Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Review of Saints Game 18:17 - Dec 23 with 9029 viewsnumptydumpty

We are such a frustrating team

At least we are better organised defensively under Cifuentes

But up top there is limited creativity and zero end product.

Have to say I have seen enough of both Dykes and Armstrong now also.

Kelman was never going to be good enough anyhow.

Dykes has no predatory instincts and is the opposite of clinical

Armstrong lacks control, is a bulldozer and would cause havoc in league two with Kelman a bench player at league two level.

I would if I was Marty and money is possible then get in two strikers from Scandinavian leagues and have Kohli on bench. Why not ??

We need to somehow move Dykes, Armstrong and Kelman on. Clearly we cannot do this unless we have anything coming in but if we can all three of Dykes, Armstrong and Kelman they have no impact.

Maybe Armstrong should be a league.one loan but Dykes and Kelman have to go.

Admittedly Chair holds onto the ball so often but there are almost never any viable options to cross too.

The new manager bounce is over.

But our bench is so limited

Even then after five subs all attacking options Taylor Richards did not come on. I don't know if anyone noticed but whilst all the others were involved in group training warm up, keep ball and shooting routines, Richards was doing keepy uppy's in the centre circle. Did manage about fifty in sequence so fair play - aye !!!

Why did I ever begin to support this football team , I sometimes wish otherwise. Saddled for life...

Cmon you rrr s
[Post edited 23 Dec 2023 18:18]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Review of Saints Game on 18:22 - Dec 23 with 6016 viewsDamo1962

Perfectly sums up the situation... especially that last bit 😉🎄
Review of Saints Game on 18:32 - Dec 23 with 5996 viewsThe_Beast1976

Fully agree with the OP re Dykes, Armstrong and Kelman. None of them anywhere near good enough. A dead corpse has more predatory instinct than all 3 of them put together.
Review of Saints Game on 18:45 - Dec 23 with 5919 viewsPaddyhoops

Thought we did well today . Soft goal once again but agree we are so bereft up front . We’re not surviving with a striker who will be lucky to end up
With 6 goals this season.
Should have take Millwall offer for him .
JSC did well as did Dunne but brain farts from both near the end spoiled decent performances.
EDB looks a fine prospect and lycharce was once again a big plus.
They brought on Adams and Frazier . We got Adomah and Kellman . Enough said.
Oh and their keeper cost 20 million.
Review of Saints Game on 19:16 - Dec 23 with 5748 viewsstainrods_elbow

Review of Saints Game on 18:45 - Dec 23 by Paddyhoops

Thought we did well today . Soft goal once again but agree we are so bereft up front . We’re not surviving with a striker who will be lucky to end up
JSC did well as did Dunne but brain farts from both near the end spoiled decent performances.

If Millwall come back with 2m for Dykes in Jan, that's good business for me, and we should take it gratefully. Kelman shouldn't be in any manager's plans at this level -he makes Conor Washington look like Ian Rush. I see Armstrong as an impact winger at best, and perhaps he may yet come good, but we don't have the time to wait and see. I just don't see how replacements for any of them could do worse.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Review of Saints Game on 19:29 - Dec 23 with 5698 viewsstevec

Review of Saints Game on 18:45 - Dec 23 by Paddyhoops

They could have put Lumley on second half and we still wouldn’t have scored.
Review of Saints Game on 19:38 - Dec 23 with 5651 viewscolinallcars

They didn't announce the subs at the start of the game. I saw the subs warming up but no Taylor Richards. It's only when I saw the subs on the offish after the game that I realised he was on the bench.
We've got to offload this merchant ASAP.
Review of Saints Game on 19:46 - Dec 23 with 5592 viewsLandshark

Not sure why Dykes always gets a bad rep. He was never a 1 in 3 striker, our scouting team surely knew this before buying him, he's a striker that is there to hold up the ball and needs good service in order for him to score. Our team is not one that provides the kind of service a striker like him needs. It was interesting that as soon as he went off the pitch there was a cross put into the box that would have been perfect for him.

