Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
World Cup of Shame 12:36 - Nov 4 with 14265 viewskensalriser

Anyone joined up to be a temporary member of Qatar's Stasi for the World Cup?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/04/england-and-wales-fans-being-pa

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

World Cup of Shame on 12:39 - Nov 4 with 6550 viewsNorthernr

One of them is the 'leader' of that poxy band.

I mean how would you be able to dare show your face at a game again if people knew you'd taken that coin, never mind turn up and blow a fcking trumpet.

World Cup of Shame on 12:45 - Nov 4 with 6499 viewstraininvain

World Cup of Shame on 12:39 - Nov 4 by Northernr

I mean how would you be able to dare show your face at a game again if people knew you'd taken that coin, never mind turn up and blow a fcking trumpet.

I thought this was embarrassing stuff from Ronay and wonder if he was paid to spout such nonsense: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/03/qatar-calling-its-critics-racis

‘None of this means Qatar is necessarily wrong. There may well be a racist campaign to portray its working conditions or the criminalisation of homosexuality as bad things. Manchester City’s owners can be the victims of genuine prejudice whatever the issues in the Emirates.’
World Cup of Shame on 12:49 - Nov 4 with 6481 viewsNorthernr

World Cup of Shame on 12:45 - Nov 4 by traininvain

I thought this was embarrassing stuff from Ronay and wonder if he was paid to spout such nonsense: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/03/qatar-calling-its-critics-racis

‘None of this means Qatar is necessarily wrong. There may well be a racist campaign to portray its working conditions or the criminalisation of homosexuality as bad things. Manchester City’s owners can be the victims of genuine prejudice whatever the issues in the Emirates.’

Gary Neville has damaged his brand a great deal with this too for me.

And David Beckham, who appeared on the front of Attitude when that suited his brand and bank balance, now shilling for Qatar as well.
World Cup of Shame on 12:53 - Nov 4 with 6465 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Last I heard, ticket sales were sluggish.

A combination of factors not least of which: tickets are bloody expensive! Then you throw in all the other costs associated with staying in an expensive country like Qatar, at a time of economic downturn, I'd be surprised if they are not giving them away before too long. A tactic they had to adopt for the World Athletic Championships in 2019.

All that aside, always said that a big expensive tournament in a country with precious little to do, and right on the doors of Christmas, would see many give it a swerve! Although I did see on Al Jazeera that there's an extensive program of activities for visitors, albeit it will require your wallet to see the light of day.

Expect this WC to be the most 'forced smile' event imaginable.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

World Cup of Shame on 12:57 - Nov 4 with 6449 viewsdmm

I've been looking for a Boycott Qatar WC 2022 petition or something. I've come across 1 or 2 but they weren't well supported. Anyone know of one?
World Cup of Shame on 12:58 - Nov 4 with 6443 viewsNorthernr

World Cup of Shame on 12:53 - Nov 4 by PlanetHonneywood

Last I heard, ticket sales were sluggish.

A combination of factors not least of which: tickets are bloody expensive! Then you throw in all the other costs associated with staying in an expensive country like Qatar, at a time of economic downturn, I'd be surprised if they are not giving them away before too long. A tactic they had to adopt for the World Athletic Championships in 2019.

All that aside, always said that a big expensive tournament in a country with precious little to do, and right on the doors of Christmas, would see many give it a swerve! Although I did see on Al Jazeera that there's an extensive program of activities for visitors, albeit it will require your wallet to see the light of day.

Expect this WC to be the most 'forced smile' event imaginable.

Northern the younger is going with Polish and a few other QPR regulars.

Like everybody, problems with accom. He's on a bloody cruise ship some of the nights, what fun getting football fans back onto that in the middle of the night - Fyre Festival all over again.

Loads of people are staying Dubai, he reckons there's something daft like 50 flights a day going between the two (nice and green), but some days it's £1k for a ticket on a 40 minute flight.
World Cup of Shame on 13:11 - Nov 4 with 6394 viewsDWQPR

World Cup of Shame on 12:39 - Nov 4 by Northernr

Anything that means that f ucking band stops playing at England games is a bonus for me. Think that since they started up they have done nothing but ruined the atmosphere.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

World Cup of Shame on 13:24 - Nov 4 with 6361 viewsPlanetHonneywood

World Cup of Shame on 12:58 - Nov 4 by Northernr

Like everybody, problems with accom. He's on a bloody cruise ship some of the nights, what fun getting football fans back onto that in the middle of the night - Fyre Festival all over again.

Loads of people are staying Dubai, he reckons there's something daft like 50 flights a day going between the two (nice and green), but some days it's £1k for a ticket on a 40 minute flight.

Incredible really!

The sheer volume of new builds and repurposing that was/was supposed to take place while I was there, was due to provide more than enough accommodation. So if there isn't enough and if ticket sales are sluggish, then it's very odd.

