Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Content with your place in the world 23:06 - Jul 9 with 6199 viewsqprxtc

When I was asked as a kid what I wanted to be, I always said “to be happy”. Little did o know what that meant or how hard and unobtainable it could be.

As I got older and wis(d)er, I still felt being “happy” was the ultimate and achievable goal. Simple, nothing much to ask for.

Turns out, it’s the worst thing to try and achieve. No one is ever “happy” for any given time. You can be “happy” for twenty minutes. Or twenty hours. Life will always pull you back. That maybe a better thing, to make the happiness, euphoric. Or .

Life goes on day after day, we have a responsibility to make it a better thing for those behind us. Those that swim in our wake and swallow our water and think we are the ones who make them drown.

Being “content”. That’s the only way forward.

With a lamp.
Content with your place in the world on 23:13 - Jul 9 with 3629 viewsBoston

Could you stop pissing in the pool please.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Content with your place in the world on 23:24 - Jul 9 with 3611 viewsdistortR

trouble is, we're continually bombarded with advertising telling us that we need ever more to be complete.
Telly, computer, shop windows, bus stops, everywhere.
Advertising shits in your head.
Make them stop

[Post edited 11 Jul 2021 0:12]
Content with your place in the world on 01:51 - Jul 10 with 3530 viewsBoston

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Content with your place in the world on 08:05 - Jul 10 with 3416 views80s_Boy

When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse.

Out of the corner of my eye.

I turned to look, but it was gone.

I can not put my finger on it now, the child has grown, the dream has gone.

But I have become comfortably numb.
Content with your place in the world on 08:48 - Jul 10 with 3362 viewsessextaxiboy

My Dad mastered contentment ,

Born in a workhouse , sleeping on a pile of coats , alcoholic mother , finished up owning his own own home, happy marriage , and 3 boys and grandchildren , he had Rangers, his golf and the garden .he thought he had cracked it ,, he didnt want or need anything else .
Content with your place in the world on 08:54 - Jul 10 with 3352 viewsderbyhoop

Content with your place in the world on 08:05 - Jul 10 by 80s_Boy

When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse.

Out of the corner of my eye.

I turned to look, but it was gone.

I can not put my finger on it now, the child has grown, the dream has gone.

But I have become comfortably numb.

As seen and heard at Live 8.

I want the opening lines for my funeral.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Content with your place in the world on 09:02 - Jul 10 with 3336 viewsstevec

Happiness is the people around you.
Content with your place in the world on 09:05 - Jul 10 with 3335 views80s_Boy

Content with your place in the world on 08:54 - Jul 10 by derbyhoop

As seen and heard at Live 8.

I want the opening lines for my funeral.

Must have been an incredible experience.

I bottled out on buying tickets for £250 apiece as I was struggling for money at the time but still have some regrets about doing so!

Was at The O2 when Gilmour joined Waters on stage for CN (well, standing on top of the Wall) in 2011 which was an incredible moment and was at Wembley Arena in 2002 when Mason joined Waters on stage which was the first time any of the 3 man era Floyd had appeared with him since 1980/81 but to see the classic line up in their last ever gig together?

Not going to lie, that would have topped it all 👍
Login to get fewer ads

Content with your place in the world on 09:37 - Jul 10 with 3297 viewsdistortR

Content with your place in the world on 08:48 - Jul 10 by essextaxiboy

My Dad mastered contentment ,

Born in a workhouse , sleeping on a pile of coats , alcoholic mother , finished up owning his own own home, happy marriage , and 3 boys and grandchildren , he had Rangers, his golf and the garden .he thought he had cracked it ,, he didnt want or need anything else .

got a mate, lives in a cabin in some woods he doesn't own, court case on-going!
No electric, water from the stream, grows his own food, asks for nothing off the government, does odd-jobs now and again to keep going. Always buys his round.
Someone gave him a scratch card recently, he passed it on ' because he's happy how it is and who he is'. He's got it sussed.
Government trying to kick him off the land - no-one knows who owns it, you can't see him, lives as sustainably as possible, the land was used as a dump before he cleared it up over a period of years while living near by.
So, they are closing the family library to save money while spending a bag of our money on lawyers in order to kick him off and then more of our money to re-house him in a soulless box, and then, I really fear, to bury him.
Closing the family library while unveiling a statue of the bee f'king gees that, they tell us 'you can't put a price on'.
Well, you can. £170k.
Not sure if that includes the cost of the adjacent plaque with all the politicians names who were involved in using our money to erect this statue.
Trying to evict Dan all because a wealthy individual nearby complained that the fella's presence would stop him selling one of the nearby houses he had on the market, which has since gone for a seven figure sum.
A millionaire client recently confided in me that she sometimes wished she lived in a 'little council house'. While on their way to their swimming pool/gym complex. I couldn't make this shit up.
But I know money and possessions aren't, despite what the adverts and lifestyle guru's and glossy magazines and..... aren't the answer.
Content with your place in the world on 10:05 - Jul 10 with 3268 viewsessextaxiboy

