Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing 12:37 - Feb 20 with 54636 viewsAntti_Heinola

Just hope it works out with him.
Couldn't bear to see a legend get ripped apart by our fans.

Bare bones.

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 12:38 - Feb 20 with 13171 viewsloftupper

Another legend ripped apart by our fans
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 12:44 - Feb 20 with 13036 viewsngbqpr

Who else is there?

Usually immediately after we part company with a manager (and for a good month before it actually happens) there would be a long thread on here debating who could / should come next...and much as there will often be several unrealistic names touted (eg Dyche), there will normally be a good few realistic options in there too.

The silence today is deafening.

Likewise we're not seeing a bunch of recommendations to replace Lee & Les. Do we really think our owners have the knowledge / contacts to get that right if they want to dump the current incumbents?

Sad state of affairs.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 12:46 - Feb 20 with 13003 viewsRangersw12

Good luck to him

Don't understand this narrative that we will rip him apart?, the support in the actual grounds has been good for previous managers and it's only the loud minority on twitter who are dcks
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 12:56 - Feb 20 with 12884 viewsrobith

Surprised he'd want to come him, Wycombe are flying.

On a personal level, going with my mate who is a Wycombe season ticket holder to a game on March 4th. Worried I'll get lynched if we steal him
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 12:57 - Feb 20 with 12873 viewsAntti_Heinola

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 12:46 - Feb 20 by Rangersw12

Good luck to him

Don't understand this narrative that we will rip him apart?, the support in the actual grounds has been good for previous managers and it's only the loud minority on twitter who are dcks

yeah i suppose that's fair. I'm probably overreacting.
But plenty were horrible about Gerry second time around, and loads have been nasty about Ollie in the past with stupid nicknames etc on here.
At least he'll have the (initial) full support of everyone. Sat should be a great atmosphere.

Bare bones.

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 12:57 - Feb 20 with 12867 viewsrobith

Good luck to him

Do you think the accounts on twitter that were demanding Dyche in the summer and Wilder now are gonna give Ainsworth a fair crack of the whip?
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:01 - Feb 20 with 12769 viewsdaveB

not many legends have been ripped apart as manager. Holloway still very well liked, Gerry Francis awful towards the end but that's forgotten now, Waddock and Alan Mcdonald were dreadful but still loved as great players. Even when Les goes he'll still be remembered as a great player imo.

Taking away the ex player thing, he's an obvious candidate due to the job hes done at Wycombe
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:01 - Feb 20 with 12768 viewsRangersw12

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 12:57 - Feb 20 by robith

Do you think the accounts on twitter that were demanding Dyche in the summer and Wilder now are gonna give Ainsworth a fair crack of the whip?

Probably not but they don't represent the fans who go to games.

Loads on twitter wanted Warburton out but people in the grounds were singing his name so they're best ignored and the club would be better for it if they did ignore them!!
Login to get fewer ads

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:07 - Feb 20 with 12648 viewssdm1508

I know some people are unsure about Ainsworth and his style of play but maybe we need to take a step back. We have tried to be all sophisticated and lost the basics of working hard and playing for the shirt. I would hope that Ainsworth could bring that back to us. With regard his style of play he had Eze and utilized him very well. I think it might be more of a case of working with what you got. Also with our Martin now in our ranks maybe hard to beat and getting crosses in the box might be a good thing and then slowly evolve from there. I think as well when he assisted Di Canio here all those years ago apparently he took most of the training due to the language issues and we played some good stuff back then but that might have just been a case of telling the players to go do what they want . If he does that here, I think some might just not turn up lol
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:09 - Feb 20 with 12614 viewsLazyFan

If he comes and we go down, he knows the league and can get out of League One with us and looks as a saviour delt a bad hand.

If he keeps us up, then thesehes seen as a saviour.

If we go down and he fails in League One with us, he can still go back to Wycombe or some other club as we are seen as a basket case and he will be at little fault.

Really its very low risk for Wild Thing. I think he will take it!

zzzzzzzzzz

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:10 - Feb 20 with 12600 viewsCynicalR

Good luck to him

What happens if the reason why he's been at Wycombe Wanderers for 10 years with no-one else taking a punt on him is because he's not good enough?

