Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wasn't it about this time last year.... 13:40 - Nov 30 with 6194 viewsTheChef

that we were on a bad run and some people were calling for Warburton to go?

Amazing what a difference twelve months make.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 17:08 - Nov 30 with 1876 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 17:04 - Nov 30 by nix

You were one of the few dissenters Bazz. I think iI'd stopped reading the forum for a while as I didn't post at all on that thread.

Thanks Nix.

It is about time someone recognised my genius.
Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 17:14 - Nov 30 with 1856 viewslarsricchi

Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 17:04 - Nov 30 by nix

You were one of the few dissenters Bazz. I think iI'd stopped reading the forum for a while as I didn't post at all on that thread.

I just scrolled through all 11 pages of that thread to see if I had said anything (I had not, which I'll chalk up as lucky for me). Woof. That was not a fun skim.

The Jan 2021 window was one hell of a pivot. Captain Obvious, I suppose, but it's worth the reiteration.
Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 17:20 - Nov 30 with 1821 viewsMick_S

Right. Who’s opening the ice box then?

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 17:25 - Nov 30 with 1790 viewskensalriser

Sacking Warburton at that time was my greatest fear, more than relegation even, as I thought it would inevitably lead to another death spiral of poor/inappropriate managers. Huge credit to the board for recognising the problems correctly and making the right call.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 17:34 - Nov 30 with 1741 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 17:25 - Nov 30 by kensalriser

Sacking Warburton at that time was my greatest fear, more than relegation even, as I thought it would inevitably lead to another death spiral of poor/inappropriate managers. Huge credit to the board for recognising the problems correctly and making the right call.

It is extremely expensive to sack a manager these days.

I am certain that if he didn’t have a huge termination fee (I presume he has) then he would have gone, and as you say, the death spiral continued.
Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 17:38 - Nov 30 with 1720 viewsterryb

Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 17:14 - Nov 30 by larsricchi

I just scrolled through all 11 pages of that thread to see if I had said anything (I had not, which I'll chalk up as lucky for me). Woof. That was not a fun skim.

The Jan 2021 window was one hell of a pivot. Captain Obvious, I suppose, but it's worth the reiteration.

I've just done the same & was very happy that I hadn't participated! At that time I definitely didn't visit the board too much because of all the negativity.

What a good decision is was to keep Mark Warburton!
Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 17:41 - Nov 30 with 1718 viewsCiderwithRsie

Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 17:25 - Nov 30 by kensalriser

Yep.

I could understand why sensible people were worried or wanted him gone, but I hated that run of managers from Hughes to Warbs - not all of the actual managers, (though some of them) but the way we kept changing them.

Plus I always thought he had the right approach, it was just the constraints of working with so little money.

I might as well say now that if we don't go up, I still like what he's doing with the club - the way we play, the way he and the players conduct themselves, the improvement you see in almost every player we sign.
Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 17:50 - Nov 30 with 1694 viewsQPROslo

I seem to remember a poll, not sure if it was on here or 606, but think only about 30% of voters wanted him out.. Think he has always done a very good job myself with until this year anyway not a lot of funds available.
Login to get fewer ads

Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 17:51 - Nov 30 with 1691 viewsdaveB

I thought he should go after the Swansea defeat but had no idea who we would have brought in, he looked finished then as did Ferdinand to be honest, wasn't just results it was way we lot Manning and was about to lose Bright they just seem to be trying to survive than have any ambition to improve, we were losing the same way every week nothing changed. Those January signings changed everything and Warburton has come out the other side a much better and more flexible manager imo
Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 18:55 - Nov 30 with 1604 viewsPunteR

What do us football fans know aye..?

I think the real moral of the story is don't post anything after a few sherbets, a bad day at the office or after we lose a game of football for the hundredth time in a row cos Bazza of Pinner will drag it out in the broad daylight to point at.
Although I for one am pretty disgusted at some of those posts. How dare they get all emotional and formulate opinions about where the club is going wrong!. Awful fan behaviour.!

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 19:05 - Nov 30 with 1603 viewsTacticalR

Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 17:50 - Nov 30 by QPROslo

I seem to remember a poll, not sure if it was on here or 606, but think only about 30% of voters wanted him out.. Think he has always done a very good job myself with until this year anyway not a lot of funds available.

