Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welsh "National Anthem" 19:00 - Nov 21 with 6769 viewsdavman

Last time I looked that wasn't it...

...did I miss something that our King is only English and only deserves the English National Anthem in his name?
Or did he serve as the Prince of Wales with distinction for over 60 years?

Disrespectful to the max.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Welsh "National Anthem" on 19:08 - Nov 21 with 4664 viewsMaggsinho

It’s an unofficial anthem but has been used for the rugby since the 1900s and the football since 1975
Welsh "National Anthem" on 19:28 - Nov 21 with 4593 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Yanks should have been singing GSTK too!

Did the opening poster not go tothe 2003 PO Final in Cardiff.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Welsh "National Anthem" on 21:00 - Nov 21 with 4447 viewsDorse

Welsh "National Anthem" on 19:08 - Nov 21 by Maggsinho

It’s an unofficial anthem but has been used for the rugby since the 1900s and the football since 1975

It's like our unofficial anthem: the Archers theme.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Welsh "National Anthem" on 09:40 - Nov 22 with 4018 viewsrobith

Cope harder
Welsh "National Anthem" on 09:47 - Nov 22 with 3982 viewsSonofpugwash

At least they know the words to theirs.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Welsh "National Anthem" on 09:57 - Nov 22 with 3988 viewsterryb

I've not noticed that God Save The Queen was ever played for Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland at Commonwealth Games. Or any event where it was the "nation" that was being represented.
Welsh "National Anthem" (n/t) on 09:57 - Nov 22 with 3989 viewstidydarts

Disrespectful to this ratio
[Post edited 22 Nov 2022 9:58]
Welsh "National Anthem" on 16:46 - Nov 22 with 3810 viewsrrrspricey

Land Of My Father's has been used as the Welsh national anthem for nigh-on 50 years and all of a sudden, the Queen dies, they get to the finals and they're being disrespectful...do me a favour.

It's a brilliant anthem and if the English are unhappy with it maybe they should use that energy to come up with their own instead of misappropriating the UK one.
Login to get fewer ads

Welsh "National Anthem" on 16:58 - Nov 22 with 3790 viewsDiggertheMole

As far as I'm concerned, the Welsh are entitled to their own national anthem. Anything is better than the dirge England players and fans are obliged to mouth prior to any sporting occasion. Perhaps, also, London clubs' tendency to remind supporters of anywhere west of Slough that they are "Welsh and you know you are" legitimizes their case still more strongly. At rugby I've heard "Jerusalem", "Fields of Athenry" and a whole assortment of welsh songs belted out with enthusiasm and skill (The welsh and Irish are much better singers!). At Murrayfield "Flower of Scotland" still causes hair on back of neck to rise up but "God Save Our Gracious Queen/King/Prince of Wales" is dull, lifeless and, frankly boring. Apart from vaguely racist football chants and the dreadful "Swing Low Sweet Chariot", it seems English sports fans lack the wit and willingness to support their nation. No disrespect to the Royal Family but maybe the suggestion of the theme to "The Archers" is a better idea than appeared at first.
Welsh "National Anthem" on 17:05 - Nov 22 with 3767 viewsJames_Paddocks

Fair play to them. It's a cracking anthem too.

Wish we could bin off GSTK.

'Dirge: a song or piece of music that is considered too slow, miserable, or boring'.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2022 17:10]
Welsh on 18:24 - Nov 22 with 3654 viewsNewBee

Welsh "National Anthem" on 09:57 - Nov 22 by terryb

I've not noticed that God Save The Queen was ever played for Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland at Commonwealth Games. Or any event where it was the "nation" that was being represented.

At the Commonwealth Games, the England team plays a hymn to that quintessentially English city, 'Jerusalem'.

Scotland has Flower of Scotland' - presumably GSTQ isn't enough of a dirge for that miserable lot. Of course, it does celebrate sticking it to the English in 1314, though as the Pub Landlord helpfully points out, winning a Heat is all very well, but it was the Final at Culloden in 1745 which really counts.

Wales has ‘Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau’, which they share with the Republic of Dyslexia.

Northern Ireland has a song beloved by the patrons of every Irish-American bar in New York at 2 in the morning, Danny Boy (guaranteed to bring a tear to the eye, though not necessarily for the right reasons).

While our Manx cousins alternate between 'Stand By Your Man' and the Beatles' 'The Taxman' and the Channel Islands will play 'Lost in France' should they ever win a medal.

As for the Falklands, their choice is the rather obvious "Don't Cry For Me Argentina (Just Fcuk Off)".