What happens when players used to working with coaches of the calibre of Beale and before him Mark Warburton justifiably ask what this man has done in his career to justify his appointment at a club of this level and coach players like them? What if the old 'show us your medals' comes out and he can point to being Port Vale's player of the year in 1998?

What happens when seasoned defenders make his long-ball game look like a relic from the 1980s?

There's a lot of reasons why fans will be quick to turn against him.

Something to remember is also that he isn't a club legend but a cult hero which will not afford him the respect both Francis in his second spell and Wilkins got despite clearly being the wrong person for the job.

This has the potential to be a nightmare both on and off the pitch.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2023 13:11]
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:10 - Feb 20 with 12585 viewsNW5Hoop

Never actually watched a whole Wycombe game, so all I know of his style is what people say. Which doesn't sound fun, but we'll see. I don't think anyone foresaw Warnock puttiing together the most purely entertaining team certainly since the mid-90s, and possibly since the 70s.

But his formation … he prefers 4-2-3-1, I read. So what would the first choice XI be?

Dieng

Laird
?
?
Paal

Field
Johansen (if fit. If not … ?)

Willock
?
Chair

Martin
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:12 - Feb 20 with 12543 viewsNed_Kennedys

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 12:57 - Feb 20 by robith

Who cares about a few social media idiots though?
Every club has its share of fvckwit’fans’.
I’m sure Ainsworth doesn’t give a damn about social media: he’s done the job long enough.
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:17 - Feb 20 with 12455 viewsToast_R

There is no right or wrong answer is there really? I still remember some saying they'd stop supporting the club if Neil Warnock was appointed manager in 2010.

Personally I like Ainsworth as an infectious personality. Not sure how he'd go down with the current crop of players who I doubt remember him as a player and not much into Rock n Roll. Surely though he can install some pride in what they're doing as a bare minimum and get their fitness levels maxed.

Is his style of football fashionable? No
Is his style of football effective? Certainly at League One level
Can he adapt to a style with more technical players? Who knows, but we do know giving maximum effort goes a long way at every level in football.

The proof will be in the pudding as they say.
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:24 - Feb 20 with 12306 viewsTheChef

Er. They're talking to him. Doesn't mean he's got the job yet!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:31 - Feb 20 with 12182 viewsjackgbrown

I think we're at the stage now where if it doesn't work out with him people will not blame him. Critchley got a lot of support in the ground and understanding on here for the unenviable position he took on, and he's got no connection to the club, so don't worry about that with Ainsworth too much.

On the one hand I think some of the players that have already phoned it in won't take to someone like him, on the other hand I think f**k them. Given how diabolical we have been defensively of late, someone who can properly organise a team may be no bad thing.

Given his work producing marauding defenders in the past in a back three I'd hope Wilder would get hold of Dickie, but he didn't seem to have a good relationship with Boro board so not sure that would be any better at LR!
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:32 - Feb 20 with 12160 viewsRangersw12

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:10 - Feb 20 by CynicalR

What happens if the reason why he's been at Wycombe Wanderers for 10 years with no-one else taking a punt on him is because he's not good enough?

What happens when players used to working with coaches of the calibre of Beale and before him Mark Warburton justifiably ask what this man has done in his career to justify his appointment at a club of this level and coach players like them? What if the old 'show us your medals' comes out and he can point to being Port Vale's player of the year in 1998?

What happens when seasoned defenders make his long-ball game look like a relic from the 1980s?

Something to remember is also that he isn't a club legend but a cult hero which will not afford him the respect both Francis in his second spell and Wilkins got despite clearly being the wrong person for the job.

What have our players done in their careers? As Ainsworth has done more than any of them

All appointments are risks and he might not be good enough but we just sacked a manager who was one of only 15 with a certain coaching licence and our overpaid mugs of players didn't like him so fck em at the end of the day
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:32 - Feb 20 with 12158 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:17 - Feb 20 by Toast_R

There is no right or wrong answer is there really? I still remember some saying they'd stop supporting the club if Neil Warnock was appointed manager in 2010.

Personally I like Ainsworth as an infectious personality. Not sure how he'd go down with the current crop of players who I doubt remember him as a player and not much into Rock n Roll. Surely though he can install some pride in what they're doing as a bare minimum and get their fitness levels maxed.

Is his style of football fashionable? No
Is his style of football effective? Certainly at League One level
Can he adapt to a style with more technical players? Who knows, but we do know giving maximum effort goes a long way at every level in football.