Content with your place in the world on 09:37 - Jul 10 by distortR

got a mate, lives in a cabin in some woods he doesn't own, court case on-going!
No electric, water from the stream, grows his own food, asks for nothing off the government, does odd-jobs now and again to keep going. Always buys his round.
Someone gave him a scratch card recently, he passed it on ' because he's happy how it is and who he is'. He's got it sussed.
Government trying to kick him off the land - no-one knows who owns it, you can't see him, lives as sustainably as possible, the land was used as a dump before he cleared it up over a period of years while living near by.
So, they are closing the family library to save money while spending a bag of our money on lawyers in order to kick him off and then more of our money to re-house him in a soulless box, and then, I really fear, to bury him.
Closing the family library while unveiling a statue of the bee f'king gees that, they tell us 'you can't put a price on'.
Well, you can. £170k.
Not sure if that includes the cost of the adjacent plaque with all the politicians names who were involved in using our money to erect this statue.
Trying to evict Dan all because a wealthy individual nearby complained that the fella's presence would stop him selling one of the nearby houses he had on the market, which has since gone for a seven figure sum.
A millionaire client recently confided in me that she sometimes wished she lived in a 'little council house'. While on their way to their swimming pool/gym complex. I couldn't make this shit up.
But I know money and possessions aren't, despite what the adverts and lifestyle guru's and glossy magazines and..... aren't the answer.

Its taken me 60 years to discover that.

Chasing bigger and better , putting work before almost everything,I struggle to remember important family things that just passed me by at the time .

I am hoping we get some grandchildren one day so I get another chance .
Content with your place in the world on 10:11 - Jul 10 with 3256 viewsdistortR

Content with your place in the world on 10:05 - Jul 10 by essextaxiboy

Its taken me 60 years to discover that.

Chasing bigger and better , putting work before almost everything,I struggle to remember important family things that just passed me by at the time .

I am hoping we get some grandchildren one day so I get another chance .

I hear you.

Work all the time to keep my head above water at the moment, and I own sweet nothing!
Content with your place in the world on 10:12 - Jul 10 with 3256 viewsR_from_afar

Thought-provoking thread

I try to be kind, help those in need, protect our planet and make people feel good about themselves. As Maya Angelou said, people don't remember what you said, they remember how you made them feel.

Per the Fermi Paradox, this earth and the people and lifeforms on it could be the pinnacle of all space, a million times more advanced than anything else out there. The people of this earth have never all been the same and had the same beliefs and never will, we need to accept that and learn to coexist.

"This Is The Life" by Living Colour

In another life
You might have been a genius
In another life
You might have been a star
In another life
Your face might have been perfect
In another life
You'd drive a better car

In another life
All your jokes are funny
In another life
Your heart is free from fear
In another life
You make a lot of money
In this other life
Everything is clear

In another life
You're always the hero
In another life
You always win the game
In another life
No one ever cheats you
In another life
You never have to change

In another life
Your friends never desert you
In another life
You never have to cry
In another life
No one ever hurts you
In this other life
Your loved-ones never die

But this is the life you have
This is the life you have
This is the life you have
This is the life

In another life
You're always the victim
In another life
You're always the thief
In another life
You are always lonely
In this other life
There is no relief

In your real life
Treat it like it's special
In your real life
Try to be more kind
In your real life
Think of those that love you
In this real life
Try to be less blind

PS: Sorry, that was a bit of a sermon and pretty heavy for a Saturday.

Edit: Fermi was misspelt
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox
[Post edited 10 Jul 2021 12:45]

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Content with your place in the world on 11:40 - Jul 10 with 3174 viewshantssi

Enough for a comfortable retirement, and I don’t mean round the world luxury cruises either!
I’ve been working for 44 years now, own our house with no help from parents, agreed part time working to continue so I can have a bit more time to do what I want when I want.
Like to see more of the UK and being able to go on a whim not booked a year in advance.
Content with your place in the world on 11:46 - Jul 10 with 3160 viewsBklynRanger

Content with your place in the world on 10:11 - Jul 10 by distortR

I hear you.

Work all the time to keep my head above water at the moment, and I own sweet nothing!

Like with a lot of things lock-down hasn't helped...

Speaking for myself I'd say I'm someone who's basically chosen certain life experiences over stability, property ownership etc. The wife is the same and we're both completely fine with that - there are a lot of things we still want to do and flexibility is a major part of that.

But there are trade offs in that - being stuck at home for 16 months in a small but comfortable flat it's been a challenge at times to remember what's important - especially when you're surrounded by really quite affluent neighbours who very have different backgrounds and life experiences.

My point being the key, I think, is to remember what your core principles are, what's important, believe in that and stick to it. Most of the other stuff is anxiety and background noise.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2021 11:47]
Content with your place in the world on 12:01 - Jul 10 with 3125 viewsbosh67

For me this feels almost perfect.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Content with your place in the world on 16:47 - Jul 10 with 2998 viewsloftus77

Interesting thread. Some of the themes remind me of the recent film 'Nomadland' with Frances McDormand. Well worth a viewing.

