Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hottest Football Match you've been to? 15:46 - Jul 11 with 6629 viewsToast_R

Plenty of stories about the coldest and the wettest over the years but what's one you've been to either in the UK or abroad where you felt genuinely like you were going to pass out and wondered how the players found in possible to run around?

Mine - Birmingham City at home, opening game of the season 2000/01. So hot, some poor kid rejected his lunch the row in-front of us on the lower loft. The stench, oh God the stench. There was no escaping it. The match was terrible too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/875915.stm

[Post edited 11 Jul 2022 15:47]
Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 22:01 - Jul 11 with 1789 viewscolinallcars

Death Valley Nevada Athletic v Dar Es Salaam Academicals was a tough 'un.
Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 22:13 - Jul 11 with 1763 viewseastside_r

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 16:09 - Jul 11 by Antti_Heinola

Celtic friendly was it? I melted.

Was gonna go with everyone else and say that Blackpool game but I think you might have it. I was in the Paddock that day. Crazy weekend but one of the best of my life.
Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 23:19 - Jul 11 with 1689 viewsrrrspricey

Bang in the middle of the North Bank for the '82 semi at Highbury
Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 23:34 - Jul 11 with 1673 viewsOregonQPR

Saudi Arabia vs Sweden 1-3
Brazil vs The Netherlands 3-2
Germany vs South Korea 3-2

All 1994 World Cup Finals matches at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas during the middle of the afternoon for evening tv back in Europe. At least 95F (35 Celsius) for each of them.
Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 00:05 - Jul 12 with 1653 viewssuperhoopdownunder

The hottest football match I have been to was Melbourne Victory vs. Adelaide on 4 February 2007.
It was a semi final and the sun was in my face for the whole game.
It was a sweltering day and thought I was going to pass out.
Victory scored a last minute winner in front of 47,413 people and won the final the following week 6-0

QPR games that were hot included the previously mentioned Oxford and Ipswich games towards the end of the 90's - like DaveB - for the Ipswich game I turned up with my girlfriend expecting fireworks and it was a very disappointing 0-0 draw

The FA Cup Semi Final at Highbury was hot too but fortunately I was sitting undercover
[Post edited 12 Jul 2022 0:11]
Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 00:18 - Jul 12 with 1639 viewsNorthernr

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 23:34 - Jul 11 by OregonQPR

Saudi Arabia vs Sweden 1-3
Brazil vs The Netherlands 3-2
Germany vs South Korea 3-2

All 1994 World Cup Finals matches at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas during the middle of the afternoon for evening tv back in Europe. At least 95F (35 Celsius) for each of them.

Yessss. Great times. Big Jack trying to send players on with little plastic bags of water and goldfishes.

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 00:57 - Jul 12 with 1610 viewsLythamR

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 18:40 - Jul 11 by Superhoop83

Another vote for Blackpool at home in 2003.

We were about halfway up SA Road and the heat as the sun got lower and hit us was insane.

How they played in those conditions I'll never know, but what a great match it was.

Blackpool

I was in Row A upper loft absolutely no escape

I cant imagine how hot it would have felt had we lost!
Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 00:59 - Jul 12 with 1605 viewsozranger

The A-League here in Oz is played during the summer. Too many games when I was a spectator and also as a photographer were extremely hot. Many were over 35C. At least we had water and plenty of it. Also when photographing, as protection you tended to wear clothes covering the whole body and a brimmed hat which sometimes made it even warmer. The big problem was at venues where it was not only above 35C but also almost 100% humidity (Gosford was typical for that). How they allowed the games to go ahead was beyond me.

And while we are talking about games in the temperate zones of our planet, spare a thought for those who play in countries near the equator. Singapore is strangely okay as the temp rarely gets over 28C but head north to Malaysia and the effective temperature can easily reach 45C. The game is somewhat slower but the players need to be ultra fit and able to withstand such ridiculous temperatures.
Login to get fewer ads

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 02:56 - Jul 12 with 1567 viewsSydneyRs

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 16:18 - Jul 11 by Northernr

Blackpool was unbearable.

