Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chair 17:35 - Sep 25 with 3279 viewsstainrods_elbow

Really unfair, imo, the pelters he's been getting since Friday night. For me, he was one of our better players against the Baggies, could have had a goal (or made one for Dykes), and showed one or two classy twinkletoed moments, despite the fact so little was going through feet in our midfield. Far more deserving of criticism were the inadequate Ball and anonymous Jojo, which latter did anything but give us leadership. Willock also was disspiritingly quiet, after dazzling against Everton. It's not right he should be singled out, as so many were below-par.

For their winner, they did what they'd done most of the game, doubled up on him, and aggressively dispossessed him near the halfway line - he wasn't dallying - and he had no time to lay the ball off, if you actually watch the goal back. They attacked with pace and skill from there, the whole defence got pulled over, and Grant capitalised by dint of Kakay's poor positioning.

If we had a proper right back/right wing back working in tandem with a well-drilled defence, we'd probably have stopped at least half a dozen oppo goals this season - that's where the major issue right now, as it also was for their first, notwithstanding Seny's brainfart. I hope Warburton can sort it, as I fear neither Kakay nor Moses are up to it, and for me it's another reason to potentially start Uncle, which worked so well against Everton, so we're defending higher up.

I also thought Warbs got the subs wrong and wrongly timed - Jojo should have been hooked earlier, Willock should have stayed on, and I'd have introduced Uncle for Moses and Austin for Gray. I know hindsight is 20-20, but his 'fine margins' apply to him too.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Chair on 18:08 - Sep 25 with 2819 viewsrsonist

I missed the game but for what little it's worth I was pretty surprised to finally see highlights of a three man pressing dispossession on halfway and top quality counter at high speed for the winner. The Internet made it sound like Ilias had handed the game to them on a silver platter...
Chair on 19:19 - Sep 25 with 2679 viewsPhilmyRs

Chair on 18:08 - Sep 25 by rsonist

I missed the game but for what little it's worth I was pretty surprised to finally see highlights of a three man pressing dispossession on halfway and top quality counter at high speed for the winner. The Internet made it sound like Ilias had handed the game to them on a silver platter...

I thought Chair was one of the better players but for the last 10/15 of the game I thought he was woeful. Really below his usual standards.! Clearly doesn’t deserve “pelters” and one of the few that looked to get on the ball first 60 mins but still, after he missed that chance his performance level regressed badly. Jo jo much worse, looked like he was carrying something. Goalkeeper ultimately cost us.
Chair on 19:39 - Sep 25 with 2622 viewsNorthantsHoop

I really enjoy watching Chair he is a very good player, but he was culpable for West Brom's second goal. He was piddling about got swarmed and we paid the price. His constant turning back sometimes without laying a pass is frustrating and last night in my view cost us a point from the game.
Chair on 19:40 - Sep 25 with 2614 viewsswisscottage

Haters gonna hate.

For me Ilias is central to the way we play. However the last 30 minutes was his worst for us in a very long time but I blame Warbuton for that in taking off Willock who was the only other player on the pitch capable of holding onto the ball under pressure, and one of Chair's main outlets.

That being said he does frustrate with the amount of time he goes head down for goal when there are better options available if only he'd play with his head up. If he had he'd have crossed for Dykes, we'd probably have been 2-0 up and would have seen the game out.

I'm more frustrated with us gifting goals and letting teams back into games totally unnecessary. And in the last three games you could argue its been down to howlers from two of our best, most consistent players.
Chair on 19:45 - Sep 25 with 2577 viewsbosh67

Yes it's mental. No one will know more than Ilias about what he should have done but he'll learn from it and we move on.

I saw Dieng getting pelters as well. Ridiculous. More a mistake based on the momentum of the initial save. He paws it away and it hit his other arm as he slide across. These things happen. It looks bad but actually it's just unfortunate physics!

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Chair on 20:03 - Sep 25 with 2545 viewsconnell10

Chair on 19:45 - Sep 25 by bosh67

Yes it's mental. No one will know more than Ilias about what he should have done but he'll learn from it and we move on.

