Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
ellieslie road stand 12:29 - Jun 26 with 8960 viewssouthbrookstreet

There seems to be on certain Qpr websites going on about renaming the Ellieslie road stand "stanley bowles stand" i can remember he constantly put in transfer requests and when he was turned down he would say according to newspaper reports "I will put in another one" that's not loyal in my book yes he was a great player for us but so was Rodney come to think of it I would prefer a loyal player to a skilful player who's more important loyal or skilful.. capt Macca comes to mind or even capt tony ingram with 548 appearances and a total of 50 years service with the Rs and what about the guy who put us on the map and what we are today Jim gregory... I could go on but come to think of it what's wrong with ellieslie road stand name its been there for over a hundred years a bit of history there... but there again that's my opinion..
ellieslie road stand on 16:54 - Jun 26 with 2743 viewsdodge_stoke_r

ellieslie road stand on 16:06 - Jun 26 by 80s_Boy

Ha ha, those loveable 'Ammers!

Won the world cup, don't you know!
ellieslie road stand on 18:41 - Jun 26 with 2664 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I'm too young to have seen some of the names mentioned play but watching the old footage of Mr Bowles, I'd be happy if we did name it for him.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

ellieslie road stand on 19:36 - Jun 26 with 2604 viewslightwaterhoop

We've had the Roy Wegerle staircase so there is a precedent.
ellieslie road stand on 20:10 - Jun 26 with 2563 viewsstowmarketrange

ellieslie road stand on 19:36 - Jun 26 by lightwaterhoop

We've had the Roy Wegerle staircase so there is a precedent.

We can have the Wright Phillips urinals because all he did was take the pee out of us for years.Or the bosingwa sh@thouses,no explanation needed.
ellieslie road stand on 20:20 - Jun 26 with 2544 viewsBrianMcCarthy

ellieslie road stand on 16:14 - Jun 26 by stevec

Could do.

I’d prefer the club held back until there’s a stadium fit for their names.

For now, could rename SAR as the Victor Mobley stand in honour of those of us suffering crumbling knees.

The Mobley quip made me laugh, Steve.

But we have a stadium now with four stands that will be ours for while at least, let's face it. And we could bring the names with us if and when we go. Just like naming the whole stadium after Kiyan Price, there's no reason we can't or shouldn't name our stands in the meantime, I think.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

ellieslie road stand on 20:33 - Jun 26 with 2519 viewsqpr_1968

ellieslie road stand on 20:20 - Jun 26 by BrianMcCarthy

The Mobley quip made me laugh, Steve.

But we have a stadium now with four stands that will be ours for while at least, let's face it. And we could bring the names with us if and when we go. Just like naming the whole stadium after Kiyan Price, there's no reason we can't or shouldn't name our stands in the meantime, I think.

had to put me bins on.

looked like after katy price.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

ellieslie road stand on 21:01 - Jun 26 with 2493 viewsDavieQPR

We've had so many good players and staff over the years you would have to name the seats after them so as no one is forgotten.
ellieslie road stand on 21:21 - Jun 26 with 2452 viewsStanisgod

ellieslie road stand on 20:33 - Jun 26 by qpr_1968

had to put me bins on.

looked like after katy price.

Which stand has the widest entrance? 😁

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Login to get fewer ads

ellieslie road stand on 21:25 - Jun 26 with 2443 viewsqpr_1968

ellieslie road stand on 21:21 - Jun 26 by Stanisgod

Which stand has the widest entrance? 😁

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

ellieslie road stand on 12:34 - Jun 27 with 2284 viewsDorse

Row Z could be named after Mark Hately? And those seats with restricted vision could be named after Luke Goss.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

ellieslie road stand on 14:01 - Jun 27 with 2215 viewsPinnerPaul

This thread illustrates exactly why Lee Hoos was a little irritated when someone said at the last forum that is was "disgraceful that the club hadn't done 'more' for Stan"
ellieslie road stand on 16:01 - Jun 27 with 2147 viewsNorthernr

Yeh it's one that goes around and around and around. This thread basically encapsulates perfectly every discussion I've seen, heard or been party to on this issue for the last ten years.

