Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Few Thoughts 23:19 - Aug 5 with 24554 viewsdaveB

Hard to know where to start today, Ainsworth has had all summer to put a game plan together, some sort of plan to stop opposition playing and to create goals and chances for us, that today was an absolute disgrace.

Just stood off them with everyone behind the ball, plan was when they have it keep dropping deeper, never tried to win the ball back, no closing just hold the shape it will be alright, never worked from the 1st minute, Watford could and should have scored 7 in the first half and added at least 3 more in the second. It was men against boys, the number of times the centre half ran 20 yards forward with not a tackle and 2 passes after they were in behind us was laughable

Ainsworth hung several players out to dry today. Playing Kelman in a 4-4-2 against this Watford team was suicidal. Chair stuck out on the left wing looking lost and bringing on Willock with 2 minutes left was a piss take. he can give it back the boys as much as he likes, maybe he should start doing it rather than playing tactics these players can't play.

Players have to take some responsibility as well, Dozzell went missing again. Kakay was embarrassing, Fox looked like he hadn't played football before and Field was awful as well. Gubbins did OK on debut but thats being kind, Duke Mckenna at least put a foot in, Begovic man of the match for keeping the score down but his time wasting at 4-0 down was awful.

One thing I noticed at half time is something Clive talks about a lot, our warm up. I went to the Womens FA Cup final in May, at half time both teams had proper training drills, cones out doing short quick passes then shuttle runs and the shootings practice. Watford today had players running together in one group others doing a triangle passing drill. Our lot? Willock and Richards doing kick ups and having a chat. Archer booting the ball to the other side of the pitch for Dixon Bonner to boot back to him and the others having a chat, no coaches to be seen, we've got hundreds of them why are they not managing this? It was beyond pathetic and sums up the general malaise at the club

We were marginally better second half mainly as we had some sort of shape and pressed the ball every now and then but it was still a long way from being any good and Watford really eased off yet still could have scored 2/3 more goals.

I thought we'd struggle before today, certain of it now. No one is finishing below that rabble. Needed major changes at the end of last season, still need them now and hiding behind FFP now. Ainsworth should have gone in May, Hoos as well, just sleepwalking towards League one
[Post edited 5 Aug 2023 23:23]
Few Thoughts on 10:04 - Aug 6 with 2333 viewsdmm

I agree with much of what's posted here and, from what I can tell, almost everyone feels the same way. Ains has now all but burned up the supporters' goodwill toward him.

I'm still shell shocked at what I witnessed yesterday. Being so inept and so insipid suggests Ains is not only incompetent but the players don't buy into his football. He simply has to go and go quickly otherwise the season is already over for us.
Few Thoughts on 10:12 - Aug 6 with 2308 viewsWatford_Ranger

Few Thoughts on 10:01 - Aug 6 by gazza1

Do they??

Subs not warming up professionally....well I never!!!

We only go on about it because Norf doesn't like it and highlighted the matter. I do not give a flying F about it as long as players coming on are warmed up proper and the two I mention were.

Yes.
Few Thoughts on 10:20 - Aug 6 with 2251 viewsgazza1

Few Thoughts on 10:12 - Aug 6 by Watford_Ranger

Yes.

Well I do not think it makes one iota of difference.....and made no differnce to the result and performance yesterday - but we go on about poor HT warm-ups!!! Big f'ing deal!!!

Lets focus on the things that matter...not HT 'F'ing warm-ups!!
[Post edited 6 Aug 2023 10:21]
Few Thoughts on 10:25 - Aug 6 with 2217 viewsthemodfather

the stats are shocking watford had something like 25 shots, we had 4 , our possession was like 30% , sky sports said watford looked stronger and bigger, that was 4 mins into the game. ae we in tranition? or meltdown? our freefall at the end of last season saw us bereft of ideas , and we cannot let it continue.
Few Thoughts on 10:30 - Aug 6 with 2190 viewsRangersw12

Few Thoughts on 10:20 - Aug 6 by gazza1

Well I do not think it makes one iota of difference.....and made no differnce to the result and performance yesterday - but we go on about poor HT warm-ups!!! Big f'ing deal!!!

I agre far worse problems than the HT warm up but isn't it just another example of the club having no standards though and the complete lack of professionalism.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2023 10:32]
Few Thoughts on 11:23 - Aug 6 with 2080 viewsGloucs_R

Few Thoughts on 23:22 - Aug 5 by hoops_legend

He finished gubbins career as well

He's non league standard. Shouldn't be anywhere near the first team.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Few Thoughts on 11:49 - Aug 6 with 1997 viewsRangersw12

He just doesn't get it does he . It was nothing to do with the fact it was Watford it was more to do with the abysmal way he set the team up .
Few Thoughts on 12:09 - Aug 6 with 1935 viewsWatford_Ranger

Few Thoughts on 10:20 - Aug 6 by gazza1

It’s indicative of a lack of standards.
Login to get fewer ads

Few Thoughts on 12:51 - Aug 6 with 1857 viewsdannyblue

I've reluctantly come to agree. The whole thing is a clusterfck but GA is contributing to that, rather than making it better.

