Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
P&O Ferries 18:28 - Mar 17 with 5823 viewsQPRSteve

What utter swine their Dubai-based owners must be.

800 made redundant to be replaced by cheaper foreign workers and with fück all notice. Even this Tory government seems shocked.

We should at least reclaim the money given to the company by the government during the pandemic. Better still nationalise the company without compensation.
P&O Ferries on 18:51 - Mar 17 with 3827 views222gers

Yes, just seen this on BBC news. Outrageous.
P&O Ferries on 18:56 - Mar 17 with 3802 viewsdmm

It's an absolute outrage. Can you imagine being summarily sacked like that via video? No consultation, no notice, no consideration for people's lives whatsoever.

Why are employers free to do this?!
P&O Ferries on 19:52 - Mar 17 with 3673 viewsMick_S

Just so unkind. What the bloody hell is going on? It’s more than unkind, it’s filthy.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

P&O Ferries on 19:58 - Mar 17 with 3643 viewsSonofpugwash

Ports are being blocked from transporting aid to Ukraine.Russian money said to be involved in Dubai who are now welcoming oligarchs with open arms.
Allegedly....

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

P&O Ferries on 20:09 - Mar 17 with 3628 viewsstowmarketrange

P&O Ferries on 18:56 - Mar 17 by dmm

It's an absolute outrage. Can you imagine being summarily sacked like that via video? No consultation, no notice, no consideration for people's lives whatsoever.

Why are employers free to do this?!

My firm tried it in July 2020,because they were scaling down the work at one of our depots,and because we tried to get proper union representation in the depot.They got rid of 30+ drivers because they said there was no jobs for them.One bloke had been there over 40 years as he joined straight from school.
They offered redundancy terms to the drivers to go knowing that the government capped payments at 20 years service.Some found jobs elsewhere and some were too old to get a similar job elsewhere.
Our union has a court case ongoing against them now,but they treated us like dirt because they thought they could get away with it.

Have a guess which company couldn’t get enough drivers to do all the jobs last year?They had to pay agencies extra to get their drivers to do the work that our own drivers could’ve done cheaper.

There are still firms about who would like to take us all back to the Victorian era if they could get away with it.
P&O Ferries on 20:32 - Mar 17 with 3564 viewsdmm

P&O Ferries on 20:09 - Mar 17 by stowmarketrange

My firm tried it in July 2020,because they were scaling down the work at one of our depots,and because we tried to get proper union representation in the depot.They got rid of 30+ drivers because they said there was no jobs for them.One bloke had been there over 40 years as he joined straight from school.
They offered redundancy terms to the drivers to go knowing that the government capped payments at 20 years service.Some found jobs elsewhere and some were too old to get a similar job elsewhere.
Our union has a court case ongoing against them now,but they treated us like dirt because they thought they could get away with it.

Have a guess which company couldn’t get enough drivers to do all the jobs last year?They had to pay agencies extra to get their drivers to do the work that our own drivers could’ve done cheaper.

There are still firms about who would like to take us all back to the Victorian era if they could get away with it.

It's shocking to think businesses can get away with treating people like that. Hope you weren't badly affected.
P&O Ferries on 20:42 - Mar 17 with 3528 viewsRanger_Things

Poor sods, some have worked for P&O their whole lives. Fire and rehire really is a disgusting practice. Last year a bill was put forward to outlaw it, obviously the Tories voted it down.

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2021/oct/22/anger-as-ministers-block-fire-and-re
P&O Ferries on 20:48 - Mar 17 with 3505 viewsRs_Holy

I’m steering clear of P&O from now on.
Login to get fewer ads

P&O Ferries on 20:49 - Mar 17 with 3502 viewsstowmarketrange

P&O Ferries on 20:32 - Mar 17 by dmm

It's shocking to think businesses can get away with treating people like that. Hope you weren't badly affected.

I was told that I’d be made redundant because there was no job for me,but they suddenly found one in a depot twice the distance away,and I decided to take the job,due to the uncertainty around 18 months ago.
I guess I was one of the lucky ones who still had a job,but it was wrong to treat people like that,and hopefully the union will win their case,so that the people who lost their jobs can receive some sort of compensation.
P&O Ferries on 21:08 - Mar 17 with 3458 viewsjoe90

This could be a breach of the collective bargaining agreement in which case the P&O could end up in an employment tribunal. However, this doesn’t mean the staff will get their jobs back.

Completely unnecessary to announce the redundancy as they did. Got to feel for those who have lost their jobs.

I will definitely avoid using P&O from now on.
P&O Ferries on 21:09 - Mar 17 with 3453 viewsLythamR

P&O Ferries on 20:48 - Mar 17 by Rs_Holy

I would like to think there will be a mass boycott of P & O services

Sadly there won't and P & O will have built it a downturn and negative publicity into its calculations and they know that some neat promotions in the coming months will bring the punters back.

