Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tropical storm 21:20 - Nov 9 with 2768 viewsE17hoop

Currently in Orlando for work and stuck here because of a hurricane. Luckily I'm in great accommodation and on the 1st floor (or 2nd floor if you're American).

Anyone been in a hurricane or tropical storm before?

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

Tropical storm on 21:48 - Nov 9 with 2719 viewsdmm

Keep safe!
Tropical storm on 01:38 - Nov 10 with 2613 viewsBoston

Yes.

and a 6.2 earthquake.

severe Nor'easter

many a wipe out blizzard

staggeringly hard ice storm (not recommended)

unbelievably dense fog (twice actually), one in south Wales, the other on a boat trying to find a Massachusetts harbour, shit myself both times.

plague of locusts

variable mortgage

Leftie spouse...
[Post edited 10 Nov 2022 1:38]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Tropical storm on 01:59 - Nov 10 with 2603 viewsB_Wad

Was on a flight to Mazatlan and saw an ominous black sky out the window. The pilot said "it looks like we are flying into a little storm" and began a quick descent.

I thought it was a tropical storm and wanted to check it out so went for a walk by the beach. Heavy rain, strong winds but nothing too alarming. Turned out to be a hurricane.

And yes, experienced the 6.9 Loma Prieta earthquake.

Stay safe.
Tropical storm on 02:47 - Nov 10 with 2568 viewsBoston

Tropical storm on 01:59 - Nov 10 by B_Wad

Was on a flight to Mazatlan and saw an ominous black sky out the window. The pilot said "it looks like we are flying into a little storm" and began a quick descent.

I thought it was a tropical storm and wanted to check it out so went for a walk by the beach. Heavy rain, strong winds but nothing too alarming. Turned out to be a hurricane.

And yes, experienced the 6.9 Loma Prieta earthquake.

Stay safe.

Plays for Spurs don't he?

Tropical storm on 06:26 - Nov 10 with 2521 viewsstowmarketrange

Tropical storm on 01:38 - Nov 10 by Boston

Yes.

and a 6.2 earthquake.

severe Nor'easter

many a wipe out blizzard

unbelievably dense fog (twice actually), one in south Wales, the other on a boat trying to find a Massachusetts harbour, shit myself both times.

plague of locusts

variable mortgage

Leftie spouse...

You only want fire & flood for the full bible set now don’t you?
[Post edited 10 Nov 2022 6:27]
Tropical storm on 09:45 - Nov 10 with 2453 viewsMichael_Hunt

Was in Naples FLA during Hurricane Ian recently. Horrendous devastation everywhere.
Tropical storm on 09:46 - Nov 10 with 2452 viewsNorthernr

Remember, as only my dad could, being taken on holiday to Hurricane Andrew in 1994ish
Tropical storm on 11:57 - Nov 10 with 2363 viewsE17hoop

Woken up this morning and shít's getting heavier.

The resort have closed the pool and turned off the lifts so people don't get caught in them because of power cuts.

Wind is getting up and the rain is heavier although not torrential yet.

The media here are predicting bad things while the BBC weather site says strong winds and thundery showers.
https://www.bbc.com/weather/4167147

*edit
On a worse note, I'm down to my last 3 tea bags and the store is closed.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2022 11:59]

Login to get fewer ads

Tropical storm on 12:42 - Nov 10 with 2305 viewscollegeranger

Been through a few - lucky enough to have a place on the Gulf Coast and thats all but been wiped out other than the concrete structure after Hurricane Ian ! Batten down the hatches it wont last and it will be only rain and wind in Orlando - we had 9ft storm surges from the sea and canals. It may miss you too we had a holiday 15 years ago or so on Wrightsville Beach on NC - we got evacuated off the island so cut short the holiday by 3 days - went to Charlotte to escape - it cut in 50 miles south and missed Wrightsville completely!

Good luck and dont venture out if it does hit - leave that to lunatic reporters on the Weather Channel!
Tropical storm on 12:46 - Nov 10 with 2297 viewsNorthernr

Tropical storm on 12:42 - Nov 10 by collegeranger

Been through a few - lucky enough to have a place on the Gulf Coast and thats all but been wiped out other than the concrete structure after Hurricane Ian ! Batten down the hatches it wont last and it will be only rain and wind in Orlando - we had 9ft storm surges from the sea and canals. It may miss you too we had a holiday 15 years ago or so on Wrightsville Beach on NC - we got evacuated off the island so cut short the holiday by 3 days - went to Charlotte to escape - it cut in 50 miles south and missed Wrightsville completely!

Good luck and dont venture out if it does hit - leave that to lunatic reporters on the Weather Channel!

DON'T SWIM IN THE SEA.
Tropical storm on 12:48 - Nov 10 with 2277 viewsSheffieldHoop

I was in Jamaica for Cat 5 Ivan in 2004 - I had just started school there, couple of days before the storm landed the school sent us around mask-taping X's on windows (Which it turns out was a complete waste of time) and moving bookcases & desks into the halls, we knew a storm was coming but had no idea the school was going to close. Jackpot, we thought.