Tactics:
Despite all of the problems that are not his fault, playing only two in the middle against a superior team is suicide. At times Field was pulled out to the ball, Dozell was covering their overlapping fullback/winger on the other side, and we literally had nobody in the middle. Simply an unacceptable set up. If we're an inferior team, as he keeps saying, we need to pack the middle and make other teams work to find a way around us, not give them the keys to the castle. Second half shape was much better even if we were still gash.

Team selection:
Chris Willock wants to go, and he needs to go. Tell him he can go, ideally this window, and for nothing next window, but we'll play him. We'll play him so he has a chance to prove he's over his hamstrings, prove his attitude, score some worldies, and get himself a better move. Suits all parties.

Taylor Richards will never get over whatever his problem is hiding on the bench. We've tried that for over a year and we're seeing nothing different. I'd say, now, put him where he can't hide. Start him for 10 games. See if something clicks and he realises he wants to and can play. We need to give him (and the proportion of our budget he represents) a chance to be what we need. Chances are he'll fail. But at least we'll know.

Psychology:
As others have said the underdog spiel is not going to sit well with the players we have who can be some of the best in the division when on song. Wrong course for this horse.
Few Thoughts on 13:03 - Aug 6 with 1802 viewsCamberleyR

Few Thoughts on 11:49 - Aug 6 by Rangersw12

He just doesn't get it does he . It was nothing to do with the fact it was Watford it was more to do with the abysmal way he set the team up .

"Joe Gubbins made his Championship debut and has waited a long time to do that at this club"

Er, he could have done that in the final game of last season when we were safe in a game with zero pressure and zero expectations.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Few Thoughts on 13:16 - Aug 6 with 1741 viewsNorthernr

Few Thoughts on 12:51 - Aug 6 by dannyblue

I've reluctantly come to agree. The whole thing is a clusterfck but GA is contributing to that, rather than making it better.

Tactics:
Despite all of the problems that are not his fault, playing only two in the middle against a superior team is suicide. At times Field was pulled out to the ball, Dozell was covering their overlapping fullback/winger on the other side, and we literally had nobody in the middle. Simply an unacceptable set up. If we're an inferior team, as he keeps saying, we need to pack the middle and make other teams work to find a way around us, not give them the keys to the castle. Second half shape was much better even if we were still gash.

Team selection:
Chris Willock wants to go, and he needs to go. Tell him he can go, ideally this window, and for nothing next window, but we'll play him. We'll play him so he has a chance to prove he's over his hamstrings, prove his attitude, score some worldies, and get himself a better move. Suits all parties.

Taylor Richards will never get over whatever his problem is hiding on the bench. We've tried that for over a year and we're seeing nothing different. I'd say, now, put him where he can't hide. Start him for 10 games. See if something clicks and he realises he wants to and can play. We need to give him (and the proportion of our budget he represents) a chance to be what we need. Chances are he'll fail. But at least we'll know.

Psychology:
As others have said the underdog spiel is not going to sit well with the players we have who can be some of the best in the division when on song. Wrong course for this horse.

Tactics I completely agree with you, and Dave in the OP which was excellent. You've had all summer to prepare for Watford, and that's what you come up with. Speechless. "We set traps for Watford". Did we? Fck me what was the trap lull them into such a sense of security that they stop playing altogether? Let them punch us and hopefully they'll get tired?

On Willock and Richards though, it's about the only thing I think Ainsworth is right about atm. You cannot play and behave as Willock and Richards are doing and still get in the team. You don't repair or build a culture in team sports by saying Willock and Richards can do what they did at Oxford last week, and then start the first game regardless because of who they are. I would hope, presumably Ainsworth hopes, that leaving them out even if it means picking League Two players and getting beaten 4-0 instead may finally be the thing that makes them pull their fingers out. They should be embarrassed that they cannot even get in that QPR team. I won't hold my breath though.
Few Thoughts on 13:30 - Aug 6 with 1654 viewsdaveB

Few Thoughts on 09:48 - Aug 6 by gazza1

All this nonsense about half time warm ups is rubbish.....

The two players who came on at HT, Armstrong and DM were proper warmed up by 2 coaches.

The others were doing 'their thing'.......why should they get a sweat on knowing that they are not entering play for ages. They then sit down for 30 minutes or more and need to warm up again if required. I'm not so sure that is good practise.

