Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
North/south circular congestion charge 09:45 - Jul 20 with 9819 viewssouthbrookstreet

The congestion charge zone is expanding from central London to north/south circular roads from 25 October.. what does the Rs football fan who lives outside this area feel about having to pay £15 and not forgetting hammersmith & fulham council according to W12 residences are taking about 7 days/24 hours car parking charging near Loftus road.. there are a lot of Rs supporters who travel by car I don't think they would be to happy digging into their pockets again and again so maybe some will find going to football will be too expensive for the average football fan.. perhaps car sharing is an option but that has its problems.. nice to hear what the genuine football fan has to say
North/south circular congestion charge on 09:59 - Jul 20 with 6508 viewsTonto

You are incorrect. The co gesture charge is NOT being expanded. There will be a ULEZ which will be implemented in October to North and South circular.

If you have a car which is faulty new then there will be NO CHARGE.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

North/south circular congestion charge on 10:03 - Jul 20 with 6494 viewsCliff

You had me very worried there for a minute, as Boris had previously tried to force TFL to expand the congestion charge as you suggested. This is not actually happening, what is coming into force is the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) which charges £12.50 a day for cars with higher emissions. Note this is in addition to the congestion fee if you go into central London.

I have a 13 year old (08 registered) Ford Focus and it is under the emission limit for the ULEZ.

TFL has a tool to check your car via it's registration:

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle/

Good Luck.
North/south circular congestion charge on 10:14 - Jul 20 with 6458 viewsenfieldargh

North/south circular congestion charge on 10:03 - Jul 20 by Cliff

You had me very worried there for a minute, as Boris had previously tried to force TFL to expand the congestion charge as you suggested. This is not actually happening, what is coming into force is the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) which charges £12.50 a day for cars with higher emissions. Note this is in addition to the congestion fee if you go into central London.

I have a 13 year old (08 registered) Ford Focus and it is under the emission limit for the ULEZ.

TFL has a tool to check your car via it's registration:

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle/

Good Luck.

you also need to check the E10 petrol checker

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-e10-petrol

applies to pre 2010 petrol vehicles

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

North/south circular congestion charge on 10:33 - Jul 20 with 6408 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

North/south circular congestion charge on 10:14 - Jul 20 by enfieldargh

I was just about to mention the E10 checker. Not many people seem to know about it, I only heard about it on the radio. Apparently the new petrol will emit less carbon dioxide.

Even if your car doesn’t comply you can continue to use the older (E5) type petrol, it’ll just be catogorised differently and will be more expensive. My car appears to be compatible but it’s fairly vague.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

North/south circular congestion charge on 10:50 - Jul 20 with 6357 viewsHantsR

Well, I've got a 2012 Mondeo Estate of which the purchase was encouraged by its low emission and consequent reduced vehicle licence fee. Don't really want to lose it, it's been a great servant and very comfortable. Seems I'll now have to add £12.50 ULEZ to my KPF visits from 25 October onwards. Pity, without looking at it in any detail, I had presumed/ hoped that evenings and weekends would be ok.

New Eco boost Kuga beckoning ...?

Car parking charge for a place where I've parked since 1970s would really be a bummer.
North/south circular congestion charge on 10:58 - Jul 20 with 6328 viewsactonman

What a complete pain in the rrrs this is going to be ! I usually get the train down now as it’s a lot less hassle and I can have a beer but midweek games and the odd game where I need to be away and home early , this is bllox !
I have a 2011 eco diesel bmw that has been classified economical enough to charge £20 a year road tax but will have to pay £12.50 to drive in and a 2007 petrol vehicle that is not classed as economical and pay £135 road tax that won’t be charged ?
North/south circular congestion charge on 11:16 - Jul 20 with 6284 viewsCliff

North/south circular congestion charge on 10:14 - Jul 20 by enfieldargh

Thanks for that, fortunately :

E10 is cleared for use in all petrol driven Ford models sold in Europe since 1992 excluding:

Ford Mondeo 1.8 SCI from 2003 to 2007.
North/south circular congestion charge on 15:17 - Jul 20 with 6059 viewssouthbrookstreet

North/south circular congestion charge on 09:59 - Jul 20 by Tonto

You are incorrect. The co gesture charge is NOT being expanded. There will be a ULEZ which will be implemented in October to North and South circular.

If you have a car which is faulty new then there will be NO CHARGE.

I hope I am incorrect.. apogee's to anyone its something I noticed on a website
Login to get fewer ads

North/south circular congestion charge on 21:36 - Jul 20 with 5784 viewsGloryHunter

North/south circular congestion charge on 15:17 - Jul 20 by southbrookstreet

I hope I am incorrect.. apogee's to anyone its something I noticed on a website

I live 200m inside the South Circular. Believe me, the ULEZ thing is happening to us on 25th October, but NOT the congestion charge. Don't believe anything you read on the interweb - it's full of nutters.

