Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A few thoughts on tonights game 22:29 - Sep 24 with 4162 viewsMyke

Obviously Dieng's error a turning point, but I thought we were off in a few other areas too.
* Despite scoring in record time, I thought Gray was poor overall. Not faulting his attitude or application,just couldn't make the ball stick (not really his strength) but failed to run in behind the defence often enough (which is) and often strayed offside. With the ball coming back it invited extra pressure on us
* Removing Willock was an error. The one player with genuine guile who was troubling the West Brom defence and with great composure. His removal meant we just played hoofball which played right into their 3 CB's hands and further negated the effectiveness of Gray
* A lack of urgency even in added time . Against Barnsley and Reading we were busting a gut to get a goal, it never looked likely here
* Chair still has that need to get his shot away regardless of better options. He wa doing it last season, so either it hasn't been coached out of him or he is not listening. When it works (Barnsley) it looks wonderful , but a simple chip sideways tonight and Dykes had a tap in and the game is over
* We went on a run last season of conceding two goals per game and we are doing it again. It means we have a mountain to climb to even get a point from a game. As a unit our defence looks solid, but individual errors are killing us
* Injuries mounting up. Last season (apart from Amos, obviously) we remained relatively injury free,despite the compressed fixture list. This year they are mounting up and we are losing players in key positions. If - as looks very likely - we have now lost Johanson with a hamstring for a spell, it is really starting to bite. We know that Dozzell is not yet ready,hopefully Amos will be able to get involved in the coming games. Likewise, while Barbet was solid tonight, he is not a lwb and plays his best football as the left of a three, so losing both Wallace and McCallum is a setback.
POSITIVES
Wanted to finish on a positive note:
* I thought Moses was much improved tonight and a contender for MOM. He was lively, solid and caused problems down the right. as well as defending well.
* I thought Dunne was also excellent and in the (likely) event of Jorgi missing games, I would have no concerns about him stepping in.
A few thoughts on tonights game on 23:12 - Sep 24 with 3466 viewsQPROslo

Agree wth that except I thought Johansen, Chair and Willock had quiet games. We were playing long to avoid their press, but the ball generally came straight back. The 3 mentioned saw it going over their heads rather than being played to feet.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2021 9:51]
A few thoughts on tonights game on 01:02 - Sep 25 with 3286 viewsParkRoyalR

Great summary, thought Gray's running lines were poor and didn't offer an outlet near enough, but Moses (lack of cover accepted) was way out of position for 1st (and 2nd?) and Dunne was my MOTM as set about them as we are just too nice at times.
A few thoughts on tonights game on 01:07 - Sep 25 with 3262 viewsBoston

A few thoughts on tonights game on 01:02 - Sep 25 by ParkRoyalR

Great summary, thought Gray's running lines were poor and didn't offer an outlet near enough, but Moses (lack of cover accepted) was way out of position for 1st (and 2nd?) and Dunne was my MOTM as set about them as we are just too nice at times.

Those lines are easily addressed, think he has great potential.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

A few thoughts on tonights game on 01:31 - Sep 25 with 3200 viewsstainrods_elbow

A few thoughts on tonights game on 01:07 - Sep 25 by Boston

Those lines are easily addressed, think he has great potential.

He's 30, for Pete's sake! If he hasn't realised his potential by now as a footballer, I'd say that ship has already sailed!

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

A few thoughts on tonights game on 01:37 - Sep 25 with 3210 viewsstrikerace

In my opinion, Gray is 3rd choice.
A few thoughts on tonights game on 04:05 - Sep 25 with 3112 viewsMatch82

Agree with the bulk of that but I didn't think Dunne had a great game. Lost possession a lot, didnt have the same kind of composure with the ball at the back that Dickie, Barbet and Jordy tend to. Different opinions I guess. And still optimistic about his long term future here
A few thoughts on tonights game on 08:04 - Sep 25 with 2857 viewsHooping_Mad

Nobody has mention the amount of times he's drifted offside and slowly wondered back. He killed the game for me. Don't want to see that in a hooped shirt again.

