Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dykes 21:39 - Nov 4 with 43154 viewsstainrods_elbow

Really hope we can move him on in Jan and bring in one or two players who can really help the reshaped project, starting with breaking with years of tradition and actually investing in a striker who scores goals. He's going nowhere at QPR and just doesn't, and never will, cut the mustard. I'm afraid. He's a ram that doesn't batter, his buckle doesn't swash, and his goalscoring instincts are not so much predatory as borderline nugatory. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Millwall, say, came back in for him, he'd miraculously metamorphose into a 1 in 3 merchant who plays every week, but hopefully we'd by then be past caring. I don't want a player leading our line who scores the odd header from an occasional Chair cross but who seems mainly to care about playing for Scotland.

All being well, MC will have sussed this out in double-quick time and will be reshaping our attacking line with Smyth, Willock and Chair, and a new pivot.
[Post edited 4 Nov 2023 21:43]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Dykes on 20:59 - Dec 26 with 1652 viewsParkRoyalR

Dykes on 20:50 - Dec 26 by calHoop

And he was to blame for the first goal. Abysmal control to give the ball straight back to millwall, for them to break on us. Getting worse by the game.

Nothing to do with 1) Field being weak and the wrong side of his man in the middle of the park, 2) Kakay cluelessly running out of position, 3) Field letting the ball run across him and 4) JCS switching off at the back post? No, course not, it was losing possession in their half.
Dykes on 21:03 - Dec 26 with 1635 viewsHooping_Mad

Smyth played on the left for Orient last season and many would like to see Chair play in the middle, we could try willy on the right but we haven't tried once all season. This kind of blue sky thinking is why we are, where we are.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Dykes on 22:23 - Dec 26 with 1484 viewsLoyalitat

Dykes on 21:03 - Dec 26 by Hooping_Mad

Smyth played on the left for Orient last season and many would like to see Chair play in the middle, we could try willy on the right but we haven't tried once all season. This kind of blue sky thinking is why we are, where we are.

Smyth, too easily knocked off the ball today, at least on three occasions by Millwall.

He has struggled of late on the right hand side, in my opinion. I don't see him having an impact on the left at this level. Yes, he did well for Orient last season, but there are levels and he appears to have plateaued of late. If he doesn't beat a defender with his pace, he doesn't appear to have the requisite range of skills for this level.
[Post edited 26 Dec 2023 22:35]
Dykes on 22:27 - Dec 26 with 1477 viewsMidlands_Ranger

Dykes on 16:47 - Dec 26 by QPunkR

For all those harping on about the lack of service to Dykes (and of course there is a solid point there) just look at the prick in the second half - given the ball and a free run to the edge of the area, he decides not to shoot. From the edge of the fkn box. Fk me sideways

Zero shots again today from the striker.......
Dykes on 22:47 - Dec 26 with 1385 viewsHunterhoop

You have got to play Armstrong now and hope he goes on a Agyemang patch of form. He’s still incredibly raw but he cannot be less impactful than Dykes. The bloke is playing like he has no idea it’s his job to score goals.
Dykes on 22:51 - Dec 26 with 1371 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Dykes on 22:47 - Dec 26 by Hunterhoop

You have got to play Armstrong now and hope he goes on a Agyemang patch of form. He’s still incredibly raw but he cannot be less impactful than Dykes. The bloke is playing like he has no idea it’s his job to score goals.

He'll get goodwill too.

There are few players i've wanted to do well as much as I want Armstrong to do well.

My only concern, is that he's on his 5th(?) manager who doesn't reckon him. Is there something we're not seeing?
Dykes on 23:07 - Dec 26 with 1339 viewsParkRoyalR

We were set up with Chair on the left touchline & Smyth on the opposite touchline with a static midfield 30 yards behind Dykes, we have all seen this too many times and even Erling Haaland might struggle in this team,

Saying this, and despite our best efforts to concede a goal playing out from the back, we still had arguably the best chance in the game (Cannon's shot from maybe 8 yards deflected somehow) and more half chances than Millwall (Chair x 2, Adomah's),

Despite a shambolic 1st goal, we were on top in the 2nd Half when EDB came on, just removing Larkeche ruined our momentum and best chance of getting back on level terms.