It starts off with a really simple, nice premise that there should be something to remember Stan as arguably our greatest ever player while he's still with us, sadly in declining health. I don't really see how or why anybody would argue against that.

Lee Hoos' response so far has basically been, 'ok, what did you have in mind?' And then it all crumbles slightly as some people think it should be a statue, some people say rename a stand, or the ground, or have a mural, and some just seem to take absolute affront that Hoos hasn't just gone 'yes, absolutely, we'll do it immediately' and come up with the idea himself. Some of these ideas ignore the confines of the stadium we're in too. Then the conversation always drifts into really unhelpful 'whataboutery'. Dave Thomas, Alan McDonald, Rodney Marsh, Gordon Jago, Alec Stock etc etc etc. If Stan's getting something, why not them? This happened at the most recent fan forum, and you end up basically coming up with a sort of 'hall of legends' concept so nobody gets left out. The Gordan Jago Hall of Mirrors. Then it inevitably descends into hilarious banter - like The Karl Ready Toilets, The Kerry Dixon Memorial Floodlight Pylon and so on. Before you know it, another six months has passed, nothing has been done, no firm idea etc.

There's a group of QPR fans who are very, very passionate about Stan and extremely frustrated at what they see as the club not doing enough, or dragging its heels on it. I can kind of see their point. They could rename the Ellerslie Road Stand The Stan Bowles Stand tomorrow, and would anybody really object? Does it matter that it's Stan and not Macca? As we've seen with The KPF, people will just call it Ellerslie Road still if they want to. I think they should just get on and do that frankly. If we end up changing it, rotating it, naming other stands after other people down the line, so what? Sadly Stan isn't long for this world and it would be a shame if all this bickering and pisballing about meant nothing got done while he was alive to see it.

But then I can see why Hoos gets a bit frustrated too. The campaigning on it can be weirdly aggressive. He was recently presented with a petition demanding a Stan tribute, but not specifying what it should be. How is he supposed to respond to that? Back when they were trying to get a testimonial game off the ground for Stan, Hoos and the club would come back with really quite reasonable questions about opposition, policing, stewarding, charitable status, where the money will go and so on, which is all stuff you have to consider in things like that to make sure the game makes money rather than loses it and the money then gets where it's meant to go and you don't lose a huge chunk of it in tax - but this was taken as them being obstructive. I was briefly added to a Twitter discussion group on the testimonial and there was not only an assumption from some that of course Man City would be the opposition, and of course they'd be up for it, but actually one person suggested maybe it would be better holding the thing at the Etihad to accom all the people that would want to go. Anybody who dares to say "are we being realistic here?" or ask a question like 'well what sort of a tribute do you mean?' or 'how would we cover the costs of running a testimonial matchday?' is immediately seen as obstructive and an enemy of the cause.

I was at a fans forum once where it was put very strongly to the club that they should be covering Stan's end of life care, which again is a very populist thing to say but would pretty obviously then leave the club open to end of life care claims from 1,500+ people who've played for QPR in some capacity or other over the last 100 years and are still alive. Should we fund Michael Meaker's end of life care as well? Francis the club shop manager? Connor in the box office? "Don't be obtuse, Stan was obviously a special case" doesn't stand up to legal challenge. But to point this out is immediately to be set upon as an enemy.

I got stung on this a few years ago covering a fans forum which is why I rarely now say anything about it and was a bit reticent to post this. John from AKUTRs gave the club the rounds of the kitchen over how little they were doing for Stan and I tweeted something along the lines of thinking it was a 'bit harsh' or a 'bit much' given we'd just had the Stan Bowles Day v Rotherham and raised 15k for him or something like that. John's subsequently got it into his head that I'm dead against all these tributes and out to sabotage all his and everybody else's efforts, which of course isn't true. Got an absolute blast from him at a subsequent fans meeting behind closed doors which came as something of a shock.