I saw Dieng getting pelters as well. Ridiculous. More a mistake based on the momentum of the initial save. He paws it away and it hit his other arm as he slide across. These things happen. It looks bad but actually it's just unfortunate physics!

Both young players learning their trade, just get off their backs ffs

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Chair on 20:20 - Sep 25 with 2501 viewsParkRoyalR

Chair on 19:40 - Sep 25 by swisscottage

Haters gonna hate.

For me Ilias is central to the way we play. However the last 30 minutes was his worst for us in a very long time but I blame Warbuton for that in taking off Willock who was the only other player on the pitch capable of holding onto the ball under pressure, and one of Chair's main outlets.

That being said he does frustrate with the amount of time he goes head down for goal when there are better options available if only he'd play with his head up. If he had he'd have crossed for Dykes, we'd probably have been 2-0 up and would have seen the game out.

I'm more frustrated with us gifting goals and letting teams back into games totally unnecessary. And in the last three games you could argue its been down to howlers from two of our best, most consistent players.

Missed two easy passes to Dykes last night as playing with his headown as usual, not hating but being realistic, this is a fundamental flaw for an attacking midfielder which our coaching team hav'nt yet remedied.
Chair on 20:40 - Sep 25 with 2441 viewsstainrods_elbow

I love Ilias, but it's right that the coaching hasn't got his head up, which is worrying and frustrating in equal measure. Just reading Pat Nevin's quirky and intelligent biography, and he makes the point that all the best players never need to look at the ball at their feet, which is how they 'read the game'. Chair needs to learn from this, if he can, to step up to the next level, which is currently good to very good Champ, but no more.

Login to get fewer ads

Chair on 20:42 - Sep 25 with 2430 viewsstainrods_elbow

Chair on 19:45 - Sep 25 by bosh67

Love this - every time Dieng or anyone drops a clanger now, we'll call it 'unfortunate physics'!

I suppse a physicist would say pretty much everything that goes wrong in life is down to 'unfortunate physics'.

Chair on 20:48 - Sep 25 with 2415 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Chair plays with his head up far, far more than he used to. He's learning.

He's a player with a huge future and one of our best players.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Chair on 22:27 - Sep 25 with 2286 viewszizoustainrod

Chair on 20:42 - Sep 25 by stainrods_elbow

Love this - every time Dieng or anyone drops a clanger now, we'll call it 'unfortunate physics'!

I suppse a physicist would say pretty much everything that goes wrong in life is down to 'unfortunate physics'.

Some could say that about the majority of your posts then
Chair on 23:27 - Sep 25 with 2203 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

MW used to substitute Chair a lot around the 70-80 minute mark. Much to the annoyance of some fans. It could only have been because Ilias tires quickly towards the end of a match on account of the way he plays. Sports science would have shown this. MW must want him to keep playing like that rather than to pace his effort and reduce his effectiveness. Chair is a key player.

Chair played 76 minutes against Everton and got robbed on 88 minutes for WBA's second goal. We had used our subs to deal with other issues. Without knowing why he chose Willock to come off nobody can say whether that was right or wrong. You just have to accept that the manager has a great deal more information than you have including real time stats on distance run, number and extent of sprints etc etc.
Chair on 00:16 - Sep 26 with 2152 viewsstainrods_elbow

Chair on 22:27 - Sep 25 by zizoustainrod

Some could say that about the majority of your posts then

Quite so - if they wanted!

What's with the blanket hostility, though?

Chair on 00:22 - Sep 26 with 2146 viewsstainrods_elbow

Chair on 20:20 - Sep 25 by ParkRoyalR

Missed two easy passes to Dykes last night as playing with his headown as usual, not hating but being realistic, this is a fundamental flaw for an attacking midfielder which our coaching team hav'nt yet remedied.