They let us go home less than halfway into the day. Our carers were unaware of what the school was planning so we had to make our own way back home, got back to find nobody there, so we went to the beach (Dead end beach in Montego bay) and got in the sea for a few hours. Bit choppy; but nothing we hadn't seen before.

36 hours later and we're struggling to sleep due to the sound of tiles flying off the roof, we lost electricity & running water for what now seems like months, but tbf was probably like 2-3 weeks max....Tbh the hurricane itself seemed to come and go fairly quickly. The worst part was having to go back to school before we'd had our water restored. Mainly passed the time on an old (even then) Gameboy color with SuperMario Bros, which is very possibly still being used by someone over there.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Tropical storm on 14:48 - Nov 10 with 2222 viewskingsburyR

Tropical storm on 01:38 - Nov 10 by Boston

Yes.

and a 6.2 earthquake.

severe Nor'easter

many a wipe out blizzard

plague of locusts

variable mortgage

Leftie spouse...

The variable mortgage is the scariest of the lot!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Tropical storm on 14:56 - Nov 10 with 2202 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Tropical storm on 09:45 - Nov 10 by Michael_Hunt

Was in Naples FLA during Hurricane Ian recently. Horrendous devastation everywhere.

I watched a few fly over drone videos and it was both horryfing and heartbreaking at the same time.A few of the islands were basically erased from existance and Fort Myers is destroyed and unlikely to ever get back close to what it was.
The actual death toll is still not completed such was the devestation God help those poor souls.
As for being stranded in Orlando normally its torrential rain and gale force winds that are the biggest threat but nothing is certain during those storms .
Stay safe and when the tea bags run out try coffee with sugar and Half and Half never milk
Tropical storm on 15:07 - Nov 10 with 2181 viewsBoston

Tropical storm on 14:56 - Nov 10 by CLAREMAN1995

I watched a few fly over drone videos and it was both horryfing and heartbreaking at the same time.A few of the islands were basically erased from existance and Fort Myers is destroyed and unlikely to ever get back close to what it was.
The actual death toll is still not completed such was the devestation God help those poor souls.
As for being stranded in Orlando normally its torrential rain and gale force winds that are the biggest threat but nothing is certain during those storms .
Stay safe and when the tea bags run out try coffee with sugar and Half and Half never milk

Fort Myer's is ok, lot of damage but repairable. It's Fort Myers Beach(separate community out on the sand banks), that got destroyed. Lovely spot but nothing much more than light framed 100 year plus old wood housing, lucky it hadn't gone before now.

Tropical storm on 17:49 - Nov 10 with 2128 viewsPaddyhoops

Holloway Road 1987. Carnage!!
Tropical storm on 22:20 - Nov 10 with 2023 viewsE17hoop

That was a doddle.

Daytona beach though...it doesn't have much of a beach any more.

Tropical storm on 22:44 - Nov 10 with 1997 viewsdistortR

our wheelie bin got blown over the other day.
Tropical storm on 08:59 - Nov 11 with 1878 viewsBklynRanger

Tropical storm on 22:20 - Nov 10 by E17hoop

That was a doddle.

Daytona beach though...it doesn't have much of a beach any more.

Has it gone then? Hopefully didn't cause too much carnage.

I was around for Hurricane Sandy in, I think, 2011 - that wasn't as big as some others obviously but the power of the wind was something else.

We were living on the top floor and it put a small hole in the roof but not much more where we were.

The worst part personally was the transport disruption - because the subways and tunnels were flooded there were no trains so the whole city was commuting above ground to get to work. Had to cycle from Brooklyn to Harlem, with a slightly warped wheel on my bike because it had sat behind the fridge for months, and it was basically a war - gridlocked traffic and countless arguments. I was knackered.
Tropical storm on 19:27 - Nov 11 with 1755 viewsRebalhoop

Dominican Republic in 96ish,hotel boarded up,no one allowed in or out,and the airport was closed, which was a bastard coz I had tickets for Steeley Dan the day after we were due back,but we locked in the hotel for 2 days.
Fortunately the all inclusive food and rum made it a bit more tolerable,never did get to see The Dan...
Tropical storm on 19:32 - Nov 11 with 1751 viewsaston_hoop

I did a passage on a cargo ship from the Panama canal to Texas about 10 years ago and the first night passing out up the coast of Central America things got very hairy. The crew taught me how to angle my mattress up the side of the wall so I could sleep without being thrown out of bed every few minutes. I've never thrown up so many times in my life.

Apparently it was a quite normal storm, fck knows what a tropical one is like.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Tropical storm on 22:21 - Nov 11 with 1680 viewsdanehoop

Tropical storm on 19:32 - Nov 11 by aston_hoop

I did a passage on a cargo ship from the Panama canal to Texas about 10 years ago and the first night passing out up the coast of Central America things got very hairy. The crew taught me how to angle my mattress up the side of the wall so I could sleep without being thrown out of bed every few minutes. I've never thrown up so many times in my life.

Apparently it was a quite normal storm, fck knows what a tropical one is like.

So, was it quiet before the storm? Always thought that was unlikely.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2022 22:45]

Never knowingly understood

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024