Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… 20:32 - Oct 12 with 12339 viewsjoe90

I watched a really good documentary about Nirvana’s first UK tour and it got me thinking about how all the great bands stated life doing small gigs and for the fans attending it must have been a great buzz being at the start of something special.

So which great bands/artist have you seen play live either at the beginning of their career or in their prime?

I’m sure some of you must have some great stories.

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 13:13 - Oct 13 with 1969 viewsEsox_Lucius

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 09:44 - Oct 13 by dmm

Excellent thread. Great gigs always stay with us.

As others have said there are too many to list but here's four that are certainly up there for me:

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon tour at Earls Court, May 1973. Even sat at the back of that cavernous venue it was a massive spectacle which included a flying plane crashing onto the stage.
Dr Feelgood - The Windsor Castle, Harrow, September 1974. Still to this day, I've never been to a gig with such an electric atmosphere as this one.
Yellowjackets - Ronnie Scotts, November 2011. Classy jazz in a classy venue with my lovely family.
Punch Brothers - Barbican, November 2018. Genre bending progressive acoustic bluegrass band using just one mic in London's most comfortable concert hall.

Wasn't the plane crashing into a wall they had been building from the start of the gig an integral part of The Wall live?

The grass is always greener.

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 13:25 - Oct 13 with 1949 viewsNorthantsHoop

Led Zeppelin when I was 15. Went to the first of their two massive Knebworth gigs on 4th August 1979. Have seen many great bands, but this was iconic just being there watching the gods of heavy rock.
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 14:23 - Oct 13 with 1886 viewsdmm

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 13:13 - Oct 13 by Esox_Lucius

Wasn't the plane crashing into a wall they had been building from the start of the gig an integral part of The Wall live?

I didn't see the Wall tour so I don't know if they did the plane crash then. I am sure the two 1973 Dark Side concerts at Earls Court was the first time they did that.
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 14:26 - Oct 13 with 1884 viewsR_from_afar

- Kings X in a sports hall in Milton Keynes some time in the 90s: An amazing gig, powerful songs played with passion. I sung myself hoarse.

- Porcupine Tree at The Old Trout in Windsor, again, in the 90s: A crowded pub backroom with no more than 100 people max. I had no inkling that they would go on to be huge.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 14:41 - Oct 13 with 1875 viewscyprusmel

Bands- Who and Yardbirds at Richmond Jazz and Blues festival.
Individual- Chuck Berry at Dunstable Locarno.
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 15:06 - Oct 13 with 1862 viewsCFW

Was taken by my parents along with my sister to see The Beatles, I was only about 10 at the time but I still remember that night as if it were yesterday. I could not hear a bloody word for the screaming which went on for the entire show. Supporting them were the Yardbirds who were a brilliant band.

In my late teens I was into Free big time and still say, in my opinion, Paul Rogers is the best singer that has come out of the UK. Lucky enough to have seen them a couple of times but the best by a mile was at a very small pub called the Kings Head in Romford who had a hall at the back. They were brilliant that night even though two of them were totally off their heads.

Edgar Broughton at the Roundhouse was quite something - playing 'Out Demons Out' while the place was being smashed up by a group of bikers, no real bouncers them days!! Queen at Wembley was also excellent.
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 15:48 - Oct 13 with 1846 viewswood_hoop

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 22:04 - Oct 12 by supahoopsa

The Jam, Brighton, December 1982. Their very last gig.
Although saying that the atmosphere was pretty hostile as there were many there angry at the split

I got dragged by a mate to see them at a pub when they had just started out, West Hampstead Birds Nest I think it was, were doing Motown covers or sounded like them, memory like a goldfish at times now, do remember saying to my mate, 'Not bad'but doubt they will come too much'.

So much for my mussical expertise...........
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 16:12 - Oct 13 with 1821 viewswood_hoop

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 08:56 - Oct 13 by toboboly

I'll also add Edwin Starr in around '97 - immense

Not quite the greatest gig maybe, but he was doing a promo tour in early 70's and was booked to appeear at the Tottenham Royale and being a Soul Boy couldn't miss the chance to see him, was the winter and the weather was real grim, set out and the streets were covered in thick snow, not a vehicle on the roads, got to the Royal and was surprised it had not been cancelled.

,He came on stage to an audience of about twenty of us diehards, went through a few songs and then came to 'War' his big big hit,.

Had us all singing and dancing along with him with real gusto, barely enough of us to fit in a decent sized lounge but he still give it plenty when it should have been a crowd of many hundreds, I did ask one of his staff why he did not cancel, I was told if we could make the effort to come out the least he could do was give us a show.

