Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
good grief..... 10:31 - Dec 12 with 4532 viewswood_hoop

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/turkish-top-flight-suspended-vile-235043497.html
good grief..... on 10:37 - Dec 12 with 3749 viewsSheffieldHoop

2 words.

Keith Stroud.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

good grief..... on 10:40 - Dec 12 with 3755 viewsloftboy

Seen some of the idiotic comments on Facebook, as someone who was assaulted whilst reffing it’s definitely not a laughing matter.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

good grief..... on 10:43 - Dec 12 with 3717 viewsSheffieldHoop

good grief..... on 10:44 - Dec 12 with 3738 viewssprocket

good grief..... on 10:40 - Dec 12 by loftboy

Seen some of the idiotic comments on Facebook, as someone who was assaulted whilst reffing it’s definitely not a laughing matter.

Agreed. This incident is shocking but I'd imagine not that unusual in the amateur game. In Ireland we have seen GAA refs assaulted too - depressing. Who would want to be a ref?
good grief..... on 11:00 - Dec 12 with 3677 viewsbosh67

Horrific attack.

Ankaragucu should be chucked out the league or at least suspended from playing and Koca and two others should be jailed. Koca definitely at the very least has to be fired by Ankaragucu.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

good grief..... on 11:03 - Dec 12 with 3663 viewsBluce_Ree

Mentioned this in the Greek thread lower down the page but there needs to be massive sanctions against the club. The owner punches him to the ground and then he takes a couple of kicks there.

The club needs relegating with a massive points deduction next season. And the owner needs to go to prison. Even if just for a short time. Imagine what a bullying c*nt that man must be when the cameras aren't on him.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

good grief..... on 11:06 - Dec 12 with 3651 viewsJuzzie

Too much at stake in football these days. Manger’s getting sacked on a regular basis, clubs losing money if targets not achieved. Players on insane salaries. Easy to blame the officials.

Not a good mix.
good grief..... on 12:20 - Dec 12 with 3523 viewsOakR

good grief..... on 11:06 - Dec 12 by Juzzie

Too much at stake in football these days. Manger’s getting sacked on a regular basis, clubs losing money if targets not achieved. Players on insane salaries. Easy to blame the officials.

Not a good mix.

I partly agree, but then what is at stake in amateur football or junior football most of the time? Nothing really, and the abuse threats seems to be awful.

I think they have made a small first step trying to crack down on dissent this season, but it does need much more.

I don't think pundits/ managers / players help much, always criticising refs / VAR but never each other for mistakes of the cheating that goes on to make things much harder.

My son is up to U13 now, and each year up you can see some parents going more and more crazy on the sidelines. I've done the line the last 5 matches, and I noticed 2 new parents turn up at our match, abusing the ref, both of which refused to run the line, which says it all.

Some of these morons should have as part of their sentence 200 hours of reffing games to give them a taste of their own medicine.

I am surprised this isn't a moment all refs go on strike this weekend in protest. Clubs definitely need sanctions as well as the individuals involved.

It is a strange thing though, most people will agree refs at youth football should not be abused, but at professional matches I suspect there is a huge difference in attitudes, and something we are perhaps all guilty of perhaps.

At what age group or level is it ok to shout abuse at the ref?

U10/11/12/13/14/15/16/18
Non-league
L2 up?

If it was in the office it wouldn't be allowed, so why is it in sport?

Random ramblings over....

Poll: Will we stay up?

Login to get fewer ads

good grief..... on 13:06 - Dec 12 with 3447 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Did I read somewhere this week, that refs in amateur football have taken to wearing bodycams?

If so, what a sorry state of affairs for kids to a) try to play and enjoy the game at a young age, b) see their parents behave like bellends, and c) what does it say about society and the nature of some peoples' lives, that this nonsense has become the norm?

As someone said above: it says it all when two parents, giving it the large on the sidelines, then refuse to run the line. All mouth and no trousers.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

good grief..... on 13:08 - Dec 12 with 3417 viewsSheffieldHoop

good grief..... on 13:06 - Dec 12 by PlanetHonneywood

Did I read somewhere this week, that refs in amateur football have taken to wearing bodycams?

