Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Push Up Brentford ! 15:01 - Sep 3 with 4459 viewscolinallcars

Anyone watch this on Together TV ? An enjoyable look at supporting a club from the fans' perspective.
Lots of references to us and Bus Stop In Hounslow.
I wish they'd do a similar show about us.
Push Up Brentford ! on 15:04 - Sep 3 with 3730 viewsMick_S

What is together tv? Have I got it?

Decided to temporarily stop being lazy and I found it.

Virgin 269
Sky 170
Free view 82.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2021 15:26]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Push Up Brentford ! on 17:10 - Sep 3 with 3588 viewsNorthernr

Is this thread a bet?
Push Up Brentford ! on 18:09 - Sep 3 with 3473 viewsenfieldargh

I thought it was about women's lingerie

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Push Up Brentford ! on 10:47 - Sep 4 with 3213 viewsStanmiguel

I've seen it, very interesting although its about Bees it shows all fans face the same issues. The rivalry section of course featured QPR and I loved the bit when the Brentford fan sang " bus stop in hounslow"
Lots of bits showing local Brentford pubs.as well. Push up Brentford refers to a saying an old timer on the terraces had. ok', its about Brentford but v interesting.
Push Up Brentford ! on 12:13 - Sep 4 with 3140 viewsParkRoyalR

Push Up Brentford ! on 10:47 - Sep 4 by Stanmiguel

I've seen it, very interesting although its about Bees it shows all fans face the same issues. The rivalry section of course featured QPR and I loved the bit when the Brentford fan sang " bus stop in hounslow"
Lots of bits showing local Brentford pubs.as well. Push up Brentford refers to a saying an old timer on the terraces had. ok', its about Brentford but v interesting.

Don't suppose any told the truth about their boards SoS call to Rangers chairman? The bloke singing 'bus stop in Hounslow' was beyond embarrassing. Dave Lane + a couple of them seemed normal fella's, almost surprising considering some of their attention seeking oddballs, Gilham, Bruton etc
Push Up Brentford ! on 12:32 - Sep 4 with 3116 viewscolinallcars

Push Up Brentford ! on 12:13 - Sep 4 by ParkRoyalR

Don't suppose any told the truth about their boards SoS call to Rangers chairman? The bloke singing 'bus stop in Hounslow' was beyond embarrassing. Dave Lane + a couple of them seemed normal fella's, almost surprising considering some of their attention seeking oddballs, Gilham, Bruton etc

Yes some of their fans were a pain in the 'arris, but I left it wishing a similar programme were to be made about us. It's a good concept showing the travails we ordinary fans experience following our respective clubs. I didn't know David Webb once bought Brentford.
Push Up Brentford ! on 15:10 - Sep 4 with 3007 viewshook_hoops

Found it on youtube

Sorry, that didn't work, but it's on youtube anyway.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2021 15:11]
Push Up Brentford ! on 15:14 - Sep 4 with 2994 viewsMedwayR

I just watched it on youtube, not a bad little watch, laughable that they think we're rivals though and some are unable to see the truth around the take over in 1967.

Poll: Who’s better?

Login to get fewer ads

Push Up Brentford ! on 16:11 - Sep 4 with 2907 viewsswitchingcode

Can understand this being of no interest to some but it gives hope to clubs fans who are down on their luck not to give up and what can be achieved.Some great old footage of how shite we were back in the day.
Push Up Brentford ! on 16:13 - Sep 4 with 2900 viewsswitchingcode

Push Up Brentford ! on 15:14 - Sep 4 by MedwayR

I just watched it on youtube, not a bad little watch, laughable that they think we're rivals though and some are unable to see the truth around the take over in 1967.

You are right on the money there Chelsea Spurs Arsenal and west hame are our rivals now 👍
Push Up Brentford ! on 16:18 - Sep 4 with 2881 viewsMick_S

Push Up Brentford ! on 16:13 - Sep 4 by switchingcode

You are right on the money there Chelsea Spurs Arsenal and west hame are our rivals now 👍

Steady now.

Push Up Brentford ! on 16:20 - Sep 4 with 2875 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Push Up Brentford ! on 16:13 - Sep 4 by switchingcode

Yep and they couldn’t give a toss about you either ;)
[Post edited 4 Sep 2021 16:21]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Push Up Brentford ! on 17:25 - Sep 4 with 2792 viewsGaryBannisterswedge

Push Up Brentford ! on 16:20 - Sep 4 by CliveWilsonSaid

Yep and they couldn’t give a toss about you either ;)
[Post edited 4 Sep 2021 16:21]

I’ve watched it too, thought it was decent, quite interesting, some decent chaps and some prize ballbags talking (which is at every club in the country)forgot about Noades trying to fcuk them over and fair play to the fans groups who fought him and Webb. They’re still and always will be little old Brentford to me and I’m indifferent about them.
Push Up Brentford ! on 18:38 - Sep 4 with 2706 viewsNortholt_Rs

No. I’d rather stick pins in my eyes.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Push Up Brentford ! on 18:59 - Sep 4 with 2673 viewsMick_S

Push Up Brentford ! on 18:38 - Sep 4 by Northolt_Rs

No. I’d rather stick pins in my eyes.

There is that option, too.

Push Up Brentford ! on 19:08 - Sep 4 with 2658 viewsswitchingcode

Push Up Brentford ! on 16:18 - Sep 4 by Mick_S

Steady now.

