Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dear Lord 01:35 - Aug 3 with 3649 viewsBoston

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Dear Lord on 07:33 - Aug 3 with 3364 viewsDejR_vu

Maybe she said something about the club’s senior execs? 😉

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Dear Lord on 08:40 - Aug 3 with 3201 viewsDixie_CT

Cowardly and abhorrent behaviour. I hope justice is served.

As George Carlin said ‘We are not that far out of the jungle’
Dear Lord on 08:42 - Aug 3 with 3189 viewsPinnerPaul

Wonder why there are less and less referees?

Smaller pool, means less talent, it will/does affect the top levels.
Dear Lord on 08:50 - Aug 3 with 3173 viewsDixie_CT

Dear Lord on 08:42 - Aug 3 by PinnerPaul

Wonder why there are less and less referees?

Smaller pool, means less talent, it will/does affect the top levels.

I’m encouraging my son to become a qualified ref when he turns 14 in February. Great way for him to develop as an individual and earn some decent pocket money.

I feel I will need to be at all of his games to support him but also protect him from the parents/coaches.
Dear Lord on 08:54 - Aug 3 with 3137 viewsPinnerPaul

Dear Lord on 08:50 - Aug 3 by Dixie_CT

I’m encouraging my son to become a qualified ref when he turns 14 in February. Great way for him to develop as an individual and earn some decent pocket money.

I feel I will need to be at all of his games to support him but also protect him from the parents/coaches.

On the flip side events like that ARE incredibly rare.

Good luck to your son, you are quite right, if he enjoys it, a great way to learn and develop life skills.
Dear Lord on 08:58 - Aug 3 with 3099 viewsDixie_CT

Dear Lord on 08:54 - Aug 3 by PinnerPaul

On the flip side events like that ARE incredibly rare.

Good luck to your son, you are quite right, if he enjoys it, a great way to learn and develop life skills.

Thanks Pinner. He is keen to do it, which I’m slightly surprised about as he can be very lazy, but I think the responsibility will do him good.

I agree, incidents are rare, but as a coach, I’ve seen other coaches go at, parents go at coaches, and parents go at parents. I expect to be an insurance policy, not a bouncer. Fingers crossed.
Dear Lord on 09:27 - Aug 3 with 2935 viewsderbyhoop

My son has given up playing after dislocating his shoulder. Now reffing.

Over 35s game a player called him a "sh1t ref".
Response was "if I was any good I wouldn't be reffing at your level". Game, set & match?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Dear Lord on 09:48 - Aug 3 with 2884 viewsdaveB

Dear Lord on 08:50 - Aug 3 by Dixie_CT

We used to have young 14/15 years olds reffing my sons games when he was in under 8/9 leagues. Was good experience for them and easy pocket money as well. Parents a nightmare though, we had a few who treated every game like a world cup final was part of why my son didn't want to do it anymore, also partly that he was rubbish but we go with the former to not completly destroy his confidence
Login to get fewer ads

Dear Lord on 09:49 - Aug 3 with 2881 viewsterryb

Dear Lord on 09:27 - Aug 3 by derbyhoop

Response was "if I was any good I wouldn't be reffing at your level". Game, set & match?

That's the sort of response that you normally only think of when it is too late to use!
Dear Lord on 09:52 - Aug 3 with 2865 viewsterryb

Hopefully he was taken directly to gaol.
Dear Lord on 09:59 - Aug 3 with 2806 viewsBlackCrowe

My daughter did the FA course and got her ref badges at 16. It's been great for her plus the pay works out at around £20 an hour which at that age is a fortune. Two years on she's about to go to Uni and will carry on reffing at wherever she ends up, she'll never earn that amount as a student doing bar working, waiting table etc.

Generally she hasn't copped too much flak. There was one time when the opposing manager was screaming and swearing at her on a penalty decision and she calmly went up to him and said 'you do realise you are a middle-aged shouting and swearing and 17 year old girl'. He was crushed and apologised profusely.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Dear Lord on 10:28 - Aug 3 with 2723 viewsStanisgod

Probably would have got a yellow and a 'play on' from Stroud 😳

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Dear Lord on 10:32 - Aug 3 with 2695 viewsslmrstid

Dear Lord on 09:59 - Aug 3 by BlackCrowe

My daughter did the FA course and got her ref badges at 16. It's been great for her plus the pay works out at around £20 an hour which at that age is a fortune. Two years on she's about to go to Uni and will carry on reffing at wherever she ends up, she'll never earn that amount as a student doing bar working, waiting table etc.

Generally she hasn't copped too much flak. There was one time when the opposing manager was screaming and swearing at her on a penalty decision and she calmly went up to him and said 'you do realise you are a middle-aged shouting and swearing and 17 year old girl'. He was crushed and apologised profusely.

