Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
TEAM SELECTION v BARNSLEY 15:44 - Aug 21 with 2015 viewsgazza1

I am a massive fan of MW. He has made this club into a proper team and club to support, not on his own but he is the most important cog in the wheel.

However, today I think that he got the team selection wrong. Playing Kakay at LWB was not good, he is far from comfortable there and comes inside far too often, the left side is not natural to him. Likewise, to leave Ball out and replace him with Dozzell is not a good decision. He just doesn't have enough of the same qualities and movement as Ball - hopefully it will improve. Thomas playing instead of Albert was baffling. Still MW recognised that very quickly and made the required changes.

We looked far better when he introduced 2 subs and moved players around. A draw was probably a fair result and very well played to the boys for never giving up and keeping going.
TEAM SELECTION v BARNSLEY on 15:48 - Aug 21 with 1971 viewsRanger_Things

Everyone makes mistakes. What matters is how you put them right.

[Post edited 21 Aug 2021 15:49]
TEAM SELECTION v BARNSLEY on 15:48 - Aug 21 with 1961 viewsstrikerace

The speed at which he made the changes tells me that maybe he knew all along it wasn't the right time (or at lease suspected it). Maybe he wanted to give Thomas a chance, maybe his asst talked him into it, etc. Clearly it was on the front of his mind if he made the change 30 minutes in.

Frankly I give him credit for changing so quickly. Likely saved us a point today
TEAM SELECTION v BARNSLEY on 15:52 - Aug 21 with 1917 viewsMatch82

TEAM SELECTION v BARNSLEY on 15:48 - Aug 21 by strikerace

The speed at which he made the changes tells me that maybe he knew all along it wasn't the right time (or at lease suspected it). Maybe he wanted to give Thomas a chance, maybe his asst talked him into it, etc. Clearly it was on the front of his mind if he made the change 30 minutes in.

Frankly I give him credit for changing so quickly. Likely saved us a point today

I think he obviously got it wrong to start. But I agree, that is a ballsy thing to do to make the hard call to take two players off after half an hour but it worked.
TEAM SELECTION v BARNSLEY on 15:57 - Aug 21 with 1865 viewskensalriser

I think the speed of the changes was prompted by the fact of being two goals down, it was pretty obvious it wasn't wroking.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

TEAM SELECTION v BARNSLEY on 16:28 - Aug 21 with 1751 viewsLogman

He did screw up a but to start off with but I don't think he was helped by Dozzell who wasn't up to it and Thomas who was very ineffective. I think those two need to be put in against Oxford and told to up their game and be a lot more influential.
TEAM SELECTION v BARNSLEY on 16:35 - Aug 21 with 1709 viewsPinnerPaul

No one on Match Thread said the team was 'wrong' pre 12.30pm - just saying.
TEAM SELECTION v BARNSLEY on 16:38 - Aug 21 with 1703 viewsWatfordR

TEAM SELECTION v BARNSLEY on 16:35 - Aug 21 by PinnerPaul

Was at the game so didn't post, but I was surprised not to see Ball start. Seemed to be a game made for him.
TEAM SELECTION v BARNSLEY on 16:43 - Aug 21 with 1668 viewseastside_r

Absolutely complete credit to MW making those changes. I have been critical in the past about his stubbornness not to make changes. Right and brave decision today.
Login to get fewer ads

TEAM SELECTION v BARNSLEY on 16:46 - Aug 21 with 1636 viewsMalintabuk

TEAM SELECTION v BARNSLEY on 16:35 - Aug 21 by PinnerPaul

Page 2 of it 12 21. Just got to my seat and saw the team news and commented that I was surprised he dropped Ball..... and think most on this thread is right it was not the right decision. Agree that I would play Thomas and Dozzell against Oxford
TEAM SELECTION v BARNSLEY on 16:46 - Aug 21 with 1641 viewsWatfordR

TEAM SELECTION v BARNSLEY on 16:43 - Aug 21 by eastside_r

Absolutely complete credit to MW making those changes. I have been critical in the past about his stubbornness not to make changes. Right and brave decision today.

It occurred to me when he made those subs. Being ruthless applies to managers too.
TEAM SELECTION v BARNSLEY on 16:48 - Aug 21 with 1626 viewsPinnerPaul

TEAM SELECTION v BARNSLEY on 16:46 - Aug 21 by Malintabuk

Page 2 of it 12 21. Just got to my seat and saw the team news and commented that I was surprised he dropped Ball..... and think most on this thread is right it was not the right decision. Agree that I would play Thomas and Dozzell against Oxford

Fair enough but 'surprised' isn't saying he was wrong!
TEAM SELECTION v BARNSLEY on 17:01 - Aug 21 with 1553 viewsAntti_Heinola

TEAM SELECTION v BARNSLEY on 16:46 - Aug 21 by Malintabuk

Terminology here. Ball was very unlikely to have been ‘dropped’. MW likely thought he needed fresh legs in CM after a gruelling week, but leaving out Stef, with no Field, is not an option. So Ball got a rest ahead of likely starting v oxford.
As others have said, it didn’t work, but credit to MW for gambling and changing so early.

