Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread 11:29 - Jun 22 with 7516 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Nervy 1-0 or 2-1 to England for me
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 08:29 - Jun 23 with 1241 viewsCiderwithRsie

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 08:06 - Jun 23 by traininvain

Top of the group without losing or conceding a goal and plenty of competition for places going into a mouthwatering round of 16 tie against France, Germany or Portugal. Yet people are still unhappy. We’re a hard bunch to please!

I'm not unhappy at all, it's good progress. Can't say I'm excited either. Getting this far was minimum needed, and if we go out in QF or SF without threatening to win it, well, we've all been there before haven't we?

Don't get me wrong, Southgate's doing OK with what we've got. But I'm still hoping we're saving our best for later.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 08:30 - Jun 23 with 1235 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I managed 20 mins but was really tired so thought 'Funk this' then went to carry on watching 'Clarkson's farm' which is really entertaining.

I'll pay more attention next game.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 09:13 - Jun 23 with 1141 viewseastside_r

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 08:06 - Jun 23 by traininvain

Top of the group without losing or conceding a goal and plenty of competition for places going into a mouthwatering round of 16 tie against France, Germany or Portugal. Yet people are still unhappy. We’re a hard bunch to please!

This used to be the successful modus operandi of Italy to progress from group stages at major championships and they won a few.

However on what I have seen of the competition, there are 3 / 4 teams better than England at the moment, so we will do well to make the semis.

The next game will be crucial.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 10:13 - Jun 23 with 1073 viewstraininvain

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 09:13 - Jun 23 by eastside_r

This used to be the successful modus operandi of Italy to progress from group stages at major championships and they won a few.

However on what I have seen of the competition, there are 3 / 4 teams better than England at the moment, so we will do well to make the semis.

The next game will be crucial.

Agreed. Major international tournaments are all about moving through the gears at the right time. Portugal drew all three group games in 2016 and went on to win the tournament.

England have come through a potentially tricky group stage unscathed. Massive game next Tuesday whoever England face. Time to move up a gear or two.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 10:21 - Jun 23 with 1046 viewsdaveB

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 21:58 - Jun 22 by CamberleyR

A bit of entertainment might be nice.

Nobody's going to be looking at this England team and thinking thank christ we're not playing them.

France and Portugal have been equally dull so far
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 10:45 - Jun 23 with 994 viewsdaveB

worth adding that despite all the experts calling Southgate a clown and a fraud on twitter he's navigated the group stage with a game to spare twice now, not sure any other England manager has done that since Alf Ramsey

England far from perfect so far but they beat a decent side last night without really breaking sweat
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 11:12 - Jun 23 with 958 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 10:45 - Jun 23 by daveB

worth adding that despite all the experts calling Southgate a clown and a fraud on twitter he's navigated the group stage with a game to spare twice now, not sure any other England manager has done that since Alf Ramsey

England far from perfect so far but they beat a decent side last night without really breaking sweat

Sadly Dave, as with almost every subject in the public domain, people are too entrenched.

If we go out in the R16 it will be ‘Southgate useless, announce Rodgers / Howe / Wilder’.

If we get to Semi, Final, or win it, it will be ‘lucky Southgate’ like a poster ( gazza maybe?) did earlier in the thread.

Then they’ll wait for the inevitable defeat or uninspiring draw before disregarding his 65% win rate and acting like a draw with Slovenia or whoever is the worst result in the world.

It’s better to be right than successful in a lot of people’s minds.

He’s toast I think whatever the outcome of this tournament.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2021 11:20]
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 11:14 - Jun 23 with 947 viewsTheChef

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 10:45 - Jun 23 by daveB

Agreed.

I mean so far so good and it's been quite professional, I know it's all about results at the end of the day. Just a shame that it's a bit dull.

Of course the next game could be drama from start to finish and end in glorious failure, and people will still moan anyway!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Login to get fewer ads

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 11:16 - Jun 23 with 942 viewstraininvain

Food for thought and I wonder if Southgate’s loyalty to Kane might cost him his job.

https://mobile.twitter.com/twofootedpod/status/1407442421017985028?s=24

Harry Kane has played in 13 games at major international tournaments.

He has failed to score in 10 of them.

He has failed to score from open play in 11 of them.

He has failed to score from open play and intentionally in 12 of them.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 11:23 - Jun 23 with 920 viewsdaveB

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 11:16 - Jun 23 by traininvain

Food for thought and I wonder if Southgate’s loyalty to Kane might cost him his job.

Realistically who else is there. Would be a hell of a gamble to drop Kane next week
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 11:26 - Jun 23 with 915 viewsTheChef

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 11:16 - Jun 23 by traininvain

Quite some stats there.

What was his unintentional goal??

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 12:07 - Jun 23 with 851 viewsTW_R

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 11:26 - Jun 23 by TheChef

Quite some stats there.

This one maybe?

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 12:08 - Jun 23 with 848 viewstraininvain

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 11:26 - Jun 23 by TheChef

Quite some stats there.

I’m guessing the one that went in off his ass against Panama at the World Cup.