Agreed - it's facile to say it's 'hating'. It's constructive criticism, which is actually a function of fan love. Unless Ilias can attack with his eyes as well as his feet, not staring at his boots as he slaloms into the box, he won't get to the top.

It's so frustrating because he's a player with such a gift for a pass when he does, but for some reason he seems to drop his head whenever he's trying to score. If we can see it, why can't he and Warburton?

Chair on 00:41 - Sep 26 with 2123 viewsParkRoyalR

Chair on 00:22 - Sep 26 by stainrods_elbow

Agreed - it's facile to say it's 'hating'. It's constructive criticism, which is actually a function of fan love. Unless Ilias can attack with his eyes as well as his feet, not staring at his boots as he slaloms into the box, he won't get to the top.

It's so frustrating because he's a player with such a gift for a pass when he does, but for some reason he seems to drop his head whenever he's trying to score. If we can see it, why can't he and Warburton?

They no doubt do, but it's ingrained in a player and a very difficult flaw to remedy, unlike the need to take too many touches and slow the attack down - early cross into Austin the other night was sign of progress in this area.

Pat Nevin is right which is why players like Eze are on a completely different level, head-up, aware of other players movement + first time pass whether it's a perfect pass or not, just see it early, do it early and don't let the defence set or our early runners be caught offside as pass delayed too long.

Like the lad, works hard for the team but Adomah's far superior end product cannot be overlooked too much longer, neither can over-exposure of RWB, which Adomah could help resolve.
Chair on 01:56 - Sep 26 with 2089 viewsVancouverHoop

Chair on 00:22 - Sep 26 by stainrods_elbow

Some players seem to learn/acquire the ability to keep their head up at a very young age, some never. I guess it gets harder as you age.

One of the remarkable attributes of Alphonso Davies is that even as a fifteen-year-old he could run faster than most players and never look at the ball. I don't know when, or how long it took him to do it but it made his progression as a player that much quicker.
Chair on 02:07 - Sep 26 with 2083 viewsstainrods_elbow

Chair on 00:41 - Sep 26 by ParkRoyalR

They no doubt do, but it's ingrained in a player and a very difficult flaw to remedy, unlike the need to take too many touches and slow the attack down - early cross into Austin the other night was sign of progress in this area.

Pat Nevin is right which is why players like Eze are on a completely different level, head-up, aware of other players movement + first time pass whether it's a perfect pass or not, just see it early, do it early and don't let the defence set or our early runners be caught offside as pass delayed too long.

Like the lad, works hard for the team but Adomah's far superior end product cannot be overlooked too much longer, neither can over-exposure of RWB, which Adomah could help resolve.

Spot on! Eze moving on won't have helped with Chair's development, though the latter has formed a lovely partnership with Willock.

I don't see why coaching can't help Ilias to improve his all-round game vision - it should, or he needs a different coach. Otherwise, we'd just have to accept he can't improve further, which I don't believe, as he has already progressed so much and he has the talent. He should also be learning a lot from playing alongside Adel for Morocco, whose ability to execute visionary passing and score peerless goals we all know about.

In other business, the r/b +r/w/b issue is, I agree, pressing. I understand that MW may feel he can't press Uncle into that role on a regular 90 minute basis, but playing him so sparingly is also hampering the quality of our delivery into the box, not to mention his ability to tie full backs in knots. He needs to be starting at least some home games, I think, and I would play him against both Brum and Preston. Dykes and/or Charlie will be guaranteed a minimum 3-5 chances a game, and his training can be moderated accordingly.

Chair on 10:46 - Sep 26 with 1835 viewsfrancisbowles

Having watched Albert at rwb against Everton, I don't think it was a success. He lacks a defenders instinct and he was robbed of possession several times. It was only when we brought on Kakay after an hour and moved Adomah forward, that he started to have an impact on the game.

We have also previously seen Albert start one or two games and I think his performance level has been far below that which he usually provides as a substitute.

Chair, as Brian has pointed out, does play with his head up more than he used to. Obviously, a result of it being pointed out by our coaching team and worked on. He needs to keep practising this as it takes a long time to change a habit. He was trying to manage the game by keeping hold of the ball but unfortunately he was robbed of it ........

