Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP Jimmy Greaves 10:28 - Sep 19 with 5835 viewsCamberleyR

Another of the boys from '66 gone. Was too young to have seen him in his pomp but a fantastic goal scorer.

RIP

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

RIP Jimmy Greaves on 16:18 - Sep 19 with 2086 viewscyprusmel

If your interested there is a good book "This one's on me" by Jimmy Greaves.
RIP Jimmy Greaves (n/t) on 17:14 - Sep 19 with 2025 viewscyprusmel

[Post edited 19 Sep 2021 17:15]
RIP Jimmy Greaves on 17:27 - Sep 19 with 2014 viewsVancouverHoop

I saw him a couple of times playing for Spurs shortly after his return from Milan. The most memorable occasion was a midweek FA Cup third round match at Stamford Bridge under lights. I don't if it was capacity but, with all that open terracing, it was easily the largest crowd I'd been in at the time. Chelsea won, I'd expected Greaves to get the bird every time he touched the ball. But he never did, he generated nothing but applause. RIP.
RIP Jimmy Greaves on 17:33 - Sep 19 with 2000 viewszicoshoops

First remember him in the 67 Cup Final.
Don’t know if anyone knows the lifelong QPR, Pete Higgs.
Miserable old bugger…..
But he’s always said that Greaves was the best natural goal scorer he’s ever seen.

What’s going on?

We should be told

Sort it out
RIP Jimmy Greaves on 18:06 - Sep 19 with 1966 viewsQPRSteve

RIP Jimmy Greaves on 14:04 - Sep 19 by MorrisD52

Great player I remember him down at Loftus Rd playing for Spurs he went up for a header missed it and punched it in, wheeled away his hand in the air claiming a goal and the Ref gave it the only one on the pitch who didn't see the punch

I was at that game. Lost 1-0 1968-69. Could never forgive him for that. I suppose I can now
RIP Jimmy Greaves on 18:20 - Sep 19 with 1946 viewsManinBlack

RIP Jimmy Greaves on 18:06 - Sep 19 by QPRSteve

I was at that game. Lost 1-0 1968-69. Could never forgive him for that. I suppose I can now

I thought we drew 1-1. It was a torrid season with only four wins but don't give us an extra defeat in that relegation season please.

A certain irony that he passed away only 6 months after his great mate the Saint. The man was a top striker and came across as a good man albeit he did support Oxford against us in that fantasy final so that can be added to the handball goal offence.

RIP to a footballing great.
RIP Jimmy Greaves on 18:38 - Sep 19 with 1921 viewsQPsyR

Top geezer

Read his book about alcoholism, Graet read

RIP x

FKA AcidPixie

RIP Jimmy Greaves on 19:08 - Sep 19 with 1897 viewsNoelmc

RIP Jimmy Greaves on 18:20 - Sep 19 by ManinBlack

I thought we drew 1-1. It was a torrid season with only four wins but don't give us an extra defeat in that relegation season please.

A certain irony that he passed away only 6 months after his great mate the Saint. The man was a top striker and came across as a good man albeit he did support Oxford against us in that fantasy final so that can be added to the handball goal offence.

I'm sure it was 1-1.

I was there as a 9 year-old and if memory serves me correctly, Greavsie scored the 'hand assisted' goal very late on to deny us a win. It looked a clear handball to me and I could not understand how the ref or Lino had not seen it. I'm fairly sure I stood in the School End that season, so think it was likely scored at that End (which would also tie in with us normally attacking the Loft for the second half).

Fantastic Footballer. Clive Allen was one of the best natural goal scorers I've ever seen, but Jimmy was a level above that. Seemed a really nice guy too.

RIP Greavsie.
Login to get fewer ads

RIP Jimmy Greaves on 09:00 - Sep 20 with 1740 viewsTheChef

RIP Greavsie.

Given his issues with alcohol, he did amazingly well to get to 81.

Both him and Saint both gone now - they played a huge part in developing my love for the game.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

RIP Jimmy Greaves on 09:16 - Sep 20 with 1735 viewsMetallica_Hoop

RIP

So sad both Saint and Greavesie gone.

Watching some of the tributes I didn't realize just how skillful he was.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

RIP Jimmy Greaves on 09:45 - Sep 20 with 1709 viewsBklynRanger

Very sad, and only 6 months after Saint - seems somehow fitting (though obviously not in a welcome way. ) He had such a distinctive, cool way of describing things. RIP Greavsie.
RIP Jimmy Greaves on 11:34 - Sep 20 with 1658 viewsMichael_Hunt

RIP Jimmy Greaves on 19:08 - Sep 19 by Noelmc

I'm sure it was 1-1.

