Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How we spent the Eze money 10:51 - Apr 21 with 4412 viewsTonto

If you look at the players we bought in with the Eze money - we did pretty well didnt we.

I have seen various independent threads regarding individual players, so this is an attempt to bring those together I suppose.

Willock: as he gets more experience he is getting better and better after some decent cameos early on

Dykes: started with a bang, became the boo boy (still dont get that) and is now on fire.

Dickie: potential POTS. nuff said.

Bonne: not set the place alight, but has mostly played form the bench and still scored a few goals which have won us points. needs games IMO

Thomas: been unlucky with injuries, but has produced a few decent cameos. Hopefully he is on the same path as Willock and we will see a player next season.

Kelman: needs games - possible loan out, but we knew that hen we got him

Amos: was lookign good before his injury. Fingers crossed.

so 1 player turned into 7 (unless Ive missed someone): 3 staters (4 if you count Amos before his injury), 2 youngsters with potetnial and one where the jury is still out, but hasnt been total crap.

thats a pretty good return. credit to the scouts and management for that. we are a stronger club with some depth and the ship has been turned IMO.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

How we spent the Eze money on 10:55 - Apr 21 with 4390 viewsWestbourneR

Yeah, before Christmas you'd have said we'd bought more duds than successes but it's now looking like almost all our signings to date have been worth the money.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

How we spent the Eze money on 11:05 - Apr 21 with 4319 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I think that most of the Eze money covered us during COVID.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

How we spent the Eze money on 11:10 - Apr 21 with 4294 viewsChrisNW6

How we spent the Eze money on 11:05 - Apr 21 by BrianMcCarthy

I think the Eze money helped keep the club going through COVID as well. Sadly we will probably need to cash in on any decent offers during the summer as well. Really hope we can afford to keep this squad together for at least another season and a crack at reaching the play offs.
How we spent the Eze money on 11:23 - Apr 21 with 4204 viewsParkRoyalR

Bonne, agree need games, and would add needs starts and to play with Adomah, his assist last night was 1st Class and exactly the service Bonne needs before we judge whether or not he can perform consistently at this level.
How we spent the Eze money on 12:17 - Apr 21 with 4067 viewsAshdown_Ranger

How we spent the Eze money on 11:23 - Apr 21 by ParkRoyalR

Bonne, agree need games, and would add needs starts and to play with Adomah, his assist last night was 1st Class and exactly the service Bonne needs before we judge whether or not he can perform consistently at this level.

I have a friend who's a Charlton fan - he was overjoyed when we took Bonne of their hands, and couldn't believe they extracted £2m from us...

Still, Warbs or Sir Les must have seen something in him and I hope he's improving under Austin and a resurgent Dykes. Hope he gets his chance - and takes it when he does.
How we spent the Eze money on 12:19 - Apr 21 with 4058 viewsdaveB

The summer transfer window was widely slaughtered but after a full season it hasn't been too bad. Only really Bonne who hasn't worked out
How we spent the Eze money on 12:32 - Apr 21 with 4001 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Before Christmas I was happy with all of the business bar left back and up front. I liked the promise in Austin and Bonne but the combination weren't coming up with enough goals. And left back, well.....not good.

Since then Wallace has been brilliant and Austin has now hit form.

Of course, we have no idea how much we spent on them all but if the rumours of £4m rising to £8m are true then it's good business all 'round.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

How we spent the Eze money on 12:37 - Apr 21 with 3966 viewsCamberleyR

Bonne got 11 in 33 appearances (26 starts) in a relegated team in his first season at Championship level which isn't that bad at all. I think there is something there and worth persevering with.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Login to get fewer ads

How we spent the Eze money on 12:42 - Apr 21 with 3946 viewsPhilmyRs

I thought at the time, when we were going through our bad patch last year, fans were harsh in the criticism of both the Manager and the recruitment. It was early days and as is the modern way 'if you're not immediately getting 7/8 out of 10 or winning games you're a failure. I thought it was what you would call “an overreaction” and that’s proved to be the case.

Clearly the January business boosted us but it shows what confidence and a bit more quality and experience can do — it brings out the best in everyone around them and shows why they were signed. I think the January business as well as having a major impact on our immediate performances, it showed how good our pre-season business actually was.

Looking ahead to next season if we can sign a striker (love Austin but won’t happen), get Johansen or similar into the side and make Field and the Hull loans permanent, plus at least one attacking wing back, we do look like a strong squad that could challenge for the play-offs.

PS — there have been some players that haven’t reached the heights and may never will — Bonne, Kelman etc. but they’re both decent ages, in Kelman’s case he’s very young so lot’s that can be improved/developed. I wouldn’t right them off just yet either.
How we spent the Eze money on 12:43 - Apr 21 with 3937 viewsnix

How we spent the Eze money on 12:19 - Apr 21 by daveB

The summer transfer window was widely slaughtered but after a full season it hasn't been too bad. Only really Bonne who hasn't worked out

I don't think we can say he hasn't worked out. If you work out his goals per game(based on the number of minutes he's played) it's about one in four. Not great, but not terrible either. He's mainly played when we were going through a terrible patch. I couldn't see him elbowing out CA or Dykes but given a full pre-season and more time with the coaches to work with him on his weaknesses (shooting and straying offside) I think he could come good. He gets in good positions and that's much harder to teach, I should imagine.

