Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Hundred Cricket (Non QPR) 18:57 - Jul 21 with 7292 viewsthame_hoops

Is anybody interested in this new competition?

As a Middlesex member, for goodness knows how long, I decided to buy tickets to all of the games at Lords (4) and finals day. I only did it because last year with lockdown I decided to try and watch as much live sport as possible, once everything reopened for fans.

I’m not sure if it will be the death of county cricket, part of me doesn’t want it to be a success at all.

The BBC coverage seems complete wokeNess and a Presenter outside the oval asked a family all decked out in county cricket and England WC tops “ so, are you all cricket fans?”🤦🏼‍♂️

I’m willing to give it a go, and I’m hoping to be entertained at Lords.

What is everyone else’s thoughts?

The Hundred Cricket (Non QPR) on 10:18 - Jul 22 with 2202 viewsTelford_QPR

I am taking my lad to Birmingham game on Friday night. He is just getting into cricket and I think this form / T20 are great to get the little ones engaged and hopefully get them hooked enough so we can move on to watching proper cricket 😉
The Hundred Cricket (Non QPR) on 10:26 - Jul 22 with 2189 viewsNewhopphoops

I'm sure this train has left the station long ago but all these formats with different teams and groups means dividing the season into blocks for each format - so e.g the county championship has finished already.

As a benign dictator I'd much prefer to have every week of the season with a 3 or 4 day match, a 1 day match and a T20 between the same teams, with a fixed schedule e.g. T20 on Wednesday night, 1 day match on Sunday, and 3/4 day match on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and 4th day on Monday.
The Hundred Cricket (Non QPR) on 10:45 - Jul 22 with 2162 views80s_Boy

The Hundred Cricket (Non QPR) on 10:26 - Jul 22 by Newhopphoops

I'm sure this train has left the station long ago but all these formats with different teams and groups means dividing the season into blocks for each format - so e.g the county championship has finished already.

As a benign dictator I'd much prefer to have every week of the season with a 3 or 4 day match, a 1 day match and a T20 between the same teams, with a fixed schedule e.g. T20 on Wednesday night, 1 day match on Sunday, and 3/4 day match on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and 4th day on Monday.

I'm sure they used to pair the Sunday League with the County Championship.

Great idea.
The Hundred Cricket (Non QPR) on 10:47 - Jul 22 with 2162 viewsTheChef

I'm not overly against it, but the main concern is the impact on red ball cricket, and the likelihood of England going further downhill in the Test rankings.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

The Hundred Cricket (Non QPR) on 11:10 - Jul 22 with 2133 viewsCamberleyR

The Hundred Cricket (Non QPR) on 10:45 - Jul 22 by 80s_Boy

I'm sure they used to pair the Sunday League with the County Championship.

Great idea.

They did. When I started watching cricket as a small kid in the early 70s county matches when they were three day matches would either start on a Saturday or Wednesday and the matches that started on Saturday would have a John Player League game on the Sunday between the same two teams. B&H Cup & Gillette Cup/Nat West Trophy games were always played on Wednesdays.

I'm an old fart traditionalist so for me, four day first class cricket should be played throughout the season and not have these multiple entire weeks where they play nothing but white ball cricket.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

The Hundred Cricket (Non QPR) on 11:57 - Jul 22 with 2102 viewsLogman

The John Player League was quality.

John Arlott, Peter Laker.

'It's in the air ...........................

............. he's gone'
The Hundred Cricket (Non QPR) on 17:11 - Jul 22 with 2006 viewsmakaveli1882

The Hundred Cricket (Non QPR) on 21:06 - Jul 21 by thame_hoops

I assumed it would be the warmer stand, we always sit here anyway, the Allen stand tends to be used in conjunction with pavilion access for T20, however my tickets say enter at grace gate… previously for t20 in the warner stand this year they wanted us to enter at the north gate… as we couldn’t mix around the ground but I guess with restrictions are lifted, you can walk anywhere around now.
Radlett is fun it’s such a shame that you couldn’t use the clubhouse this year. The dinners they do are excellent, and the deserts are even better. The fruit crumbles are amazing, the ladies tell you they grow the fruit in their own allotment LOL

Sorry you missed the games mate, this was exactly our attitude, get too as much live sport/cricket as possible.