It was said in jest,all l hear these days are songs about Fulham from our younger fans
Push Up Brentford ! on 20:33 - Sep 4 with 2586 viewsjoe90

Don't get the animosity towards us, apart from that it was a good doc.
Push Up Brentford ! on 21:12 - Sep 4 with 2549 viewsdavman

Push Up Brentford ! on 18:09 - Sep 3 by enfieldargh

I thought it was about women's lingerie

You're thinking of "Push up Bristols" surely?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Push Up Brentford ! on 21:18 - Sep 4 with 2543 viewsJuzzie

Push Up Brentford ! on 20:33 - Sep 4 by joe90

Don't get the animosity towards us, apart from that it was a good doc.

Mainly based on their own continued miss-interpretation of events some 50 years ago. Gives them a reason to have a rival ‘cos there’s no one else to rival with.
Push Up Brentford ! on 10:18 - Sep 5 with 2303 viewsdenhamhoop2

Loved it most of the Bees fans of my age have basically the same story of following their team as I would. Loved the bloke who said only the 90 minutes football ruins his Match Day experience Used to play Darts against Jo Whelan she is quite a character with quite a few stories most attached to following the Bees home and away
Push Up Brentford ! on 11:54 - Sep 5 with 2253 viewsRangersw12

Push Up Brentford ! on 19:08 - Sep 4 by switchingcode

It was said in jest,all l hear these days are songs about Fulham from our younger fans

Went to a Brentford v Fulham game late 90's and went in thr Fulham end.

There seemed to be genuine hatred from both sets of supporters towards each other and felt like a proper rivalry
Push Up Brentford ! on 23:05 - Sep 6 with 1998 viewsNewBee

Push Up Brentford ! on 21:18 - Sep 4 by Juzzie

Mainly based on their own continued miss-interpretation of events some 50 years ago. Gives them a reason to have a rival ‘cos there’s no one else to rival with.

When I first moved to London in the 80's, I got to talking to an old boy who lived opposite, who must have been nearly 70 even then. He was a Bees fan.

His son once made some reference to Fulham, when Dad interrupted him to remind him that QPR were always Brentford's traditional local rivals back in the day i.e. well before the 1967 takeover attempt.
Push Up Brentford ! on 09:51 - Sep 7 with 1804 viewsParkRoyalR

Push Up Brentford ! on 23:05 - Sep 6 by NewBee

When I first moved to London in the 80's, I got to talking to an old boy who lived opposite, who must have been nearly 70 even then. He was a Bees fan.

His son once made some reference to Fulham, when Dad interrupted him to remind him that QPR were always Brentford's traditional local rivals back in the day i.e. well before the 1967 takeover attempt.

Surely Northampton Town FC were the Bees big rival in the 80's, as when I use to go down with the only Bees fan of 600 pupils in our West London school, they used to sing about the Brentford fan...'who was shot in the town of Northampton'

Now, like your little anecdote below, and Rangers instigating a 'take-over', the above just did'nt happen did it....unless said Bee had an accident when paint-balling during one of Billy Bell's fun-packed away days.
Push Up Brentford ! on 10:42 - Sep 7 with 1746 viewsJuzzie

Push Up Brentford ! on 23:05 - Sep 6 by NewBee

Makes sense. I started going in the early 80's and up until the millennium there hadn't been any for nigh on 3 decades.

NB: it wasn't a takeover attempt. This is the mis-interpretation that still goes on to this day.
Push Up Brentford ! on 18:07 - Sep 7 with 1559 viewsNewBee

Push Up Brentford ! on 10:42 - Sep 7 by Juzzie

Makes sense. I started going in the early 80's and up until the millennium there hadn't been any for nigh on 3 decades.

NB: it wasn't a takeover attempt. This is the mis-interpretation that still goes on to this day.

As I understand it, the traditional local rivalries in London were always:
Spurs vs Arsenal
Chelsea vs Fulham
Brentford vs QPR.

Never quite sure about matters south of the river -
WHU vs Millwall?
Palace vs Charlton?
Orient?

Anyhow, the key words are "traditional" and "local". Which is not to say that these things cannot change as clubs rise and fall through the divisions. Consequently they may no longer get to meet their old rivals very often, but instead find themselves up against another London club on a regular basis.

Add to that fans no longer living and working within a tram ride of their "home" stadium as they move out of the area, to be replaced with new , incoming communities who may not even follow football.

Then there's the "M23 Derby" between Palace and Brighton, which I don't begin to understand.

Which is why I personally see QPR and Bees being rivals, while you may disagree.

Either way, none of it is really worth getting too bothered about.

As for the "takeover", my understanding is this. BFC had a bit of a wrong 'un, Jack Dunnett, as Chairman/Owner. From 1964 he had aslo been the Labour MP for a Nottingham constituency when in 1967 the opportunity came for him to buy Notts County, which he presumably thought would embed himnself further in the community. However FL rules barring one person from owning two clubs meant he would have to divest himself of BFC.

However, instead of putting it on the market, he approached Jim Gregory (or JG approached him?) to discuss a "merger". This appealed to QPR, since GP had a bigger capacity than Loftus Road (and greater development potential?) While QPR could benefit from selling off LR, as a bonus.

Meaning that what was called a "merger" would actually have been a takeover by QPR, thus spelling the end of Brentford, since JG would have owned the ground, while the team playing in it would surely have been wearing blue and white hoops..

But as we all know, this merger/takeover - call it what you like - was thwarted by a Bees fans'campaign which prevented it going ahead, with Dunnett being forced eventually to sell the club to a fan-led consortium.

So that even if you consider that no blame may be attached to Gregory/QPR for merely "responding to an offer", neither can you blame Bees fans for harbouring less-than-warm feelings towards QPR for their part in all this.

Though I personally am over it.

P.S. Had the merger/takeover/sale/whatever gone ahead, who would then have been just a "Bus stop in Hounslow"?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024