I think we need to keep working with Moses and Osman to keep improving their role as our rwbs. Moses btw, was taken out by a trip on the edge of the area when trying to get back during the move for their second goal. Something that was missed by the officials and totally ignored by any analysis that I have heard. I'm not saying he would have got back to make a tackle BUT a foul is a foul in my view.

Lwb is our major problem at present. Barbet was much less effective there. If neither Lee or Sam are going to be available and if De Wijs has another enforced rest then our options on Tuesday are even more limited.

As for the substitutions, I would agree Johansen should have been subbed earlier but I think Dykes was going to be a better replacement than Charlie in a bid to hold a lead and with enforced changes to a defence already I wouldn't have wanted to make another and ended up with Adomah outside Kakay.
Chair on 10:51 - Sep 26 with 1815 viewsParkRoyalR

Chair on 10:46 - Sep 26 by francisbowles

Having watched Albert at rwb against Everton, I don't think it was a success. He lacks a defenders instinct and he was robbed of possession several times. It was only when we brought on Kakay after an hour and moved Adomah forward, that he started to have an impact on the game.

We have also previously seen Albert start one or two games and I think his performance level has been far below that which he usually provides as a substitute.

Chair, as Brian has pointed out, does play with his head up more than he used to. Obviously, a result of it being pointed out by our coaching team and worked on. He needs to keep practising this as it takes a long time to change a habit. He was trying to manage the game by keeping hold of the ball but unfortunately he was robbed of it ........

I think we need to keep working with Moses and Osman to keep improving their role as our rwbs. Moses btw, was taken out by a trip on the edge of the area when trying to get back during the move for their second goal. Something that was missed by the officials and totally ignored by any analysis that I have heard. I'm not saying he would have got back to make a tackle BUT a foul is a foul in my view.

Lwb is our major problem at present. Barbet was much less effective there. If neither Lee or Sam are going to be available and if De Wijs has another enforced rest then our options on Tuesday are even more limited.

As for the substitutions, I would agree Johansen should have been subbed earlier but I think Dykes was going to be a better replacement than Charlie in a bid to hold a lead and with enforced changes to a defence already I wouldn't have wanted to make another and ended up with Adomah outside Kakay.

Agree,

Adomah is'nt a RWB imo but is an absolute neccessity to play in front of Kakay if Kakay (who is a decent squad player imo, similar to Ball) is needed to play RWB.

Kakay's positional play is very poor as seen with 2nd WBA goal and when in possession he needs an option to pass down the line as without Adomah (versus Bournemouth) he coughed up possession too easy when pressed.
Chair on 14:52 - Sep 26 with 1714 viewsbaz_qpr

Yes he lost the ball, but we should still not be conceding from there. Even the best keepers in the world make mistakes.

I think come January we will go for a RWB on loan.

Desperately need Field back too.

Taking Willock off instead of Gray for Dykes was a mistake too
Chair on 17:21 - Sep 26 with 1630 viewsgolborne

Chair on 23:27 - Sep 25 by Spaghetti_Hoops

MW used to substitute Chair a lot around the 70-80 minute mark. Much to the annoyance of some fans. It could only have been because Ilias tires quickly towards the end of a match on account of the way he plays. Sports science would have shown this. MW must want him to keep playing like that rather than to pace his effort and reduce his effectiveness. Chair is a key player.

Chair played 76 minutes against Everton and got robbed on 88 minutes for WBA's second goal. We had used our subs to deal with other issues. Without knowing why he chose Willock to come off nobody can say whether that was right or wrong. You just have to accept that the manager has a great deal more information than you have including real time stats on distance run, number and extent of sprints etc etc.