As for football, England retains GSTK, though it will probably take them another few years before they remember to replace a mumbled "Queen" with a mumbled "King" .

Scotland retain Flower of Scotland - you can never have enough maudling and besides, they must never let people forget the last time they won something, 708 years ago.

And having gone to all the trouble of learning their own anthem, the Weslh couldn't be arsed learning another, so they're stuck with [insert incomprehensible jumble of consonants here]

And Northern Ireland play God Save The King, typically opting for a universally loved and accepted tune that no-one could ever possibly object to.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2022 18:32]
Welsh "National Anthem" on 18:46 - Nov 22 with 3642 viewsthemodfather

sick of the welsh build up in media, total love in. stop bale stop wales.
Welsh "National Anthem" on 19:18 - Nov 22 with 3612 viewsdavman

Lots of down votes - fair enough. Maybe I'm old fashioned, maybe it's an English thing, but first and foremost I am British. I like things like our pomp and ceremony; I like it when we do things "right".

Yet everyone else wants some independence - the Scots at least are open about it; NI and the Welsh (for the moment) want to stick with us - thanks, guys. We are one country as far as I am concerned.

We have a National Anthem, which a'int gonna win Euro vision any time soon, but it is ours and has been there all my life (although now they've gone and changed the words, I'll get confused). If it doesn't get played at sporting events, we won't hear it unless we go to the Proms or a coronation.

That would be a shame.

Just my view, down vote it all you want...

Can we go out yet?

Welsh "National Anthem" on 20:47 - Nov 22 with 3513 viewskensalriser

All of which is to say that it makes no sense for the England team to use GSTK because it's not an England anthem, it's a UK one.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Welsh "National Anthem" on 20:52 - Nov 22 with 3502 viewsBucksRanger

Absolutely, drop GSTK and replace it with an archetypal English song such as "Waterloo Sunset".
Welsh on 08:46 - Nov 23 with 3325 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Welsh "National Anthem" on 16:58 - Nov 22 by DiggertheMole

As far as I'm concerned, the Welsh are entitled to their own national anthem. Anything is better than the dirge England players and fans are obliged to mouth prior to any sporting occasion. Perhaps, also, London clubs' tendency to remind supporters of anywhere west of Slough that they are "Welsh and you know you are" legitimizes their case still more strongly. At rugby I've heard "Jerusalem", "Fields of Athenry" and a whole assortment of welsh songs belted out with enthusiasm and skill (The welsh and Irish are much better singers!). At Murrayfield "Flower of Scotland" still causes hair on back of neck to rise up but "God Save Our Gracious Queen/King/Prince of Wales" is dull, lifeless and, frankly boring. Apart from vaguely racist football chants and the dreadful "Swing Low Sweet Chariot", it seems English sports fans lack the wit and willingness to support their nation. No disrespect to the Royal Family but maybe the suggestion of the theme to "The Archers" is a better idea than appeared at first.

I guess several years of the Rangers singing a song outing Jose Mourinho must have been purgatory for you.

I do agree that Bread of Heaven sung at CAP/TMS is something to be hold. Not been to Murrayfield or the Aviva, but if it weren't for the presence of bagpipes, I think FOS would be up there vying for second place behind the Welsh. I know it's not hugely popular but the key change in 'Ireland's Call' is magnificent.

Personally, I think GSTK would benefit from a faster tempo. Its impossible to hear it sung at the speed it is and not be reminded of the Billy Connolly sketch.

If England were to open it up to a personalised anthem, what would it be? 'I vow to thee my country' although taken by the rugby, is beautiful. The wording and title of 'Jerusalem' rules that out, but it too is a top tune.

As long as its not the ghastly 'Rule Britannia' I'm up for a change. Also, tempted to really throw the rule book out the window and upset the apple cart and say: we don't need one thanks, confident enough in our identity and would prefer to crack on! That or 'Back Home'....

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Welsh "National Anthem" on 14:41 - Nov 23 with 3174 viewsWelsh_Ranger

Welsh "National Anthem" on 16:46 - Nov 22 by rrrspricey

Land Of My Father's has been used as the Welsh national anthem for nigh-on 50 years and all of a sudden, the Queen dies, they get to the finals and they're being disrespectful...do me a favour.

It's a brilliant anthem and if the English are unhappy with it maybe they should use that energy to come up with their own instead of misappropriating the UK one.