If so, what a sorry state of affairs for kids to a) try to play and enjoy the game at a young age, b) see their parents behave like bellends, and c) what does it say about society and the nature of some peoples' lives, that this nonsense has become the norm?

As someone said above: it says it all when two parents, giving it the large on the sidelines, then refuse to run the line. All mouth and no trousers.

Think a trial was done by a county FA up north. Very successful. Seems like a perfectly logical solution to me. Police/Bouncers have them. Why not refs?

good grief..... on 14:24 - Dec 12 with 3287 viewsR_from_afar

good grief..... on 12:20 - Dec 12 by OakR

I partly agree, but then what is at stake in amateur football or junior football most of the time? Nothing really, and the abuse threats seems to be awful.

I think they have made a small first step trying to crack down on dissent this season, but it does need much more.

I don't think pundits/ managers / players help much, always criticising refs / VAR but never each other for mistakes of the cheating that goes on to make things much harder.

My son is up to U13 now, and each year up you can see some parents going more and more crazy on the sidelines. I've done the line the last 5 matches, and I noticed 2 new parents turn up at our match, abusing the ref, both of which refused to run the line, which says it all.

Some of these morons should have as part of their sentence 200 hours of reffing games to give them a taste of their own medicine.

I am surprised this isn't a moment all refs go on strike this weekend in protest. Clubs definitely need sanctions as well as the individuals involved.

It is a strange thing though, most people will agree refs at youth football should not be abused, but at professional matches I suspect there is a huge difference in attitudes, and something we are perhaps all guilty of perhaps.

U10/11/12/13/14/15/16/18
Non-league
L2 up?

A previous employer used to run an annual interdepartmental five a side tournament. We worked on a huge site and were lucky enough to have an on-site gym, complete with a full time instructor, who ran the afore-mentioned tournament.

I was mates with the instructor and before one game, he was desperate for linos and pleaded with me to run the line. Against my better judgement - I don't like the limelight -I reluctantly agreed.

Boy how I regretted it! The abuse and moaning I suffered was incredible! Anyone would've thought it was a gladiatorial contest and that the entire losing team was going to be sentenced to death.

Never again.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

good grief..... on 14:41 - Dec 12 with 3256 viewsNorthernr

You'd need your fcking head examining to take up refereeing these days.

Zero support, zero training, zero money, maximum aggro. The parents were fcking horrendous when I was doing it 20 years ago. I was just a kid myself, refereeing kids a bit younger than me, and you've got Big Ron Manager types on the touchline in their initialled Brumby Beevers U11s tracksuit behaving like it's a fcking Champions League semi-final.

I did Gunness v Messingham U13s one year, I was probably 15/16 years old. I had a dad charge onto the pitch, during the match, to square up against me because I'd refused to show a yellow card to a 12/13 year old boy after he'd committed three fouls in the game. Not a bad foul, not a fight, nothing really. Just Mr Fcking Football wanting a child yellow carded for mistiming three tackles because "in the Premier League" that's a yellow card for repetitive fouling ref.

Now I wouldn't go near the job. Even our Monday Night 5-a-side games regularly descend into violence, or threats of violence. Little cnts saying they're going to stab you afterwards, know people who'll kill you, gotta knife in the bag behind the goal. Cnts deliberately trying to go over the ball and snap your leg because you've dared to take the lead, or have the ball off them. People aggressively surrounding and chasing referees around the pitch. And this is in fcking Islington, it's not like we're playing a midnight cage league in fcking Bermondsey. I've come to hate it really. Broke my hand two months ago and haven't been able to play and haven't missed it once.

To do the job in Turkey you'd have to be certifiable.
good grief..... on 15:43 - Dec 12 with 3149 viewsBluce_Ree

There's a world of c*nts out there, Clive. And they'll use anything as an excuse to act like one.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

good grief..... on 15:44 - Dec 12 with 3147 viewsEsox_Lucius

good grief..... on 14:41 - Dec 12 by Northernr

Zero support, zero training, zero money, maximum aggro. The parents were fcking horrendous when I was doing it 20 years ago. I was just a kid myself, refereeing kids a bit younger than me, and you've got Big Ron Manager types on the touchline in their initialled Brumby Beevers U11s tracksuit behaving like it's a fcking Champions League semi-final.