It was on here. It was actually posted on the same day as the For God's Sake Go thread (19th December 2020), the day we drew with Wycombe.

Even though we hadn't won a game for more than a month and things weren't looking good, 66% said Warbs should stay:
https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/266540

Air hostess clique

Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 19:06 - Nov 30 with 1600 viewsthemodfather

yep, thought he had done all he can, results were poor and felt a new boss might have an impact. we kept him and he and the staff turned it around, so well done the boardroom for stiicking. where might we be if the board had not panicked after the mk dons draw and fans sang ¬"sort it out" NOT WARNOCK OUT????
Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 21:13 - Nov 30 with 1521 viewsmcqpr10

I remember that Swansea defeat well. Didn't put up a fight at home. Felt he was in massive trouble, and wouldn't of blamed the club if they pulled the trigger. All the problems for me stemmed from Bonne and dykes being so inexperienced up front and being expected to lead the line. That's why Charlie coming in was pivotal. He has attitude and experience which spread through the team.
Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 10:38 - Dec 1 with 1371 viewsTheChef

Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 17:38 - Nov 30 by terryb

I've just done the same & was very happy that I hadn't participated! At that time I definitely didn't visit the board too much because of all the negativity.

What a good decision is was to keep Mark Warburton!

Classic stuff from LBlock there

Not seen them post for a while - is it because we are doing well?

Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 11:18 - Dec 1 with 1330 viewsAntti_Heinola

Didn't want him gone, but there was a point, maybe after Swansea, where I was expecting it. But let's not get too smug. We all know that two or three defeats on the spin (which will happen this season again) will have people doubting again and wanting big changes and the posters who have gone very quiet will all be flooding back.
Amazing how much there is about poor recruitment - completely the opposite only 6 months later. 'club is dying' 'in decay' etc etc. I'd forgotten quite how bad it was. But a result at Norwich, change of system, some loan signings, and a year on we have one of the best records in the country in the calendar year. It's almost as if we football fans don't know as much as we think we do ;)

Bare bones.

Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 11:19 - Dec 1 with 1330 viewsnix

Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 10:38 - Dec 1 by TheChef

Classic stuff from LBlock there

Not seen them post for a while - is it because we are doing well?

There's a few we haven't heard from. Shout out for anyone who's turned their opinion round and is still posting. I can quite understand why people lost the faith a bit a year ago but so glad the board decided to give Mark more time and to back him with some cash.
Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 11:24 - Dec 1 with 1320 viewswestberksr

Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 14:19 - Nov 30 by BrianMcCarthy

Yep.

I was one of those who felt it might be time for a change. I regret that now. In my case I think it was mid-December that I began to feel that.

The change to a back three, the time on the training pitch and then the loan signings produced an incredible turnaround. Fair play to all concerned.

Couldn't be happier for them all, as management and players all come across so sound and so ethical.

Brian

there were justifiably loads thinking along similar lines; myself included. It was a very poor run and it was his squad so regardless of hindsight, managers have gone for less.

Delighted for him & the squad that it turned around; he always seemed like a decent bloke but that doesn't keep you in a job in football
Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 11:34 - Dec 1 with 1300 viewsE17hoop

Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 11:24 - Dec 1 by westberksr

Brian

there were justifiably loads thinking along similar lines; myself included. It was a very poor run and it was his squad so regardless of hindsight, managers have gone for less.

Delighted for him & the squad that it turned around; he always seemed like a decent bloke but that doesn't keep you in a job in football

A couple of points worth noting:

1) Formation is everything. We went 352, refined to 3241, and it was like they'd assembled all the pieces in the right way.

2) The team we have now is pretty much the same personnel that went on from Luton last season and were almost unstoppable. Do the same this year and we'll be right in the mix.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 11:57 - Dec 1 with 1258 viewsdaveB

Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 11:18 - Dec 1 by Antti_Heinola

Didn't want him gone, but there was a point, maybe after Swansea, where I was expecting it. But let's not get too smug. We all know that two or three defeats on the spin (which will happen this season again) will have people doubting again and wanting big changes and the posters who have gone very quiet will all be flooding back.
Amazing how much there is about poor recruitment - completely the opposite only 6 months later. 'club is dying' 'in decay' etc etc. I'd forgotten quite how bad it was. But a result at Norwich, change of system, some loan signings, and a year on we have one of the best records in the country in the calendar year. It's almost as if we football fans don't know as much as we think we do ;)

Some were calling for Warburton to go a few weeks ago after the Fulham and Peterbrough defeats so it won't take much for that to happen again.