Hi Thame, sorry just seen it, I'm booked for Radlett on Friday 6th for 50 overs, mate I've had blast for Euros went to all the England games bar semi final and Middlesbrough for the two warm games so can't complain to much!

I've been going in first entrance which covers new Compton, grandstand and members area so been a bit different, again why I'm looking forward to the 100 and hoping things will be open.
The Hundred Cricket (Non QPR) on 19:26 - Jul 22 with 1955 viewsthame_hoops

Not as many families in the crowd tonight, compared to last night. Do the BBC presenters get a pound for every time they mention the word “atmosphere “
Login to get fewer ads

The Hundred Cricket (Non QPR) on 20:06 - Jul 22 with 1930 viewsdenhamhoop2

Absolutely hate it just for Middlesex players playing for Lancashire(Sorry Manchester Originals) and Scummey(Oval Invicibles). Then throw in the mad way if the captain chooses to bowl one bowler for 10 balls from one end if he is cynical and works it out right could have 70 balls from one end and only 30 the other end.
What was wrong with the T20 blast and actually investing in that rather than this Murdoch/Packer love child. Matter of time before they add style points in the scoring reminds me of when Pro Evo had North London and London Whites in their Premier League because of copyright infringements.
The Hundred Cricket (Non QPR) on 20:18 - Jul 22 with 1918 viewsHayesender

Forgetting everything else, the BBC coverage is amateur at best

Poll: Shamima Beghum

The Hundred Cricket (Non QPR) on 20:50 - Jul 22 with 1879 viewsstowmarketrange

The Hundred Cricket (Non QPR) on 20:06 - Jul 22 by denhamhoop2

Absolutely hate it just for Middlesex players playing for Lancashire(Sorry Manchester Originals) and Scummey(Oval Invicibles). Then throw in the mad way if the captain chooses to bowl one bowler for 10 balls from one end if he is cynical and works it out right could have 70 balls from one end and only 30 the other end.
What was wrong with the T20 blast and actually investing in that rather than this Murdoch/Packer love child. Matter of time before they add style points in the scoring reminds me of when Pro Evo had North London and London Whites in their Premier League because of copyright infringements.

No need to be so insulting about my county mate.Some of us were brought up right.
The Hundred Cricket (Non QPR) on 08:51 - Jul 23 with 1769 viewsR_from_afar

I'm another one who thinks we don't need it. It's too similar to 20 over cricket, which has been revolutionary and breathed new life into cricket. The game overall could suffer if there are lots of formats on an ongoing basis.

As an aside, when I was playing colts cricket, the league format was 15 8 ball overs with restricted run-ups. In one game, the umpire (provided by the opposition) at the bowler's end stopped our opening bowler after one or two balls of the over to tell him his run-up was too long. Our bowler made the adjustment and then....took six wickets in six consecutive balls, all bowled

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

The Hundred Cricket (Non QPR) on 10:07 - Jul 23 with 1716 viewsEsox_Lucius

I had no intention of watching it until I read this thread so I thought I would give it a chance. Setting aside the awful team names as a given gripe, I was highly unimpressed. The commentary and punditry is asinine. Mentioning Stokes was tonked for 4 x 6 in one over by Brathwaite was fine but it became tiresome by the 6th mention. Constantly emphasising how wonderful it is was heading into 1984 territory standards of deception and was also irritating.
On to the cricket; the bowling and fielding was exceptionally good but the batting failed to impress, there was a distinct lack of fluency with too much much pressure on getting the ball over the ropes with almost every shot.
This format is almost certainly not aimed at those who follow and love cricket, holding up a card to denote the end of an over, puerilely explaining the most basic of cricket terms and other such nonsense, like a match long DJ, contrived to give the appearance of offering customers an alternative to spending the night at a club or pub.
I will be one of those who will be sticking to test match and 50 over games with the occasional T20 thrown in for entertainment. 3/10 for me based on last night.

The grass is always greener.