Unfortunately thats where we are as a society right now
P&O Ferries on 21:32 - Mar 17 with 3399 viewsQPRSteve

P&O Ferries on 21:09 - Mar 17 by LythamR

I would like to think there will be a mass boycott of P & O services

Sadly there won't and P & O will have built it a downturn and negative publicity into its calculations and they know that some neat promotions in the coming months will bring the punters back.

Unfortunately thats where we are as a society right now

Boycotting Dubai might be a better option. Hit their tourist industry.
P&O Ferries on 21:39 - Mar 17 with 3365 viewslightwaterhoop

P&O Ferries on 21:32 - Mar 17 by QPRSteve

Anyone going to Dubai now for a holiday now is basically supporting these sackings, so dont go.Its a total modern day dump anyway.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2022 21:40]
P&O Ferries on 21:45 - Mar 17 with 3332 viewsBoston

P&O Ferries on 20:48 - Mar 17 by Rs_Holy

This is the only action the company will notice.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

P&O Ferries on 23:00 - Mar 17 with 3218 viewsstowmarketrange

P&O Ferries on 21:39 - Mar 17 by lightwaterhoop

Anyone going to Dubai now for a holiday now is basically supporting these sackings, so dont go.Its a total modern day dump anyway.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2022 21:40]

I went there with the Mrs 5 years ago and I can’t see what the attraction with the place is.It’s like the Westfield centre with sun.
P&O Ferries on 23:19 - Mar 17 with 3181 viewskensalriser

P&O Ferries on 21:32 - Mar 17 by QPRSteve

No idea why anyone would want to go on holiday to a country run by a despotic autocracy where you could end up in prison on trumped up charges.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/23/justice-uae-dubai-british-

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

P&O Ferries on 23:34 - Mar 17 with 3166 viewsBoston

One of my brothers lived there for many years. I could never visit him, never wanted to explain why as it would just cause arguments.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

P&O Ferries on 06:48 - Mar 18 with 3036 viewswood_hoop

P&O Ferries on 20:42 - Mar 17 by Ranger_Things

Poor sods, some have worked for P&O their whole lives. Fire and rehire really is a disgusting practice. Last year a bill was put forward to outlaw it, obviously the Tories voted it down.

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2021/oct/22/anger-as-ministers-block-fire-and-re

It seems any French crew of P&O are safe, probably scuttled their ships by now if not.
P&O Ferries on 07:24 - Mar 18 with 2995 viewsdistortR

P&O Ferries on 23:19 - Mar 17 by kensalriser

No idea why anyone would want to go on holiday to a country run by a despotic autocracy where you could end up in prison on trumped up charges.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/23/justice-uae-dubai-british-

leave the IOM out of this, Kensal.
P&O Ferries on 07:39 - Mar 18 with 2974 viewsHarbour

P&O Ferries on 06:48 - Mar 18 by wood_hoop

It seems any French crew of P&O are safe, probably scuttled their ships by now if not.

Yes French staff protected under EU laws….UK staff no protection…..Brexit the gift that keeps on giving!
P&O Ferries on 09:52 - Mar 18 with 2805 viewsBrianMcCarthy

P&O Ferries on 07:39 - Mar 18 by Harbour

Yes French staff protected under EU laws….UK staff no protection…..Brexit the gift that keeps on giving!

That's interesting. I read three or four reports and they all missed that point.

Employment laws and unions took centuries to win. You give them up at your peril.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

P&O Ferries on 10:04 - Mar 18 with 2752 viewsfrancisbowles

P&O Ferries on 07:39 - Mar 18 by Harbour

Is it EU law or French law?

Have we repealed EU employment law from British law?
P&O Ferries on 10:23 - Mar 18 with 2706 viewsw7r

Just nationalise it and give the c.nuts a £ in compo. It’s not redundancy - they’ve been sacked and forcibly removed by masked thugs - disgusting.

The holding company has made healthy profits and paid nice divvies to the shareholders. I despair at protections in this country, never be able to pull this stroke in France, Germany, Spain etc.

This has nothing to do with Brexit though, UK employment laws have been loaded in favour of the employer for many years. The Tories will bleat on about how outrageous blah blah but they’re complicit in this going back to Thatcher, Blair too.

It’s an absolute disgrace, what happened to common decency and treating people with respect?
P&O Ferries on 10:29 - Mar 18 with 2675 viewsEsox_Lucius

P&O Ferries on 10:04 - Mar 18 by francisbowles

Some of the Brexit benefits include no investigation into offshore tax accounts, diminished Human Rights responsibilities (despite the UK being instrumental in it's design & implementation) and almost complete abolition of workers rights. I'm surprised that Gove isn't shouting this from the rooftops as the minister for Brexit Opportunities. As an aside; I see Carole Cadwalladr has effectively been censored from working for and reporting on the BBC, ITV & C4. Sue Grey report should be out soon too.

The grass is always greener.

P&O Ferries on 10:31 - Mar 18 with 2662 viewsBrianMcCarthy

P&O Ferries on 10:04 - Mar 18 by francisbowles

Good question. I'd like to know the answer to this as well.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024