ULEZ is bad enough - I've had to trade in my 4x4 diesel for a petrol model, which has already added several tonnes of CO2 to my carbon footprint. Green craziness, I'm afraid.
North/south circular congestion charge on 09:46 - Jul 21 with 5491 views1MoreBrightonR

Possibly opening a can of worms here, but what should be done in order to reduce people's reliance of cars, which are a major source of pollution? I'm a car owner myself, but unless people are forced to try other methods of transport, they will continue to use cars. Most research shows that the majority of car journeys in London are short, and could be done by other means. We have a decent cycle lane networks, one of the most comprehensive public transport networks in the world...but lots of people still use their cars instead.

The congestion charge and ULEZ are a pain in the a**, but i'm unsure what else people suggest? And before someone says "but i'm old/disabled etc and cant walk/cycle/get the bus", we have to accept that this isnt true for the vast majority of car drivers/journeys.
North/south circular congestion charge on 10:23 - Jul 21 with 5454 viewsTrellick

This is a proper kick in the teeth. I've a Vauxhall combo van & the reason I bought a diesel was because we were told they were alot greener than petrol models as you'd get 200,000 miles out of the engine before scrapping as opposed to half that with petrol. I have to drive as I'm a tradesman with tools , ladders , materials etc. The parking charges doubled in the new year at a job at the Oval from £32 a day to £64 a day. I don't want to pay that & I don't want the customer to either , but it has to come from somewhere. Getting ridiculous when you add all these charges up! Con Charge , Ulez & Parking
North/south circular congestion charge on 10:24 - Jul 21 with 5453 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

North/south circular congestion charge on 09:46 - Jul 21 by 1MoreBrightonR

Possibly opening a can of worms here, but what should be done in order to reduce people's reliance of cars, which are a major source of pollution? I'm a car owner myself, but unless people are forced to try other methods of transport, they will continue to use cars. Most research shows that the majority of car journeys in London are short, and could be done by other means. We have a decent cycle lane networks, one of the most comprehensive public transport networks in the world...but lots of people still use their cars instead.

The congestion charge and ULEZ are a pain in the a**, but i'm unsure what else people suggest? And before someone says "but i'm old/disabled etc and cant walk/cycle/get the bus", we have to accept that this isnt true for the vast majority of car drivers/journeys.

I guess part of the problem is that it often feels like exploitation above environment. Instead of being made to feel like we’re working together to create a better world, we get ill thought out and confusing rules and fines, with little or no explanation about what they mean and why they’re being implemented.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

North/south circular congestion charge on 11:21 - Jul 21 with 5358 viewsEsox_Lucius

Why do we have to accept that? I would be prepared to believe that they are the primary users of personal transport due to lack of their mobility. Also, congestion charge and ULEZ are addressing two different overlapping issues.

The grass is always greener.

North/south circular congestion charge on 15:20 - Jul 21 with 5275 viewskensalriser

I didn't pass my test until my late 20s and once I had a car I did all kinds of crazy nonsense like driving into central London from Maida Vale for dinner and spending 20 mins looking for a parking space (this was in the 90s). Much later than that I'd drive to games at LR and get stuck in a 15 min traffic jam on the way home even though before I had a car I'd use a bicycle. I hate driving in London now and even though I'm clearly a lot older than I was in the 90s, always use the bike if it's at all possible. Of course, I don't have kids and don't have to drive a vehicle for business so you could say it's easy for me. But that's the task - reducing the volume of gratuitous vehicle use.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

North/south circular congestion charge on 15:23 - Jul 21 with 5268 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Could swallow this if electric or hybrid cars didn't cost the price of a four bedroom semi in Hull.
North/south circular congestion charge on 16:50 - Jul 21 with 5214 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Before you open up the can, you have to accept that use of a car is not a luxury; it's a necessity for most people to survive and the other modes of transport you mention just don't cut the mustard. Try lugging 8 bags of food shopping on a bus or picking up the kids on a bicycle or scooting 20 miles to work in the pouring rain.

The simple truth of the matter is that many policies like ULEZ masquerade under the banner of environmental consciousness but, at heart, are motivated by money and greed.

The answer is not to demonise motorists (many of whom purchased diesel cars on government advice) but to produce affordable cars that do not pollute and to build the infrastructure to support them.

Many on here will still remember their milk being delivered by electric milk float 30-40 years ago. Indeed in August 1967, the UK Electric Vehicle Association put out a press release stating that Britain had more battery-electric vehicles on its roads than the rest of the world combined. Given this legacy it's hard to understand why innovation in this area has been so painfully slow.