I advised anyone to look into the Dubai/Istanbul options if they simply had to go. But as you say, it's an environmental mare.

Just not sure what a lot of folks will do during their stay that won't cost a bomb. Along the Corniche is apparently the fanszone where you can get alcohol. Should be fun having loads of fans congregated in close proximity getting laruped together, can't see any trouble there!

There is absolutely fcuk all outside of Doha. Some might do the dune bashing I suppose. But that's a one-off expensive trip which will be like the wild west out there with 4x4s charging around all over the place...what could go wrong?

As with any of these big events, it all depends on the locals being fully engaged. I took footage of the first game I went to out there in their Premier League in 2018...50 of us in a 20,000 seater stadium! It's either going to pleasantly surprise us or be the worst WC in living memory.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Login to get fewer ads

World Cup of Shame on 13:40 - Nov 4 with 6278 viewsBuckR

World Cup of Shame on 12:58 - Nov 4 by Northernr

Neville and Lineker swear blindly they are going to use the platform to highlight the issues with Qatar but I don't see it

Do like Neville but its a rare blot on his card
World Cup of Shame on 13:44 - Nov 4 with 6267 viewsIsleworthranger

We fly out on the 18th November and have 12 nights booked in Dubai so will be using the shuttle flights to Doha for the three group games and then fly to Pakistan for a days to watch the first Test Match out there and then back to either Doha or Dubai again

To be fair the tickets are not a bad price and we get a full refund for any remaining up to the final if/when we get knocked out but could be looking at just over a month away from home if we go all the way
World Cup of Shame on 14:06 - Nov 4 with 6157 viewsBoston

All the things that are rotten about the modern day game of football are exemplified in this tournament.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

World Cup of Shame on 14:08 - Nov 4 with 6192 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Always a problem with Guardianista doublethink. What do you do if the bad guys are a minority?
World Cup of Shame on 14:13 - Nov 4 with 6168 viewsWelsh_Ranger

As a Welshman whose nation hasn't qualified for a World Cup since 58 I am going. I wish it was somewhere else and have massive reservations and anxieties and recognise all the issues having read up on most aspects.

I don't support FIFA and the shocking descisions it has made and the obvious bung they have recieved for this BUT we may never qualify for another tournament in my life time!
World Cup of Shame on 14:23 - Nov 4 with 6137 viewsToast_R

World Cup of Shame on 14:13 - Nov 4 by Welsh_Ranger

As a Welshman whose nation hasn't qualified for a World Cup since 58 I am going. I wish it was somewhere else and have massive reservations and anxieties and recognise all the issues having read up on most aspects.

I don't support FIFA and the shocking descisions it has made and the obvious bung they have recieved for this BUT we may never qualify for another tournament in my life time!

Wish you well my friend,

On the topic of celebs for sale, Zidane was the face of the Qatar world cup bid before the votes were bought. Has he come in for much criticism?
World Cup of Shame on 15:23 - Nov 4 with 5969 viewskensalriser

I don't see Ronay as supporting the Qatari narrative in any way here. He explains both sides of the argument but my understanding is that he's undoubtedly not on the Qatari side. The quote you've selected is taken out of context, read the whole piece and the tone is not what you're trying to portray at all. Here's another quote:

'It is also an interesting point in other ways. For a start it invites fair scrutiny of those making it. Plus there is the obvious response that to suggest concerns over corruption, intolerance and workers’ deaths are driven by racism is to devalue and disrespect the racism that less empowered people routinely suffer. And that to do so for political gain is something straight out of the Trump script, the Putin manual, the entitled‑billionaire hissy‑fit playbook.'

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

World Cup of Shame on 15:40 - Nov 4 with 5925 viewstraininvain

World Cup of Shame on 15:23 - Nov 4 by kensalriser

I don't see Ronay as supporting the Qatari narrative in any way here. He explains both sides of the argument but my understanding is that he's undoubtedly not on the Qatari side. The quote you've selected is taken out of context, read the whole piece and the tone is not what you're trying to portray at all. Here's another quote:

'It is also an interesting point in other ways. For a start it invites fair scrutiny of those making it. Plus there is the obvious response that to suggest concerns over corruption, intolerance and workers’ deaths are driven by racism is to devalue and disrespect the racism that less empowered people routinely suffer. And that to do so for political gain is something straight out of the Trump script, the Putin manual, the entitled‑billionaire hissy‑fit playbook.'

How’s this quote taken out of context? I’ve provided a link to the article and I’ve read it more than once but I still find this baffling.

Can you explain what is actually open to debate here? Surely it’s obvious that media coverage of thousands of dead migrant construction workers and Qatar’s backwards laws re homosexuality is not some kind of racist campaign.