(from what I could see - edit)

Warbs needs to have a word.

Not blaming him for the result, but Chair best move came from Gray ignoring his pass as obviously still offside again.

No expert but if we are hitting it long doesn't that require a striker that will move about a bit? The ball just didn't stick.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2021 8:10]

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

A few thoughts on tonights game on 08:06 - Sep 25 with 2851 viewsHooping_Mad

Stefan pulled that hammy against Bristol, Amazed we played him to only make it worse.

Login to get fewer ads

A few thoughts on tonights game on 09:47 - Sep 25 with 2672 viewsSuperhoops2808

A few thoughts on tonights game on 01:02 - Sep 25 by ParkRoyalR

Agree about Moses, he was out of position on several occasions in his eagerness to push forward which worked when we had the ball but didnt track back quickly enough
A few thoughts on tonights game on 10:06 - Sep 25 with 2610 viewsdermyqpr

Disappointing result. Thought we would hold out for a Brizzies style win.
Agree that Odubajo had a much improved performance. As he was overrun leading up to the first goal (I think) he stepped out to defend and was bypassed. While attempting to get back he was deliberately blocked. Ref never saw it. I had written him off but if he can come up with performances like that then I'm happy to see him play.
Hoping Dukes-McKenna gets a tilt now with injuries. Gray was a surprise choice for me and just wondered if it will have an adverse response from Dykes (and likewise Charlie).
Think Dunne (though still learning) was good last night. Strong in the air. Not afraid to tackle.
We keep going.
A few thoughts on tonights game on 10:21 - Sep 25 with 2562 viewsHooping_Mad

Dunne seemed to be trying to play it on the deck more than others, didn't have a lot of luck though as not a lot stuck. Still seemed pretty solid at the back and was certainly up for it.

We seemed blessed with Tall CB's who are great in the air. Maybe we need an aggressive dwarf to balance things somewhat.

A few thoughts on tonights game on 14:21 - Sep 25 with 2313 viewsstainrods_elbow

A few thoughts on tonights game on 10:21 - Sep 25 by Hooping_Mad

Dunne seemed to be trying to play it on the deck more than others, didn't have a lot of luck though as not a lot stuck. Still seemed pretty solid at the back and was certainly up for it.

We seemed blessed with Tall CB's who are great in the air. Maybe we need an aggressive dwarf to balance things somewhat.

Maybe this sweet girl from Nic Roeg's 'Don't Look Now' could do the trick?

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

A few thoughts on tonights game on 14:29 - Sep 25 with 2317 viewsthemodfather

i felt qpr played well, gray had pace and chased hard, we defended well and it was played at a high tempo , sadly to me, we tired and the injuries forced subs and chair shot for 2-0 when maybe a pass across the box was better, they broke, mistake and 1-1 but remember Dieng made a worldie point blank save at 1-0, wba are favourites and had strength up front. not a disaster .
A few thoughts on tonights game (n/t) on 15:03 - Sep 25 with 2281 viewsPetros

A few thoughts on tonights game on 15:13 - Sep 25 with 2259 viewsNorthernr

Good opening post Myke, though I didn'[t think Willock was in the game at all so I could understand that change.

Ball didn't stick up front, and we weren't able to keep possession of it for long enough. It's the first time this season I've been really disappointed with us. It was almost like scoring after a minute was the worst thing we could have done.
A few thoughts on tonights game on 17:06 - Sep 25 with 2077 viewsPinnerPaul

A few thoughts on tonights game on 15:13 - Sep 25 by Northernr

Good opening post Myke, though I didn'[t think Willock was in the game at all so I could understand that change.

Ball didn't stick up front, and we weren't able to keep possession of it for long enough. It's the first time this season I've been really disappointed with us. It was almost like scoring after a minute was the worst thing we could have done.

and when was the last season it took until the 9th game to be 'really disappointed' with us?