Our team just suffers in the final 3rd, it has been like that for years now. We don't create enough, Willock should have been taken off at half time, his confidence looked shot again.
Review of Saints Game on 21:01 - Dec 23 with 5314 viewsNorthantsHoop

Review of Saints Game on 19:46 - Dec 23 by Landshark

Not sure why Dykes always gets a bad rep. He was never a 1 in 3 striker, our scouting team surely knew this before buying him, he's a striker that is there to hold up the ball and needs good service in order for him to score. Our team is not one that provides the kind of service a striker like him needs. It was interesting that as soon as he went off the pitch there was a cross put into the box that would have been perfect for him.

Our team just suffers in the final 3rd, it has been like that for years now. We don't create enough, Willock should have been taken off at half time, his confidence looked shot again.

Actually thought Willock had a good second half. With Dykes maybe boil face at Sunderland will give us some dosh for him in January allowing Cifuentes to spend a little on some Scandinavian diamond of a striker that no one knows about yet.
Login to get fewer ads

Review of Saints Game on 21:20 - Dec 23 with 5223 viewsManinBlack

When I watch us it feels like we are a lower league team playing a cup tie in half of our fixtures as the opposition seems to have Premier league players. Their squads are better so they can bring on expensive players while we bring on a 37 year old has been past his sell by date. The Premiership rewards failure rather like Avanti shareholders get rewarded for cancelling half their services every week. In doing so it has turned the Championship into Premier League two squeezing out the competition with skint clubs scrabbling to avoid league 1.

We can't score because we can't afford a semi decent striker as the best there is will go to the clubs who can pay them handsomely. It now seems if we ever beat teams like Southampton, Burnley, Leicester etc like a giant killing as it's not a level playing field thanks to the big money.

QPR, while they are poor financially, can only compete in leagues 1 and 2 or in non keague where money is not such an issue. Rotherham are proof of it where they do well in league 1 but in Premier league 2 they are a fish out of water with no dosh to speak of.
Review of Saints Game on 21:24 - Dec 23 with 5206 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Review of Saints Game on 21:01 - Dec 23 by NorthantsHoop

Actually thought Willock had a good second half. With Dykes maybe boil face at Sunderland will give us some dosh for him in January allowing Cifuentes to spend a little on some Scandinavian diamond of a striker that no one knows about yet.

Willock cost us on that breakaway not sending Chair through to possibly equalise instean taking it wide right and winning a corner which came to nothing .
He is pretty slow since the double hamstring but I cannot remember how quick he actually was ever.
I know about the squad and wages but Southampton broke at will with speed then made great desisions with crosses /passes into the danger area .
We did block shots with intent which is nice to see and definatly kept it at 1-0.
A lot of talk about Dykes on this thread but there is NO way he should be hauled off with Smyth and Armstrong coming on.
Austin took the pressure of him and was a great pro to finish half chances 2 years ago it looks like Dykes cannot excel being the main man
Review of Saints Game on 21:40 - Dec 23 with 5115 viewsQPR_John

Review of Saints Game on 21:20 - Dec 23 by ManinBlack

When I watch us it feels like we are a lower league team playing a cup tie in half of our fixtures as the opposition seems to have Premier league players. Their squads are better so they can bring on expensive players while we bring on a 37 year old has been past his sell by date. The Premiership rewards failure rather like Avanti shareholders get rewarded for cancelling half their services every week. In doing so it has turned the Championship into Premier League two squeezing out the competition with skint clubs scrabbling to avoid league 1.

We can't score because we can't afford a semi decent striker as the best there is will go to the clubs who can pay them handsomely. It now seems if we ever beat teams like Southampton, Burnley, Leicester etc like a giant killing as it's not a level playing field thanks to the big money.

