Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Leicester and Ipswich. 08:17 - Nov 8 with 5523 viewsknocker

After watching Ipswich scrape a point at rotherham last night, I have to say I'm quite amazed how well they've done and how close they are to Leicester. Because I really believe that not one Ipswich player would make the foxes starting lineup
Leicester and Ipswich. on 08:54 - Nov 8 with 4468 viewsNed_Kennedys

Can’t judge them on a single game: they’ve had an excellent start to the season and hopefully keep it going to remain ahead of Leeds. Leicester still have a Premier League squad and are a class above everyone else in the division.
Leicester and Ipswich. on 08:56 - Nov 8 with 4460 viewsNorthernr

The thing for me watching Ipswich is even when they don't play well, like last night, the number of chances to score they create, the number of people they get in the box, the problems they pose opposition defences. Scored twice last night, should have had at least one penalty, several other chances besides, only a minute away from winning the game, and that's them when they're sht. When we don't play well we're lucky to cross the halfway line.
Leicester and Ipswich. on 09:02 - Nov 8 with 4430 viewsWestbourneR

Leicester and Ipswich. on 08:56 - Nov 8 by Northernr

The thing for me watching Ipswich is even when they don't play well, like last night, the number of chances to score they create, the number of people they get in the box, the problems they pose opposition defences. Scored twice last night, should have had at least one penalty, several other chances besides, only a minute away from winning the game, and that's them when they're sht. When we don't play well we're lucky to cross the halfway line.

I agree. And I feel the issue goes back as far as Warburton.

I really rated Warbs as a manager and would never have sacked him but we were actually extremely unambitious in the attacking areas even when we purring as a team and utterly dominating possession.

You'd basically have to wait for the 65th minute for Lee Wallace to overlap Chair and suddenly we'd make a chance.

We very rarely won by more than 1 goal. And Reading was the only time I truly saw us stuff someone. It was always very very tight.

We need to know how to let the handbrake off in the final third - especially at home. We need far more overlaps and far more bodies in the box. Has to happen.

1 win is worth 3 draws. If we're going to get out of this mess we need to go for it properly at Loftus Road
[Post edited 8 Nov 2023 9:20]

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Leicester and Ipswich. on 09:06 - Nov 8 with 4416 viewsNorthernr

Leicester and Ipswich. on 09:02 - Nov 8 by WestbourneR

I agree. And I feel the issue goes back as far as Warburton.

I really rated Warbs as a manager and would never have sacked him but we were actually extremely unambitious in the attacking areas even when we purring as a team and utterly dominating possession.

You'd basically have to wait for the 65th minute for Lee Wallace to overlap Chair and suddenly we'd make a chance.

We very rarely won by more than 1 goal. And Reading was the only time I truly saw us stuff someone. It was always very very tight.

We need to know how to let the handbrake off in the final third - especially at home. We need far more overlaps and far more bodies in the box. Has to happen.

1 win is worth 3 draws. If we're going to get out of this mess we need to go for it properly at Loftus Road
[Post edited 8 Nov 2023 9:20]

It's so weird isn't it because when Warburton first arrived we used to pour forward, and concede far too many goals. The longer he was here the more cautious he, and we, got. I guess he'd tell you he had Hugill, Wells, Eze and BOS in his first season and none of them in his third.
Leicester and Ipswich. on 09:19 - Nov 8 with 4361 viewsBlue_Castello

Leicester and Ipswich. on 09:06 - Nov 8 by Northernr

It's so weird isn't it because when Warburton first arrived we used to pour forward, and concede far too many goals. The longer he was here the more cautious he, and we, got. I guess he'd tell you he had Hugill, Wells, Eze and BOS in his first season and none of them in his third.

Exactly add to that Chair and Manning, we had a team capable of making the play-offs, we played some great football at times but were inconsistent, it was a failure not getting in the top 6, guess that's down to an average defence that season.

Ipswichs answer to their form is McKenna, a very good coach, he is getting the very best from players who possibly would not excel in other teams, they work very hard as a unit, make space for each other and do all the things that Marti wants to instill into our team, the three Ps.
Leicester and Ipswich. on 09:22 - Nov 8 with 4338 viewsNorthernr

Leicester and Ipswich. on 09:19 - Nov 8 by Blue_Castello

Exactly add to that Chair and Manning, we had a team capable of making the play-offs, we played some great football at times but were inconsistent, it was a failure not getting in the top 6, guess that's down to an average defence that season.

Ipswichs answer to their form is McKenna, a very good coach, he is getting the very best from players who possibly would not excel in other teams, they work very hard as a unit, make space for each other and do all the things that Marti wants to instill into our team, the three Ps.