Armstrong in a 2 is a Plan D for me, never ever as a lone striker (Smyth in a 2 would be a Plan C), but Plan A has to be Chair in the middle with ideally Willock and Larkeche (or Smyth) inside right and inside left. Chair has to have a freer role.
Dykes on 23:09 - Dec 26 with 1330 viewsMidlands_Ranger

Dykes on 22:51 - Dec 26 by BazzaInTheLoft

He'll get goodwill too.

There are few players i've wanted to do well as much as I want Armstrong to do well.

My only concern, is that he's on his 5th(?) manager who doesn't reckon him. Is there something we're not seeing?

Agree I do want him to succeed, I do worry his time will not come, but right now like you say he will get goodwill and he really can be no worse.

Even if just for his extra effort/energy it's more than what we are currently getting
Login to get fewer ads

Dykes on 23:13 - Dec 26 with 1317 viewsParkRoyalR

He'll get goodwill too.

Is there something we're not seeing?

Well we see alot less of him than these 5 Managers have and I can tell you he has poor ball control, can't hold the ball up, has limited ball skills to beat a man (other than pushing the ball past him and trying to out-run him like U12's football) has poor positional awareness and is almost always off-side.

Like you I want to see the lad do well, but the answers to our problems lie elsewhere imo, getting more out of EDB and Larkeche, getting Chair in a roving free role and maybe moving to a 4-2-3-1 rather than a 4-3-3.
Dykes on 23:40 - Dec 26 with 1277 viewsQPunkR

Dykes on 23:13 - Dec 26 by ParkRoyalR

Well we see alot less of him than these 5 Managers have and I can tell you he has poor ball control, can't hold the ball up, has limited ball skills to beat a man (other than pushing the ball past him and trying to out-run him like U12's football) has poor positional awareness and is almost always off-side.

Like you I want to see the lad do well, but the answers to our problems lie elsewhere imo, getting more out of EDB and Larkeche, getting Chair in a roving free role and maybe moving to a 4-2-3-1 rather than a 4-3-3.

Have to agree with this

QPR - "shit but local"

Dykes on 23:43 - Dec 26 with 1269 viewsMidlands_Ranger

Dykes on 23:40 - Dec 26 by QPunkR

Have to agree with this

Yea sadly those things are all there to see as much as he's likeable and there is a want to see him do well....I guess just don't wanna see Dykes anymore
Dykes on 10:18 - Dec 27 with 1056 viewsSK_hoops

And he has only scored one goal.
Dykes on 11:18 - Dec 27 with 985 viewsTheChef

Well yeah - but apart from that?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Dykes on 11:18 - Dec 27 with 984 viewsgazza1

We have nobody else basically, that is why Dykes gets a game.....watch if we do sign a forward in January.

Proper, proper, amazing that you still think he is a good player!!!!!
Dykes on 11:40 - Dec 27 with 972 viewslassel

I mean I would love Armstrong to come good as much as anyone, but you can’t put the poor guy out there, especially as a lone striker. The sight of him at Wednesday being completely pocketed by Diaby (in between scoring for us) and Bernard who is the same age as him was just sad. These guys are not Maldini and Baresi yet they never broke sweat.

And whilst acknowledging that Taylor Harwood-Bellis came though at City and is clearly a ‘betweener’ who is too good for this level, they’re the same age and THB spent the first 10 minutes looking shocked at how this fan had managed to get on the pitch…

Armstrong had 1 great game at Cardiff where we caught them completely cold by trying to actually win a game - ever since Saints away, every team we have played has completely nullified Armstrong by having 1x centre back sit tight on him, and the other sit a couple of yards back to pick it up when he misses the header/miscontrols it/falls over/gets outmuscled (delete as appropriate).
Dykes on 11:42 - Dec 27 with 964 viewsParkRoyalR

Dykes on 11:18 - Dec 27 by gazza1

We have nobody else basically, that is why Dykes gets a game.....watch if we do sign a forward in January.