Man was a real star......
Login to get fewer ads

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 16:21 - Oct 13 with 1808 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 16:12 - Oct 13 by wood_hoop

Not quite the greatest gig maybe, but he was doing a promo tour in early 70's and was booked to appeear at the Tottenham Royale and being a Soul Boy couldn't miss the chance to see him, was the winter and the weather was real grim, set out and the streets were covered in thick snow, not a vehicle on the roads, got to the Royal and was surprised it had not been cancelled.

,He came on stage to an audience of about twenty of us diehards, went through a few songs and then came to 'War' his big big hit,.

Had us all singing and dancing along with him with real gusto, barely enough of us to fit in a decent sized lounge but he still give it plenty when it should have been a crowd of many hundreds, I did ask one of his staff why he did not cancel, I was told if we could make the effort to come out the least he could do was give us a show.

Man was a real star......

The old rule applies - if the audience outnumbers the band you have to give it socks.

Btw - I'm very envious. He was supposed to be incredible live.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2021 16:25]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 16:37 - Oct 13 with 1789 viewsted_hendrix

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 09:16 - Oct 13 by BrianMcCarthy

"The Dubliners were superb at Southampton and Guildford."

Ted,

The Dubliners were booked to play in our family's hotel/club in West Cork back in the 80's. Professionals to a man, they all arrived suited and booted many hours in advance. Except for Ronnie Drew who, rumour had it, hadn't managed to pass the first bar on the way into our town. My Dad dispatched two men to haul him from the pub, give him a room, and put him to bed to sober up.

That night, there was no sign of Ronnie in the club or in our hotel and the crowd were baying for the long-overdue headline act. He was tracked down to a bed in a neighbouring hotel. This time, Dad didn't subcontract the job. He calmly walked into the neighbouring hotel, got his room number, kicked the door down, hauled Ronnie from the bed and dumped him into a cold bath.

A newly minted Ronnie was on stage soon after.

I asked my Dad many years later if Ronnie played well.

"No. He was shite".
[Post edited 13 Oct 2021 10:53]

Nice story Brian but your Dad must have been a hard sod to take on Ronnie Drew, he was some big bloke and not the sort I would have stood in a bar arguing with for more than 8 seconds .

Whilst not on the subject RIP Paddy Moloney.

Anyone on here ever see The Saw Doctors? Me and the Missus saw them at Shepherd's Bush yonks ago, were okay but nothing special whereas my Missus thought they were great.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 16:45 - Oct 13 with 1784 viewsjoe90

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 21:37 - Oct 12 by queensparker

Loads spring to mind, probably forgotten a few!

Saw Oasis in their early years a few times including the Duchess of York in Leeds which was basically a pub, clear even then they were going to be massive.

My Morning Jacket in 2001 in east London somewhere blew me away, didn’t know much about them and have loved them ever since.

Saw Sonic Youth a lot around the Dirty album period, had to go on my tod as nobody else was interested, I loved them back then. Brilliant live band.

The Rollercoaster tour in 1991 at Brixton Academy which was Blur, Jesus and Mary Chain, My Bloody Valentine and Dinosaur Jr, what a line up a deafening night out that was.

Always remember seeing Inspiral Carpets in Subterrania in Ladbroke Grove as I had a Rangers top on, me and mates teamed up with another QPR fan to nick all the backstage beer and we handed it out to the crowd, he got thrown out but I managed to escape.

Lyn Collins of James Brown fame at the Jazz Cafe.

Chemical Brothers just after they changed their name from Dust Brothers at Leeds. Left field at Brixton around the same time which was the loudest gig I’ve ever been to.

The Specials in Hammersmith the day I got engaged.

Man I’ve missed live music.

The Rollercoaster tour in 1991 at Brixton Academy which was Blur, Jesus and Mary Chain, My Bloody Valentine and Dinosaur Jr, what a line up a deafening night out that was.

Wow, what an incredible line-up!
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 16:45 - Oct 13 with 1783 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 16:37 - Oct 13 by ted_hendrix

Nice story Brian but your Dad must have been a hard sod to take on Ronnie Drew, he was some big bloke and not the sort I would have stood in a bar arguing with for more than 8 seconds .

Anyone on here ever see The Saw Doctors? Me and the Missus saw them at Shepherd's Bush yonks ago, were okay but nothing special whereas my Missus thought they were great.

Ya, my Dad was (is!) a big man. Boxer, too, as a youth.

RIP Paddy Moloney as you say. Serious talent. Played with the best of them - O'Riada, Zappa, Jagger, Stevie Wonder, and hundreds more.

Jesus, I hate The Saw Doctors!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 16:51 - Oct 13 with 1761 viewsMrSheen

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 14:26 - Oct 13 by R_from_afar

- Kings X in a sports hall in Milton Keynes some time in the 90s: An amazing gig, powerful songs played with passion. I sung myself hoarse.

