Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Under estimated QPR Players 07:16 - Nov 9 with 11335 viewsnumptydumpty

One that springs to mind for me

Big Matt Smith

Scored pretty regularly when coming on as sub with his head.

In fact wouldn't he have been the man upon top for an Ainsworth team.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2023 7:16]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Under estimated QPR Players on 19:13 - Nov 9 with 1889 viewsPunteR

Matt Connelly.
I mean Kaspers Gorks and Matt Connelly our CB pairing in a championship winning side and very rarely gets mentioned. Yeh sure they had decent midfielders in front shielding them with Derry and Faurlin but they were decent . I mean you dont win the championship with crap CBs do you.?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Under estimated QPR Players on 19:35 - Nov 9 with 1834 viewsLowerloftLad

I called Danny simpson Mr dependable always thought he played well and couldn't believe when redknapp let him go.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2023 22:22]

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Under estimated QPR Players on 19:37 - Nov 9 with 1820 viewsDorse

Not forgotten

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Under estimated QPR Players on 22:37 - Nov 9 with 1632 viewsstevec

What the hell, I’m going for it… Karl Henry.
Under estimated QPR Players on 22:53 - Nov 9 with 1615 viewsTW_R

Under estimated QPR Players on 08:17 - Nov 9 by GaryBannister86

Couldn't disagree more, Mr Honneywood.

Talentless footballer lucky to be surrounded by 10 quality players. When he played, everyone sighed before kick off, and our chances of winning went down by around 99.9%.

Useless.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2023 8:18]

This is obviously a complete nonsense. I suspect he played over 20 games in one of our most successful seasons ever.
Under estimated QPR Players on 22:57 - Nov 9 with 1611 viewsTW_R

Under estimated QPR Players on 08:31 - Nov 9 by dmm

Andy Impey, now an assistant Development Squad coach. He was understandably often in the shadow of Trevor Sinclair, who played on the opposite side, but was a great winger for us. I loved seeing him and Sinclair destroy opposition full backs then switch wings and both do the same on the other side.

I loved Impey but he certainly wasn’t under estimated. He won player of the year 3 seasons in a row, 2 of which had Sinclair in the team.
Under estimated QPR Players on 23:15 - Nov 9 with 1599 viewsOakR

Under estimated QPR Players on 14:28 - Nov 9 by dannyblue

Damion Stewart
Kaspar Gorkks
Wayne Routledge
Adel. Didn't even get player of the year.

Adel not getting player of the year will forever be on of the strangest things - absolutely bizarre.

I'd agree with Marcus Bignot and Luongo mentioned on the thread already.

I'm going to go for Daniel Parejo - I thought he was great but held back by some of the players around him.

Poll: Will we stay up?

Under estimated QPR Players on 23:35 - Nov 9 with 1591 viewsCiderwithRsie

Under estimated QPR Players on 14:27 - Nov 9 by GaryBannister86

In my view, a common misconception that arose long after the time. Maybe to try and big up his (dubious) managerial skills and profile. I certainly don't remember many R's fans at the time thinking that Holloway was of any use.

When Barker - good player, but hardly a world beater - was alongside Super Ray instead of Holloway we were a million times better. And so was Wilkins. "Was Wilkins' legs" - I'm sorry, I must have missed it at the time.

But - I am probably wrong. Usually am.

I think your memory's a bit selective.

Leaving aside whether or not you think he was any good, the view at the time initially was that he was out of his depth but by about halfway through his first season he was winning people over through sheer effort and by his second season it's quite untrue that people were "sighing" when he was announced.

Personally I always thought Barker was better but a lot of fans were pretty down on him too.

Fact is that one or both of them played alongside Wilkins for years when we were a very decent top-flight side and most of us could see that they must be doing something right.

Not sure about under-rated though, I think Holloway was rated about right - limited but reliable.

Barker was a bit under-rated, I think. I've a theory that Holloway benefitted from playing beside Wilkins (who could do the fancy stuff) but Barker was maybe held back, because he had to be the "piano mover" whereas as Blackburn he'd been the main man.

(Just looked up his record there and surprised to be reminded that he was actually our record signing and Blackburn's record sale, at the time. £400k!)
Login to get fewer ads

Under estimated QPR Players on 04:47 - Nov 10 with 1513 viewsWesty75

Rowan Vine - maligned by some, perhaps as much on personality - didn’t know him so can’t say - but remember him having incredible close control, sometimes like the ball was tied to his foot, and a decent goals record. For a season at least he and Adjemang formed a pretty handy front two partnership.
Under estimated QPR Players on 05:59 - Nov 10 with 1488 viewsSydneyRs

Under estimated QPR Players on 19:35 - Nov 9 by LowerloftLad

I called Danny simpson Mr dependable always thought he played well and couldn't believe when redknapp let him go.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2023 22:22]

Who does he think he is, going off and winning the premier league. Smartarse.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2023 10:32]
Under estimated QPR Players on 07:41 - Nov 10 with 1429 viewsGaryBannister86

Under estimated QPR Players on 23:35 - Nov 9 by CiderwithRsie

I think your memory's a bit selective.

Leaving aside whether or not you think he was any good, the view at the time initially was that he was out of his depth but by about halfway through his first season he was winning people over through sheer effort and by his second season it's quite untrue that people were "sighing" when he was announced.

Personally I always thought Barker was better but a lot of fans were pretty down on him too.

Fact is that one or both of them played alongside Wilkins for years when we were a very decent top-flight side and most of us could see that they must be doing something right.

Not sure about under-rated though, I think Holloway was rated about right - limited but reliable.