P.S. For avoidance of doubt it's the ULEZ zone that is being extended, not the Congestion Charge zone (though I wouldn't be at all surprised if the CC follows in due course).
[Post edited 21 Jul 2021 16:53]
North/south circular congestion charge on 17:10 - Jul 21 with 5203 viewsqpr_1968

North/south circular congestion charge on 16:50 - Jul 21 by Benny_the_Ball

Before you open up the can, you have to accept that use of a car is not a luxury; it's a necessity for most people to survive and the other modes of transport you mention just don't cut the mustard. Try lugging 8 bags of food shopping on a bus or picking up the kids on a bicycle or scooting 20 miles to work in the pouring rain.

The simple truth of the matter is that many policies like ULEZ masquerade under the banner of environmental consciousness but, at heart, are motivated by money and greed.

The answer is not to demonise motorists (many of whom purchased diesel cars on government advice) but to produce affordable cars that do not pollute and to build the infrastructure to support them.

Many on here will still remember their milk being delivered by electric milk float 30-40 years ago. Indeed in August 1967, the UK Electric Vehicle Association put out a press release stating that Britain had more battery-electric vehicles on its roads than the rest of the world combined. Given this legacy it's hard to understand why innovation in this area has been so painfully slow.

P.S. For avoidance of doubt it's the ULEZ zone that is being extended, not the Congestion Charge zone (though I wouldn't be at all surprised if the CC follows in due course).
[Post edited 21 Jul 2021 16:53]

that is a good post benny.
and yes people do need the car for many different reasons.
i do.....
i paid good money for driving lessons
i paid good money to pass my driving test
i paid good money for my car/cars
i pay good money for car insurance/ROAD tax/breakdown/mot/parking permits/fuel
and any other payments that we have to fork out....
us motorists are entitled to drive on the bloody roads, we pay enough.......

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

North/south circular congestion charge on 17:19 - Jul 21 with 5190 viewsbosh67

I parked my car in Primrose Hill the other day and because it is a diesel I got charged an extra 25% on the Ring-Go thing. Irony is that it is very low emissions and I pay almost no road tax. None of what the government or councils do re diesel cars makes any sense.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

North/south circular congestion charge on 19:38 - Jul 21 with 5102 viewsJuzzie

North/south circular congestion charge on 17:19 - Jul 21 by bosh67

I parked my car in Primrose Hill the other day and because it is a diesel I got charged an extra 25% on the Ring-Go thing. Irony is that it is very low emissions and I pay almost no road tax. None of what the government or councils do re diesel cars makes any sense.

I used to live just over the bridge in Chalk Farm and when applying by phone for my on-site parking space I was asked what it’s (Mitsubishi Pajero) emissions were.
“Zero” i said
“Oh, is it electric”?
“No, but when it’s parked up and I’m at home it’s not emitting anything”.

Long silence.
North/south circular congestion charge on 20:40 - Jul 21 with 5050 views1MoreBrightonR

Sorry, don't accept this at all. Stand outside any school at the start of the day and see how many people drop their kids off, and most London school's have a tiny catchment area. I have colleagues who drive from North London to South London to my office because "they don't like the tube". Data shows the majority of journeys in London are very short and yes, people with shopping need a car, but it's a fantasy to think every car journey is essential or mums or people with mobility issues. There are 2.4 million cars registered in London, which mean 40 of households own them.

And to add some balance, I do think work vans should be excluded from these charges, as those drivers need to carry equipment etc. Though my dad, a tradesman until recently (retired) would pass on all parking charges etc to clients, and I always expect to pay the parking of anyone coming to mine to do work.

Also, to say londons transport system doesn't cut the mustard doesn't hold up... It's one of the most comprehensive transport systems in the world. People just don't like using is because a car is perceived as more convenient and comfortable.

I also think splitting the argument in to questioning where the money goes and if the charge is justified makes sense. Like any tax, querying what's being done with the money is justified. But does London have a huge traffic problem? Yes. Does London have a huge problem with pollution from cars yes (it's air quality is below recommended levels in 99% of London according to data and 9000 people died from air pollution related deaths in 2015). So what are we going to do about that? Say "but people need their cars"?
[Post edited 21 Jul 2021 20:47]
North/south circular congestion charge on 21:08 - Jul 21 with 5025 viewslightwaterhoop

I park my car at Sainsbury's or the Homebase/Argos car park at South Ruislip and get the central line from South Ruislip to White City.Avoid a lot of stress that way also there is a pub next to the station where quite a few rangers fans go after the game if you fancy a swift one.
North/south circular congestion charge on 22:42 - Jul 21 with 4952 viewsGloryHunter

I very rarely drive in London, other than to collect building materials or beer. I happily walk, cycle, and use the trains, tube & bus. But I do need to travel to my office in Suffolk once or twice a week, and there is no public transport that would get me anywhere near it. Hence my annoyance that I live 200m inside the South Circular, and have had to change my car in order to travel the first/last 200m of every 100 mile journey.
North/south circular congestion charge on 09:17 - Jul 22 with 4810 viewsslmrstid

Obviously not London based but I think there is a huge cultural change needed in this country around the idea of using cars and alternatives.