The Hundred Cricket (Non QPR) on 12:09 - Jul 23 with 1664 viewsthame_hoops

The Hundred Cricket (Non QPR) on 10:07 - Jul 23 by Esox_Lucius

I had no intention of watching it until I read this thread so I thought I would give it a chance. Setting aside the awful team names as a given gripe, I was highly unimpressed. The commentary and punditry is asinine. Mentioning Stokes was tonked for 4 x 6 in one over by Brathwaite was fine but it became tiresome by the 6th mention. Constantly emphasising how wonderful it is was heading into 1984 territory standards of deception and was also irritating.
On to the cricket; the bowling and fielding was exceptionally good but the batting failed to impress, there was a distinct lack of fluency with too much much pressure on getting the ball over the ropes with almost every shot.
This format is almost certainly not aimed at those who follow and love cricket, holding up a card to denote the end of an over, puerilely explaining the most basic of cricket terms and other such nonsense, like a match long DJ, contrived to give the appearance of offering customers an alternative to spending the night at a club or pub.
I will be one of those who will be sticking to test match and 50 over games with the occasional T20 thrown in for entertainment. 3/10 for me based on last night.

There was an excellent write up in the telegraph today about it, echoing a similar view to you, i can't link it here as its behind a paywall
The Hundred Cricket (Non QPR) on 14:32 - Jul 23 with 1605 viewsplasmahoop

I'm instinctively against it, as one of the main selling points is, it's on terrestrial TV. That could be done anyway with the t20 blast. Also, vast swathes of the country now don't have representation, we don't just have six big cities like Australia. I also like some on here long for the days of the championship of the 70s/80s, and the Sunday league.(Middlesex were so good, at the championship but anyway). Part of the problem at the moment is that any game of any competition could start on any day of the week. The beauty of the Sunday league was that it was on a Sunday, so you knew where you stood.
On the other hand, things change unfortunately. And as Mike Atherton pointed out in the times the other week, the ecb has done this so they get the ticket sales And as they subsidise the counties, I guess we need this to work.
My hope is that on a non covid year they can devise a schedule, that enables these competitions to run in harmony, accepting that the championship and 50over comp isn't going to have the star players in it
The Hundred Cricket (Non QPR) on 15:15 - Jul 23 with 1567 viewsdenhamhoop2

Think it might be the making of the Womens game in this country giving youngsters chances to play pressurised cricket from an early age. Personally think cricket should be mixed up to 15 because up until then the physical differences in terms of strength shouldn't be too significant.
The Hundred Cricket (Non QPR) on 16:56 - Jul 23 with 1484 viewsloftus77

I watched the men's game (Oval v Manchester?) and I was actually quite impressed. Not sure long term how it differs from 20/20 but we'll see.

Amusing to think what England past greats such as WG, Bedser, Laker, Trueman et al would have made of it all, but this is 'tomorrow' I guess...
[Post edited 23 Jul 2021 16:56]
The Hundred Cricket (Non QPR) on 17:48 - Jul 23 with 1441 viewsthame_hoops

I was under the impression that every single game was on terrestrial television, but it’s not? I think that’s a massive mistake considering how they were going on about making it available to more people.

Another thing, it was supposed to be the worlds top stars, and I didn’t think it was going to clash with anything else, but it looks like all the England test players, can only play in the first two games. Coupled with most of the top Australians dropping out as they are out playing in the West Indies.. There are no more stars, then they would be in the vitality blast.
The Hundred Cricket (Non QPR) on 21:45 - Jul 23 with 1378 viewsM40R

So they've dumbed it down for a new audience by getting rid of simple to understand things like "overs" but kept the LBH rule unchanged and will still rely on the Duckworth- Lewis method to set a target if rain holds up play.
The Hundred Cricket (Non QPR) on 22:24 - Jul 23 with 1348 viewsSharpy36

Not a fan of this, although only after two games. Here in sunny Kent we don`t really have any high end sport to call our own except KCC, which by and large have been at the top of the game(Red and White ball)for decades.
Although our 4 day game has been horrendous this season our t20 is top notch even though we lose players constantly to England, IPL, Big bash we could quite easily make finals day.
Club cricket is tribal as much as club football but with this format i look around the squads looking for Kent players thinking who to give my backing, but am i missing the point were i should just enjoy the spectacle ?.
Could you imagine this happening to football and having players from say ManU and ManC playing for the Manchester marvels or heaven forbid Qpr and Chelsea players rubbing shoulders together.
As others have pointed out, invest in the T20, it`s a great format.

