Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sheffield United 18:21 - May 27 with 3919 viewsterryb

For those of you with better knowledge than myself please. What is the view on The Blades appointing Slavisa Jokanovic as their manager/head coach?

I think Konk was a huge fan of his at Fulham, but is he likely to overcome the hangover of relegation in time for August? He certainly seems a better bet to me than the usual suspects that the media put forward.
Sheffield United on 18:50 - May 27 with 3796 viewsdavman

The three of them coming down are all going to challenge next season; would not be at all surprised to see all three go straight back up. The Premier League finances are coming home to roost.

Hopefully I am wrong, but none of them seem to be in free fall - Sheff U possibly the worst of the three as they have been over-achieving for the last 4-5 years, but I'd still fancy them to finish top three...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Sheffield United on 19:46 - May 27 with 3648 viewsderbyhoop

I'm not sure the 3 relegated sides will be as strong as some think. Of course, parachute payments give them a huge advantage, but it isn't the be all and end all.

Sheffield United may well have gone up 2 seasons ago on the back of it being Chris Wilder's home town club. They were v poor in the PL and Jokanovic will have a job to get rid of that losing mentality/
Fulham, as Konk implied, were over reliant on loanees. Cairney, if fit, is a class act. Mitrovic has proved in the past he can score goals at Championship level, without ever pulling up trees in the PL. Defensively, I'm not convinced.
WBA look the best bet, but not having a current manager will be a major hindrance. Can't see them keeping Pereira. Not sure of the rest of the squad other than 1 of our own at RB.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Sheffield United on 21:46 - May 27 with 3350 viewstonyQPR

Did jojo and joko’s paths cross at Fulham would be very concerned about our chances of signing jojo if the case 😔
Sheffield United on 22:01 - May 27 with 3301 viewsdaveB

I think Sheff Utd will be strong, Fulham will probably be playoffs at least but thinK West Brom might struggle
Sheffield United on 22:01 - May 27 with 3302 viewskarl

Sheffield United on 21:46 - May 27 by tonyQPR

Did jojo and joko’s paths cross at Fulham would be very concerned about our chances of signing jojo if the case 😔

The BBC report had him down as a strong part of 3 central midfielders who were instrumental in getting them promoted. Boooo!
I can't find the page it was on just now.
Sheffield United on 22:13 - May 27 with 3276 viewsMyke

Sheffield United on 19:46 - May 27 by derbyhoop

I'm not sure the 3 relegated sides will be as strong as some think. Of course, parachute payments give them a huge advantage, but it isn't the be all and end all.

Sheffield United may well have gone up 2 seasons ago on the back of it being Chris Wilder's home town club. They were v poor in the PL and Jokanovic will have a job to get rid of that losing mentality/
Fulham, as Konk implied, were over reliant on loanees. Cairney, if fit, is a class act. Mitrovic has proved in the past he can score goals at Championship level, without ever pulling up trees in the PL. Defensively, I'm not convinced.
WBA look the best bet, but not having a current manager will be a major hindrance. Can't see them keeping Pereira. Not sure of the rest of the squad other than 1 of our own at RB.

I am not sure the 'losing mentality' is such an important factor. Can't remember the exact figures. but Norwich lost their last 12 PL games or something like that, but it didn't affect them last season at all. Covid has widened the gap between the Prem and those below it and that will certainly be a factor next season. I would expect all three relegated clubs to be there or thereabouts (certainly all in the top six), just like this year.
Sheffield United on 10:51 - May 28 with 2953 viewsphilc

I saw this morning that West Brom have released 21 players, including Charlie of course, I don’t know if they are first team squad or not, but when you add in loans returning its a very high churn. I always think that a team has a better chance of a straight return if they hold their nerve and resist change if possible.

With new managers at both West Brom and Sheffield Utd it would appear that both teams could under go significant change in both coaching and squad this summer, which in my opinion reduces their chances of a top 2 finish.
Sheffield United on 12:22 - May 28 with 2828 viewsNorthernr

Sheffield United on 18:50 - May 27 by davman

The three of them coming down are all going to challenge next season; would not be at all surprised to see all three go straight back up. The Premier League finances are coming home to roost.

Hopefully I am wrong, but none of them seem to be in free fall - Sheff U possibly the worst of the three as they have been over-achieving for the last 4-5 years, but I'd still fancy them to finish top three...

Be the first time ever if they do. This year was as close as we’ve ever come.
Login to get fewer ads

Sheffield United on 12:33 - May 28 with 2779 viewsdaveB

pretty sure he was a regular under Jokanovic
Sheffield United on 12:40 - May 28 with 2759 viewsNorthernr

V good point. Could test that “wants to stay in London” line.
Sheffield United on 13:07 - May 28 with 2652 viewssprocket

Sheffield United on 12:40 - May 28 by Northernr

V good point. Could test that “wants to stay in London” line.

moving family would be an issue in such a scenario...hopefully. fingers crossed.
Sheffield United on 13:09 - May 28 with 2634 viewsPinnerPaul

Sheffield United on 22:13 - May 27 by Myke

I am not sure the 'losing mentality' is such an important factor. Can't remember the exact figures. but Norwich lost their last 12 PL games or something like that, but it didn't affect them last season at all. Covid has widened the gap between the Prem and those below it and that will certainly be a factor next season. I would expect all three relegated clubs to be there or thereabouts (certainly all in the top six), just like this year.

this year was the first time that has happened in ages though and parachute payments have been around for years.
Sheffield United on 13:52 - May 28 with 2536 viewsMyke

Sheffield United on 13:09 - May 28 by PinnerPaul

this year was the first time that has happened in ages though and parachute payments have been around for years.