Oh I do remember playing Spurs in the last home game of the season mid 90s, Les scored twice just before he left, and it was so hot the back legs of the white plastic chair my rather large grandfather was sitting on outside The Goldhawk melted and tipped him out towards the bus lane.

This post has been edited by an administrator

I remember this game, my last one before going backpacking for an extended period. The sun was shining, we beat a good Spurs team, top half finish, singing "f**k off back to Germany" to Jurgen Klinsmann. Happy days, simpler times.

My first game after returning to the UK was a dismal 0-2 defeat to Reading a division below. Fortunately I missed the entire relegation season, Cantona etc but this was a stark reality check of how far we had fallen while I was away.

Another hot game I recall is the 3-0 opening day win at West Ham in the late 80s. A great day out.
Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 03:00 - Jul 12 with 1554 viewsBoston

Lingerie Bowl 2012. Bogs more packed than the Ellerslie.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 07:16 - Jul 12 with 1488 viewsRamseyR

Another Blackpool mention for me, but not the home game in 2003.

Was about 10 years ago, and again first game of the season.
In the paddocks facing the sun. Very burnt

Ramage scored a flukey cross cum shot
Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 07:36 - Jul 12 with 1471 viewsgigiisourgod

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 02:56 - Jul 12 by SydneyRs

I remember this game, my last one before going backpacking for an extended period. The sun was shining, we beat a good Spurs team, top half finish, singing "f**k off back to Germany" to Jurgen Klinsmann. Happy days, simpler times.

My first game after returning to the UK was a dismal 0-2 defeat to Reading a division below. Fortunately I missed the entire relegation season, Cantona etc but this was a stark reality check of how far we had fallen while I was away.

Another hot game I recall is the 3-0 opening day win at West Ham in the late 80s. A great day out.

Was it not also VE Day…?
Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 07:37 - Jul 12 with 1467 viewspaulparker

I was at that Blackpool game and that was the hottest , as a poster said I think they closed the central line after the game which made the journey back even more uncomfortable
The other one was the season before which was Wycombe away on the bank holiday
The bloke walking around dressed as Jude the cat was serenaded with the chant of
“One sweaty pussy “

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 07:59 - Jul 12 with 1459 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I forgot about Wycombe away, that was bearable due to the scenery and the rolling fields behind the home end.

Was it that year or the other one where the tannoy asked if "car owner Reg EX..etc could move their car as they are blocking the farmer getting to his field on his tractor." Proper football.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2022 8:00]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 08:09 - Jul 12 with 1449 viewsRs_Holy

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 15:51 - Jul 11 by Metallica_Hoop

Home V's Blackpool front of the Lower loft first game of the season.

Toasty.

(no pun intended)
[Post edited 11 Jul 2022 15:51]

Yeh... I was in the lower loft wearing just a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops and still the sweat was pouring off me.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2022 9:57]
Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 09:12 - Jul 12 with 1405 viewsenfieldargh

Apart from the home games already mentioned.

Went to watch Port FC in Bangkok 34 degrees, what a crap game

I also played in a game in the Negev Desert in Israel, broke my toe trying to chip the ball and struck a rock on the ground instead. 40+ degrees 17 years old no shirt on or sun protection!!!!!

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 14:47 - Jul 12 with 1312 viewsqpr_1968

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 16:18 - Jul 11 by Northernr

Blackpool was unbearable.

Oh I do remember playing Spurs in the last home game of the season mid 90s, Les scored twice just before he left, and it was so hot the back legs of the white plastic chair my rather large grandfather was sitting on outside The Goldhawk melted and tipped him out towards the bus lane.

This post has been edited by an administrator

we also played tottenham in pre season friendlies, 1998 and 1999.
cant remember what year the 2-1 to us game was, but that was another sweltering afternoon. anyone in the front rows of the sar stand, where i sat, would have fried that day.
god knows what the paddocks were like.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 21:21 - Jul 12 with 1272 viewsaston_hoop

Obviously Blackpool 03, still got through the half time flask of tea too!