- Porcupine Tree at The Old Trout in Windsor, again, in the 90s: A crowded pub backroom with no more than 100 people max. I had no inkling that they would go on to be huge.

Ummmmm, am I the only person here who hadn't heard of either of those? Sorry RFA, I'm sure they're great!
[Post edited 13 Oct 2021 21:30]
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 16:57 - Oct 13 with 1749 viewsted_hendrix

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 12:09 - Oct 13 by dmm

I was listening to Free over the weekend having been asked about them by one of my sons. Then had an extended conversation on my WhatsApp QPR mates group on what a bloody good band they were. Really regret never seeing them live.

They were brilliant no question about that, unfortunately when me and the Missus saw them at Bracknell they were way-way late on stage, we didn't know why at the time but found out later that Paul Kossoff was slowly succumbing to his heroin addiction. I saw an interview with Paul Rogers a long time ago and he said they couldn't get Paul Kossoff straight and sometimes before a gig he'd be laid out back stage in a mess.

Paul Kossoff with his Gibson Les Paul Standard was a top ten blues guitarist, dead at the age of 26.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 17:36 - Oct 13 with 1701 viewsderbyhoop

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 11:21 - Oct 13 by BostonR

Dec - 1977 - Status Quo, Tour: Rockin' All Over the World, Hammersmith Odeon. They were a brilliant rock band - no-one could touch them.
Feb - 1978 - The Sweet, Hammersmith Odeon. Played for 2.5hrs. great songs!
Oct - 1978 - Ramones, Hammersmith Odeon. Fecking mental.
Nov - 1978 - AC/DC, Tour: If You Want Blood , Hammersmith Odeon. Brilliant and LOUD.
Jan - 1979 - Rory Gallagher, : Hammersmith Odeon. The Master & Commander guitar player.
Feb - 1979 - UFO, Tour: Strangers in the Night , Hammersmith Odeon. At their peak.
Dec - 1979 - AC/DC, Tour: Highway to Hell , Hammersmith Odeon. Bon was majestic.
Oct - 1980 - Budgie, Tour: Power Supply , Hammersmith Odeon. They should have been huge.
Oct -1981 - ZZ Top, Tour: El Loco-Motion , Venue: Hammersmith Odeon. Incredible show - they were out of this world.
Dec -1982 - U2, - Lyceum Ballroom, London. They just went for it!
July - 1985 - Bruce Springsteen, Tour: Born in the U.S.A. Wembley Stadium. 3hr show.
July 1986 - Queen, Wembley Stadium. Freddie was on fire.
July- 1988 - Prince, Lovesexy Tour, Wembley Arena. Genius at work.

Nothing memorable in last 33 years?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 17:39 - Oct 13 with 1697 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Band-Maid 5 years ago today for their first official UK tour date at the Camden Underworld.

Arch Enemy on the 'Wages of Sin' Tour at the Camden Underworld before they got huge.
Angela let the front row touch her tits at the end which was great for them but even with my long arms 3 rows back I couldn't reach.

Megadeth at the Astoria in 2007

Epica at the Elysee Monmartre Paris (sp) in 2010 with Markize and Kells

ACDC at Wembley Arena in the late 90's. Angus was on fire (not literally)

Metallica Earls Court 1996 and Download 2012

These spring to mind off the top of my head.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 18:11 - Oct 13 with 1663 viewsHAYESBOY

Prince by a country mile really.

Back in 86 - 87 - 88 he was unbelievable.

Parade tour in 86 is my favourite.

Other mentions are Stevie Wonder, The Police (83 & 07), Earth, Wind & Fire (87).

Never got to see James Brown, but I am guessing this would be high up on my list.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 20:42 - Oct 13 with 1584 viewsBostonR

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 17:36 - Oct 13 by derbyhoop

Nothing memorable in last 33 years?

Made me laugh! The 70’s and 80’s were great for live music and I literally went to hundreds of shows. Recent shows that could have made my list are:
Heaven and Hell - great musicians.
Volbeat at Rock Am Ring - really different.
Halford - really enjoyed that version of Rob Halford.
Sleep Token - haven’t seen them yet.
Tool - Download 2020.
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 21:01 - Oct 13 with 1574 viewsqueensparker

Reading this top thread reminded me of a few more:

Orbital at Glastonbury a couple of times in early 90s, the greatest live dance band at a festival when you’re in the right frame of mind ever IMO. Belfast still gets me every time

James at Brixton at the height of the Manchester thing, they were amazing live

Stone Roses on the Love Spreads tour - Reni had left by then but it was the first time they’d played live in about five years and the atmosphere was incredible

Guru and his Jazzmataz band in Bradford - hardly anyone there but they put on a proper show, loads of real players, about the same amount of people on the stage as off it
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 21:28 - Oct 13 with 1533 viewsPeterHucker

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 18:11 - Oct 13 by HAYESBOY

Prince by a country mile really.