Yeh we should have finished higher that season, not sure you're getting to the play-offs with Kane, Hall, Barbet and Wallace/Manning as your defence and Lumley as your goalkeeper though.
Leicester and Ipswich. on 09:30 - Nov 8 with 4316 viewsBlue_Castello

Leicester and Ipswich. on 09:22 - Nov 8 by Northernr

Yeh we should have finished higher that season, not sure you're getting to the play-offs with Kane, Hall, Barbet and Wallace/Manning as your defence and Lumley as your goalkeeper though.

Yeah I couldn't remember who we had as the back four but that's it in a nutshell, Barbet was brilliant in a back three and a very good player for the club but time and again we saw he was vulnerable in a back four, Manning superb coming forward, great passer of the ball with assists and there was always the John Terry moment at Villa if I remember correctly, but he's still very average defensively.
That leaves Kane who was a mega star in his own lunchtime and should have been sold for £13 million and Hall who I liked a lot but was so fragile and you just couldn't rely on him.

That made me think where is Joe Lumley now, I googled him to find he's got a 1 year contract for Southampton and that appears to make him third choice, that's a signing done with Parachute payments.....
[Post edited 8 Nov 2023 9:41]
Leicester and Ipswich. on 09:51 - Nov 8 with 4220 viewsCateLeBonR

Leicester and Ipswich. on 08:56 - Nov 8 by Northernr

It wasn’t that long ago that they were equally as sh1t if not worse than us though.

I’ve not seen them play live yet but have been watching their highlights all season. At first I thought they looked a bit like us last year with lots of goals from outside the area and thought it unlikely they’d be able to keep it going. There’s still a bit of that but they seem to be able to scrap when they need to and their two goals last night emphasise this. I still think they might fall away at some point and wouldn’t be surprised if they finish outside the playoffs.
Login to get fewer ads

Leicester and Ipswich. on 09:58 - Nov 8 with 4175 viewsNorthernr

Leicester and Ipswich. on 09:51 - Nov 8 by CateLeBonR

It wasn’t that long ago that they were equally as sh1t if not worse than us though.

I’ve not seen them play live yet but have been watching their highlights all season. At first I thought they looked a bit like us last year with lots of goals from outside the area and thought it unlikely they’d be able to keep it going. There’s still a bit of that but they seem to be able to scrap when they need to and their two goals last night emphasise this. I still think they might fall away at some point and wouldn’t be surprised if they finish outside the playoffs.

I wouldn't be surprised if they got caught by Leeds for second, but I'd be shocked if they weren't in the six. I had them fifth in our season preview I think.
Leicester and Ipswich. on 10:05 - Nov 8 with 4144 viewsTheChef

God I remember when things went downhill from Feb 2022 onwards - watching that Blackburn away game on the telly. Everything backwards and sideways, none of our midfielders getting on the half turn. Jeff Hendrick. And then Dieng got taken out as well. Not a good day.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Leicester and Ipswich. on 10:08 - Nov 8 with 4122 viewsNorthernr

Leicester and Ipswich. on 10:05 - Nov 8 by TheChef

God I remember when things went downhill from Feb 2022 onwards - watching that Blackburn away game on the telly. Everything backwards and sideways, none of our midfielders getting on the half turn. Jeff Hendrick. And then Dieng got taken out as well. Not a good day.

Yeh Hendrick was a dreadful signing, which they only did because Amit's mate Jamie Reuben got in touch on the deadline and said we could have him for free. head of recruitment had long since gone home. And Warburton absolutely loved him, picked him all the time, bombed out Dom Ball. Disaster.
Leicester and Ipswich. on 10:09 - Nov 8 with 4116 viewsterryb

Last night was the first time this season (unless it was the same at Birmingham) that Luongo hasn't controlled the game. Was this due to him having a poor game, or should Rotherham be given credit for not allowing him to?

Even so, they would probably have still won if Davies had played at 10% of his norm! They score an incredible number of goals, which I find amzing with Hirst playing at centre forward!
Leicester and Ipswich. on 10:18 - Nov 8 with 4079 viewsCamberleyR

Even in his last season though until the wheels fell off and the engine blew up after the Reading home game we still managed five games where we won by at least two goals;

Hull (A) and Cov, Brum, Luton and Reading (H).