The proof will be in the pudding as they say.

Is he a screamer on the touchline or more importantly in the dressing room like Derry apparantly.
Will he challange the dead weights collection wages for avoiding pulling on our shirt .
Will he be able to adjust on the fly like making Chair track back and pass the damm ball earlier.
Will he ignore Laird , Roberts ,and the 3 or 4 more quitters who sit down on the field with fake injuries to be subbed off.
Will he start Armstrong alongside Martin to see how a veteran pro plays the game and help him get his first big goal.
If yes get that man in today
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:33 - Feb 20 with 12118 viewsslmrstid

"What happens when players used to working with coaches of the calibre of Beale and before him Mark Warburton justifiably ask what this man has done in his career to justify his appointment at a club of this level and coach players like them? What if the old 'show us your medals' comes out and he can point to being Port Vale's player of the year in 1998?"

As far as this goes I'd be asking the players in return what they've done in their careers to justify being sniffy about who is managing them.
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:36 - Feb 20 with 12031 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Should get the dream team of Gareth and Flavio back together.
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:39 - Feb 20 with 11972 viewsaston_hoop

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:32 - Feb 20 by CLAREMAN1995

Is he a screamer on the touchline or more importantly in the dressing room like Derry apparantly.
Will he challange the dead weights collection wages for avoiding pulling on our shirt .
Will he be able to adjust on the fly like making Chair track back and pass the damm ball earlier.
Will he ignore Laird , Roberts ,and the 3 or 4 more quitters who sit down on the field with fake injuries to be subbed off.
Will he start Armstrong alongside Martin to see how a veteran pro plays the game and help him get his first big goal.
If yes get that man in today

I don't think he's a shouter no, he's an arm round his players trying to make them feel a million dollars. Which to be fair is probably far more what our players need than someone screaming in their faces. If they've downed tools now, someone shouting at them isn't going to help that. Someone trying to understand them and trying to motivate them might though. I think he'll get the best out of our squad by trying to re-integrate the loan players and making them feel part of the club. Basically I think this is happening so its time to focus on what positives I think he can bring.

As for the tactics, I have no real idea what he'll do with our players. Forget the Warnock/Taarabt Ainsworth/Chair comparisons, if he can just get a run out of Chair the same he did with Anis Mehmeti this season then great,

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:40 - Feb 20 with 11945 viewsterryb

I've always been opposed to Ainsworth as manager, partly because of his style of playing, but mostly because I can't get out of my head how out of place he looked as our caretaker manager!

I realise that this is unfair & that he now has considerable management experience. It would also be very different to standing there waiting for Briatore to tell you what to do!

As he has been fairly sucessful (some might say very) at his current club, he should be an obvious candidate for a lot of Championship clubs & perhaps we should now take the plunge. Why he would want to come is beyond me though!

He would certainly have the support of the crowd & is probably aware that we don't appreciate the lack of effort that some of the players have given.
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:43 - Feb 20 with 11883 viewsCynicalR

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:33 - Feb 20 by slmrstid

"What happens when players used to working with coaches of the calibre of Beale and before him Mark Warburton justifiably ask what this man has done in his career to justify his appointment at a club of this level and coach players like them? What if the old 'show us your medals' comes out and he can point to being Port Vale's player of the year in 1998?"

As far as this goes I'd be asking the players in return what they've done in their careers to justify being sniffy about who is managing them.

It doesn't work like that.

The homegrown players have been exposed to the management of a former England manager, Warburton who was one of the most respected coaches at this level an Michael Beale who was/is considered one of the best young coaches in the country and, possibly, further afield.

We have players we've brought in who have played at Chelsea, Liverpool, PSV Eindhoven, Spurs and Manchester United and they will ask questions about someone who the most high-profile club he has managed is Wycombe Wanderers and the most high-profile player is Adebayo Akinfenwa.

Unless he is brought in by the club expecting relegation and getting the building blocks in already, he will have a couple of months at best to win the players over.

It's unlikely to happen in my opinion.
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:43 - Feb 20 with 11874 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

That’s the spirit!
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:45 - Feb 20 with 11842 viewsaston_hoop

Hopefully I can find the full episode for people to get an idea but this is him with our fave wee Paul Smyth

[Post edited 20 Feb 2023 13:45]

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024