That's why I said 'Covid has widened the gap considerably'. Prem clubs depend on attendance revenue much less than those lower down the divisions. Even with crowds (hopefully) back next season, it'll be a least the following season before that gap is narrowed back to what is was pre the first lockdown
Sheffield United on 14:02 - May 28 with 2510 viewsNorthernr

Sheffield United on 13:52 - May 28 by Myke

That's why I said 'Covid has widened the gap considerably'. Prem clubs depend on attendance revenue much less than those lower down the divisions. Even with crowds (hopefully) back next season, it'll be a least the following season before that gap is narrowed back to what is was pre the first lockdown

I'm interested to see how this plays out too. The other factor in their favour this season was they've got much bigger, deeper squads, which was crucial in a seven month season - next season is back to the usual length so that advantage won't be so acute.

There's just as many horror stories as immediate returns, even recently. Look at Stoke and Hudds.
Sheffield United on 14:04 - May 28 with 2502 viewsSimonJames

"I'm not sure the 3 relegated sides will be as strong as some think..."

I'm not sure they need to be. The rest of the championship teams might be so weakened by the financial and psychological effects of covid that it could take more than a season to recover.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Sheffield United on 14:22 - May 28 with 2451 viewsenfieldargh

Bournemouth must really be in the mire.

Not only did they get parachute payments they also creamed in £60M on the sales of King & Aki plus loads of money from Sheff U for ramsdale and offloading Wilson, Daniels plus quite a few more.

Solanke is extremely wanekey and well worth all the money they blew on him. Mepham looks dreadful and Kelly much the same player he was at Bristol but with a 10 millionish price tag.

Only Brooks, Lermer & Danjuma looked quality, the rest you wouldn't want fighting alongside you in the trenches.

Add to that one of the smallest stadium capacities in the champ. Diminishing parachute payments team re-building on the cheap?

Be interesting to see if they do splash the cash they dont have

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Sheffield United on 14:43 - May 28 with 2416 viewsKonk

Johansen, Cairney and McDonald were an amazingly good and complementary midfield under Jokanovic. Scored plenty of goals between them and were brilliant to watch. I’d be surprised if neither Johansen or Cairney weren’t of interest to Joka.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Sheffield United on 16:04 - May 28 with 2330 viewstonyQPR

Sheffield United on 14:43 - May 28 by Konk

Johansen, Cairney and McDonald were an amazingly good and complementary midfield under Jokanovic. Scored plenty of goals between them and were brilliant to watch. I’d be surprised if neither Johansen or Cairney weren’t of interest to Joka.

Guess we’ll find out soon enough how much he loved his time at QPR and living in London, as I’m sure sheff Utd could quite easily offer a lot more in wages I’m thinking 🤨
Sheffield United on 16:17 - May 28 with 2299 viewshantssi

Sheffield United on 16:04 - May 28 by tonyQPR

Guess we’ll find out soon enough how much he loved his time at QPR and living in London, as I’m sure sheff Utd could quite easily offer a lot more in wages I’m thinking 🤨

And a cheaper cost of living!
Sheffield United on 07:44 - May 29 with 1952 viewsrsonist

Sheffield United on 14:43 - May 28 by Konk

Centre mid clearly where they need most work done too. Norwood might be fine for the Cairney role but Johansen would be spot on there unfortunately.

Could see a sharp improvement in fortunes for Freeman now.
Sheffield United on 08:01 - May 29 with 1922 viewsrsonist

Blades need the least work done but I don't think any of the relegated sides are conclusive shoo-ins at this early stage, there's definite potential for a poor summer's recruitment tanking them if they're not careful.

If it's Wilder for West Brom it'll be interesting to see if he tries and repeats his tactical trick or plays to what he's got. They have plenty of solid Champ stoppers that will look like idiots if they're made to do overlaps for instance - could be good times for Furs though.
Sheffield United on 08:05 - May 29 with 1903 viewsrsonist

Sheffield United on 14:04 - May 28 by SimonJames

"I'm not sure the 3 relegated sides will be as strong as some think..."

I'm not sure they need to be. The rest of the championship teams might be so weakened by the financial and psychological effects of covid that it could take more than a season to recover.

Yeah it's not like Watford and Bournemouth were actually strong at all this season. Just enough bodies and residual talent there to stay functional at best.
[Post edited 29 May 2021 8:06]
Sheffield United on 08:35 - May 29 with 1850 viewsTGRRRSSS

Sheffield United on 16:17 - May 28 by hantssi

And a cheaper cost of living!

Hardly an issues on the kind of wages even at that level and living in or around London offers.

Not sure I would choose Sheffield due to cost of living if I were a footballer.
Sheffield United on 08:55 - May 29 with 1800 viewsdistortR

Sheffield United on 16:04 - May 28 by tonyQPR

I'm one of those who would play for QPR for a fifth of what I could earn elsewhere. This would have 2 advantages;
1) get to play for Rangers
2) the wife would leave me when she found out I could be earning so much more
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024