Proper, proper, amazing that you still think he is a good player!!!!!

Football being a team game, it is key to create a team that is greater than its individual parts, which is why Warburton bought Dykes to amongst other things, create space for his 10's to play.

Presuming this is what the very experienced and successful Championship (Neil Warnock) and International (Steve Clarke) Managers also see in Dykes.

Ask yourself, why does Steve Clarke play Dykes ahead of Che Adams or Oli McBurnie, who are better individual players, the answer is Dykes brings more to the team than they do.

We need to create a team with our 11 best players on the pitch for as long as possible in our must win games. Our Manager could be doing better in this scenario in my opinion.

Dykes worked decent half chances for Adomah & Dozzell yesterday where a more confident and selfish goal-scorer does'nt even think to play someone else in. Likewise, did'nt take an early shot before being fouled on edge of box.

Dykes can be frustrating, is on a poor goal-less run (should be scoring 1:4) but he is far from the reason we are where we are, and with Willock, Chair, EDB and Larkeche represents our best chance of staying in this division, as he helped us do last year.

Probably easier to say he's sxxt tho.
Dykes on 11:54 - Dec 27 with 916 viewsNed_Kennedys

He'll get goodwill too.

Armstrong cannot play as a lone striker though.
Try him as part of a two or on the wings.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2023 11:54]
Dykes on 11:58 - Dec 27 with 906 viewsgazza1

Dykes on 11:42 - Dec 27 by ParkRoyalR

Football being a team game, it is key to create a team that is greater than its individual parts, which is why Warburton bought Dykes to amongst other things, create space for his 10's to play.

Presuming this is what the very experienced and successful Championship (Neil Warnock) and International (Steve Clarke) Managers also see in Dykes.

Ask yourself, why does Steve Clarke play Dykes ahead of Che Adams or Oli McBurnie, who are better individual players, the answer is Dykes brings more to the team than they do.

We need to create a team with our 11 best players on the pitch for as long as possible in our must win games. Our Manager could be doing better in this scenario in my opinion.

Dykes worked decent half chances for Adomah & Dozzell yesterday where a more confident and selfish goal-scorer does'nt even think to play someone else in. Likewise, did'nt take an early shot before being fouled on edge of box.

Dykes can be frustrating, is on a poor goal-less run (should be scoring 1:4) but he is far from the reason we are where we are, and with Willock, Chair, EDB and Larkeche represents our best chance of staying in this division, as he helped us do last year.

Probably easier to say he's sxxt tho.

He bought Dykes to score goals......he has not.

Next thing you will be saying is that he was a good signing!!!! Cant understand why you are defending him.

BTW, I have never said he is shxt.....he is just not good enough, poor.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2023 12:00]
Dykes on 12:02 - Dec 27 with 873 viewsgazza1

Dykes on 11:40 - Dec 27 by lassel

I mean I would love Armstrong to come good as much as anyone, but you can’t put the poor guy out there, especially as a lone striker. The sight of him at Wednesday being completely pocketed by Diaby (in between scoring for us) and Bernard who is the same age as him was just sad. These guys are not Maldini and Baresi yet they never broke sweat.

And whilst acknowledging that Taylor Harwood-Bellis came though at City and is clearly a ‘betweener’ who is too good for this level, they’re the same age and THB spent the first 10 minutes looking shocked at how this fan had managed to get on the pitch…

Armstrong had 1 great game at Cardiff where we caught them completely cold by trying to actually win a game - ever since Saints away, every team we have played has completely nullified Armstrong by having 1x centre back sit tight on him, and the other sit a couple of yards back to pick it up when he misses the header/miscontrols it/falls over/gets outmuscled (delete as appropriate).

Hunter is right.......I have seen enough of Dykes - he is poor, so is armstrong but he puts himself about and runs a lot faster.
Dykes on 12:39 - Dec 27 with 837 viewsderbyhoop

Dykes on 18:42 - Dec 26 by Northernr

We played the ball up to Dykes 4 times in the first 15 minutes, he gave it away every time.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it’s a fcking duck.

Correct. But is there a better alternative? Kelman holds the ball better but is even further from Championship quality in the rest of his game. Armstrong is like a bull at a gate.