Wouldn't it be nice to give someone a bit more than the equivalent of eleven matches, in which he scored three times and got an assists to completely write him off.
How we spent the Eze money on 13:16 - Apr 21 with 3839 viewsrobith

I think Bonne will still come good. He ghets into good positions, he just needs to sharpen up his finishing, which isn't impossible. This isn't like Washington who wasnt often off the play. He's there, he just needs to complete more. Partially coaching, partially more consistent games
How we spent the Eze money on 14:56 - Apr 21 with 3625 viewsMatch82

Would add to this that I dont think we are paying the loan fees for the likes of Austin and SJ without the Eze money.

Plus Field, who I think will be a key player next year if the rumors of us having an agreement in place are true.
How we spent the Eze money on 15:05 - Apr 21 with 3586 viewsrobith

How we spent the Eze money on 14:56 - Apr 21 by Match82

Would add to this that I dont think we are paying the loan fees for the likes of Austin and SJ without the Eze money.

Plus Field, who I think will be a key player next year if the rumors of us having an agreement in place are true.

It's not a rumour. When we signed him the official site said it was with an option to make it permanent
How we spent the Eze money on 16:19 - Apr 21 with 3468 viewsizlingtonhoop

How we spent the Eze money on 11:05 - Apr 21 by BrianMcCarthy

No, that was the money we got from selling Darnell Furlough.
How we spent the Eze money on 16:26 - Apr 21 with 3444 viewsderbyhoop

It's worked out quite well, hasn't it.
Buy low, sell high and re-invest.
It's the Brentford model we are trying to emulate. But when they were in a position to spend heavily last Summer, it hasn't brought any radical improvements this season.

It shows that you have to get the recruitment right and make sure that the ones you do bring in continue to develop.
It will be interesting to see the next one to go for a big fee. Not sure anybody has yet reached the place where we can command 8 digit transfers (10m +). But some are getting close.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

How we spent the Eze money on 16:31 - Apr 21 with 3425 viewsdaveB

How we spent the Eze money on 12:43 - Apr 21 by nix

I don't think we can say he hasn't worked out. If you work out his goals per game(based on the number of minutes he's played) it's about one in four. Not great, but not terrible either. He's mainly played when we were going through a terrible patch. I couldn't see him elbowing out CA or Dykes but given a full pre-season and more time with the coaches to work with him on his weaknesses (shooting and straying offside) I think he could come good. He gets in good positions and that's much harder to teach, I should imagine.

Wouldn't it be nice to give someone a bit more than the equivalent of eleven matches, in which he scored three times and got an assists to completely write him off.

I wasn't suggesting he should be written off just out of all of them he's the only one who hasn't had a decent season and judging by how little he has played his move hasn't really worked out so far. He could still come good of course next season
How we spent the Eze money on 16:57 - Apr 21 with 3363 viewsTrom

Overall this idea of buying players and then making them better is quite radical for QPR. The old model was to spend cash and then watch the player slowly deteriorate.

I'm all for this new model!
How we spent the Eze money on 17:32 - Apr 21 with 3300 viewsdenhamhoop2

How we spent the Eze money on 16:26 - Apr 21 by derbyhoop

It's worked out quite well, hasn't it.
Buy low, sell high and re-invest.
It's the Brentford model we are trying to emulate. But when they were in a position to spend heavily last Summer, it hasn't brought any radical improvements this season.

It shows that you have to get the recruitment right and make sure that the ones you do bring in continue to develop.
It will be interesting to see the next one to go for a big fee. Not sure anybody has yet reached the place where we can command 8 digit transfers (10m +). But some are getting close.

Hmm IF and it's a big IF should Dykes score a few goals at the Euros then I would expect there to be a silly money offer from somewhere cause goals in Major Tournaments turn good players into potential Superstars I call it the James Rodriguez/Karel Poborsky clause
How we spent the Eze money on 19:38 - Apr 21 with 3144 viewsLazyFan

You forgot that new goalie wonderkid Walsh. He cost us I think £500K.
Squad looks much stronger than in recent years, albeit with the loans.

zzzzzzzzzz

How we spent the Eze money on 20:04 - Apr 21 with 3107 viewsnix

How we spent the Eze money on 16:31 - Apr 21 by daveB

I wasn't suggesting he should be written off just out of all of them he's the only one who hasn't had a decent season and judging by how little he has played his move hasn't really worked out so far. He could still come good of course next season

In which case, then I agree. He could well make it next season. He's been a bit unlucky in that it would be hard to drop Dykes/Austin/Willock or Chair to accommodate him.
How we spent the Eze money on 10:40 - Aug 28 with 1769 viewsloftboy

Do you sell kitchens?

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

How we spent the Eze money on 10:52 - Aug 28 with 1723 viewsDejR_vu

Interesting thread to have been resurrected.

For a club run by people who know what they’re doing that would have been a catalyst for something better. That money would have been invested wisely and there would have been a couple more that would have developed and been ready for sale for big money, to fund three if four and so on. The people running this club are/were so incompetent they couldn’t even take advantage of their own good fortune, may as well have flushed it down the toilet. Sums up the DoF and the mess he’s left us in.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024