Outside of QPR, I Saw Club America v Pachuca in Mexico City in February and could have melted that day. Someone told me it was still the end of winter there! Luckily there are blokes that come around and sell you beer while you're in your seat, a thoroughly civilised experience

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 23:51 - Jul 12 with 1222 viewswombat

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 21:21 - Jul 12 by aston_hoop

Outside of QPR, I Saw Club America v Pachuca in Mexico City in February and could have melted that day. Someone told me it was still the end of winter there! Luckily there are blokes that come around and sell you beer while you're in your seat, a thoroughly civilised experience

Blackpool at home sat in west paddock tried to hide down stairs until just before kick off sat in my seat and didn’t know some many bodily parts could sweat at the same time

Another one not mentioned Plymouth away year they went up , went down for the weekend on the Friday few beers got up sat morning for a beer or two on the quayside was getting warmer time we arrived at the ground after. A massive police detour through the park the place was melting hot , we had the sun in our face for the entire 90 mins

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 06:42 - Jul 13 with 1167 viewskernowhoop

Martimo v Braga in 1979. But, on reflection, if I had paid to go in and have a seat in the stand, it would not have been remarkable. But, I watched from over a wall (with a bored Mrs Kernowhoop) and managed to get sunstroke.
Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 13:13 - Jul 13 with 1092 viewsTGRRRSSS

Wasnt at Blackpool thankfully that was a hot august.

I remember Spurs 85 game (2-1 win) and Klinsmann played for Spurs.

I don't remember it being especially hot - warm maybe

Likewise Palace didnt seem to bad in Ellerslie (Stan Bowles now)
Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 14:33 - Jul 13 with 1062 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 21:21 - Jul 12 by aston_hoop

Another vote for Mexico and that Plymouth game too.

Infamous heat of Guadalajara at the Estadio Jalisco, where Banks made 'that' save from Pele. My mate and I actually managed to talk the security guards into letting us on to the pitch, where it was 'kin baking, sweating cobs.

That Plymouth game was yet another display of poor policing; taking us on a tour in the heat. Not sure if you saw the young lad before we were 'marched' who innocently tripped over a low-lying metal fence. In they come, mob-handed behaving like a-holes, which set the tone.

As we walked on, we saw a fan - who had a medical condition - starting to wobble and we caught him before he collapsed.

Didn't know the guy, but we 'pretended' he was with us, because the plod also wanted to arrest him. He was saying he needed to rest because of his condition, as it was too hot and he couldn't keep pace. The plod were just being, the plod, but we managed to get them to f-off and leave us as we walked the guy in.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 15:08 - Jul 13 with 1053 viewsGalileo

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 14:33 - Jul 13 by PlanetHonneywood

Infamous heat of Guadalajara at the Estadio Jalisco, where Banks made 'that' save from Pele. My mate and I actually managed to talk the security guards into letting us on to the pitch, where it was 'kin baking, sweating cobs.

That Plymouth game was yet another display of poor policing; taking us on a tour in the heat. Not sure if you saw the young lad before we were 'marched' who innocently tripped over a low-lying metal fence. In they come, mob-handed behaving like a-holes, which set the tone.

As we walked on, we saw a fan - who had a medical condition - starting to wobble and we caught him before he collapsed.

Didn't know the guy, but we 'pretended' he was with us, because the plod also wanted to arrest him. He was saying he needed to rest because of his condition, as it was too hot and he couldn't keep pace. The plod were just being, the plod, but we managed to get them to f-off and leave us as we walked the guy in.

Blackpool for me.
Was at the back of the North Bank for the 82 semi final so don't recall it being too hot.

I did see the lad trip up at the bottom of Central Park in Plymouth after loads of Rangers had been evicted from the Pennycomequick pub by some over zealous police on that day we lost 1-0 in the heat. Felt sorry for him as he was dragged away having made the long trip to see an almost promotion defining match
Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 16:08 - Jul 13 with 1026 viewsTheChef

The most sizzling video you'll see today!

How many Blackpool players got heatstroke??

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 17:37 - Jul 13 with 998 viewswombat

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 14:33 - Jul 13 by PlanetHonneywood

Yes they were pretty heavy handed that which was weird considering zero history between both clubs , the walk seems to last for ever with lads taking there chances to get a pee in the bushes on route to the ground which they want happy with either funnily enough .

Poll: which is your favouite foot

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024