I did Gunness v Messingham U13s one year, I was probably 15/16 years old. I had a dad charge onto the pitch, during the match, to square up against me because I'd refused to show a yellow card to a 12/13 year old boy after he'd committed three fouls in the game. Not a bad foul, not a fight, nothing really. Just Mr Fcking Football wanting a child yellow carded for mistiming three tackles because "in the Premier League" that's a yellow card for repetitive fouling ref.

Now I wouldn't go near the job. Even our Monday Night 5-a-side games regularly descend into violence, or threats of violence. Little cnts saying they're going to stab you afterwards, know people who'll kill you, gotta knife in the bag behind the goal. Cnts deliberately trying to go over the ball and snap your leg because you've dared to take the lead, or have the ball off them. People aggressively surrounding and chasing referees around the pitch. And this is in fcking Islington, it's not like we're playing a midnight cage league in fcking Bermondsey. I've come to hate it really. Broke my hand two months ago and haven't been able to play and haven't missed it once.

Perhaps our fans could help make a stand by not singing abusive chants at the officials? "Lino, lino you're a cünt" makes me cringe every time I hear it and makes me wonder at the mentality of fans who think it is OK. If I was the touchline official I would be giving every 50/50 to the opposition if was directed at me.

The grass is always greener.

good grief..... on 15:50 - Dec 12 with 3122 viewsfraserc

To be fair, according to the BBC "[Koca] is quoted by news agencies in Turkey as saying he does not accept responsibility, adding: "This incident developed due to the wrong decisions and provocative behaviour of the referee. My aim was to react verbally to the referee and spit in his face".

So that's all right then.
good grief..... on 15:50 - Dec 12 with 3118 viewsPhilmyRs

The money thing I found really surprising. A decent premier league ref is on about £80k I think...Even if you doubled that I'd still decline the job. The abuse, the pressure, the general ridicule from everyone. Can't be many jobs where you make a decision and people kick off about it yet there's still an even split of people thinking you're right, and those thinking you're wrong. You can't win.

But yes, parents watching their kids on the sidelines kicking off is probably the worst. I cringe when I see it. 'Listen mate, it's not this referee that's going to cost your son a career in professional football', now calm the fck down.
good grief..... on 15:53 - Dec 12 with 3111 viewsEsox_Lucius

good grief..... on 15:50 - Dec 12 by fraserc

To be fair, according to the BBC "[Koca] is quoted by news agencies in Turkey as saying he does not accept responsibility, adding: "This incident developed due to the wrong decisions and provocative behaviour of the referee. My aim was to react verbally to the referee and spit in his face".

Judging by the lump under the refs eye he must have had a house brick in his spittle then.

The grass is always greener.

good grief..... on 16:07 - Dec 12 with 3077 viewsNorthernr

good grief..... on 15:50 - Dec 12 by PhilmyRs

The money thing I found really surprising. A decent premier league ref is on about £80k I think...Even if you doubled that I'd still decline the job. The abuse, the pressure, the general ridicule from everyone. Can't be many jobs where you make a decision and people kick off about it yet there's still an even split of people thinking you're right, and those thinking you're wrong. You can't win.

But yes, parents watching their kids on the sidelines kicking off is probably the worst. I cringe when I see it. 'Listen mate, it's not this referee that's going to cost your son a career in professional football', now calm the fck down.

I think it's more than that now, but it should be £1m+ a year. The sport is absolutely awash with money, for a relatively small amount contributed equally by all clubs from the TV pot you could transform refereeing in this country over the next ten years.

The reason the standards of refereeing are so bad is because nobody wants to do it. The abuse, particularly at lower levels, is always cited as the prime reason and that's right. But you'd get far more people wanting to do it regardless of the abuse if it was well paid, if you got proper support, training and mentorship (not jobs for the boys Kevin Friend and Jon Moss types phoning it in)

It should come with a large basic salary, and bonuses for good performances, big games, hitting KPIs etc. There should be money poured into training, recruitment campaigns, facilities. You've got Man Utd moaning last week because it snowed and meant they couldn't fly (!!) to Newcastle, had to get the bus the poor loves - then you drive to games along the M62 or A1 and you see referees there in official tracksuits at the West Cornwall Pasty Co buying lunch, driving themselves to their own games that afternoon.