Barker was a bit under-rated, I think. I've a theory that Holloway benefitted from playing beside Wilkins (who could do the fancy stuff) but Barker was maybe held back, because he had to be the "piano mover" whereas as Blackburn he'd been the main man.

(Just looked up his record there and surprised to be reminded that he was actually our record signing and Blackburn's record sale, at the time. £400k!)

I have no doubt my memory is selective :-)

It probably comes down to opinions, too. I never rated Holloway from his first game to his last, and genuinely believe I wasn't the only one. I disagree that the groaning stopped in his second season. It got worse!

I always thought if we had a decent driving midfielder alongside Super Ray - we could have won something. Barker was loads better than Holloway, I thought, but hardly that good himself.

I think that rather than being under-rated, Holloway's spell with us as a player has been exaggerated because people liked his management further down the line.
Under estimated QPR Players on 08:34 - Nov 10 with 1377 viewsconnell10

Kasper Gorkss, solid as f uck and always seemed to spill blood for the team with a head wound, great player!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Under estimated QPR Players on 08:49 - Nov 10 with 1352 viewsswitchingcode

Terry Mancini was not rated by many but went on to join Arsenal
Under estimated QPR Players on 09:22 - Nov 10 with 1310 viewsLadbrokeR

Some of these posts are tongue in cheek. Matt Smith and Matthew Rose effective on their day but not underestimated. I would add Danny Simpson to the list.
Under estimated QPR Players on 09:25 - Nov 10 with 1307 viewsLadbrokeR

Under estimated QPR Players on 09:22 - Nov 10 by LadbrokeR

Some of these posts are tongue in cheek. Matt Smith and Matthew Rose effective on their day but not underestimated. I would add Danny Simpson to the list.

As lower loft lad has already mentioned
Under estimated QPR Players on 09:37 - Nov 10 with 1292 viewspaulhoop2

Regarding Matthew rose he did give long service in fact qualified for a testimonial yes was injured a lot but he was excellent at the reading the game.

Thought of another one Simon Royce ? Was very steady and made a world class save I think against burley one year which hot the whole ground including aways applauding.

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

Under estimated QPR Players on 09:43 - Nov 10 with 1276 viewsEsox_Lucius

Would Gary Penrice qualify? A fixture in the team but rarely mentioned as time passes unlike Gary Bannister.

The grass is always greener.

Under estimated QPR Players on 09:52 - Nov 10 with 1252 viewsQPunkR

Under estimated QPR Players on 23:15 - Nov 9 by OakR

Adel not getting player of the year will forever be on of the strangest things - absolutely bizarre.

I'd agree with Marcus Bignot and Luongo mentioned on the thread already.

I'm going to go for Daniel Parejo - I thought he was great but held back by some of the players around him.

Couldn't disagree more about Parejo. He was awful for us and I think it was more about being completely unsuited to the league. Obviously he's not a crap player, captaining Valencia and Villarreal for years as well as picking up a couple of caps for Spain, but my judgement of him has always been coloured by those memories of him coming deep to receive the ball and then immediately having it tackled off him!

QPR - "shit but local"

Under estimated QPR Players on 09:55 - Nov 10 with 1248 viewsGaryBannister86

Under estimated QPR Players on 09:43 - Nov 10 by Esox_Lucius

Would Gary Penrice qualify? A fixture in the team but rarely mentioned as time passes unlike Gary Bannister.

Good player. Penrice, good finisher. Liked to stick his laces through it if I recall.

But no problem with Bannister being mentioned regularly - a hat-trick against Chelsea makes him worthy of the oft-banded "legend" status, I say.

Is he a forever R? Can't remember.
Under estimated QPR Players on 10:10 - Nov 10 with 1212 viewsPBLOCK

Under estimated QPR Players on 09:52 - Nov 10 by QPunkR

Couldn't disagree more about Parejo. He was awful for us and I think it was more about being completely unsuited to the league. Obviously he's not a crap player, captaining Valencia and Villarreal for years as well as picking up a couple of caps for Spain, but my judgement of him has always been coloured by those memories of him coming deep to receive the ball and then immediately having it tackled off him!

All about opinions but I thought Parejo was so far ahead of some the players we had at the time even at 18/19 whatever he was at the time

He’d play a great ball but the other players weren’t on his wavelength

Could clearly see he was a good player and the career he’s had suggests that
Under estimated QPR Players on 10:14 - Nov 10 with 1198 viewsRamseyR

Damien Delaney - went on to have a good career after us
Hogan Ephraim - never seemed to get a run in the team, but showed some quality
and ....as others have said Steve Palmer
Under estimated QPR Players on 11:22 - Nov 10 with 1118 viewspaulhoop2

Gino padula ?

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

Under estimated QPR Players on 12:01 - Nov 10 with 1086 viewsAberystwythR

Pawel Wzolek
Under estimated QPR Players on 12:18 - Nov 10 with 1058 viewsPlanetHonneywood

There all flooding back now...

The Korean left back Yung (I think was the chap's name). When ever I saw him play he looked decent but alas, didnt push on.

Mark Falco - decent, scored important goals. Think we decided Colin Clarke was an upgrade, and let Falco go.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Under estimated QPR Players on 15:12 - Nov 10 with 961 viewsnumptydumpty

Absolutely Clive Wilson but also Rufus Brevett when deputising both decent and especially Wilson a seven out of ten minimum every game.

Bradley Allen was an excellent shout and agree about Gary Penrice also. Both could have done better with their careers from what I saw.

Similar time but can't remember how often he played but Andy Tillson was a decent centre back.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024