Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saturday's Game ? 19:00 - Sep 8 with 27281 viewsconnell10

I presume all football games will be cancelled on Saturday.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Saturday's Game ? on 13:10 - Sep 9 with 2386 viewsdmm

Saturday's Game ? on 13:08 - Sep 9 by Ranger_Things

Keep calm and carry on, my arse.

My arse usually does that too unless I've eaten an extra hot curry.
Saturday's Game ? on 13:15 - Sep 9 with 2361 viewsbellomatic

how annoying and pointless... would have been much better to have a minute's silence in the ground. I always find that rather emotional.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2022 13:17]
Saturday's Game ? on 13:20 - Sep 9 with 2323 viewsrrrspricey

Very sad but cancelling football is ridiculous. Won't close theatres cinemas etc, don't see how watching sport is disrespectful but a show/film isn't
Saturday's Game ? on 13:21 - Sep 9 with 2297 viewsRanger_Things

Football cancelled but still no decision whether the day of the funeral will be a Bank Holiday.
Saturday's Game ? on 13:22 - Sep 9 with 2297 viewsHayesender

Sundays horse racing is on, so no need to cancel the midweek games or next week's.

Wrong decision to cancel the weekend games imo

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Saturday's Game ? on 13:37 - Sep 9 with 2196 viewsManinBlack

I fully understand why people want to mourn and they are free to do so in their own way. What I struggle with is cancelling sport and thereby depriving us of our weekend leisure activities after a week at work. We should be able to choose between standing outside Buckingham Palace or going to Loftus Road. Its as if we are being told to grieve and no enjoying yourself.

What with the world Cup only months away it means shoe-horning in more fixtures in a packed schedule.
Saturday's Game ? on 14:54 - Sep 9 with 1868 viewsTheChef

Saturday's Game ? on 13:22 - Sep 9 by Hayesender

Sundays horse racing is on, so no need to cancel the midweek games or next week's.

Wrong decision to cancel the weekend games imo

And rugby union matches are still going ahead this weekend so I understand? Where is the consistency?

All part of our classless society of course

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Saturday's Game ? on 14:59 - Sep 9 with 1840 viewsRangersw12

Saturday's Game ? on 13:21 - Sep 9 by Ranger_Things

Football cancelled but still no decision whether the day of the funeral will be a Bank Holiday.

My company have already said they will treat it like a public holiday
Login to get fewer ads

Saturday's Game ? on 15:03 - Sep 9 with 1823 viewsflynnbo

The Test match is back so at least I'll get to see some live sport.
Saturday's Game ? on 15:04 - Sep 9 with 1822 viewsslmrstid

Saturday's Game ? on 14:54 - Sep 9 by TheChef

And rugby union matches are still going ahead this weekend so I understand? Where is the consistency?

All part of our classless society of course

To give you an even more (in my view) bonkers example...

Leicester Riders Basketball were due to play a friendly tonight against a team from Eastern Europe. They've announced this afternoon that the game will still go ahead (presumably because the opposition have travelled all the way here to play) but as a mark of respect the game will now be behind closed doors.

Like...what the hell? You'll still play the game, but won't let anyone attend, because apparently playing it is in respect of the Queen, but letting anyone in isn't.

Bonkers.
Saturday's Game ? on 15:07 - Sep 9 with 1802 viewsTheChef

Saturday's Game ? on 15:04 - Sep 9 by slmrstid

To give you an even more (in my view) bonkers example...

Leicester Riders Basketball were due to play a friendly tonight against a team from Eastern Europe. They've announced this afternoon that the game will still go ahead (presumably because the opposition have travelled all the way here to play) but as a mark of respect the game will now be behind closed doors.

Like...what the hell? You'll still play the game, but won't let anyone attend, because apparently playing it is in respect of the Queen, but letting anyone in isn't.

Bonkers.

"Please stay at home and be miserable"

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Saturday's Game ? on 15:22 - Sep 9 with 1710 viewskensalriser

Postal workers are good to carry on delivering the King's mail so they've paused strike action, but footballers aren't allowed to work and the Bank of England monetary policy committee is so grief stricken it can't attend to matters of national importance next Thursday. What a ridiculous country this is.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2022 15:23]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Saturday's Game ? on 15:22 - Sep 9 with 1700 viewsstowmarketrange

Saturday's Game ? on 13:04 - Sep 9 by terryb

It was the FA that have made the decision & all football has been postponed for this weekend.

On a better note, providing the match against Stoke takes place, we won't be suffering a train strike for the day.