Anyways, HT warm-ups are the least of our problems.

It’s about standards though, I don’t expect them to run through brick walls at half time but it was like kids playing in the park, no one pulling them up and Saying get serious just an attitude of oh wel it doesn’t matter I probably won’t get on anyway

Completely agree it’s low down on list of problems but it’s an easily fixable one
Few Thoughts on 13:37 - Aug 6 with 1615 viewsdaveB

Few Thoughts on 13:16 - Aug 6 by Northernr

Tactics I completely agree with you, and Dave in the OP which was excellent. You've had all summer to prepare for Watford, and that's what you come up with. Speechless. "We set traps for Watford". Did we? Fck me what was the trap lull them into such a sense of security that they stop playing altogether? Let them punch us and hopefully they'll get tired?

On Willock and Richards though, it's about the only thing I think Ainsworth is right about atm. You cannot play and behave as Willock and Richards are doing and still get in the team. You don't repair or build a culture in team sports by saying Willock and Richards can do what they did at Oxford last week, and then start the first game regardless because of who they are. I would hope, presumably Ainsworth hopes, that leaving them out even if it means picking League Two players and getting beaten 4-0 instead may finally be the thing that makes them pull their fingers out. They should be embarrassed that they cannot even get in that QPR team. I won't hold my breath though.

I do agree about richards and willock but at some point he’s gonna need to put an arm around the shoulder and give one or both a run in the team, not 10 minutes here and there starting every game for 6/7 in a row and say go on make yourself unstoppable as warnock did with adel
Few Thoughts on 13:38 - Aug 6 with 1604 viewsQPRConor2000

Ainsworth was only brought in to appease the fans.

We should of let him go in the summer, and got someone in whos more experenced at this level and is more tactically astute.

Ainsworth's comments during the post match interview about "some postives", talking about "we will be ok" sorry, but thats just gaslighting us at this point.

I think its pretty clear to me that Ainsworth is the issue, his tactical awareness is shocking and some of the decisions he made yesterday were laughable, why sub Willock on in the 94th Min?

Ainsworth has lost a lot of fans now, I think hes done.
Few Thoughts on 13:39 - Aug 6 with 1595 viewsPunteR

You play your best players.
Especially atm.
I do get what you're saying ,standards, ethics ,principles whatever, but we need points on the board soon as because as we already know this team crumbles under pressure.
Then again if the players don't want to play then get rid altogether. Maybe chucking Willock on at the end was for him to get a bit of flak from the fans. ? Dunno. ?
It's just a shit show.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Few Thoughts on 13:43 - Aug 6 with 1569 viewsHooping_Mad

Few Thoughts on 13:38 - Aug 6 by QPRConor2000

Ainsworth was only brought in to appease the fans.

We should of let him go in the summer, and got someone in whos more experenced at this level and is more tactically astute.

Ainsworth's comments during the post match interview about "some postives", talking about "we will be ok" sorry, but thats just gaslighting us at this point.

I think its pretty clear to me that Ainsworth is the issue, his tactical awareness is shocking and some of the decisions he made yesterday were laughable, why sub Willock on in the 94th Min?

Ainsworth has lost a lot of fans now, I think hes done.

Never seen a 4 goals deficit defended like that.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Few Thoughts on 13:46 - Aug 6 with 1564 viewsdutch

Quite how anybody can give Gubbins a free pass after that performance yesterday I have no idea, from the 20th second onwards he played like a 12 year old, no positional sense, mesmerised by attackers passing the ball round him. But then no-one in defence was any better, both fullbacks were way too wide, the gaps were enormous. But then neither Chair nor Smyth tracked back etc etc. The whole lot bar perhaps Field and the keeper were awful. Of course we must blame the manager he's way out of his depth, but the players have to look at themselves. How can you be that bad at your job?
Few Thoughts on 13:49 - Aug 6 with 1543 viewsNorthantsHoop

Few Thoughts on 13:30 - Aug 6 by daveB

It’s about standards though, I don’t expect them to run through brick walls at half time but it was like kids playing in the park, no one pulling them up and Saying get serious just an attitude of oh wel it doesn’t matter I probably won’t get on anyway

Completely agree it’s low down on list of problems but it’s an easily fixable one

Are there any standards, our manager I'm afraid hardly looks the part for which these so called top level footballers would aspire to and dare I say it may seem like a bit of a joke to them. I'm all for a maverick but watching a total shambles like yesterday and what he have witnessed in last few months at home is abysmal. I think it was the last game at home against Bristol witnessed in the first half a lot of interaction mostly negative between Dickie and Ainsworth may have been my perception but sort of stood out for me of the problems in the camp.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2023 13:51]
Few Thoughts on 13:52 - Aug 6 with 1521 viewsdannyblue

I know what you mean. And ethically that would be my preferred approach too. But pragmatically I don't think it's working. I don't think we're going to shame Willock and Richards into doing well, that's not their character and not their reaction. They won't be ashamed of not getting in the team, they'll just think and tell their friends it's evidence of what an idiot the manager is and how crap the club is. They they can just sit back, say 'the club's shît', roll their eyes, and take their pay check. It's just not their problem. They've checked out.