I remember after Swansea I felt really down about the club and where were going. Lockdown didn't help but I felt really depressed about the whole thing, we were comfortably worst team in west London, Brentford on way to promotion and us potentially heading for league one.

The combination of the Norwich result and Luton away being called off really saved Warburton and we haven't look back since.
Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 12:57 - Dec 1 with 1197 viewsMyke

Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 11:24 - Dec 1 by westberksr

Brian

This is very fair and along the same lines as my thinking. I had (reluctantly) decided it was time for him to go. That didn't mean I was part of the 'burn him at the stake' or even 'shove his ice-box up his ass' brigade. I simply felt he had run out of ideas and din't seem to have the wherewithal to turn it around. He cut a very lonely figure v Swansea. As I said early, I don't feel that was the 'wrong' call, now just because we are flying high. At the time it seemed perfectly justified.

I remember listening to Clive's arguments, about who to replace him and how we would end up replacing the whole squad again etc etc. That all made perfect sense, but sometimes you just have to make a change and that seemed like one of those times. Just take Gerrard at Villa. Is he a better manager than Smith? Maybe, maybe not, but results have turned instantly.

The performance rather than the result v Norwich was key, clearly they were still playing and fighting for the boss and that was a solid platform for the renaissance that began in January.
Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 13:15 - Dec 1 with 1151 viewsslmrstid

I thought he was toast after that Swansea game, and I thought we were going down.

What a remarkable last 12 months it has been. Whilst its been a very miserable time in normal every day life with this ongoing bleddy pandemic, QPR have been an absolute ray of light in the way they've performed and the escapism its given us and long may that continue.

Delighted for Warburton - I never really want managers to fail or be sacked because it means if they are then QPR are doing rubbish, even if they are someone eminently dislikeable (which Warbs is not, I hasten to add!)

C'mon you R's ;)
Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 13:43 - Dec 1 with 1094 viewsrobith

Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 13:53 - Nov 30 by Maggsinho

I think the draw at Norwich was the point things turned - could easily have been a win if BOS had scored and we seemed to grow from there.

I agree the draw with Norwich was the turning point - it illustrated to me that the players were prepared to fight for Warbz
Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 14:15 - Dec 1 with 1066 viewsAntti_Heinola

It can be crudely boiled down to this: some fans look for reasons why we should sack a manager - without ever really studying the reasons why we should not.

Bare bones.

Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 14:17 - Dec 1 with 1059 viewsEsox_Lucius

Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 11:19 - Dec 1 by nix

There's a few we haven't heard from. Shout out for anyone who's turned their opinion round and is still posting. I can quite understand why people lost the faith a bit a year ago but so glad the board decided to give Mark more time and to back him with some cash.

A number of whom have said on various occasions that they are jaded with football and have lost the love for QPR, no longer attend matches etc. but unable to move on. The irony of claiming to be a fan is notable.

The grass is always greener.

Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 14:36 - Dec 1 with 1029 viewsTheChef

Wasn't it about this time last year.... on 12:57 - Dec 1 by Myke

This is very fair and along the same lines as my thinking. I had (reluctantly) decided it was time for him to go. That didn't mean I was part of the 'burn him at the stake' or even 'shove his ice-box up his ass' brigade. I simply felt he had run out of ideas and din't seem to have the wherewithal to turn it around. He cut a very lonely figure v Swansea. As I said early, I don't feel that was the 'wrong' call, now just because we are flying high. At the time it seemed perfectly justified.

I remember listening to Clive's arguments, about who to replace him and how we would end up replacing the whole squad again etc etc. That all made perfect sense, but sometimes you just have to make a change and that seemed like one of those times. Just take Gerrard at Villa. Is he a better manager than Smith? Maybe, maybe not, but results have turned instantly.

The performance rather than the result v Norwich was key, clearly they were still playing and fighting for the boss and that was a solid platform for the renaissance that began in January.

Most clubs get a new manager bounce.

QPR do not.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024