You are correct that Ronay does eventually hit the nail on the head but the damage has been done by even suggesting that ‘There may well be a racist campaign to portray its working conditions or the criminalisation of homosexuality as bad things.’
World Cup of Shame on 15:52 - Nov 4 with 5886 viewsdaveB

We had an interesting vodcast at work the other day about the world cup with Ian Wright who said he feels very torn about going and doesn't feel comfortable being in stadiums where so many have died, he's been advised by ammensity international that he should go and speak out when he gets there which he plans to do.

The blame for all this goes to FIFA for giving them them the tournament in the first place, should never have happened. I feel sorry for anyone going who just wants to watch a world cup and are going to be demonaised by it all.

The documentray on ITV last night was superb if anyone has a chance to watch it, will be on the ITV Hub if you missed it.
World Cup of Shame on 16:51 - Nov 4 with 5778 viewsJuzzie

World Cup of Shame on 14:06 - Nov 4 by Boston

All the things that are rotten about the modern day game of football are exemplified in this tournament.

At least with the hooligans of the 80's you knew what to expect. The execs running (or should that be ruining) the game these days are thieves in disguise.
World Cup of Shame on 06:46 - Nov 5 with 5479 viewsTGRRRSSS

Genuine question.

What are they saying elsewhere?

I see the Australian team did their video, but what about elsewhere?

Germany, France, Brazil etc?

I see it's all gone quiet on the kick Iran out narrative too.
World Cup of Shame on 07:49 - Nov 5 with 5417 viewsDorse

World Cup of Shame on 13:11 - Nov 4 by DWQPR

Anything that means that f ucking band stops playing at England games is a bonus for me. Think that since they started up they have done nothing but ruined the atmosphere.

I always feel sorry for the poor cunce who paid for their tickets in good faith only to find themselves sat in front of that pack of slobbering fcuktards for 90 mins. It's bad enough hearing their 'music' in the gaps between Jonathan Pearce frotting himself off over Jack Grealish's calves. Fcuk knows what it would be like in person.

'Man In Critical Condition After Having Trumpet Forced Into Anus Wide End First - witnesses are are said to be stunned but grateful'.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

World Cup of Shame on 08:05 - Nov 5 with 5394 viewsconnell10

Absolutely no appetite for this world cup .....pity it just wasn't called off.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

World Cup of Shame on 08:09 - Nov 5 with 5380 viewsSakura

World Cup of Shame on 14:08 - Nov 4 by Wegerles_Stairs

Always a problem with Guardianista doublethink. What do you do if the bad guys are a minority?

It is quite strange to see the Guardianista's taking an openly racist position

Do we have a right to impose our beliefs on Qatar anymore then some one from Qatar has a right to impose their cultural beliefs and norms onto us in our society

Qatar is a Muslim country. I'm not sure if any of you are aware of this but they tend to take their religion quite seriously and the Quran condemns homosexuality.

Now thankfully that isn't a belief that is acceptable in this country. But I find it surprising the imperialistic and prejudicial views against another country and it's religion being put forward on this board
[Post edited 5 Nov 2022 8:11]
World Cup of Shame on 08:29 - Nov 5 with 5353 viewsconnell10

World Cup of Shame on 08:09 - Nov 5 by Sakura

Do we have a right to impose our beliefs on Qatar anymore then some one from Qatar has a right to impose their cultural beliefs and norms onto us in our society

Qatar is a Muslim country. I'm not sure if any of you are aware of this but they tend to take their religion quite seriously and the Quran condemns homosexuality.

Now thankfully that isn't a belief that is acceptable in this country. But I find it surprising the imperialistic and prejudicial views against another country and it's religion being put forward on this board

It's just pointing it out and holding these country's to some sort account! The thing that grates with me is this whole bid was built on back handers and bungs. People are going to court on the back of corruption charges connected to this and other World Cup bids. So in my opinion this farce of a World Cup should have been called off !

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

World Cup of Shame on 08:32 - Nov 5 with 5347 viewsToast_R

World Cup of Shame on 12:49 - Nov 4 by Northernr

Gary Neville has damaged his brand a great deal with this too for me.

And David Beckham, who appeared on the front of Attitude when that suited his brand and bank balance, now shilling for Qatar as well.

Gary Neville getting torn one last night.
World Cup of Shame on 08:44 - Nov 5 with 5303 viewsdavman

World Cup of Shame on 08:09 - Nov 5 by Sakura

It is a good point on our position to judge what is right and wrong.

Our society appears to have allowed free speech to the point where we can denounce religion and ridicule the doctrine and way of life it promotes, so we are not scared of calling out principles, which just seem wrong and insane.

Other societies do not share that view and take their beliefs and doctrine very, very seriously. And I am slightly uncomfortable with a "better than you" type imposition on such societies.

That said, these are nuts views. You get dickheads who are white, black, Asian, Arabic, Hispanic, etc. - it is not race specific and there are plenty of harmful, coercive heterosexual relationships out there that are clearly Wrong. That is what we should all be calling out irrespective of what a "text book" may or may not be telling us...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024