread and really reflect on what they are doing and try to change themselves
Be social out there — Preview on 15:14 - Mar 6 with 1383 viewsNeil_SI

I used to post regularly on these forums or my own blog many years ago, but ultimately I came to the conclusion that however polite or articulate I tried to be, it ultimately wasn't going to be helpful for the club or players if they ever saw or read it.

I reasoned with myself: they know when they've had a bad game or not done well and they don't need me to tell them that or broadcast it in public spaces, do they?

And on that basis, I stopped.

These days I seldom post thoughts or opinions on things like forums or social media, and if I do, I make sure it's a source of encouragement or something worth celebrating as I don't want to add to this problem any more than it already is.

For me, what's fascinating about social media being unregulated is it shows societies true colours and how much work we need to do to instil and educate respectful values and in people and across communities.

Social media has exacerbated a problem that's probably always been there and provided a platform where a light can be shined on it, but it needs some next steps now to help create a safer, healthier environment for all.

It's really sad to see what the world is *really* like, but in some ways, I'm glad I know about the reality of the situation however gutting and sickening it feels.

p.s. I sympathise with anybody having to deal with it too. There have been times where some of those who targeted Clive spilled into those around him as well. I know I have had some words with people about their conduct and behaviour towards me, and while this is on such a miniscule scale in comparison to Clive or footballers, it can easily make you feel paranoid and even incorrectly misjudge and call out people who are just generally trying to build up a rapport and have some light banter. I know I've done that to some who have posted on here, which I am rather embarrassed about, but that's what this kind of thing can do.
Be social out there — Preview on 17:41 - Mar 6 with 1253 viewsOldPedro

Be social out there — Preview on 15:14 - Mar 6 by Neil_SI

I used to post regularly on these forums or my own blog many years ago, but ultimately I came to the conclusion that however polite or articulate I tried to be, it ultimately wasn't going to be helpful for the club or players if they ever saw or read it.

I reasoned with myself: they know when they've had a bad game or not done well and they don't need me to tell them that or broadcast it in public spaces, do they?

And on that basis, I stopped.

These days I seldom post thoughts or opinions on things like forums or social media, and if I do, I make sure it's a source of encouragement or something worth celebrating as I don't want to add to this problem any more than it already is.

For me, what's fascinating about social media being unregulated is it shows societies true colours and how much work we need to do to instil and educate respectful values and in people and across communities.

Social media has exacerbated a problem that's probably always been there and provided a platform where a light can be shined on it, but it needs some next steps now to help create a safer, healthier environment for all.

It's really sad to see what the world is *really* like, but in some ways, I'm glad I know about the reality of the situation however gutting and sickening it feels.

p.s. I sympathise with anybody having to deal with it too. There have been times where some of those who targeted Clive spilled into those around him as well. I know I have had some words with people about their conduct and behaviour towards me, and while this is on such a miniscule scale in comparison to Clive or footballers, it can easily make you feel paranoid and even incorrectly misjudge and call out people who are just generally trying to build up a rapport and have some light banter. I know I've done that to some who have posted on here, which I am rather embarrassed about, but that's what this kind of thing can do.

Always used to enjoy your analysis Neil - it's a pity you don't post more

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Be social out there — Preview on 17:56 - Mar 6 with 1214 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Be social out there — Preview on 17:41 - Mar 6 by OldPedro

Seconded. Also, you're the most decent and positive R's fan imaginable. I can't see how you would offend or harm.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Be social out there — Preview on 18:16 - Mar 6 with 1184 viewsJeff

Be social out there — Preview on 17:56 - Mar 6 by BrianMcCarthy

Seconded. Also, you're the most decent and positive R's fan imaginable. I can't see how you would offend or harm.

Come on Brian, you’ve spent time with Neil in the pub!

Can we not knock it?

Be social out there — Preview on 18:26 - Mar 6 with 1153 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Be social out there — Preview on 18:16 - Mar 6 by Jeff

Come on Brian, you’ve spent time with Neil in the pub!

Ya, but I love him. And love is blind.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Be social out there — Preview on 20:34 - Mar 6 with 1028 views00calben

Be social out there — Preview on 14:00 - Mar 6 by BlackCrowe

Clive - if it starts getting to you just remember that my life is actually a little bit better because of LFW and would certainly be a little less without it.

I know i'm not alone, so that is a gift you have that positively effects other people's lives and hopefully that must be immensely satisfying.

Absolutely second this.

Clive, thanks so much for this website and your fantastic writing.
Be social out there — Preview on 22:29 - Mar 6 with 937 viewsLoftgirl

Be social out there — Preview on 14:00 - Mar 6 by BlackCrowe

This site is the first thing I open every morning, and I refer back to it throughout the day, until I go to bed. Here in Oz, only the Premiership exists, and that only merits a passing comment.
Be social out there — Preview on 00:04 - Mar 7 with 851 viewsJamesB1979

Not being on Twitter, it’s difficult to understand abuse that gets dished out and the impact it can have. From quick search, nearly 200 million users worldwide and over 15 million in UK. So every tweet has potential to be read and responded to by that many people. Given that througout life....school, work, pub (remember that?!)....you always come across a small percentage of people that my late Dad would call “scum”. They are a tiny percentage of people. The problem as I see it is that the tiny percentage is applied to such a large number ie. small percentage of nearly 200 million.....who are “scum”, may decide to tweet you abusive stuff and can seemingly do so with no retribution. The roundabout and poorly made point I’m making is that, and appreciate difficult as not been on receiving end, is try to focus on the significant number of people who don’t tweet abuse. To bring qpr into it, the idiots that troll abuse to some of our players (eg Scowen), are such a small percentage of us. The problem is that their abusive tweets are the ones that people remember . But what is clear is that whatever walk of life you’re from, whether your right wing, left wing, both wings, I still feel most people are decent. Ignore the scum.
Be social out there — Preview on 01:36 - Mar 7 with 812 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Riveting, powerful stuff. You are wrong about one thing however; by sharing your experiences and its effect on you, that prick does not win and never will.
Be social out there — Preview on 09:54 - Mar 7 with 659 viewsfrancisbowles

Add me to that list as well Neil.
Be social out there — Preview on 10:19 - Mar 7 with 642 viewsGloryHunter

Hear hear.
Be social out there — Preview on 10:19 - Mar 7 with 643 viewsPaddyhoops

Some shocking abuse you're getting there Clive.
I have a brother who's a politician in Ireland, he kops some horrendous flak on line and its also includes members of his own family myself included.
He can give it out himself but he posts under his own name unlike the cowards who hide behind a moniker.
Keep up the good work 👏 👍 .
Be social out there — Preview on 11:05 - Mar 7 with 604 viewshantssi

Wow Clive, I knew social media was bad but not that bad!
This is the only “social media” I use and sometimes it gets me down so goodness knows how you (and the players) cope.
Keep up the good work, I always come on here even when I don’t want to when we’ve lost!
Be social out there — Preview on 11:45 - Mar 7 with 562 viewsNoelmc

I'm another one who misses your analysis Neil. Always thought it was fair and not too critical of individuals.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024