Are the FA going to compensate fans that will out of pocket after a lot would’ve already bought train tickets?I thought not.
Saturday's Game ? on 15:24 - Sep 9 with 1690 views1MoreBrightonR

From what i read in the paper, there is no directive or requirement to cancel sporting events this weekend, and as a result, loads of sports are still going ahead...its the football associations who have decided themselves to postpone the fixtures! annoying.
Saturday's Game ? on 15:37 - Sep 9 with 1619 viewsdaveB

I put this on the other thread but it's all about the footballing governing bodies who like to be seen to do something and now look stupid because no one else followed them
Saturday's Game ? on 15:45 - Sep 9 with 1573 viewsBasingstokeR

I don’t agree with the postponement / cancellations - the Cabinet Office and Royal guidance is pretty flexible that it’s down to individual organisations.

Seems like a PR driven thing from the FA; don’t like the implication that going ahead is somehow disrespectful. Especially as they’ve cancelled (and a lot of it will be cancellations not postponement) all grassroots football this weekend. What’s disrespectful about my 9 year old playing 7aside for an hour with a minutes silence etc?
Saturday's Game ? on 15:53 - Sep 9 with 1526 viewsthehat

Really poor decision made by idiots in grey suits who have no sense of the real world. Completely misread the mood of the people.

It will affect a lot of local economies too that rely on Saturday football income.

Imagine the waste - all the food that's been purchased all the programmes that have been printed teams already in hotels etc

People on zero hours contracts in hospitality will now not be paid

Then the fans all plans cancelled travel costs lost etc etc

How can they get it so wrong
Saturday's Game ? on 15:55 - Sep 9 with 1512 viewsPhildo

who could have guessed that the football authorities would make the wrong call?
Saturday's Game ? on 16:06 - Sep 9 with 1442 viewsDamo1962

Maybe the reaction of Liverpool "fans" is part of their thinking 🤔
Saturday's Game ? on 16:12 - Sep 9 with 1411 viewsBasingstokeR

It can’t be that can it
Problem: Some Liverpool fans might cause some embarrassment at a game this weekend
Answer: call off all levels of football for the whole weekend nationwide from adult down to u7?
Saturday's Game ? on 16:17 - Sep 9 with 1373 viewsQPRcounsellor

Saturday's Game ? on 15:53 - Sep 9 by thehat

Really poor decision made by idiots in grey suits who have no sense of the real world. Completely misread the mood of the people.

It will affect a lot of local economies too that rely on Saturday football income.

Imagine the waste - all the food that's been purchased all the programmes that have been printed teams already in hotels etc

People on zero hours contracts in hospitality will now not be paid

Then the fans all plans cancelled travel costs lost etc etc

How can they get it so wrong

Perfectly put.
Saturday's Game ? on 17:08 - Sep 9 with 1209 viewsstowmarketrange

Welsh premier league games are set to go ahead as planned.Sensible decision or insensitive?
I personally think all games should’ve been played so that we could all pay our respects in the correct manner instead of in front of a tv screen watching the news on a loop.
Saturday's Game ? on 17:08 - Sep 9 with 1210 viewsjoe90

When you’ve had Liverpool fans booing the anthem and the Shamrock Rovers fans singing songs about the Queen which will probably inspire Celtic fans, I can see why the football authorities didn’t want to risk it. You don’t really have the same problem in other sports.

It’s actually really not a big deal moving a game, sky do it all the time and at least this is for a major event.

Doesn’t matter what you think of the Queen or what you think the Queen would have wanted, because this is the what’s happening.
Saturday's Game ? on 17:11 - Sep 9 with 1197 viewsQPRcounsellor

Saturday's Game ? on 17:08 - Sep 9 by joe90

When you’ve had Liverpool fans booing the anthem and the Shamrock Rovers fans singing songs about the Queen which will probably inspire Celtic fans, I can see why the football authorities didn’t want to risk it. You don’t really have the same problem in other sports.

It’s actually really not a big deal moving a game, sky do it all the time and at least this is for a major event.

Doesn’t matter what you think of the Queen or what you think the Queen would have wanted, because this is the what’s happening.

Safety and over cautious culture based on worst case scenarios, killing the pleasure of life these days. They are going to face this scenario at some point so why not tomorrow? And as others have mentioned, 7 year old football cancelled too. Makes sense.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2022 17:13]
Saturday's Game ? on 17:15 - Sep 9 with 1175 viewsnix

'It''s actually really not a big deal moving a game, sky do it all the time and at least this is for a major event. '

It might not be a big deal for you but it is for the people who might be coming a long distance by train and have bought tickets and paid for hotels. And it's a big deal for me as it's not going to be my birthday when the match is rearranged and my family won't be able to come as they won't be around.

The fact that Sky also do it, doesn't make it any better. If anything it's another kick in the teeth for the people who've spent cash they can't recoup.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024