Chair runs more than any player on the pitch, so he’s kept on for his engine. He held onto it too long because there were no options and the more he tried to find one the tighter the net became. I’ll agree that he should have slid the ball across for dykes, but that would have been a blind cross in the hope that somebody would be coming in on the far post. There was a small gap between 2 players and dykes was coming from behind him, so he wouldn’t have been able to see him. That said, I quite like a blind flash across the box if it’s into the right area. You need to gamble that your team mates are doing their job.
I have to disagree with Brian. He isn’t one of our best players, he is our best and most important player by some distance and I actually think he’s improving Willock, who is buying into his work rate. He doesn’t do it as much as chair, but Willock is now working hard the other way when teams break on us. We’re blessed to have both of them and my biggest fear is that if we don’t get promoted this year (if we can regain our 2021 form pre September we have every chance of making the 2, let alone play offs) this will be the last season you watch them in the blessed hoops. Probably Dickie, too.
Chair on 18:01 - Sep 26 with 1575 viewsPinnerPaul

Errors not allowed in some weird 'perfect' world that some live in.

(Sort of) related, but loved this response from a referee to a player after he moaned about a 'mistake'

"You're not Ronaldo, and I'm not Michael Oliver"
Chair on 10:00 - Sep 27 with 1360 viewsqprphil

No point picking on individual players, they are doing the best they can. After a long time I think we have a TEAM we can be proud of, yes a bit depressing as to the last few results but, that luck will change at some point. When I see that players aren't giving it everything, that's the time I'll have a moan.
Chair on 10:13 - Sep 27 with 1319 viewsJordanFoster

Probably late to the party on this now, but really been taken back by how much stick Chair has solelyly taken for this.

I have a screenshot, but not sure how to post, however at the moment Barbet chooses to pass to Chair, he has two men directly behind him stopping him from turning. Barbet can see that, Chair cannot. The right pass is either inside to Ball or straight down the line (like they had done all game) for Gray to chase.

But because of Barbet's fancy nutmeg seconds before, he's playing on ego and instead of holding his run, starts marauding forward. Chair can't let the ball run across him because Livermore is so close, so he has to come the way the ball has been played with now the three WBA and the nutmegged defender closing in on him. Had Barbet had stayed, he probably could have poked it back to him for an inevitable punt away regardless.

I know it's been mentioned as well but Kakay's positioning could be better and there's a lot of work to do before the ball hits the back of the net which I know has been mentioned. Just thought I'd throw my two-pence in.
Chair on 11:28 - Sep 27 with 1230 viewsParkRoyalR

Chair on 17:21 - Sep 26 by golborne

Chair runs more than any player on the pitch, so he’s kept on for his engine. He held onto it too long because there were no options and the more he tried to find one the tighter the net became. I’ll agree that he should have slid the ball across for dykes, but that would have been a blind cross in the hope that somebody would be coming in on the far post. There was a small gap between 2 players and dykes was coming from behind him, so he wouldn’t have been able to see him. That said, I quite like a blind flash across the box if it’s into the right area. You need to gamble that your team mates are doing their job.
I have to disagree with Brian. He isn’t one of our best players, he is our best and most important player by some distance and I actually think he’s improving Willock, who is buying into his work rate. He doesn’t do it as much as chair, but Willock is now working hard the other way when teams break on us. We’re blessed to have both of them and my biggest fear is that if we don’t get promoted this year (if we can regain our 2021 form pre September we have every chance of making the 2, let alone play offs) this will be the last season you watch them in the blessed hoops. Probably Dickie, too.

Agree to differ on this Golborne, really appreciate his work rate but his inability to play with his head-up means he rarely sees an early pass, which is why its not uncommon to see the forwards react as Gray did on Friday night when he went ape-shit waiting for an obvious early pass.

Like the lad alot, but one of those I've always felt a majority of our fan base have over-rated, many comparing favourably to Eze when he's not on the same ball-park imo.

We struggle to retain possession in the final 3rd without him but would suggest Adomah creates significantly more chances in probably a third of the minutes on the pitch.

I think coaching can + must fix the early pass reluctance as can be seen with that superb cross for Austin, he does n't lack for control, technique or ball-striking.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024