Good on her! Good luck to her at Uni too.
Dear Lord on 10:55 - Aug 3 with 2610 viewsloftboy

Dear Lord on 09:27 - Aug 3 by derbyhoop

A game I was reffing a player was in my ear all game, nothing too bad but niggly, anyhow he missed a sitter from 3 yards, I couldn’t help but whisper in his ear “ and you think I’m shit” always had a decent rapport with him after that.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Dear Lord on 11:48 - Aug 3 with 2429 viewsLoftgirl

Dear Lord on 10:28 - Aug 3 by Stanisgod

Probably would have got a yellow and a 'play on' from Stroud 😳

Especially if was Bournemouth.
Dear Lord on 15:05 - Aug 3 with 2095 viewsDixie_CT

Dear Lord on 09:48 - Aug 3 by daveB

We used to have young 14/15 years olds reffing my sons games when he was in under 8/9 leagues. Was good experience for them and easy pocket money as well. Parents a nightmare though, we had a few who treated every game like a world cup final was part of why my son didn't want to do it anymore, also partly that he was rubbish but we go with the former to not completly destroy his confidence

Sorry to hear your son was put off playing by idiotic parents. Hope he found something else to enjoy.
Dear Lord on 15:06 - Aug 3 with 2092 viewsDixie_CT

Dear Lord on 09:59 - Aug 3 by BlackCrowe

Put that in the referee manual and on the coaching courses!!

As a coach I felt I had the right to speak to the referee but I wasn’t in the business of challenging or chastising them. What does it gain?
Dear Lord on 18:56 - Aug 3 with 1836 viewsbosh67

In the case of this clip that is a jail sentence and a lifetime ban from playing football. Disgusting.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Dear Lord on 20:14 - Aug 3 with 1688 viewsBoston

Dear Lord on 15:06 - Aug 3 by Dixie_CT

Put that in the referee manual and on the coaching courses!!

As a coach I felt I had the right to speak to the referee but I wasn’t in the business of challenging or chastising them. What does it gain?

Exactly. When I had an involvement with youth football our league banned coaches / spectators from questioning a ref about any decision they had made. I did ask sometimes and often got a reply because I wasn't there to chastise, just wanted to know the officials thinking on a call, which they usually gave, maybe my accent helped😀
[Post edited 3 Aug 2022 20:15]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Dear Lord on 09:44 - Aug 4 with 1362 viewsdavman

Dear Lord on 18:56 - Aug 3 by bosh67

In the case of this clip that is a jail sentence and a lifetime ban from playing football. Disgusting.

It is and really interesting that most of the responses on the Tweet focus on the fact that the ref was a woman. That maybe an additional factor, but should be largely irrelevant; the attack was disgusting whether on a man or woman.

Absolutely with Pinner on this; this is a major factor why people are not interested in reffing, leading to the "top" refs coming from a smaller pool. How do refs get recruited to the top lists? Do they all have to go through grass roots (where this sort of thing has to be more prevalent) or is there a selection process for people to be fast tracked? Surely the latter would be a way of "protecting" refs who don't want to go through the grass roots shite who can offer something at the top level?

Also, is that a professional game, 'cos looking at the physique of some of those players, I could have made some money out there well into my 40s. A number (including the hitman) would be well into the Super Heavyweight category if they were boxers.

A horrible and unnecessary scene. Horrible.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Dear Lord on 11:06 - Aug 4 with 1286 viewsozranger

It is quite interesting that the first thing that I noted is not the fact there was an attack per se, but that the attack was from behind.

Some years ago there were a rather large number of these type of attacks late at night in various cities in Australia. The state and territory governments, to clamp down on these blind attacks from behind (termed "coward punches"), implemented automatic jail terms of up to ten years or longer if the person died or suffered an ongoing life threatening injury. Most of those attacked fell hitting their head on the hard ground which was either fatal or significantly damaging.

But, as per the referee's own voice from the various commentary on this incident, this is not an attack on a woman, but a cowardly attack on a person. The individual has been arrested and the referee is pressing charges according to reports.
Dear Lord on 12:00 - Aug 4 with 1212 viewsQPR_John

I take the point that it was a cowardly attack on a person regardless of gender but maybe it’s a generation thing but for me the fact it was a women makes it of a magnitude far worse.
Dear Lord on 15:04 - Aug 4 with 1109 viewsPinnerPaul

Dear Lord on 09:44 - Aug 4 by davman

It is and really interesting that most of the responses on the Tweet focus on the fact that the ref was a woman. That maybe an additional factor, but should be largely irrelevant; the attack was disgusting whether on a man or woman.

Absolutely with Pinner on this; this is a major factor why people are not interested in reffing, leading to the "top" refs coming from a smaller pool. How do refs get recruited to the top lists? Do they all have to go through grass roots (where this sort of thing has to be more prevalent) or is there a selection process for people to be fast tracked? Surely the latter would be a way of "protecting" refs who don't want to go through the grass roots shite who can offer something at the top level?

Also, is that a professional game, 'cos looking at the physique of some of those players, I could have made some money out there well into my 40s. A number (including the hitman) would be well into the Super Heavyweight category if they were boxers.

A horrible and unnecessary scene. Horrible.

Your first paragraph is exactly what was said on RefChat.

No there is no FastTrack as such. Only exception is if you are an experienced, qualified referee arriving from another country or taking up refereeing here, then the FA will make a decision on what level you should be at.

If they are too kind, you would soon be demoted, too harsh and you would soon get promoted.

It IS possible to double jump 2 levels to speed things up a bit, but really you just have to be good, fit and, before going FT, have a job/employer that allows flexible working.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2022 15:05]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024