I was there as a 9 year-old and if memory serves me correctly, Greavsie scored the 'hand assisted' goal very late on to deny us a win. It looked a clear handball to me and I could not understand how the ref or Lino had not seen it. I'm fairly sure I stood in the School End that season, so think it was likely scored at that End (which would also tie in with us normally attacking the Loft for the second half).

Fantastic Footballer. Clive Allen was one of the best natural goal scorers I've ever seen, but Jimmy was a level above that. Seemed a really nice guy too.

RIP Greavsie.

Definitely at the Loft End and 1-1. I was right behind the goal and saw it as clear as daylight.
RIP Jimmy Greaves on 13:26 - Sep 20 with 1593 viewsKonk

My Dad was a regular at the Lane, and absolutely loved Greaves as a player. He sometimes used to take us to watch him at Barnet when I was very young, because he wanted us to see what all the fuss was about and because he wanted to watch Greaves whilst that was still possible. An absolutely incredible goal scoring record in the top division and internationally. I’ve seen forwards go on runs where they score 10 in 12 games or something, but to score at such a rate throughout his career is just insane.

Obviously he struggled with alcoholism and had some tragedy in his personal life, with the death of his young son, so to turn it around and go on to become a much loved pundit/presenter was a great achievement. Watching Saint & Greavsie before heading out the football was a huge part of so many peoples’ match day routine. If we were at an away game, my Mum would video it and we’d watch it when we got home.

RIP Greavsie - a genuine legend.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

RIP Jimmy Greaves on 13:32 - Sep 20 with 1580 viewsPinnerPaul

I didn't realise he is the 3rd highest league goalscorer - ever, behind only Messi and Ronaldo!
RIP Jimmy Greaves on 14:52 - Sep 20 with 1548 viewsMalintabuk

Yes it was 1-1 that night. Remember we battered Spurs and Jennings had a great game. It was late in the game and a corner. It came across into a crowd of players and the rest is history
There were so many downs that year, another was Leeds which we lost 0-1 and again battered them, and I think Revie actually said that night he knew they would win the league
The whole season was encapsulated in the 1-8 at Old Trafford in the p!ssing rain
RIP Jimmy Greaves on 17:59 - Sep 20 with 1489 viewsCamberleyR

RIP Jimmy Greaves on 13:32 - Sep 20 by PinnerPaul

I didn't realise he is the 3rd highest league goalscorer - ever, behind only Messi and Ronaldo!

Yeah, I believe Ronaldo has only recently overtaken him.

His records are unbelievable considering the absolute mudheaps they played on from November to March in those days. Four times scored more than 30 in a season including one of more than 40 for 'that lot'. An 'average' of 25 a season over his career and he packed it in at 31.

Last played for England 54 years ago and still only three people above him in the all time scorers list and again he packed it in early at 28 because after not being used in the 1968 Euro finals he told Alf Ramsey he wasn't going to be a bit part player.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2021 18:00]

RIP Jimmy Greaves on 18:03 - Sep 20 with 1475 viewsCamberleyR

Nice little snippet of an interview with Ian Wooldridge from 1981

RIP Jimmy Greaves on 18:52 - Sep 20 with 1453 viewsthemodfather

great player, RIP greavsie
RIP Jimmy Greaves on 19:11 - Sep 20 with 1435 viewswelwynranger

It was 1-1. Clarke scored for us
RIP Jimmy Greaves on 20:50 - Sep 20 with 1383 viewsM40R

I remember the handball but could have sworn it was at the School End.

Apparently Greavsie wore fawn fingerless mittens! Match report about half way down. Lots happened that day! http://www.mehstg.com/qprmatch.htm
[Post edited 20 Sep 2021 21:48]
RIP Jimmy Greaves on 02:38 - Sep 21 with 1291 viewsBenny_the_Ball

RIP Jimmy Greaves on 13:32 - Sep 20 by PinnerPaul

Wow, that's some stat. I never had the pleasure of watching him play but as a youngster I was certainly aware of his pedigree. Saint and Greavsie was such a good watch, nothing has come close since.
RIP Jimmy Greaves on 10:45 - Sep 21 with 1178 viewsBklynRanger

RIP Jimmy Greaves on 18:03 - Sep 20 by CamberleyR

Nice little snippet of an interview with Ian Wooldridge from 1981

That's a brilliant clip.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024