But put them on the pitch, from the start, again and again, nowhere to hide, nobody else to blame. It becomes their problem too. And they might just find they actually prefer playing football.

I mean in might not work. But it seems like a path with a better chance of getting some value out of them rather than allowing them to continue and extend their evident disengagement.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2023 13:58]
Few Thoughts on 13:56 - Aug 6 with 1504 viewsParkRoyalR

Few Thoughts on 13:46 - Aug 6 by dutch

Quite how anybody can give Gubbins a free pass after that performance yesterday I have no idea, from the 20th second onwards he played like a 12 year old, no positional sense, mesmerised by attackers passing the ball round him. But then no-one in defence was any better, both fullbacks were way too wide, the gaps were enormous. But then neither Chair nor Smyth tracked back etc etc. The whole lot bar perhaps Field and the keeper were awful. Of course we must blame the manager he's way out of his depth, but the players have to look at themselves. How can you be that bad at your job?

Your point on Gubbins surely brings us back to our Academy and the quality of scouting and coaching?

I hate criticising Ossie Kakay as undoubtedly a top lad, who I would like to see get a run, given our dearth of options, as a Right Midfielder in a 4-4-2, as has an engine, desire, a solid tackle and can get enough space against his man to put in a very decent first time cross, but....

What the hell is it with his body-shape and positional play where you frequently see him run a 20 yard loop turning his back on play in an effort to get back into the correct position?

Like Gubbins, surely body-shape and positional play is basic coaching and this comes back to our Academy, which Warburton (and Beale) were so dismissive of?
Few Thoughts on 13:56 - Aug 6 with 1506 viewsNorthernr

Few Thoughts on 13:37 - Aug 6 by daveB

I do agree about richards and willock but at some point he’s gonna need to put an arm around the shoulder and give one or both a run in the team, not 10 minutes here and there starting every game for 6/7 in a row and say go on make yourself unstoppable as warnock did with adel

As you say in your post above this one though, it's about standards. Richards tossed it off in Austria, tossed it off last week at Oxford, you can't pick him regardless. I don't think you'll get a more 'arm round the shoulder' managerial combination than Ainsworth and Dobson, and neither Richards nor Willock are responding.
Few Thoughts on 13:58 - Aug 6 with 1495 viewsterryb

Thanks Dave, a summary that is hard to argue with.

After the results at Burnley & Stoke, I can slightly understand the strategy of conceding space until they reach our final third. Continuing to do so after being 2 or 3 nil down at the 15 minute point is another matter!

I thought that we going to make signings from League 1 or League 2 clubs, but only 1 of our 5 new players has followed that route. Hopefully players wouldn't sign for us, because the alternative is that we have deliberately entered the season with this squad!

I thought Duke-McKenna was our best player yesterday & that with Armstrong he gave us more energy. How can you be lacking energy in the first match of the season though!

Before the match I was talking about the two worst performances I've seen from a Rangers team, Peterborough away (League Cup 1969) & Southend away on a Friday night. The first half yesterday was far worse!
Few Thoughts on 14:00 - Aug 6 with 1480 viewsdannyblue

Few Thoughts on 13:56 - Aug 6 by Northernr

As you say in your post above this one though, it's about standards. Richards tossed it off in Austria, tossed it off last week at Oxford, you can't pick him regardless. I don't think you'll get a more 'arm round the shoulder' managerial combination than Ainsworth and Dobson, and neither Richards nor Willock are responding.

He tosses it off because it's not his problem. Make it his problem. Don't let him hide on the bench. Put him in front of the cameras and tens of thousands of people for two months. It might be the making of the man.
Few Thoughts on 14:06 - Aug 6 with 1448 viewsdaveB

They won’t respond as for positivity they talk neither of them start games and in willocks never 2 in a row, players will just switch off if they are not gonna play

I completely agree with you about them not playing yesterday no issue with that but if both are staying we have to at some point get them in the team which might get them engaged a bit and give them a run in the side

If willock wants out he needs to play well in the next 3 weeks to bring about some interest
Few Thoughts on 14:10 - Aug 6 with 1430 viewspaulparker

If you need to see how badly this club is run then look no further into the permanent signing of this waste of space how anyone can still make excuses for him and his “troubles” is beyond me

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024