Usually about the 9th minute of the 1st game!

'Need' 6 - 4 minimum - I would say from Brum and Forest though to get back on (play offs) track.
A few thoughts on tonights game on 11:13 - Sep 27 with 1755 viewsfrancisbowles

A few thoughts on tonights game on 15:13 - Sep 25 by Northernr

Taking a very early lead, especially away from home, puts you under enormous pressure. I bet you don't see many of those end up 1-0. Stating the obvious but you really need to add to your score.
A few thoughts on tonights game on 12:05 - Sep 27 with 1712 viewsdaveB

That Chair chance I think the pass to Dykes is not an easy one, they have several defenders back and needs to be inch perfect to roll between keeper and last defender for Dykes to score. He should have passed but taking the shot on from that position was understandable.
A few thoughts on tonights game on 12:13 - Sep 27 with 1702 viewsNorthernr

A few thoughts on tonights game on 12:05 - Sep 27 by daveB

That Chair chance I think the pass to Dykes is not an easy one, they have several defenders back and needs to be inch perfect to roll between keeper and last defender for Dykes to score. He should have passed but taking the shot on from that position was understandable.

In his defence, we were standing reasonably low down on that side of the goal, and we didn't even know Dykes was there or see him. Had to ask people who'd been watching on TV why he was getting so much grief for not passing.
A few thoughts on tonights game on 12:21 - Sep 27 with 1681 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

A few thoughts on tonights game on 12:05 - Sep 27 by daveB

I just watched this back in the highlights. First time i’ve seen it since the match. Would have been something else to pick out a pass after all that on his weaker side as well. It was the type of shot that was wrong. Low and hard cross shot would have been better but still not easy.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

A few thoughts on tonights game on 12:43 - Sep 27 with 1639 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

A few thoughts on tonights game on 12:21 - Sep 27 by CliveWilsonSaid

I just watched this back in the highlights. First time i’ve seen it since the match. Would have been something else to pick out a pass after all that on his weaker side as well. It was the type of shot that was wrong. Low and hard cross shot would have been better but still not easy.

Furthermore Chairs right toe just flicks the ball before the shot which changes the flight I think.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

A few thoughts on tonights game on 12:46 - Sep 27 with 1628 viewsPinnerPaul

A few thoughts on tonights game on 12:13 - Sep 27 by Northernr

In his defence, we were standing reasonably low down on that side of the goal, and we didn't even know Dykes was there or see him. Had to ask people who'd been watching on TV why he was getting so much grief for not passing.

Good point - its a very very easy game to play (and referee) watching the TV!
A few thoughts on tonights game on 22:13 - Sep 27 with 1501 viewsMyke

A few thoughts on tonights game on 12:13 - Sep 27 by Northernr

Yes but nobody taking into account here that Dykes was screaming for the ball. If Chair couldn't see him, he could certainly hear him!. Dykes reaction afterwards says it all. My point being in the original post that Chair would have taken the shot on regardless, he always does.
A few thoughts on tonights game on 22:56 - Sep 27 with 1474 viewsNorthernr

A few thoughts on tonights game on 22:13 - Sep 27 by Myke

Yes but nobody taking into account here that Dykes was screaming for the ball. If Chair couldn't see him, he could certainly hear him!. Dykes reaction afterwards says it all. My point being in the original post that Chair would have taken the shot on regardless, he always does.

That feels like another 'easy to say from up here' thing. How do you know who was screaming what? How do you know who can hear what? In a full football ground, through on goal, adrenalin pumping...
A few thoughts on tonights game on 23:16 - Sep 27 with 1459 viewsbob566

A few thoughts on tonights game on 22:56 - Sep 27 by Northernr

That feels like another 'easy to say from up here' thing. How do you know who was screaming what? How do you know who can hear what? In a full football ground, through on goal, adrenalin pumping...

This. If he passes and it goes astray then people will be saying why didn't he shoot.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024