It’s a difficult one as Kane has a good track record (aside from international tournaments it would seem!) but he’s struggled so far and Calvert Lewin might be a better option based upon fitness and form.

It’s probably too late now but in future I wouldn’t mind a system like Guardiola’s Man City without a recognised striker but attackers like Sterling, Foden, Saka, Sancho etc interchanging with a false 9.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 12:13 - Jun 23 with 838 viewsMaggsinho

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 12:08 - Jun 23 by traininvain

It’s a difficult one as Kane has a good track record (aside from international tournaments it would seem!) but he’s struggled so far and Calvert Lewin might be a better option based upon fitness and form.

It’s probably too late now but in future I wouldn’t mind a system like Guardiola’s Man City without a recognised striker but attackers like Sterling, Foden, Saka, Sancho etc interchanging with a false 9.

He certainly does seem to be struggling for some reason, both last night and against Scotland he was easily outpaced by a defender, not something I’ve noticed with him before.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 12:34 - Jun 23 with 788 viewsdaveB

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 11:12 - Jun 23 by BazzaInTheLoft

Sadly Dave, as with almost every subject in the public domain, people are too entrenched.

If we go out in the R16 it will be ‘Southgate useless, announce Rodgers / Howe / Wilder’.

If we get to Semi, Final, or win it, it will be ‘lucky Southgate’ like a poster ( gazza maybe?) did earlier in the thread.

Then they’ll wait for the inevitable defeat or uninspiring draw before disregarding his 65% win rate and acting like a draw with Slovenia or whoever is the worst result in the world.

It’s better to be right than successful in a lot of people’s minds.

He’s toast I think whatever the outcome of this tournament.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2021 11:20]

I can't see him being sacked. Unless he has an Iceland style catastrophe he should get a go at the World Cup next year
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread (n/t) on 12:36 - Jun 23 with 783 viewsCamberleyR

[Post edited 23 Jun 2021 12:37]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 12:37 - Jun 23 with 777 viewsCamberleyR

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 12:08 - Jun 23 by traininvain

Is Kane Jimmy Greaves and Calvert-Lewin Geoff Hurst?

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 12:41 - Jun 23 with 753 viewsCamberleyR

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 12:13 - Jun 23 by Maggsinho

He certainly does seem to be struggling for some reason, both last night and against Scotland he was easily outpaced by a defender, not something I’ve noticed with him before.

Perhaps as someone suggested elsewhere might he be suffering from something undiagnosed like glandular fever or hepatitis just as a very below par Gary Lineker was discovered to have had in the 1988 Euros.

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 12:42 - Jun 23 with 740 viewsdaveB

think that works at club level but having the time to implement that to a National side would be tricky.

It's interesting how few international teams play with freedom and real attacking swagger as you see at club level. the best sides tend to be very pragmatic. When you look at some of the talent France has for example the way they play is similar to England in having 6 defensive players and relying on the flair players to make something happen rather than be a Man City style team who dominates the ball using movement etc. The all out attack teams who are great to watch rarely win anything even Brazil went pretty dull the last time they won the World Cup
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 12:44 - Jun 23 with 734 viewsSilverfoxqpr

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 10:21 - Jun 23 by daveB

France and Portugal have been equally dull so far

Didn't see the France / Hungary match so can't comment but thought France were excellent against Germany, could quite easily have won that 4-0. They completely dominated the Germans and were very unlucky to have 2 goals disallowed for offside. A performance a long way from being dull.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 12:51 - Jun 23 with 705 viewsBazzeR

In his after match comments Southgate said some of the players have looked tired in all 3 games.

This may well be the case but don’t think the England team have played at a high intensity or any real team press.

If the players are tired why is Southgate not making better use of the 5 sub regulations?

The Germans played at a high tempo recently that blew Portugal away.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 13:53 - Jun 23 with 634 viewsTheChef

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 12:51 - Jun 23 by BazzeR

In his after match comments Southgate said some of the players have looked tired in all 3 games.

This may well be the case but don’t think the England team have played at a high intensity or any real team press.

If the players are tired why is Southgate not making better use of the 5 sub regulations?

The Germans played at a high tempo recently that blew Portugal away.

Ooh bit dangerous using the old tiredness reason.

I mean it may be valid but it's the same for pretty much all the teams at the end of a long, compressed domestic season.

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 13:59 - Jun 23 with 617 viewsPinnerPaul

Small net profit on my two bets - I'm easily pleased!
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 14:03 - Jun 23 with 614 viewsdaveB

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 12:44 - Jun 23 by Silverfoxqpr

Didn't see the France / Hungary match so can't comment but thought France were excellent against Germany, could quite easily have won that 4-0. They completely dominated the Germans and were very unlucky to have 2 goals disallowed for offside. A performance a long way from being dull.

They played well and are an excellent side but didn't think they were very exciting
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Czech Republic 🇨🇿 Match Thread on 14:34 - Jun 23 with 573 viewsPinnerPaul

Interesting refereeing performance.

Not complaining, but did let a lot go, even more than the 'norm' for this 'light touch' refereeing we have seen so far.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024