Dykes isnt helped when you have Chair and Smyth with whitewash on their boots and Dykes 40m away with 2 CBs all over him.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Dykes on 12:53 - Dec 27 with 809 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Dykes on 12:39 - Dec 27 by derbyhoop

Correct. But is there a better alternative? Kelman holds the ball better but is even further from Championship quality in the rest of his game. Armstrong is like a bull at a gate.

Dykes isnt helped when you have Chair and Smyth with whitewash on their boots and Dykes 40m away with 2 CBs all over him.

Agree, look how isolated Dykes is. Dozzell was meant to be playing further forward yesterday and supporting him. It didn't happen.
If anyone thinks getting a striker in on loan is going to fix this squad then forget it. A big fat zero chances created.

Midfield is the area that desperately needs strengthening to actually pass forward, run with the ball forward, and run forward beyond the striker. Bit of a pattern there.

We could have Haaland in this team and I doubt he would score 20 in an entire season.
Dykes on 13:27 - Dec 27 with 773 viewsParkRoyalR

Dykes on 11:58 - Dec 27 by gazza1

Next thing you will be saying is that he was a good signing!!!! Cant understand why you are defending him.

In my opinion, Warburton bought Dykes to be a key part of a system based on 10's and Wing Back'.s

In your opinion, Warburton bought Dykes to score goals in the Championship, on the basis he had played just 3 years of professional football outside of Austrialia where he had amassed 27 goals in 142 games (almost 1 in 6) mainly in Scottish League 1,

Now either you've got this wrong or Warburton was a complete idiot, in the same way as Steve Clarke is for picking Dykes ahead of Adams, Shankland and McBurnie.

Dykes plays a key role in a decent Scotland team and Armstrong cannot even get in the Senior Squad for a very poor Ireland team, and you want to pick Sinclair Armstrong ahead of Dykes?

Until Dozzell is taken out of our Starting XI and Chair is freed up from the left touchline, we have options better than committing such an act of self-harm as starting Sinclair Armstrong as a lone striker without Dykes.
Dykes on 13:34 - Dec 27 with 747 viewsQPunkR

Dykes on 11:58 - Dec 27 by gazza1

I'll say it then. Dykes is sht

QPR - "shit but local"

Dykes on 13:36 - Dec 27 with 737 viewsQPunkR

Also, for context, of course Dykes isn't the only reason we're in our current deserved predicament, far from it - but the fact he finds it impossible to score goals is unavoidably one of the reasons.

QPR - "shit but local"

Dykes on 14:19 - Dec 27 with 687 viewsgazza1

Dykes on 13:27 - Dec 27 by ParkRoyalR

In my opinion, Warburton bought Dykes to be a key part of a system based on 10's and Wing Back'.s

In your opinion, Warburton bought Dykes to score goals in the Championship, on the basis he had played just 3 years of professional football outside of Austrialia where he had amassed 27 goals in 142 games (almost 1 in 6) mainly in Scottish League 1,

Now either you've got this wrong or Warburton was a complete idiot, in the same way as Steve Clarke is for picking Dykes ahead of Adams, Shankland and McBurnie.

Dykes plays a key role in a decent Scotland team and Armstrong cannot even get in the Senior Squad for a very poor Ireland team, and you want to pick Sinclair Armstrong ahead of Dykes?

Until Dozzell is taken out of our Starting XI and Chair is freed up from the left touchline, we have options better than committing such an act of self-harm as starting Sinclair Armstrong as a lone striker without Dykes.

Warburton bought him in to score goals - 100%......ask Les Ferdinand. Yes he has other responsibilities but scoring goals was the prime objective. Score goals and not many care what else he does.

One other point, yes he may have only been in the game for a short period, yes he may not have scored lots or been prolific scorer but you don't look back with signings, you look forward to what you want to make the player. MW/LF wanted him to score goals.

He has had his time playing for the Jocks and will not be playing there much longer in the 1st team.......lets be fair Adams, Shankland & McBurnie whom you mention are not actually 'world beaters'.

The end!!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024