That compares to eight games in 19/20 and seven in 21/22 when we won by at least two goals.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Leicester and Ipswich. on 10:40 - Nov 8 with 4000 viewsCateLeBonR

Leicester and Ipswich. on 09:58 - Nov 8 by Northernr

I wouldn't be surprised if they got caught by Leeds for second, but I'd be shocked if they weren't in the six. I had them fifth in our season preview I think.

They’ve certainly given themselves a very good chance of the playoffs that’s for certain. I just think they look like a team that might run out of gas at some point. I’m often wrong about this sort of thing I should add.
Leicester and Ipswich. on 10:47 - Nov 8 with 3971 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Leicester and Ipswich. on 10:08 - Nov 8 by Northernr

Yeh Hendrick was a dreadful signing, which they only did because Amit's mate Jamie Reuben got in touch on the deadline and said we could have him for free. head of recruitment had long since gone home. And Warburton absolutely loved him, picked him all the time, bombed out Dom Ball. Disaster.

Hendrick and Manning in the same thread, ypu say?

Hold me back! Hold me back!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Leicester and Ipswich. on 11:07 - Nov 8 with 3891 viewsstowmarketrange

Leicester and Ipswich. on 09:51 - Nov 8 by CateLeBonR

The confidence that winning games brings to a newly promoted team can ensure that they make a good start to the next season too.So losing games constantly drains confidence too.
I think we all know what category we come into.
Leicester and Ipswich. on 13:04 - Nov 8 with 3541 viewsconnell10

I'm not impressed.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Leicester and Ipswich. on 13:33 - Nov 8 with 3439 viewsSK_hoops

Leicester and Ipswich. on 13:04 - Nov 8 by connell10

I'm not impressed.

Alright, Shania Twain.
Leicester and Ipswich. on 13:39 - Nov 8 with 3424 viewsJuzzie

If anyone watched Scunthorpe v QPR in April 2011 and no other game that season featuring QPR, they would wonder how on earth we won the title.

Every time any team does well against an opponent deemed better than them, the comment is always "Well, they weren't all that, dunno how they're up there".
Of course a team at the top is not going to come across well if they've just drawn or lost against a much lower placed team but they clearly aren't going to be a bad team if they're second and 8 points clear of third at that.
Leicester and Ipswich. on 15:05 - Nov 8 with 3236 viewsconnell10

Leicester and Ipswich. on 13:39 - Nov 8 by Juzzie

If anyone watched Scunthorpe v QPR in April 2011 and no other game that season featuring QPR, they would wonder how on earth we won the title.

Every time any team does well against an opponent deemed better than them, the comment is always "Well, they weren't all that, dunno how they're up there".
Of course a team at the top is not going to come across well if they've just drawn or lost against a much lower placed team but they clearly aren't going to be a bad team if they're second and 8 points clear of third at that.

We shall see how good they are if they come up to the premier , lots of teams look good in the Championship basically because most championship teams are shit to average.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Leicester and Ipswich. on 15:06 - Nov 8 with 3231 viewsLazyFan

Leicester and Ipswich. on 10:08 - Nov 8 by Northernr

Hendrick was useless when I first saw him play and now I believe he plays his trade at Sheff Wed. Probably on loan for free as well.

The only time he did anything was scoring 2 goals for Reading against us, and that still did not save them.

L1 beckons for him if not retirement when his golden deal runs out.

zzzzzzzzzz

Leicester and Ipswich. on 15:30 - Nov 8 with 3152 viewsswitchingcode

Leicester and Ipswich. on 15:05 - Nov 8 by connell10

We shall see how good they are if they come up to the premier , lots of teams look good in the Championship basically because most championship teams are shit to average.

I watched the game last night and thought it was typical of the championship competitive and not a big difference between the top and bottom clubs (that can change very quickly) unlike the PL.
Leicester and Ipswich. on 18:59 - Nov 8 with 2895 viewsSK_hoops

Leicester and Ipswich. on 13:39 - Nov 8 by Juzzie

I'm fairly certain that game was the only game my mum went to all season.
Leicester and Ipswich. on 19:05 - Nov 8 with 2878 viewsdaveB

Leicester and Ipswich. on 09:22 - Nov 8 by Northernr

The covid break did us really, we were flying before that and quite fancied us to make the top 6 but by the time we came back we were crap
Leicester and Ipswich. on 19:15 - Nov 8 with 2844 viewsterryb

Leicester and Ipswich. on 19:05 - Nov 8 by daveB

The covid break did us really, we were flying before that and quite fancied us to make the top 6 but by the time we came back we were crap

I still feel that was partly due to Warburton moaning about the restart date & every club being far better prepared than we were.

Barnsley were miles ahead of us in fitness & wanting to play.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024