By making it a genuinely attractive financial package, and offering people to literally the chance to be involved in Premier League football in a reasonably short amount of time, you'd drastically increase the numbers of people doing it, which then gives you a far wider talent pool to pick from than they have at the moment.

You could literally transform refereeing in the UK for the cost of one Chelsea signing.
good grief..... on 16:49 - Dec 12 with 3003 viewsPhilmyRs

good grief..... on 16:07 - Dec 12 by Northernr

I think it's more than that now, but it should be £1m+ a year. The sport is absolutely awash with money, for a relatively small amount contributed equally by all clubs from the TV pot you could transform refereeing in this country over the next ten years.

The reason the standards of refereeing are so bad is because nobody wants to do it. The abuse, particularly at lower levels, is always cited as the prime reason and that's right. But you'd get far more people wanting to do it regardless of the abuse if it was well paid, if you got proper support, training and mentorship (not jobs for the boys Kevin Friend and Jon Moss types phoning it in)

It should come with a large basic salary, and bonuses for good performances, big games, hitting KPIs etc. There should be money poured into training, recruitment campaigns, facilities. You've got Man Utd moaning last week because it snowed and meant they couldn't fly (!!) to Newcastle, had to get the bus the poor loves - then you drive to games along the M62 or A1 and you see referees there in official tracksuits at the West Cornwall Pasty Co buying lunch, driving themselves to their own games that afternoon.

By making it a genuinely attractive financial package, and offering people to literally the chance to be involved in Premier League football in a reasonably short amount of time, you'd drastically increase the numbers of people doing it, which then gives you a far wider talent pool to pick from than they have at the moment.

You could literally transform refereeing in the UK for the cost of one Chelsea signing.

Interesting observations. I’m not sure where I stand on this. While I stated I’d never do the job for the money on offer, and agree making a job a more attractive financial package like you suggested will widen the pool of candidates, I just wonder if refereeing is different, and that by trying to encourage a different type of applicant, it may actually backfire in the long-run.

I think you need to be a certain type of character to become a referee. I tend to find the best have a bit of personality and instinct in their decision making, skills I don’t think are easy to train. I worry that ending up with a 150+ 21 year olds fresh out of grad school, capable of writing a thesis on the amount of tape a player is permitted to wear isn’t going to improve the spectacle, although they may technically know the rules a lot better. Football is very much about interpretation and training/learning skills as part of refereeing is very different to learning skills as a player. It’s the reason I can’t stand VAR, how certain events on a Football field are ‘interpreted’. How many times have we heard “well by the letter of the law, but…” If you have some expensive refereeing academy where up and coming referees are earning decent wages and getting some expensive training package, I worry about the impact they will have on games – a jobsworth style of refereeing perhaps which would ruin the spectacle even more.

Abuse is the issue and how referees are treated. Focussing on improving the standard of referees as part of the solution, feels to me that it’s not really dealing with the fundamental issue of how people act towards a ref. Almost like at the moment they’re justified in their actions, but get a different type of referee and these type of things will stop. I just think you need to really clamp down on it. Sin bins for moaning too much, managers banished to the stands straight away. You enforce those things, you stop a lot of the problems.
good grief..... on 17:10 - Dec 12 with 2943 viewsJuzzie

good grief..... on 12:20 - Dec 12 by OakR

U10/11/12/13/14/15/16/18
Non-league
L2 up?

My remark was aimed at the professional levels where there is a lot at stake but you’re right that at, particularly, kids level there’s nothing. My boy’s U9 team is pretty much parent rant-free though we have had the odd couple of occasions where opposing parents have been asked to calm down. One against Cheam, recently, Cheam! Green wellied Karen’s moaning about every decision that didn’t go their way then refused to engage with us at the end because we had the temerity to be the first team not to lose (we drew 2-2) against them this season and they couldn’t handle it. Even a couple of their boys were crying at the end because they didn’t win. Awwww, little darlings.

At least their Manager told them to calm down so hopefully they realised. Doubt it though.