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

The Hundred Cricket (Non QPR) on 22:52 - Jul 23 with 1297 viewsThe_Beast1976

I actually like cricket, so not going anywhere near this load of old shant
The Hundred Cricket (Non QPR) on 22:57 - Aug 21 with 961 viewsthame_hoops

Did anyone go to the final today? I purchased two adults and two child tickets, silver section, in the new lower Compton stand. It was full of drunken idiots, no place for young kids. Spilling beer, spitting, throwing beer, lots of people completely paralytic, standing up constantly and the stewards just watched and rarely acted. I guess it’s a recipe for disaster having a final at 6:30 pm on a Saturday. Lots of people from Birmingham had been out on the drink all day.. The bars were closed early at 8 pm, as the shutters came down, people queueing were kicking off to the point police have to get involved.

I thought they were trying to market it for families. I think Lords need to get their act together next year. Maybe have stands that don’t sell alcohol. Apparently There were lots of issues when the London spirit played the Trent Rockets in the nursery end, this is why you weren’t allowed to bring alcohol into the ground unless you were an MCC member. Previous London spirit games, I didn’t notice anything Firsthand as I was sat in the Warner stand.
The Hundred Cricket (Non QPR) on 23:54 - Aug 21 with 907 viewsHantsR

I reckon I'm a traditionalist and have enjoyed various forms of cricket for many years, from watching Trueman and Statham bowling for England at Lord's to one day and County championship games at Lord's and the Ageas Bowl. I've never wanted to watch shorter forms such as the T20 but ...recently Ive been given a free ticket to two Southern Braves games at the Ageas Bowl. Once was with my sons and two of my grandsons, then with an old friend and his grandson. You know, I really enjoyed myself, they were fun evenings and I enjoyed watching the final tonight. Sad to read about the reported bad behaviour by some, but my experience was much more positive. They were good family- affairs -but I dont suppose it'll help Test match cricket and CC forms though.
The Hundred Cricket (Non QPR) on 00:43 - Aug 22 with 885 viewsDavieQPR

Pure greed and jealousy of the IPL. Some Counties have no red ball matches for 6 weeks over the peak time of July/August. Also ruining 50 over form of game.
The Hundred Cricket (Non QPR) on 10:29 - Aug 22 with 761 viewsthame_hoops

The Hundred Cricket (Non QPR) on 23:54 - Aug 21 by HantsR

I reckon I'm a traditionalist and have enjoyed various forms of cricket for many years, from watching Trueman and Statham bowling for England at Lord's to one day and County championship games at Lord's and the Ageas Bowl. I've never wanted to watch shorter forms such as the T20 but ...recently Ive been given a free ticket to two Southern Braves games at the Ageas Bowl. Once was with my sons and two of my grandsons, then with an old friend and his grandson. You know, I really enjoyed myself, they were fun evenings and I enjoyed watching the final tonight. Sad to read about the reported bad behaviour by some, but my experience was much more positive. They were good family- affairs -but I dont suppose it'll help Test match cricket and CC forms though.

My overall experience over the last few weeks has been good but then we’ve been sat in mcc members and friends seats in the Pelham or Warner. I would say I’m a traditionalist but enjoy t20 at lords with my elderly father. When bbc show hundred games they talk to families in the crowd and it’s great but it’s almost as if these newer fans don’t know t20 exists ! The atmosphere was similar to t20 finals day, lots of drunk people but it just surprised me last night seeing as lot’s of thought, time, money and effort was out into making the hundred more for families. Half tempted to email lords with my feedback, don’t get me wrong, I’m all for groups of lads having a good day out but Lord needs to rethink its policies on this next year.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2021 10:31]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024