Bare bones.

TEAM SELECTION v BARNSLEY on 17:33 - Aug 21 with 1408 viewsted_hendrix

QPR manager Mark Warburton on his first-half substitutions:

"We were two down and just felt we had to change it quickly. It's no reflection on Andre or George - they've been excellent since the first day of pre-season.

"But we had to change it and they were the two who suffered. It could have been a number of people.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

TEAM SELECTION v BARNSLEY on 17:43 - Aug 21 with 1359 viewsHastings_Hoops

TEAM SELECTION v BARNSLEY on 15:48 - Aug 21 by Ranger_Things

Everyone makes mistakes. What matters is how you put them right.

[Post edited 21 Aug 2021 15:49]

Absolutely - what pleased me was that he fixed it… certainly does have a ‘plan b’ when needed.
TEAM SELECTION v BARNSLEY on 17:48 - Aug 21 with 1316 viewsBenny_the_Ball

TEAM SELECTION v BARNSLEY on 17:33 - Aug 21 by ted_hendrix

QPR manager Mark Warburton on his first-half substitutions:

"We were two down and just felt we had to change it quickly. It's no reflection on Andre or George - they've been excellent since the first day of pre-season.

"But we had to change it and they were the two who suffered. It could have been a number of people.

MW being slightly disingenuous there. They were the obvious 2 to sub and shouldn't have even started to begin with. Yes MW changed it but he had little other option at 2 nil down after just half an hour. Had MW started with the team he finished with I think we would've won this game. As it is MW underestimated Barnsley and in the end QPR were slightly fortunate to grab a draw.
TEAM SELECTION v BARNSLEY on 18:02 - Aug 21 with 1249 viewsBenny_the_Ball

TEAM SELECTION v BARNSLEY on 16:43 - Aug 21 by eastside_r

He was simply correcting his mistakes.

Excerpt from Clive's match preview:

"Nevertheless, there’s some walking wounded from the week of travelling, the most serious of which would seem to be Lee Wallace who sadly left the field late clutching a hamstring after another super individual display. If he is indeed not fit it’s a race for Sam McCallum, yet to make his senior debut for the club after a summer loan move from Norwich because of illness. Moses Odubajo serves a one match ban for his red card at the Riverside so if all three are indeed missing there’s a decision to be made at left wing back — Yoann Barbet moving out there and Jimmy Dunne getting a start feels like the easiest fix."

Warbs ignored the easiest fix.
TEAM SELECTION v BARNSLEY on 18:08 - Aug 21 with 1221 viewsrsonist

This was most likely the toughest assignment Dozzell's had in his career, and probably will be for this season. Unfortunately it ended up looking like he'd been fed to the wolves.

May have been a start more out of necessity/hope than merit, but maybe not - on paper you want the more technical player to keep short possession to beat that press, and to sling balls over the top of it as Dozzell has a penchant for. It was only a couple of days ago we conceded an equaliser from the Dominator dawdling and getting hustled off the ball... likewise a few weeks ago where Adomah put in a performance v Orient no better than Thomas'.

I said on the other thread myself I'd probably rather play Thomas at WB and stick to the formation, but they had us totally pinned and we just couldn't get out either coming out from the back, passing through the middle or via the flanks - Thomas and Kakay not the only ones at fault for that.

Hindsight is a mutha basically... still could easily have ended 4-2 to them on another day despite the improvement.
TEAM SELECTION v BARNSLEY on 18:14 - Aug 21 with 1183 viewsrsonist

TEAM SELECTION v BARNSLEY on 18:02 - Aug 21 by Benny_the_Ball

He was simply correcting his mistakes.

Excerpt from Clive's match preview:

"Nevertheless, there’s some walking wounded from the week of travelling, the most serious of which would seem to be Lee Wallace who sadly left the field late clutching a hamstring after another super individual display. If he is indeed not fit it’s a race for Sam McCallum, yet to make his senior debut for the club after a summer loan move from Norwich because of illness. Moses Odubajo serves a one match ban for his red card at the Riverside so if all three are indeed missing there’s a decision to be made at left wing back — Yoann Barbet moving out there and Jimmy Dunne getting a start feels like the easiest fix."

Warbs ignored the easiest fix.

Easiest but not without its own drawbacks either - formation change proves that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024