[Post edited 12 Dec 2023 17:16]
good grief..... on 17:23 - Dec 12 with 2890 viewshamptonhillhoop

good grief..... on 15:50 - Dec 12 by fraserc

It's not the best defence I've heard
good grief..... on 17:40 - Dec 12 with 2861 viewsR_from_afar

good grief..... on 14:41 - Dec 12 by Northernr

Your story of those five a side games reminds me of a football session I used to play in in the Warwick area. I got invited along by a fairly senior, very successful, sales guy at work.

Well, I turned up and found that many of the players were very good club footballers who played for the local town. The standard was high, way above my level, but by keeping things simple, I could contribute something and avoid looking too rubbish.

The people, though . I didn't get into any scrapes with them myself but they were very aggressive and highly strung and things could get very ugly very quickly if someone was disrespectful or put in a dodgy challenge.

I arrived at the pitch prior to kick off one night only to see a metal lamppost next to the pitch swaying wildly even though there was barely a breeze. One of the players had got hold of it and was shaking it as if he were King Kong. Someone watching us play later commented that they had seen the lamppost guy taking crack in the town centre. Man alive, I thought, this is dicey

There was one game in which my work colleague got really upset due to what he thought was a dirty tackle. He had to be restrained as he attempted to thump the perpetrator but thereafter, some of the opposition players kept deliberately tapping his ankles to wind him up. Nasty.

I invited a good friend from work along one time. He was a tough and very worldly wise Scouser and moved in some rather murky circles - for example, he claimed to know someone who would beat people up for money - so I thought he'd be able to hack the footie session.

He seemed to enjoy the game so when I saw him the next day at work, I asked him what he thought of the experience. Without a moment's hesitation, he replied: "It was like prison football."

I kept going to the session, then one evening, I turned up and there was no one there. Perhaps they'd all joined the SAS....or The Wagner Group.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

good grief..... on 18:43 - Dec 12 with 2753 viewsslmrstid

There's a chap at my running club who is a retired police officer but 20 odd years ago also worked as a referee in the Southern League, and assistant referee in the Conference (in the days before the extra National League North/South level was introduced between the two).

He is an absolute no-nonsense character and is the sort who'd be perfect for an officiating role. I'm not sure I'd mentally be able to hack it.

He's told me about some of the abuse he used to get at non-league grounds, including at Kettering Town's old Rockingham Road ground where they used to hate him refereeing. He told me one year after Kettering had been promoted to the Conference he ran the line at one of their home games, then coming over to the home terrace opposite the main stand at the start of a second half had someone yell at him "Lino! I thought you were a sh*t ref but this ref is even fkn worse than you!" which he says he just found funny. But that sort of stuff would ruin a lot of people.
good grief..... on 20:10 - Dec 12 with 2666 viewsloftboy

good grief..... on 18:43 - Dec 12 by slmrstid

There's a chap at my running club who is a retired police officer but 20 odd years ago also worked as a referee in the Southern League, and assistant referee in the Conference (in the days before the extra National League North/South level was introduced between the two).

He is an absolute no-nonsense character and is the sort who'd be perfect for an officiating role. I'm not sure I'd mentally be able to hack it.

He's told me about some of the abuse he used to get at non-league grounds, including at Kettering Town's old Rockingham Road ground where they used to hate him refereeing. He told me one year after Kettering had been promoted to the Conference he ran the line at one of their home games, then coming over to the home terrace opposite the main stand at the start of a second half had someone yell at him "Lino! I thought you were a sh*t ref but this ref is even fkn worse than you!" which he says he just found funny. But that sort of stuff would ruin a lot of people.

I used to run the line in the suburban league, down at Hungerford I had a bloke running behind me checking on my decisions, every time I flagged I’d get “ correct decision Lino” “ bad one that Lino”
Went on for the whole game, then in the clubhouse after he kept glaring at me and shaking his head.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

good grief..... on 20:26 - Dec 12 with 2617 viewsted_hendrix

good grief..... on 20:10 - Dec 12 by loftboy

I used to run the line in the suburban league, down at Hungerford I had a bloke running behind me checking on my decisions, every time I flagged I’d get “ correct decision Lino” “ bad one that Lino”
Went on for the whole game, then in the clubhouse after he kept glaring at me and shaking his head.

That was Charlie Austin.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024