Anyway, like I say, it feels like they could save themselves a lot of hassle, make a lot of people happy, by renaming the Ellerslie in Stan's name. It's been called the bloody Alfred McAlpine Homes Stand in the past so it's not a bloody sacred thing is it? Just do it, get this whole messy argument over with and move on.

This post has been edited by an administrator
ellieslie road stand on 16:09 - Jun 27 with 2135 viewsPinnerPaul

ellieslie road stand on 16:01 - Jun 27 by Northernr

Yeh it's one that goes around and around and around. This thread basically encapsulates perfectly every discussion I've seen, heard or been party to on this issue for the last ten years.

It starts off with a really simple, nice premise that there should be something to remember Stan as arguably our greatest ever player while he's still with us, sadly in declining health. I don't really see how or why anybody would argue against that.

Lee Hoos' response so far has basically been, 'ok, what did you have in mind?' And then it all crumbles slightly as some people think it should be a statue, some people say rename a stand, or the ground, or have a mural, and some just seem to take absolute affront that Hoos hasn't just gone 'yes, absolutely, we'll do it immediately' and come up with the idea himself. Some of these ideas ignore the confines of the stadium we're in too. Then the conversation always drifts into really unhelpful 'whataboutery'. Dave Thomas, Alan McDonald, Rodney Marsh, Gordon Jago, Alec Stock etc etc etc. If Stan's getting something, why not them? This happened at the most recent fan forum, and you end up basically coming up with a sort of 'hall of legends' concept so nobody gets left out. The Gordan Jago Hall of Mirrors. Then it inevitably descends into hilarious banter - like The Karl Ready Toilets, The Kerry Dixon Memorial Floodlight Pylon and so on. Before you know it, another six months has passed, nothing has been done, no firm idea etc.

There's a group of QPR fans who are very, very passionate about Stan and extremely frustrated at what they see as the club not doing enough, or dragging its heels on it. I can kind of see their point. They could rename the Ellerslie Road Stand The Stan Bowles Stand tomorrow, and would anybody really object? Does it matter that it's Stan and not Macca? As we've seen with The KPF, people will just call it Ellerslie Road still if they want to. I think they should just get on and do that frankly. If we end up changing it, rotating it, naming other stands after other people down the line, so what? Sadly Stan isn't long for this world and it would be a shame if all this bickering and pisballing about meant nothing got done while he was alive to see it.

But then I can see why Hoos gets a bit frustrated too. The campaigning on it can be weirdly aggressive. He was recently presented with a petition demanding a Stan tribute, but not specifying what it should be. How is he supposed to respond to that? Back when they were trying to get a testimonial game off the ground for Stan, Hoos and the club would come back with really quite reasonable questions about opposition, policing, stewarding, charitable status, where the money will go and so on, which is all stuff you have to consider in things like that to make sure the game makes money rather than loses it and the money then gets where it's meant to go and you don't lose a huge chunk of it in tax - but this was taken as them being obstructive. I was briefly added to a Twitter discussion group on the testimonial and there was not only an assumption from some that of course Man City would be the opposition, and of course they'd be up for it, but actually one person suggested maybe it would be better holding the thing at the Etihad to accom all the people that would want to go. Anybody who dares to say "are we being realistic here?" or ask a question like 'well what sort of a tribute do you mean?' or 'how would we cover the costs of running a testimonial matchday?' is immediately seen as obstructive and an enemy of the cause.

I was at a fans forum once where it was put very strongly to the club that they should be covering Stan's end of life care, which again is a very populist thing to say but would pretty obviously then leave the club open to end of life care claims from 1,500+ people who've played for QPR in some capacity or other over the last 100 years and are still alive. Should we fund Michael Meaker's end of life care as well? Francis the club shop manager? Connor in the box office? "Don't be obtuse, Stan was obviously a special case" doesn't stand up to legal challenge. But to point this out is immediately to be set upon as an enemy.