QPR, while they are poor financially, can only compete in leagues 1 and 2 or in non keague where money is not such an issue. Rotherham are proof of it where they do well in league 1 but in Premier league 2 they are a fish out of water with no dosh to speak of.

Exactly how I felt today
Review of Saints Game on 21:59 - Dec 23 with 5039 viewsNed_Kennedys

Review of Saints Game on 21:01 - Dec 23 by NorthantsHoop

Willock was ok 1st half but was poor second half: would’ve subbed him earlier.
Review of Saints Game on 22:15 - Dec 23 with 4958 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Could have been playing all day and not scored. 2nd half, twice the ball was whipped across the Southampton goal, at head height which only needed a touch to go in.
Dykes missed the first, Armstrong the second. Neither even tried diving.

Frustrating, as Southampton were not all that, and we had chances.
Review of Saints Game on 22:16 - Dec 23 with 4955 viewsRangers67

Unless there is another bloke called Dykes playing for us then I can tell you why he gets a bad rep …..he is farming useless
Review of Saints Game on 22:23 - Dec 23 with 4921 viewsCateLeBonR

Enjoyed the game thought it was good quality.

Hard one to mark players on because we lost and didn't score but I thought we played very well individually and as a team.

Begovic 6
Cannon 5
Dunne 6
JCS 7
Paal 6
Field 6
Dozzell 6
Bonner 6
illy 7
Willy 6
Dykes 6

JCS mom for me. A bit harsh on Cannon maybe as in some ways it was his most complete performance for us, i thought. Like him 👍
Review of Saints Game on 22:44 - Dec 23 with 4834 viewsLadbrokeR

One in three if only
Review of Saints Game on 22:55 - Dec 23 with 4757 viewsstainrods_elbow

Review of Saints Game on 22:44 - Dec 23 by LadbrokeR

One in three if only

But he doesn't hold the ball up either, as Kevin G was lamenting on the WLS podcast this week. Exactly what he brings to the team is increasingly lost on me.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Review of Saints Game on 23:27 - Dec 23 with 4649 viewsLblock

“At least we are better organised defensively”

Yep…….. really looked it for their pisspoor goal from yet another set piece.
Then I’ve got Jimmy Dumb telling me to get my head up an stay positive at the end of the game? Fcuk off mate - to think I used to rate you.

After circling the drain for a few years now this lot seem a fitting bunch to finally flush us.
We were largely shite
In patches okay
Saints sluggish on the road but did enough in second gear
Our strike “force” powder puff
Central midfield totally passive
Back five slow as rust
The bench has no business being at Championship level

In summary….. rain

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Review of Saints Game on 23:50 - Dec 23 with 4618 viewsAntti_Heinola

Review of Saints Game on 22:15 - Dec 23 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Could have been playing all day and not scored. 2nd half, twice the ball was whipped across the Southampton goal, at head height which only needed a touch to go in.
Dykes missed the first, Armstrong the second. Neither even tried diving.

Frustrating, as Southampton were not all that, and we had chances.

Twice?
Four superb balls flashed across that box after the break, plus at least one in the first half. The great ‘Dykes needs early balls’ myth looks less true every week. He’s never anywhere near any ball in the box.
Bit baffled by the willock comments on here. Thought he had a good game, won more of the ball than I’ve ever seen him do, and thought he’s looking more and more like his old self. He’ll be out for a while now though, sadly.

Bare bones.

Review of Saints Game on 23:54 - Dec 23 with 4604 viewsAntti_Heinola

Review of Saints Game on 22:23 - Dec 23 by CateLeBonR

Hard one to mark players on because we lost and didn't score but I thought we played very well individually and as a team.