Leicester Council has a very active "Choose How You Move" service to try and alleviate city traffic and encourage alternative forms of transport for people's work commutes and leisure travel.

Of course for some things you will always need a car - I have a car and still need to use it - and yes it definitely is more advantageous to drive for your food shopping than it is to lug it on a bus, but there are way, way, way too many journeys done in cars out of pure bone idleness, and that needs to change. Other than the food shopping, my car is largely unused Monday to Friday, but then with family visits and other things generally gets more used at weekends.

I cycle to work - its just under 4 miles and 20-25 minutes depending on traffic. Leicester is great for cycleways so the journey is possible to do without going on roads except for about a 500 metre stretch (because I am quite openly not confident at all riding on the roads on my bike). My wife walks to work which is about 2 miles each way. Both of us could drive if we want to - but we don't. And actually with the way city traffic is the walking/riding option is just as quick, or just marginally slower, than it would be to drive.

At my office there are many people who actually live within a 2-3 mile radius of the place who could all cycle or walk to work safely using the wide shared spaces for walkers/cyclists - I am the only one who does. The worst instance I saw was someone who used to work here who lived a mile away, literally, and still drove into work every day. That could have been walked in less than 20 minutes.

And that comes down to people themselves having to not be lazy - because choosing to drive a mile into the office every day is nothing more than pure laziness for me. And we need a cultural change in this country where healthy sustainable methods of transport are seen as a positive thing, not something to be looked down on or to be enraged about on Facebook (just look at any internet comments section where cyclists are involved...)
North/south circular congestion charge on 10:53 - Jul 22 with 4737 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

North/south circular congestion charge on 09:17 - Jul 22 by slmrstid

Obviously not London based but I think there is a huge cultural change needed in this country around the idea of using cars and alternatives.

Leicester Council has a very active "Choose How You Move" service to try and alleviate city traffic and encourage alternative forms of transport for people's work commutes and leisure travel.

Of course for some things you will always need a car - I have a car and still need to use it - and yes it definitely is more advantageous to drive for your food shopping than it is to lug it on a bus, but there are way, way, way too many journeys done in cars out of pure bone idleness, and that needs to change. Other than the food shopping, my car is largely unused Monday to Friday, but then with family visits and other things generally gets more used at weekends.

I cycle to work - its just under 4 miles and 20-25 minutes depending on traffic. Leicester is great for cycleways so the journey is possible to do without going on roads except for about a 500 metre stretch (because I am quite openly not confident at all riding on the roads on my bike). My wife walks to work which is about 2 miles each way. Both of us could drive if we want to - but we don't. And actually with the way city traffic is the walking/riding option is just as quick, or just marginally slower, than it would be to drive.

At my office there are many people who actually live within a 2-3 mile radius of the place who could all cycle or walk to work safely using the wide shared spaces for walkers/cyclists - I am the only one who does. The worst instance I saw was someone who used to work here who lived a mile away, literally, and still drove into work every day. That could have been walked in less than 20 minutes.

And that comes down to people themselves having to not be lazy - because choosing to drive a mile into the office every day is nothing more than pure laziness for me. And we need a cultural change in this country where healthy sustainable methods of transport are seen as a positive thing, not something to be looked down on or to be enraged about on Facebook (just look at any internet comments section where cyclists are involved...)

I’d much rather get the train. More chilled, maybe even a little catch up on sleep or work.

The only reason I don’t is expense.

Rail Season ticket from me is £6,000
Car fuel, insurance, and MOT £3,000
North/south circular congestion charge on 11:37 - Jul 22 with 4690 viewsJuzzie

North/south circular congestion charge on 10:53 - Jul 22 by BazzaInTheLoft

I’d much rather get the train. More chilled, maybe even a little catch up on sleep or work.

The only reason I don’t is expense.

Rail Season ticket from me is £6,000
Car fuel, insurance, and MOT £3,000

There in a nutshell is why people will choose a car over public transport.

Then you have the door-to-door convenience, privacy etc etc.

It will only change once public transport becomes affordable and efficient. It's neither.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024