I think the message is appreciate what is around you, not what isn't.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2021 16:47]
Content with your place in the world on 17:35 - Jul 10 with 2963 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Eight months before my dad was due to retire, he passed. He’d worked hard all his life and he was looking forward to a well deserved break. I’d already started my globetrotting ways by then, but I vowed at his graveside that I would not allow work to dictate my life or deprive me of retirement.

Along the way I met Mrs PH who, like me, has spent an inordinate amount of time traveling, living and working around the world. I chose this life and enjoyed it immensely, but aside of a couple of years in Manchester 99-01, I’ve never felt ‘at home’ since I left Greenford as an 18-year old pup.

A few years back we took a few off months in France, stretched it for a year and returned 18 months later and bought a place. Even then we did a few years in Myanmar and Qatar wading into the challenges posed in working on migrant worker issues. I’ve spent over 25 years doing human rights work all over the plane, and I’ve seen the very best and worst of humanity and if I’m honest, I’m a bit jaded and depressed by the state of the globe.

So with my contract ending, Mrs PH and I had a chat, crunched some numbers and decided to go for it.

Irony being what it is: what may well be my last day of full time employment was the anniversary of when my father was buried. We flew out of Doha the next day and now I feel relaxed and at home. I also feel a promise made to myself has been kept and for the first time in a very long time, I can say I feel content a week into this new life…well just as soon as we get the hot water sorted!!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Content with your place in the world on 17:40 - Jul 10 with 2953 viewsqpr_1968

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Content with your place in the world on 17:41 - Jul 10 with 2953 viewshantssi

Content with your place in the world on 17:35 - Jul 10 by PlanetHonneywood

Eight months before my dad was due to retire, he passed. He’d worked hard all his life and he was looking forward to a well deserved break. I’d already started my globetrotting ways by then, but I vowed at his graveside that I would not allow work to dictate my life or deprive me of retirement.

Along the way I met Mrs PH who, like me, has spent an inordinate amount of time traveling, living and working around the world. I chose this life and enjoyed it immensely, but aside of a couple of years in Manchester 99-01, I’ve never felt ‘at home’ since I left Greenford as an 18-year old pup.

A few years back we took a few off months in France, stretched it for a year and returned 18 months later and bought a place. Even then we did a few years in Myanmar and Qatar wading into the challenges posed in working on migrant worker issues. I’ve spent over 25 years doing human rights work all over the plane, and I’ve seen the very best and worst of humanity and if I’m honest, I’m a bit jaded and depressed by the state of the globe.

So with my contract ending, Mrs PH and I had a chat, crunched some numbers and decided to go for it.

Irony being what it is: what may well be my last day of full time employment was the anniversary of when my father was buried. We flew out of Doha the next day and now I feel relaxed and at home. I also feel a promise made to myself has been kept and for the first time in a very long time, I can say I feel content a week into this new life…well just as soon as we get the hot water sorted!!

Did you say “time travelling” PH?
No wonder you’re content in retirement you’ve seen it all.
What’s it like 25 years from now?
Content with your place in the world on 18:26 - Jul 10 with 2915 viewsessextaxiboy

I wish you both a long healthy retirement with many adventures along the way .
Content with your place in the world on 18:30 - Jul 10 with 2909 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Content with your place in the world on 17:41 - Jul 10 by hantssi

Did you say “time travelling” PH?
No wonder you’re content in retirement you’ve seen it all.
What’s it like 25 years from now?

Well we’re still at LR.

Jury still out 49 year old Shodipo and while I don’t want to give too much away, don’t book any holidays for May 2024!!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Content with your place in the world on 18:32 - Jul 10 with 2903 viewsdistortR

sounds like you've lived a worthy and fulfilled life - well done!
Can I borrow your manual?!
Content with your place in the world on 20:02 - Jul 10 with 2842 viewsAirtomoreira

Content with your place in the world on 21:11 - Jul 10 with 2758 viewsMatch82

Saw a study once that said only about 20% of our happiness is based on what we have/our environment. 30% based on genetic predisposition and the rest is what we decide to make of it all. I quite like that idea, that we are all essentially responsible for our own happiness based on whether we choose to look at the best in a situation or the worst.

So think positive thoughts everyone
Content with your place in the world on 21:48 - Jul 10 with 2733 viewsJuzzie

I’ve pretty much towed the line…. Left school, job, left home, rented different places (alway co-shared), still working, mortgage, still co-sharing, then on my own, then had a family, From my flat I then upscaled twice to where I am now. Always kept it realistic. No high demands or desires. Content? yeah, fairly I guess. Tomorrow night will help a lot more lol.

I know a few people who are all about want, want, want…. more, more, more.
Either can’t get what they want or have it and it’s a struggle to maintain but sill then want more. Always more, always striving for the next impossible. Never happy.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024