Begovic 6
Cannon 5
Dunne 6
JCS 7
Paal 6
Field 6
Dozzell 6
Bonner 6
illy 7
Willy 6
Dykes 6

JCS mom for me. A bit harsh on Cannon maybe as in some ways it was his most complete performance for us, i thought. Like him 👍

Cannon didn’t get forward much, but marking Edozie is one of the toughest jobs in this league, especially when at first he had walker-peters backing him up,
I’m disappointed with the result, but not the performance. Thought we played well but lacked a bit in the box. If we can keep that level and find a bit more incisiveness we’re a decent side. Field much better today, as was Dunne tbf.

Bare bones.

Review of Saints Game on 00:00 - Dec 24 with 4574 viewsParkRoyalR

Review of Saints Game on 23:50 - Dec 23 by Antti_Heinola

Twice?
Four superb balls flashed across that box after the break, plus at least one in the first half. The great ‘Dykes needs early balls’ myth looks less true every week. He’s never anywhere near any ball in the box.
Bit baffled by the willock comments on here. Thought he had a good game, won more of the ball than I’ve ever seen him do, and thought he’s looking more and more like his old self. He’ll be out for a while now though, sadly.

Myths heh, yes up there with Chair plays with his head down + takes too many touches.
Review of Saints Game on 00:17 - Dec 24 with 4535 viewsbenhurst

Review of Saints Game on 22:23 - Dec 23 by CateLeBonR

Begovic 6
Cannon 5
Dunne 6
JCS 7
Paal 6
Field 6
Dozzell 6
Bonner 6
illy 7
Willy 6
Dykes 6

Dunne on a lower score than JCS is very harsh, thought he was excellent and looked a completely different player to the last couple of weeks
[Post edited 24 Dec 2023 0:17]
Review of Saints Game on 00:59 - Dec 24 with 4452 viewsPunteR

This playing out from the back needs to improve. Not sure if its the defenders not being able to pick a pass or midfield not moving about enough into the right positions to retrieve.?
Sunderland were decent i thought. Moved the ball well into wide areas and stretched us. Our problems are up in the final third though.
Dykes is not productive enough ,just makes up the numbers , don't know how he's an international player.
We're missing a baller in midfield. I like Dixon Bonner but i thought he didn't get into this game. Dozzel just doesn't boss it and is a passenger most the time. Field is ok at the defensive side of things breaking up play etc but i don't think he has the ability to pick a pass like Faurlin used to. Smyth was ok and Chair probably our best player.
There's no communication between Willock and Dykes that looks a pretty sour working relationship.
We're playing better now under Marti, better shape and trying to play football I'm just not convinced these players are good enough. Another home defeat.
Would rather have stayed in the pub.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Review of Saints Game on 01:15 - Dec 24 with 4429 viewsNed_Kennedys

Review of Saints Game on 22:55 - Dec 23 by stainrods_elbow

But he doesn't hold the ball up either, as Kevin G was lamenting on the WLS podcast this week. Exactly what he brings to the team is increasingly lost on me.

Feck me you need to get to an actual game or two: one of his strengths as shown today is holding the ball up and laying off to teammates which he did successfully all game.
Review of Saints Game on 04:28 - Dec 24 with 4289 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Review of Saints Game on 21:24 - Dec 23 by CLAREMAN1995

Willock cost us on that breakaway not sending Chair through to possibly equalise instean taking it wide right and winning a corner which came to nothing .
He is pretty slow since the double hamstring but I cannot remember how quick he actually was ever.
I know about the squad and wages but Southampton broke at will with speed then made great desisions with crosses /passes into the danger area .
We did block shots with intent which is nice to see and definatly kept it at 1-0.
A lot of talk about Dykes on this thread but there is NO way he should be hauled off with Smyth and Armstrong coming on.
Austin took the pressure of him and was a great pro to finish half chances 2 years ago it looks like Dykes cannot excel being the main man

Great point about Austin improving Dykes when he came back on loan. We need to get someone similar in ASAP. Beggars belief that we went into this season so light up top. Feel really sorry for Marti having to throw on Armstrong and Kelman when we're looking for a goal when they have one senior goal between them. Who the hell thought that was enough looking at our squad?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024