I got stung on this a few years ago covering a fans forum which is why I rarely now say anything about it and was a bit reticent to post this. John from AKUTRs gave the club the rounds of the kitchen over how little they were doing for Stan and I tweeted something along the lines of thinking it was a 'bit harsh' or a 'bit much' given we'd just had the Stan Bowles Day v Rotherham and raised 15k for him or something like that. John's subsequently got it into his head that I'm dead against all these tributes and out to sabotage all his and everybody else's efforts, which of course isn't true. Got an absolute blast from him at a subsequent fans meeting behind closed doors which came as something of a shock.

Anyway, like I say, it feels like they could save themselves a lot of hassle, make a lot of people happy, by renaming the Ellerslie in Stan's name. It's been called the bloody Alfred McAlpine Homes Stand in the past so it's not a bloody sacred thing is it? Just do it, get this whole messy argument over with and move on.

Very well put, hard to argue with any of that, but as you say people will........
ellieslie road stand on 16:49 - Jun 27 with 2109 views80s_Boy

ellieslie road stand on 16:01 - Jun 27 by Northernr

Great post.
ellieslie road stand on 17:43 - Jun 27 with 2064 viewsLongsufferingR

When did Alfred McAlpine play for us?
ellieslie road stand on 19:04 - Jun 27 with 1988 viewsted_hendrix

Stan's Favourite Stand.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

ellieslie road stand on 20:23 - Jun 27 with 1935 viewsBoston

They could name it after me, I'd still call it 'the Ellerslie'.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

ellieslie road stand on 21:19 - Jun 27 with 1881 viewsNortholt_Rs

ellieslie road stand on 14:02 - Jun 26 by LongsufferingR

Mark Hughes could have his name on blocks C, N, U and T

Gets my vote.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

ellieslie road stand on 21:46 - Jun 27 with 1851 viewsEsox_Lucius

Rename the playground in the Jack Tizard School to the Dominic Iorfa Landing Spot?

The grass is always greener.

ellieslie road stand on 21:55 - Jun 27 with 1842 viewsCiderwithRsie

OK, I get why some people don't like the idea of naming a stand after Stan specifically or anyone at all. Fair enough, I'm not that fussed myself.

But here's a different take on why it might be a good idea.

Much as we love our club, we are generally looked down on by a media obsessed with "big clubs" and the supporters of same. Our history is ignored. We don't have a stack of League titles or FA Cups, let alone European trophies, to our name, not even ones from the dim distant past like Burnley or Blackpool have.

So effing what, you can say, and rightly, but there's something to be said for publicity and Stan Bowles is still a "name". He still stands for the sort of flawed swashbuckling genius that characterises QPR. A stand called Ellerslie Road stand just tells you what the name of the next street is, but the Stan Bowles Stand tells you that we are a club that is the home to maverick geniuses and have a proud history.
ellieslie road stand on 09:09 - Jun 28 with 1758 viewsslmrstid

I'm a bit old school but whilst we remain at Loftus Road I much prefer the fact our stands are all named after the areas immediately outside of them. Keeps that connection to where the place is.

Maybe one day if we ever move to a new stadium, where the alternatives are horrific corporate names ("Pimlico Plumbers Stand" or something perhaps...) or the horrendously unimaginative North/East/West/South stands...
ellieslie road stand on 16:04 - Jun 28 with 1658 viewsMick_S

ellieslie road stand on 16:54 - Jun 26 by dodge_stoke_r

Won the world cup, don't you know!

I thought that was Brentford.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

ellieslie road stand on 16:12 - Jun 28 with 1639 viewsBoston

ellieslie road stand on 16:04 - Jun 28 by Mick_S

I thought that was Brentford.

Hounslow Challenge Trophy.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

ellieslie road stand on 15:03 - Jun 29 with 1502 viewsNorthernr

ellieslie road stand on 19:30 - Jun 29 with 1388 viewsloftboy

ellieslie road stand on 15:03 - Jun 29 by Northernr

Just filled it out.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising