Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! 17:34 - Dec 12 with 25592 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I was at QPR on Thursday, popping into both the club shop and box office. Mask wearing and distancing among staff was conspicuous by its absence.

Seeing as the off-field staff are likely to have more contact with players and those who come into contact with the players, you’d think these simple measures would be applied.

Utter joke!
[Post edited 12 Dec 2021 19:39]

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 07:48 - Dec 16 with 3271 viewstraininvain

QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 07:04 - Dec 16 by distortR

Some countries, including Japan, are doing quite well with Ivermectin, which, being off patent, will be considerably cheaper then pfizer's offering.

Ivermectin is horse dewormer often falsely claimed to be an effective Covid treatment without any real evidence to substantiate.

It is not an approved treatment for Covid in Japan: https://fullfact.org/health/japan-not-using-ivermectin-instead-vaccines-treat-co

If you want to see how effective Ivermectin is at treating Covid then check out https://www.reddit.com/r/HermanCainAward/ which is littered with vaccine sceptics who believed that Ivermectin was some kind of miracle cure only to find out the hard way that it is not.
QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 08:19 - Dec 16 with 3215 viewsE17hoop

QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 00:38 - Dec 14 by Northernr

A gentle, exasperated, sort of reminder that this is a football message board, with a QPR bent. We've deleted the political threads for a while, and my God am I seeing why. I'm not spending whatever bleak Christmas I have left sifting through this batshit mental stuff.

We had a thread about the Lib Dems yesterday. Oooooh maybe I'll let this run, see how it goes... oh, page one, horrendously fcking libellous comment. It's me that ends up in court with this sht btw, as happened to the Sheff Wed forum editors, being hauled over the coals with people trying and extract the contact details the posters registered with.

https://pressgazette.co.uk/judge-orders-users-to-be-named-in-web-forum-libel-cas

There are loads of other places for you to talk politics, covid, conspiracy.... Twitter, Facebook, Daily Mail, YouTube. They've built billion dollar businesses around it - go and play there. Go and play there. Please. Why does it need to be here?

There are even other QPR message boards that I'm sure would be glad to receive your vitally important hot takes. "I've tried with multiple accounts here but not met with the reception I cared for, so here I am trying with another account..." "I tried a mental thread late one night but it got deleted, now here I am with 4,000 words in which I'll only mention I don't like the moderation of the forum half a dozen times". It's so easy guys. It's a football forum. If you don't like how I run it, here are some others. Go elsewhere.

I'm not hosting this bullsht. I'm not. I'd rather close it. I'd rather close it.

http://www.qprdot.org/
https://www.wearetherangersboys.com/forum/general/qpr-fans
https://rfantasyisland.boards.net/

Clive posts this and 3 pages later you're all still hammering on?

Get a grip FFS.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 08:47 - Dec 16 with 3168 viewsNorthernr

QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 08:19 - Dec 16 by E17hoop

Get a grip FFS.

There's been some deletion, and sadly a ban, which was probably overdue.
QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 09:36 - Dec 16 with 3065 viewsswitchingcode

The sensible route will be to have a Xmas break for all clubs imho.Gates will be dramatically down.
QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 09:52 - Dec 16 with 3005 viewsPhildo

QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 15:06 - Dec 15 by BrianMcCarthy

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/game-changing-new-covid-pill-will-be-here-

Great news.
The Pfizer plant is only down the road from me, folks. I've got you all covered. Freebies.

....on another note the worlds supply of botox is made in Westport - next time you see a scary photo of Madonna or Katie upside down in her Range Rover just think the west of Ireland did that to her boat race!
QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 13:05 - Dec 16 with 2851 viewsdaveB

QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 09:36 - Dec 16 by switchingcode

The sensible route will be to have a Xmas break for all clubs imho.Gates will be dramatically down.

This weeknds games should be called off, give clubs a week to break the cycle. The brentford manager was bang on when he said that this morning
QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 13:26 - Dec 16 with 2762 viewsDavieQPR

QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 08:19 - Dec 16 by E17hoop

Get a grip FFS.

Shows how bored we all are.
QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 13:28 - Dec 16 with 2754 viewsMyke

QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 08:47 - Dec 16 by Northernr

I think the sensible route Clive, to prevent your head being totally wrecked, is just to slap on the padlock as soon as a thread becomes even remotely political/radical. It may to some
be seen as a violation of their freedom of speech rights but (A) there are plenty of alternative sites to vent their spleen and (B) this is a QPR site. Some of the non-QPR stuff is amazing, like support for mental health issues or a bereavement and some of it is harmless like the music threads, but as for the rest...
Login to get fewer ads

QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 13:42 - Dec 16 with 2699 viewsSonofpugwash

Layoff an ideal opportunity to sort out those FARKING floodlights.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 14:31 - Dec 16 with 2619 viewscolinallcars

QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 09:36 - Dec 16 by switchingcode

Leave Bill Gates out of it.
QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 14:36 - Dec 16 with 2599 viewsMick_S

QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 14:31 - Dec 16 by colinallcars

Leave Bill Gates out of it.

Bill’s soccer loving son:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQy7HybsvQJojpoliZ_NgVuqdNo

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 15:04 - Dec 16 with 2527 viewsLongsufferingR

QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 08:47 - Dec 16 by Northernr

Sorry to see Brian McCarthy go but if he insisted on his wild conspiracy theories......
QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 15:13 - Dec 16 with 2488 viewsswitchingcode

Whatever happens I’ve decided to give the 3 pre Xmas games a miss which was a tough decision as I’ve not missed a game H or A this season.My son and younger mates are still going,if they are on but at my age although jabbed to the max I don’t want to take the risk.
QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 15:22 - Dec 16 with 2431 viewsBrianMcCarthy

QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 15:04 - Dec 16 by LongsufferingR

Sorry to see Brian McCarthy go but if he insisted on his wild conspiracy theories......

Aw no! Am I banned again?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 16:03 - Dec 16 with 2324 viewsericgen34

I'm livid! We were going to spend xmas in London, going there for the first time in 2 years to see friends and family and the french government banned us from going :(

I have 2 tickets for the Bournemouth game as well!
QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 16:11 - Dec 16 with 2284 viewsNorthantsHoop

As QPR was postponed on Saturday was going to Northampton Town v Barrow, this is now postponed. As the rate of infections at clubs now increasing at quite a pace, reckon most of the Xmas schedule will be postponed. Not expecting the Bournemouth game to go ahead, as even if our players are through isolation no guarantee that Bournemouth will not be affected between now and Xmas.
QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 17:24 - Dec 16 with 2149 viewsthemodfather

teams are dropping like flies with covid, 11 more games called off today!
govt wont call on social distancing or closing schools and cancelling events and allowing the free for all to carry on, just cos they got rumbled partying last time!
QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 17:39 - Dec 16 with 2095 viewsJuzzie

QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 15:13 - Dec 16 by switchingcode

Whatever happens I’ve decided to give the 3 pre Xmas games a miss which was a tough decision as I’ve not missed a game H or A this season.My son and younger mates are still going,if they are on but at my age although jabbed to the max I don’t want to take the risk.

I know what you mean. I was all ready to go to the home game v Swansea with my 7 year old son this Saturday as it'll have been the first game we could get to in two years.

Even if it hadn't been called off I wouldn't now take the risk myself as I don't particularly want to risk catching it and have an awful Christmas (even though double jabbed + booster) or risk passing anything on to my family or others.

The last time I was in amongst a big crowd was probably the last football game I went to 2 years ago. I don't use public transport so that keep me away from crowds too.

oh well.
QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 17:44 - Dec 16 with 2076 viewsdistortR

QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 07:48 - Dec 16 by traininvain

Ivermectin is horse dewormer often falsely claimed to be an effective Covid treatment without any real evidence to substantiate.

It is not an approved treatment for Covid in Japan: https://fullfact.org/health/japan-not-using-ivermectin-instead-vaccines-treat-co

If you want to see how effective Ivermectin is at treating Covid then check out https://www.reddit.com/r/HermanCainAward/ which is littered with vaccine sceptics who believed that Ivermectin was some kind of miracle cure only to find out the hard way that it is not.

in 2015 someone won a nobel prize for their work in regards to treating people with ivermectin.

There are lots of conflicting reports on the effectiveness of the drug in regards to covid, the fullfacts piece actually shows that the chair of the Tokyo medical association has called for it's use.

I'm not pro or anti it, I've just wondered about the narrative at times, the constant referal of it as simply a horse dewormer for a start.
QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 20:24 - Dec 16 with 1933 viewsRanger_Things

QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 17:44 - Dec 16 by distortR

in 2015 someone won a nobel prize for their work in regards to treating people with ivermectin.

There are lots of conflicting reports on the effectiveness of the drug in regards to covid, the fullfacts piece actually shows that the chair of the Tokyo medical association has called for it's use.

I'm not pro or anti it, I've just wondered about the narrative at times, the constant referal of it as simply a horse dewormer for a start.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/04/oklahoma-doctor-ivermectin-covid-c

Antivaxer hillbillies were dropping like flies on it for a while.
QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 20:59 - Dec 16 with 1869 viewsBklynRanger

QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 15:44 - Dec 14 by saxbend

I would just like to add a few points on how the virus, vaccines, immunity and masks do and don't work, for those of you who had really bad science teachers, or for whom school was a very long time ago.

As has been said before, vaccines aren't pre-emptive cures sitting in your body for however long ready to come out of your mouth and nose and fight any virus before it can wander in. They are basically fake viruses that can only be defeated in the same way that the real one can, without doing any actual harm to the body beyond being unwelcome. The immune system gets as many goes as it needs to find the right kind of antibodies that will work on it, and then once it has, and the cleanup job is complete, it creates memory cells that live permanently and will recognise any more copies of the pathogen that turn up, just as it does after beating the real virus. So should the real virus subsequently turn up, the memory cells recognise it as if it were the vaccine again and the antibodies are immediately produced without any time spent finding the right ones.

Vaccines essentially allow you to safely get the same immunity you would get from surviving covid, and the only risk to you is your immune system overreacting to it, which for some people can be dangerous, but, and this is really important to bear in mind, if your immune system reacts dangerously to an imitation of the coronavirus, it will react in exactly the same way to the real one, while the real one is giving you covid at the same time.

So while there are some people whose doctors will have told them for good reason that their individual circumstances mean they should not have the vaccine, those people are especially at risk from the virus too and should really be shielding.

Now, it's true that after a time the immunity you acquire, whether from the vaccine, or covid itself, or ideally both in that order (the other order's all well and good too but you have to survive covid first, so I wouldn't recommend it, even though it's what happened in my case), will become less effective over time.

This isn't because of the immune system diminishing in some way. That's a misconception that is probably based on people's conflation of antibodies with memory cells. Remember antibodies are the actual weapons the body uses against a pathogen. They are temporary. They don't stick around for that long once you're infection-free. Memory cells are for life and will generate the same antibodies again and again on demand.

No, the reason your immunity becomes less effective over time is that viruses change. Their code (RNA, not DNA) mutates through replication just like other organisms and that changes how they behave and how well specific immune responses work against them. If they change enough they get their own Greek letter, or at least some special ID code to distinguish them from the rest of the viruses of their kind. So what I understand is going on with Omicron is it's changed enough to be less vulnerable to our existing immunity (no matter how we acquired it), because the versions of the viruses we caught in the past two years, and the vaccines that were designed to simulate them require antibodies that don't work as well on Omicron.

I suspect that the booster had Delta in mind and was aimed to help us become more resistant to that than we previously were, but as Omicron wasn't on anyone's radar when the booster was being developed, that will have to wait.

On the other hand, Omicron seems far less lethal than prior versions, which on the face of it is a good thing. Ok, great everyone likes the idea of fewer people dying. The problem is that if we give up on trying to get everyone immune to it, and give up on avoiding spreading it on account of it being mild, we give it many many more chances to copy itself, which means further mutations. And the more mutations there are, the more chances there are of a mutation that is just as vaccine resistant as omicron, and also much more deadly.

So our best chance is to treat omicron as if it's already deadly, and stop it spreading, and stop it copying itself.

Vaccines definitely help with that. The earlier you beat off a virus once it's entered you, the less time it has to copy itself and the fewer copies leave your body.

Vaccines aren't perfect though. Nothing is. We need to combine them with two other things. One is social distancing. That works really well but to do it fully you have to miss out on things like proper football crowds and seeing your family at Christmas. We don't want that, but we can do partial distancing to cover the rest of the time. And we can keep away from unvaccinated people, who really ought to be isolating for their own safety anyway.

The final piece of the puzzle is masks, and I'd just like to clear up some common misconceptions about them too. They are not very effective at keeping viruses out side. That's not what they're designed for. In fact if a virus lands on a mask on a person's face then every breath will be another chance for it to get sucked in. But they're not utterly useless either. The analogy to keeping fart inside your trousers is nonsense. The diameter of a virus ranges from 50-140 nm. The diameter of a methane molecule is only 380pm. 131 times smaller. To put that into perspective, the sun is only a out 109 times bigger than the earth, meaning that the virus:molecule ratio is 20% bigger than that.

But what masks are really good at is stopping viruses being passed on. The mask will catch most of them and slow the rest right down. Any virus that leaves your mouth or nose through a mask simply won't have the momentum or direction to enter another person's mouth or nose, unless they are right in front of you, and especially not if they are also wearing a mask.

So in summary if we can put these three components together: vaccines, social distancing and masks we can actually stop the viruses, all variants thereof pretty effectively. But it requires everyone to do their part. And that means if the vaccine isn't for you, or the mask isn't, then you need to social distance to the extreme. It's also worth repeating that if you have a breathing condition that makes masks dangerous, or an immune condition that makes your response to the vaccine dangerous, then the virus is especially dangerous for you, so you should want to avoid it altogether. If that's not the case, then talk to your doctor and he or she should (it is their job after all) be able to explain to you even better than I can why you have nothing to fear from the vaccine or from masks.

Let's get this done and then we can all debate about whether it was real or just a conspiracy for the next 30 years in packed pubs.

You Rs
[Post edited 14 Dec 2021 16:57]

This is one of the long posts on this thread that really does deserve replying to. Well said.
QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 21:54 - Dec 16 with 1796 viewsDavieQPR

Sorry but when I hear the word Omicron I can't help thinking ' Didn't the Transformers defeat him?'
QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 10:22 - Dec 17 with 1474 viewsCliff

QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 17:44 - Dec 16 by distortR

Yes some did win a nobel prize for working with Ivermectin in humans, however the following is from:

https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-nobel-ivermectin-idUSL1N2QB2XA

and states:

"Social media users claim that the drug Ivermectin is safe to use as it received the Nobel Prize in 2015. While two scientists did win the prize for the medication, this was for parasitic infections and it does not mean the drug is a safe or effective drug in the treatment of COVID-19, a virus. As of this article’s publication, public health authorities in the United States are not recommending ivermectin for the treatment of COVID-19. Scientific studies are ongoing."

So a horse dewormer can be used, with some associated risks, in smaller doses as a human dewormer, although it can be used to treat other parasitic infections in both humans and horses.

Finally just to clarify one thing if it is needed, Covid is a virus NOT a parasite.
QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 10:37 - Dec 17 with 1424 viewslondonscottish

QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 15:44 - Dec 14 by saxbend

I would just like to add a few points on how the virus, vaccines, immunity and masks do and don't work, for those of you who had really bad science teachers, or for whom school was a very long time ago.

As has been said before, vaccines aren't pre-emptive cures sitting in your body for however long ready to come out of your mouth and nose and fight any virus before it can wander in. They are basically fake viruses that can only be defeated in the same way that the real one can, without doing any actual harm to the body beyond being unwelcome. The immune system gets as many goes as it needs to find the right kind of antibodies that will work on it, and then once it has, and the cleanup job is complete, it creates memory cells that live permanently and will recognise any more copies of the pathogen that turn up, just as it does after beating the real virus. So should the real virus subsequently turn up, the memory cells recognise it as if it were the vaccine again and the antibodies are immediately produced without any time spent finding the right ones.

Vaccines essentially allow you to safely get the same immunity you would get from surviving covid, and the only risk to you is your immune system overreacting to it, which for some people can be dangerous, but, and this is really important to bear in mind, if your immune system reacts dangerously to an imitation of the coronavirus, it will react in exactly the same way to the real one, while the real one is giving you covid at the same time.

So while there are some people whose doctors will have told them for good reason that their individual circumstances mean they should not have the vaccine, those people are especially at risk from the virus too and should really be shielding.

Now, it's true that after a time the immunity you acquire, whether from the vaccine, or covid itself, or ideally both in that order (the other order's all well and good too but you have to survive covid first, so I wouldn't recommend it, even though it's what happened in my case), will become less effective over time.

This isn't because of the immune system diminishing in some way. That's a misconception that is probably based on people's conflation of antibodies with memory cells. Remember antibodies are the actual weapons the body uses against a pathogen. They are temporary. They don't stick around for that long once you're infection-free. Memory cells are for life and will generate the same antibodies again and again on demand.

No, the reason your immunity becomes less effective over time is that viruses change. Their code (RNA, not DNA) mutates through replication just like other organisms and that changes how they behave and how well specific immune responses work against them. If they change enough they get their own Greek letter, or at least some special ID code to distinguish them from the rest of the viruses of their kind. So what I understand is going on with Omicron is it's changed enough to be less vulnerable to our existing immunity (no matter how we acquired it), because the versions of the viruses we caught in the past two years, and the vaccines that were designed to simulate them require antibodies that don't work as well on Omicron.

I suspect that the booster had Delta in mind and was aimed to help us become more resistant to that than we previously were, but as Omicron wasn't on anyone's radar when the booster was being developed, that will have to wait.

On the other hand, Omicron seems far less lethal than prior versions, which on the face of it is a good thing. Ok, great everyone likes the idea of fewer people dying. The problem is that if we give up on trying to get everyone immune to it, and give up on avoiding spreading it on account of it being mild, we give it many many more chances to copy itself, which means further mutations. And the more mutations there are, the more chances there are of a mutation that is just as vaccine resistant as omicron, and also much more deadly.

So our best chance is to treat omicron as if it's already deadly, and stop it spreading, and stop it copying itself.

Vaccines definitely help with that. The earlier you beat off a virus once it's entered you, the less time it has to copy itself and the fewer copies leave your body.

Vaccines aren't perfect though. Nothing is. We need to combine them with two other things. One is social distancing. That works really well but to do it fully you have to miss out on things like proper football crowds and seeing your family at Christmas. We don't want that, but we can do partial distancing to cover the rest of the time. And we can keep away from unvaccinated people, who really ought to be isolating for their own safety anyway.

The final piece of the puzzle is masks, and I'd just like to clear up some common misconceptions about them too. They are not very effective at keeping viruses out side. That's not what they're designed for. In fact if a virus lands on a mask on a person's face then every breath will be another chance for it to get sucked in. But they're not utterly useless either. The analogy to keeping fart inside your trousers is nonsense. The diameter of a virus ranges from 50-140 nm. The diameter of a methane molecule is only 380pm. 131 times smaller. To put that into perspective, the sun is only a out 109 times bigger than the earth, meaning that the virus:molecule ratio is 20% bigger than that.

But what masks are really good at is stopping viruses being passed on. The mask will catch most of them and slow the rest right down. Any virus that leaves your mouth or nose through a mask simply won't have the momentum or direction to enter another person's mouth or nose, unless they are right in front of you, and especially not if they are also wearing a mask.

So in summary if we can put these three components together: vaccines, social distancing and masks we can actually stop the viruses, all variants thereof pretty effectively. But it requires everyone to do their part. And that means if the vaccine isn't for you, or the mask isn't, then you need to social distance to the extreme. It's also worth repeating that if you have a breathing condition that makes masks dangerous, or an immune condition that makes your response to the vaccine dangerous, then the virus is especially dangerous for you, so you should want to avoid it altogether. If that's not the case, then talk to your doctor and he or she should (it is their job after all) be able to explain to you even better than I can why you have nothing to fear from the vaccine or from masks.

Let's get this done and then we can all debate about whether it was real or just a conspiracy for the next 30 years in packed pubs.

You Rs
[Post edited 14 Dec 2021 16:57]

Thanks SB, that's incredibly well thought through & well written.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 10:55 - Dec 17 with 1383 viewsPunteR

QPR/Covid what a bloody surprise!! on 10:37 - Dec 17 by londonscottish

Thanks SB, that's incredibly well thought through & well written.

I thought so to. I copied and pasted onto my family WhatsApp group. Nice one Saxbend.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024