Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Masons 20:04 - Mar 29 with 11841 viewsstowmarketrange

I just watched a documentary on Sky about the Freemasons.It just looks like a gang of old people out for a p@ss up,with a few rituals thrown in for good measure.
My father in law was a mason until giving it up because of poor health recently and I’m glad he never asked me to join.What a load of old tosh.
The Masons on 23:37 - Mar 30 with 2023 viewsessextaxiboy

The Masons on 22:40 - Mar 30 by MrSheen

The Knights of St Columba are a Catholic version of the Masons, same ideas of brotherhood and charity. Catholics were not supposed to join the Masons because of the swearing of oaths - though not prohibited by the Masons themselves I believe. The KSC ran the plate collection in Willesden church!

Yes , they are not linked to Freemasonry ,just a society for catholics to join without upsetting the church .
The Masons on 23:49 - Mar 30 with 1998 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The Masons on 23:37 - Mar 30 by essextaxiboy

Yes , they are not linked to Freemasonry ,just a society for catholics to join without upsetting the church .

Genuinely enlightened Essex, cheers.

I don't think it's for me to be honest because it feels a bit exclusionary to my ignorant eyes but I have mates ' in the circle (?)' who absolutely swear by it. Good luck to you and your lodge.
The Masons on 00:44 - Mar 31 with 1961 viewsBoston

Oi Punte fck the masons, pm now, it's time the Freechippys got a word in!

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The Masons on 05:30 - Mar 31 with 1920 viewsessextaxiboy

The Masons on 23:49 - Mar 30 by BazzaInTheLoft

Genuinely enlightened Essex, cheers.

I don't think it's for me to be honest because it feels a bit exclusionary to my ignorant eyes but I have mates ' in the circle (?)' who absolutely swear by it. Good luck to you and your lodge.

Close ...its " on the square " thanks for not taking the p#ss .
The Masons on 07:41 - Mar 31 with 1849 viewsgazza1

The Masons on 18:55 - Mar 30 by queensparker

Gazza - are you a Mason?

Yes QP, i am.
The Masons on 07:44 - Mar 31 with 1846 viewsgazza1

The Masons on 21:31 - Mar 30 by essextaxiboy

Just as an aside to the OP . His father in law would have never asked him to join although I bet he would have been pleased to have proposed him

You have to come to it of your own free will . "to be one ...ask one"

Many years ago that was true but there are many new recruits that are invited into Freemasonary......
The Masons on 07:50 - Mar 31 with 1833 viewsgazza1

The Masons on 22:06 - Mar 30 by stowmarketrange

That’s why he never mentioned it then.And I showed interest in his Masonic doings,so there was no there was no chance of me asking him.

I would suggest that your Opening Post tells you why he did not invite you into Freemasonry........statements like your last sentence when you know absolutely Fook all about Freemasonry.
The Masons on 08:05 - Mar 31 with 1812 viewsgazza1

Like Essex I have meet many, many proper people in Freemasonry.

It is very different from many years ago when only wealthy, well to do men were Freemasons. I have invited very close and trusted friends to join me. Now it is open to everybody providing you meet certain criteria.

Freemasonry gives more to 'charity', not just their own, than any other organisation apart from the lottery. Prior to that we gave more than anybody or anyone. We do look after our Brothers and family as well.

Recently we have purchased an Air Ambulance Helicopter for London and since that Grenfill disaster we have purchased a ladder that will help firefighters to go to high heights to save lives.

Contrary to one post earlier, London Freemasonry is the largest province in the UK, more members.

The HQ is in Great Queen Street, Holborn and the building is well worth a visit and a tour.....it is quite fascinating.
Login to get fewer ads

The Masons on 08:30 - Mar 31 with 1775 viewsMrSheen

These trade-related societies developed to give mutual support to working people before the welfare state. There was even one for people who didn't have a work network to belong to.
https://www.oddfellows.co.uk/about/
One of the unintended consequences of the welfare state is that people look up for help and solutions, rather than across to each other, and devote their energies to capturing political institutions.
The Masons on 08:39 - Mar 31 with 1747 viewsgazza1

The Masons on 20:17 - Mar 30 by GloryHunter

Allegedly Masonic membership is the only way to get to the top in the police force - which is why so few non-whites or women make it. True or false?

False......
The Masons on 08:44 - Mar 31 with 1735 viewsstowmarketrange

The Masons on 07:50 - Mar 31 by gazza1

I would suggest that your Opening Post tells you why he did not invite you into Freemasonry........statements like your last sentence when you know absolutely Fook all about Freemasonry.

Do I need to know all about it to know it’s not for me?

He used to go and do his thing and I was never interested enough to ask him about it.After watching the programme on Monday I’m glad I didn’t get involved,as it isn’t my idea of fun.

I’m not knocking anyone who wants to get involved,but why is it essential to learn rituals and speeches to prove that you’re a better human being?
They do a lot for charity,both inside the masons and out of it.But it all seems too wrapped up in tradition for me.But basically it seems to be a drinking club for men with secrets.
The Masons on 10:20 - Mar 31 with 1653 viewsMrSheen

The Masons on 22:46 - Mar 30 by Boston

https://media.istockphoto.com/photos/london-england-picture-id898748122?k=6&
[Post edited 30 Mar 2021 22:51]

The Masons on 15:01 - Mar 31 with 1588 viewsBoston

Bloke I know over here is a Mason. Editor of the their newspaper, top fellah in my book.

‘ere Essex, do we have to refer to you as ‘your worship’ from now on?

The Masons on 16:10 - Mar 31 with 1554 viewsgazza1

The Masons on 15:01 - Mar 31 by Boston

Bloke I know over here is a Mason. Editor of the their newspaper, top fellah in my book.

‘ere Essex, do we have to refer to you as ‘your worship’ from now on?

No not yet
The Masons on 16:16 - Mar 31 with 1536 viewsgazza1

The Masons on 08:44 - Mar 31 by stowmarketrange

Do I need to know all about it to know it’s not for me?

He used to go and do his thing and I was never interested enough to ask him about it.After watching the programme on Monday I’m glad I didn’t get involved,as it isn’t my idea of fun.

I’m not knocking anyone who wants to get involved,but why is it essential to learn rituals and speeches to prove that you’re a better human being?
They do a lot for charity,both inside the masons and out of it.But it all seems too wrapped up in tradition for me.But basically it seems to be a drinking club for men with secrets.

You need to know a little bit more than you know to make a valued judgement, surely.

I agree it isn't everybody's idea of fun, just like watching Rangers isn't either.

Who says you have to learn rituals to prove that you are a better human being??

It is a lot more than basically a drinking club with secrets, that's for sure.
The Masons on 20:23 - Mar 31 with 1444 viewsqprxtc

One year at Goodison Park, a few mates and I were drinking in that pub next to the main stand at the ground.

Got chatting to an amiable local Toffee and all was ticketty boo. However, as we were all leaving to the game and wishing all adieu, he shook my hand and in doing so gave my palm a little wiggle with his forefinger and then with a wink and a nod he was on his way.

To this day I have no idea if I was being give the mason signal, being chatted up or if he just had a gammy handshake. Maybe all three.

We drew 2-2 and the pigbag song was born. Quite a day.
The Masons on 23:03 - Mar 31 with 1377 viewsCiderwithRsie

Not my idea of fun, but I'm a big fan of The Man Who Would Be King, probably my favourite Sean Connery film (narrowly ahead of Dr No) and in my top 6 Michael Caines (Zulu, The Last Valley, Get Carter, Italian Job, Ipcress File...)
The Masons on 00:43 - Apr 1 with 1328 viewsDannyPaddox

The Masons on 23:03 - Mar 31 by CiderwithRsie

Not my idea of fun, but I'm a big fan of The Man Who Would Be King, probably my favourite Sean Connery film (narrowly ahead of Dr No) and in my top 6 Michael Caines (Zulu, The Last Valley, Get Carter, Italian Job, Ipcress File...)

Wot no Zardoz?

The Masons on 01:12 - Apr 1 with 1311 viewsBoston

The Masons on 00:43 - Apr 1 by DannyPaddox

Wot no Zardoz?

Phwoar!

The Masons on 07:28 - Apr 1 with 1258 viewsdistortR

Wot no Zardoz?

Mr benn goes through that changing room, he's "WTF?"

Creative use of crepe paper and a nappy, mind.
The Masons on 08:22 - Apr 1 with 1229 viewsTheChef

The Masons on 20:17 - Mar 30 by GloryHunter

Allegedly Masonic membership is the only way to get to the top in the police force - which is why so few non-whites or women make it. True or false?

Well they ended up getting rid of the black and white checks on police cars/hats as it was getting a bit too obvious (all masonic temples have black and white checked floors). Blue and yellow is much more fetching these days ;)

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

The Masons on 10:38 - Apr 1 with 1158 viewsBrianMcCarthy

There was a masons' lodge end of our road when we lived in Kenton. Nobody in the neighbourhood had a cat. Just saying.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The Masons on 10:55 - Apr 1 with 1145 viewsCiderwithRsie

Wot no Zardoz?

A horrified scuttle to wikipedia tells me that the opening scene contains the line "The gun is good! The penis is evil!".

"So, Sean, we'll need you to wave a gun around while looking a complete penis. It's either that or waving your penis around and you'll still have to look like a weapon."
The Masons on 11:36 - Apr 1 with 1113 viewsTomS

The Masons on 23:03 - Mar 31 by CiderwithRsie

What, no mention of Escape to Victory????

He had many brilliant and memorable roles. Other than the ones you mentioned, I really enjoyed Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, he was in perfect harmony with Steve Martin.
The Masons on 13:26 - Apr 1 with 1050 viewsDavieQPR

There are different types of Masons. Those at the top of society use it as an 'Old boy's network' and is a lot more serious than the average lodge where it's more like a Social Club.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024