Back in 86 - 87 - 88 he was unbelievable.

Parade tour in 86 is my favourite.

Other mentions are Stevie Wonder, The Police (83 & 07), Earth, Wind & Fire (87).

Never got to see James Brown, but I am guessing this would be high up on my list.

Saw James Brown play at V Festival in 1999. I'm sorry to say it was a bit shít.

His band (who were great musicians of course) playing the Sex Machine groove for about half an hour & getting us to repeatedly chant his name.
Occasionally JB would come out onto the stage, say "get up" a couple of times, do the splits & then fück off again.

Hardest working man in showbusiness my arse.
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 21:47 - Oct 13 with 1521 viewsPeterHucker

In the lockdown last year I made a spreadsheet of all the gigs I've seen since the first one (The Alarm, Southampton Gaumont 1985)
Turns out I've seen well over a thousand so picking a favourite is pretty impossible really.

Lots of the gigs seen during formative teenage years left a massive impression and I can still remember loads of details of gigs by 10000 Maniacs / Pogues / Style Council / Depeche Mode / Green On Red / Five Thirty / Sugarcubes / Big Audio Dynamite / Flowered Up / Pixies / Inspiral Carpets / Waterboys etc.

Others that come to mind.....

Johnny Cash, Shepherds Bush Empire 1994
Manic St Preachers, Manchester Apollo 2010
Radiohead, Olympia Theatre Dublin 2001
Radiohead again, Le Zenith, Paris 1997
Scotty Moore & DJ Fontana (Elvis Presley's guitarist & drummer), Mean Fiddler Harlesden, 1999
Ezra Furman, Ritz Manchester 2016
Sinead O’Connor, Guildford Civic Hall 2002
Every Bruce Springsteen gig I've seen but in particular Ricoh Arena Coventry 2013
The Burning Hell, Deaf Institute Manchester 2019
Tindersticks, Bloomsbury Theatre 1995
Super Furry Animals, Brixton Academy 1999

and loads of gigs by The Wedding Present & Elvis Costello, the 2 bands I've seen the most (30ish times each)
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 21:57 - Oct 13 with 1506 viewsSydneyRs

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 16:37 - Oct 13 by ted_hendrix

Yeah I saw the Saw Doctors at the Albert Hall late 90s. Enjoyed it but not particularly memorable.
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 00:05 - Oct 14 with 1445 viewsBedford_R

Earth, Wind and Fire. Wembley Arena. 1982. Absolutely brilliant.
Whitney Houston. Wembley Arena. Before she succumbed to her drug habit and sang better than anybody else on the planet.

RMH_R Reborn

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 00:41 - Oct 14 with 1432 viewshamptonhillhoop

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 21:37 - Oct 12 by queensparker

Loads spring to mind, probably forgotten a few!

Saw Oasis in their early years a few times including the Duchess of York in Leeds which was basically a pub, clear even then they were going to be massive.

My Morning Jacket in 2001 in east London somewhere blew me away, didn’t know much about them and have loved them ever since.

Saw Sonic Youth a lot around the Dirty album period, had to go on my tod as nobody else was interested, I loved them back then. Brilliant live band.

Always remember seeing Inspiral Carpets in Subterrania in Ladbroke Grove as I had a Rangers top on, me and mates teamed up with another QPR fan to nick all the backstage beer and we handed it out to the crowd, he got thrown out but I managed to escape.

Lyn Collins of James Brown fame at the Jazz Cafe.

Chemical Brothers just after they changed their name from Dust Brothers at Leeds. Left field at Brixton around the same time which was the loudest gig I’ve ever been to.

The Specials in Hammersmith the day I got engaged.

Man I’ve missed live music.

I saw the inspiral carpets at subterranea. Was it a secret gig early 90's. I obviously missed the free beer though!

Saw The Smiths last ever gig at Brixton Academy in December 86. Such a great live band.

Blur at Shepherds Bush Empire on the Parklife tour in 94 were also very good. A band on top of their game at that time.

Honourable mention to Pulp at Glastonbury in 95
[Post edited 14 Oct 2021 0:48]
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 08:17 - Oct 14 with 1360 viewsSMBRANGER

The Beatles 4th January 1955 Hammersmith Odean
The Rolling Stones and The Animals Student Rag Ball 20th November 1964 (The Animals were by far the best band on the night, blew The Stones away)
Little Stevie Wonder California Ballroom Dunstable around 64/65/66
The Who The Links Youth Club Borehamwood can't remember the date.
Seen hundreds of concerts but for atmosphere hard to beat Status Quo whom have seen six times.
My favourite past time live concerts and loftus road (Best atmosphere at a match I attended, Qpr V Oldham it was incredible even before the kickoff)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024