I've just returned from Doha and was proud to hear our anthem sung by a passionate 4k of Welsh fans as it has been sung in the CCS and at the rugby for years. I'm not going to call out the OP but they should do their research first. I am 38 and we have never sang GSTK/Q at any sporting event.
Welsh "National Anthem" on 14:46 - Nov 23 with 3172 viewsWelsh_Ranger

Welsh "National Anthem" on 18:46 - Nov 22 by themodfather

I hate to argue with a fellow R but oh my god please, please, please walk a day in the shoes of anyone from the UK who isn't English. The pro England media bias is horrific and incredibly one sided and has been for as long as I can remember.

For a nation of our size we should be applauded for the way we have grown and developed over the last 15 years and if you don't think or appreciate that then your not a true football fan.

Your opinion is so narrow minded it makes me so angry that your a QPR fan.
Welsh on 16:04 - Nov 23 with 3101 viewsrobith

Welsh "National Anthem" on 19:18 - Nov 22 by davman

Lots of down votes - fair enough. Maybe I'm old fashioned, maybe it's an English thing, but first and foremost I am British. I like things like our pomp and ceremony; I like it when we do things "right".

Yet everyone else wants some independence - the Scots at least are open about it; NI and the Welsh (for the moment) want to stick with us - thanks, guys. We are one country as far as I am concerned.

We have a National Anthem, which a'int gonna win Euro vision any time soon, but it is ours and has been there all my life (although now they've gone and changed the words, I'll get confused). If it doesn't get played at sporting events, we won't hear it unless we go to the Proms or a coronation.

That would be a shame.

Just my view, down vote it all you want...

I wrote a long reply about perhaps reflecting on the primacy of English desires to concepts of Britishness and why others rankle for their own expression of identity, but tbh I'm just too rattled at your summation of the history of Northern Ireland as "they want to stick with us"

edit: for context my downvote was lovingly done purely because you asked us to
[Post edited 23 Nov 2022 16:05]
Welsh "National Anthem" on 20:07 - Nov 23 with 3017 viewsdavman

Welsh "National Anthem" on 14:41 - Nov 23 by Welsh_Ranger

I've just returned from Doha and was proud to hear our anthem sung by a passionate 4k of Welsh fans as it has been sung in the CCS and at the rugby for years. I'm not going to call out the OP but they should do their research first. I am 38 and we have never sang GSTK/Q at any sporting event.

Fair enough for calling me out and I know that it is only England that uses the National Anthem for sporting events. Doesn't make it right that no-one else does...

But hey ho, it is what it is (c) JFH; no point wasting energy on something I can't change and don't actually care that much about. It is a shame though...

Can we go out yet?

Welsh "National Anthem" on 23:32 - Nov 23 with 2896 viewstkqpr

I love the story behind this song. I thought this was the adopted national anthem?

I rewound the Wales match the other night to hopefully hear them sing this, but they didnt.

Welsh "National Anthem" on 06:46 - Nov 24 with 2824 viewspaulparker

Welsh "National Anthem" on 18:46 - Nov 22 by themodfather

Agree the commentary was so over the top the other night and Wales were nothing special including the messiah Mr Bale
I hope we smash them next week and send them packing home, then perhaps we can see a video of Harry Kane and co dancing around the dressing room like demented chimps like Wales were in euro 2016

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Welsh "National Anthem" on 08:12 - Nov 24 with 2772 viewsRangersw12

I'm surprised half their squad even knew the national anthem 👀
Welsh "National Anthem" on 08:28 - Nov 24 with 2759 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Cardiff doing 'Men of Harlech' at the millenium sounded amazing.

That may be because I love 'Zulu' though.

'Rule Britannia' and 'I vow to thee my country' are not English enough so I guess I'd go with Jerusalem as the lyrics are English enough.
Failing that Kate Bush 'Oh England My Lionheart' might be a tad too slow.

"Oh, England, my lionheart
Peter Pan steals the kids in Kensington Park
You read me Shakespeare on the rolling Thames
That old river poet that never, ever ends
Our thumping hearts hold the ravens in
Keep the Tower from tumbling

Oh, England, my lionheart
Dropped from my black spitfire to my funeral barge
Give me one kiss in apple blossom
Give me one wish and I'd be wassailing
In the orchard my English rose
Or with my shepherd who'll bring me home"

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Welsh "National Anthem" on 09:23 - Nov 24 with 2703 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Welsh "National Anthem" on 08:12 - Nov 24 by Rangersw12

I'm surprised half their squad even knew the national anthem 👀

I tell you one thing, and not to pick a fight or anything but you just reminded me - I watched them before the USA game and every one of them knew all the words and absolutely belted it out.

As a supporter of the Republic of Ireland I was envious, and embarrassed. We've got lads who've played 50 and a 100 games and never bothered to learn ours.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024